What’s up with Fresno?

Comments

• craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,298
    edited May 2022
    BF25394 said:
    PSUS2H said:
    Dare I say...... Vault 12?
    I'm not so sure these bootlegs are going to sound so great.  It was very cool being there to witness this, but the band clearly sounds off without Matt, and Eddie's vocals were a struggle last night.  He relied on the crowd to sing as much as he could, understandably.
    I think its worth it for some of those rare tracks... but agreed when you listen to the tapes off the board it may sound like Ed's mic is going in and out.. Crowd sang most of it.. for sure.. which was so much fun.. Its a show better served to those that were there! .. Now it sets up nicely for Sac . Im hoping they finish 10 plus the other songs Dave played in 91.. Leash, Wash etc. 
    Post edited by craigraether on
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352

mrussel1 said:
    How full was the arena?  
    65-70% - but direct sides of stage and behind were not sold at all - I would guess 10,000 or so where if full and sides behind etc  would hold 16000. 

I would say it was markedly more full than that.  The upper deck was dark so it didn't FEEL like that if that was indeed the amount of people there at least.
    I agree with you.  The floor and lower bowl were at least 90 percent full, aside from the sections behind the stage that were curtained off.  The upper bowl was about half-full.

I kind of wondered if some tickets were given away because I was surrounded in Section 111 by very enthusiastic fans who seemed not especially familiar with Pearl Jam.  The guy next to me asked me if they were the band that did "Even Flow."  The guys behind me were discussing what they might open with and for how long they'd play.  Their guess was "Better Man" and about an hour.  The same guys, after Eddie told the story of how he came to write "Deep," about a guy doing heroin while sitting in a windowsill, guessed that they were going to play "Alive."  The woman two seats to my right asked who Stone was when he came out to play with Josh during the Pluralone set.  And then you had things like no hands going up for the "Hallelujah" part of "Do the Evolution," or no one screaming back "Don't cry, etc." in "Baba O'Riley."  And yet all of these people seemed to be really enjoying themselves, on their feet throughout, cheering, whistling and so on.  The three guys to my right looked like Fresno State students.  Again, I don't know how familiar they were beyond a few songs, but they were rocking out and having a great time.

It was definitely one the strangest evenings at a Pearl Jam show of the 70 I've been fortunate to experience.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited May 2022
    . My beautiful wife and the legend Rob after the show  🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽 Happy 300!!
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:

Hit the road early to enjoy the day at Yosemite.

Walked into GA last night after 6pm.

Nice man. I am strolling around San Francisco right now.

👍

I don’t know about you but I’m catching up on sleep tonight in Sacramento.
    Fuck man I am not in shape for this shit. You think after watching Fullhouse when I was younger it would of warned me
    Did that walk up Lombard st on Friday.  Even for us runners it wasn’t easy. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    I was all excited because it was my 70th show and then that son-of-a-gun gets all the love for his 300th!  I felt like such an amateur. :smile:
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    I gotta ask about the tatt… is it in remembrance of the Spectrum show? 😂
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    Just occurred to me: wonder how that drunk guy who crashed head first on the stairs is doing?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    100 Pacer said:
    Just occurred to me: wonder how that drunk guy who crashed head first on the stairs is doing?
               I hope he's ok!  
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374

I gotta ask about the tatt… is it in remembrance of the Spectrum show? 😂
    Of course. Never forget the spectrum. Lol.

No we got married on that date. Wife and I got matching Jack O Lantern tattoos and the dates to commemorate. 

Renewed our vows on Halloween 2020 and got matching Beatles Tattoos. This Friday is 17 years of being a couple. My best friend and concert companion. 

We were really lucky to have had Fresno...
  • elcazador83elcazador83 Posts: 100
    Fresno was so epic that the band couldn't recover.

@pearljammr78 I think I was next to you in the pit. Thanks for the info and help leading up to the show. It was amazing and can't wait to do it again.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    I left my heart in Fresno.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 10271027 Posts: 10
    BF25394 said:

I kind of wondered if some tickets were given away because I was surrounded in Section 111 by very enthusiastic fans who seemed not especially familiar with Pearl Jam.  The guy next to me asked me if they were the band that did "Even Flow."  The guys behind me were discussing what they might open with and for how long they'd play.  Their guess was "Better Man" and about an hour.  The same guys, after Eddie told the story of how he came to write "Deep," about a guy doing heroin while sitting in a windowsill, guessed that they were going to play "Alive."  The woman two seats to my right asked who Stone was when he came out to play with Josh during the Pluralone set.  And then you had things like no hands going up for the "Hallelujah" part of "Do the Evolution," or no one screaming back "Don't cry, etc." in "Baba O'Riley."  And yet all of these people seemed to be really enjoying themselves, on their feet throughout, cheering, whistling and so on.  The three guys to my right looked like Fresno State students.  Again, I don't know how familiar they were beyond a few songs, but they were rocking out and having a great time.

It was definitely one the strangest evenings at a Pearl Jam show of the 70 I've been fortunate to experience.
    I believe I overheard that this was a group from the surf ranch. They went crazy when Eddie was talking about his love for Lemoore and the surf ranch then he pointed to them. 
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    BF25394 said:
    PSUS2H said:
    Dare I say...... Vault 12?
    I'm not so sure these bootlegs are going to sound so great.  It was very cool being there to witness this, but the band clearly sounds off without Matt, and Eddie's vocals were a struggle last night.  He relied on the crowd to sing as much as he could, understandably.
    The crowd definitely made up for Ed’s struggles. (What a savage Ed is. Much respect. )That was the loudest crowd for any show I’ve seen in Fresno. Singing loud. I was worried before the show cause Fresno crowds are usually there more to party than the music but last night definitely wasn’t that. Still blown away on so many levels. 21st PJ show, 22nd tomorrow. 🤘🏽🤘🏽
    Took my friend from work and she’s a super concert goer. Her first PJ show. Needless to say her mind was blown. She had such a great time. 
    And got to share the 300th show with the legend Rob. Coolest dude. Great times. 
    I agree, I gotta say I'm impressed by the fans for the Oakland and Fresno shows. All three nights sounded loud and enthusiastic as hell, I think most of us realized the band needed our help to get them through it. Would've been such a bummer with a bored/lackluster crowd but I think we all showed the band some great love. 
    1027 said:
    BF25394 said:

I believe I overheard that this was a group from the surf ranch. They went crazy when Eddie was talking about his love for Lemoore and the surf ranch then he pointed to them. 
    He pointed to the other side of the arena when he said that.  These were random people who had no connection to one another.
      I was blown away @Fresno how Eddie did (many) cool back- bend poses w/ the mic stand during performances, after telling& displaying he was under-the-weather-just awesome (for being sick, I dont know how he did it so well ) Was great 
    along w/ Mike's energy & moves- It was hella hot- crazy/cool
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    I think deep down we all knew Fresno was going to be the best of these new shows.

It was always Fresno, it could only ever be Fresno. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    Fitting that Fresno will be their last show for awhile.   All future tours must end here.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fitting that Fresno will be their last show for awhile.   All future tours must end here.  
    Here here. Even the overseas ones. 
    Fresno was so epic that the band couldn't recover.

@pearljammr78 I think I was next to you in the pit. Thanks for the info and help leading up to the show. It was amazing and can't wait to do it again.
    Awesome. Glad I could help. Hopefully I didn’t step on your toes rocking out. Lol. Till next time. 🤘🏽🤘🏽
  • JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    Considering I had two tickets for Fresno I paid $450 for but didn’t go and couldn’t sell, these “epic” comments are brutal to read.  Glad everyone enjoyed it; just wish I had extended my stay. Guess I fucked up 😝 
    JimmyV said:
    I think deep down we all knew Fresno was going to be the best of these new shows.

It was always Fresno, it could only ever be Fresno. 
              Amen
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    With the cancellation of Sac and LV the chances are that whenever they play again Matt will be back in action.  This means the historical appearance by Dave K at Fresno a probable OTOTO.  Was glad to be there.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    What does OTOTO mean. 
    What does OTOTO mean. 
    One time, one time only

The Fresno Waltz

• GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362
    Oakland 2 > Fresno
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    GP179117 said:
    Oakland 2 > Fresno
    Glad to hear that. Oakland 2 was great.  The comments such Fresno was much better.
  • GP179117 said:
    Oakland 2 > Fresno
    Rock and roll beauty is in the eye of the beholder (listener?)....Was at both and somehow felt that Fresno was "better" which may have been related to being entirely ready to be just whelmed---not over nor under...just whelmed in Fresno...  Frankly was overwhelmed by how more than decent it was....add a bit of original drummer magic potion to the pot and you have a steaming bowl of good musical stew....