Options

Hunter Biden Laptop Controversy

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    edited December 2023
    Man, the US government really goes hard after people who cheat on their taxes. 

(not age-appropriate image removed by admin)
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think Hunter wants to do it publicly either, it was his excuse not to testify. You think he wants to talk about his drug habits and spending hundreds of thousands on prostitutes to the public? Its not like this all happened a lifetime ago, its just a few years he admitted to using cocaine daily and spending an unaccounted $million + in cash..
    Now I don't think it means anything about how his dad is connected. I just don't think he wanted to testify and that was his out. 

he wrote a fucking book..,....

lol
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think Hunter wants to do it publicly either, it was his excuse not to testify. You think he wants to talk about his drug habits and spending hundreds of thousands on prostitutes to the public? Its not like this all happened a lifetime ago, its just a few years he admitted to using cocaine daily and spending an unaccounted $million + in cash..
    Now I don't think it means anything about how his dad is connected. I just don't think he wanted to testify and that was his out. 
    Than the GOP should call his bluff. 

But they won't, because this is a manufactured scandal. 
    Depends on what you mean by manufactured. The actual charges or the crime family link?
    I doubt the IRS typically looks the other way on not paying millions in taxes. I got served at work for not paying like $400 in taxes because I cashed out some investments to pay a medical bill and forgot to include it on my taxes, and that was months after I had already paid it. I was pretty pissed to be getting served at work for something I already paid. Can only imagine how hard they go after $1 million.

Now I know that doesn't mean Joe is involved. 
    Yeah, because this is all SOP for tax evasion and not a politically motivated witch hunt. Good call. 

The GOP should call him on his bluff and have him testify publically and prove to us once and for all that this isn't a manufactured scandal, like Hillary's emails, and the Ukraine bio labs, and Hunter's server in Ukraine among others.

How do you entertain such blatant nonsense? 
    I think it's both. The IRS will go after you if you owe over a million in taxes no matter who you are. Is there a debate over that? People have gone to jail for owing less in taxes.

Now I agree the GOP only cares and wants to make it public story because of who he is. They aren't so determined to back up the IRS on anyone else, I agree with that. And that they are trying to use this to tie into Joe.  But that doesn't change the fact he spent millions in cash and didn't pay taxes on it and probably doesn't want to talk publicly about his sex life and his spending habits. There's a difference between writing a book about an addiction you overcame, and answering questions on how you spend hundreds of thousands on prostitutes. 
    The GOP should call his bluff and do an open hearing. I doubt he really wants to. And the GOP won't because it does allow them to continue the story of "what do you have to hide by not complying?" story and holding him in contempt. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

That's a good point, but I haven't read it. I assume they would ask more questions that what he opened up about in the book. I know he talked about his drug addiction, but did he discuss how much he was spending on prostitutes? You know they are going to ask about the $2 million in cash he was spending. He might not want to be talking about that under oath in public. I wouldn't. 
    Hunter Biden has stated that he would like to testify publicly, and the GOP are so far the only reason that isn't happening.

If Republicans genuinely believed that there was a provable issue here, they would want nothing more than to damage the Biden name and grill Hunter Biden on the record and publicly, and/or to play the game of chicken you refer to until Hunter Biden refuses.

If, however, they didn't genuinely believe that, they would want to keep it private, and not reveal that to the public.

Am I missing something? This feels incredibly clear.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

That's a good point, but I haven't read it. I assume they would ask more questions that what he opened up about in the book. I know he talked about his drug addiction, but did he discuss how much he was spending on prostitutes? You know they are going to ask about the $2 million in cash he was spending. He might not want to be talking about that under oath in public. I wouldn't. 
    Hunter Biden has stated that he would like to testify publicly, and the GOP are so far the only reason that isn't happening.

If Republicans genuinely believed that there was a provable issue here, they would want nothing more than to damage the Biden name and grill Hunter Biden on the record and publicly, and/or to play the game of chicken you refer to until Hunter Biden refuses.

If, however, they didn't genuinely believe that, they would want to keep it private, and not reveal that to the public.

Am I missing something? This feels incredibly clear.
    I agree with that. I was just saying I doubt Hunter really wants to testify, and that was his excuse. But as far as your take on the GOP angle, I agree. I just think if he was offered a public hearing, he would have found a way out of that too, or seek another plea deal or something to avoid it. That's just my opinion on it.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,692
    mace1229 said:
    If you think this is a bluff, then it's the stupidest one of all time. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Depends on what you mean by manufactured. The actual charges or the crime family link?
    I doubt the IRS typically looks the other way on not paying millions in taxes. I got served at work for not paying like $400 in taxes because I cashed out some investments to pay a medical bill and forgot to include it on my taxes, and that was months after I had already paid it. I was pretty pissed to be getting served at work for something I already paid. Can only imagine how hard they go after $1 million.

Yeah, because this is all SOP for tax evasion and not a politically motivated witch hunt. Good call. 

The GOP should call him on his bluff and have him testify publically and prove to us once and for all that this isn't a manufactured scandal, like Hillary's emails, and the Ukraine bio labs, and Hunter's server in Ukraine among others.

I think it's both. The IRS will go after you if you owe over a million in taxes no matter who you are. Is there a debate over that? People have gone to jail for owing less in taxes.

Now I agree the GOP only cares and wants to make it public story because of who he is. They aren't so determined to back up the IRS on anyone else, I agree with that. And that they are trying to use this to tie into Joe.  But that doesn't change the fact he spent millions in cash and didn't pay taxes on it and probably doesn't want to talk publicly about his sex life and his spending habits. There's a difference between writing a book about an addiction you overcame, and answering questions on how you spend hundreds of thousands on prostitutes. 
    The GOP should call his bluff and do an open hearing. I doubt he really wants to. And the GOP won't because it does allow them to continue the story of "what do you have to hide by not complying?" story and holding him in contempt. 
    I have zero problem w/ the IRS going after anyone who cheats on their taxes. In fact, I wholeheartedly endorse it. But that's not what this is about, and we all know it. (while on the subject, has tfg released his tax returns yet?) 

So, trying to understand your second paragraph... after yesterday's press conference, your assertion is that GOP only cares and wants to make this a public story because of who he is, but they won't take him up on his offer call him on his bluff to testify publically so they can perpetuate the myth that he refuses to comply? Is that right? 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Now I agree the GOP only cares and wants to make it public story because of who he is. They aren't so determined to back up the IRS on anyone else, I agree with that. And that they are trying to use this to tie into Joe.  But that doesn't change the fact he spent millions in cash and didn't pay taxes on it and probably doesn't want to talk publicly about his sex life and his spending habits. There's a difference between writing a book about an addiction you overcame, and answering questions on how you spend hundreds of thousands on prostitutes. 
    call his bluff? He openly stated that he would answer their request ONLY if done in public. That they refused it should tell you a lot.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

The guy who wrote a book detailing his exploits and addiction offered yesterday to testify in public about his exploits and addiction, but he's only bluffing because he doesn't want to go into detail about his exploits and addiction.

Got it. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

call his bluff? He openly stated that he would answer their request ONLY if done in public. That they refused it should tell you a lot.
    This raises an interesting point... in this partisan world, I think most have severe distrust of private hearings, and observe them with an expectation that they become politicized. Given the era, shouldn't someone referred to Congress to give a sworn testimony have that right of requesting it be public (or that record be made available publicly) in all cases? Recent experiences suggest that allowing private testimony is inviting the slander of your own name.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This raises an interesting point... in this partisan world, I think most have severe distrust of private hearings, and observe them with an expectation that they become politicized. Given the era, shouldn't someone referred to Congress to give a sworn testimony have that right of requesting it be public (or that record be made available publicly) in all cases? Recent experiences suggest that allowing private testimony is inviting the slander of your own name.
    There are times when national security could be an issue and therefore closed door is necessary.  Hunter has never had clearance so that should not apply here 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

There are times when national security could be an issue and therefore closed door is necessary.  Hunter has never had clearance so that should not apply here 
    Fair enough. I guess you could topically close the door, but that leaves room for error. 

As you said though, for cases like this where the individual had no clearance to secure info, why shouldn't that be entertained?

EV
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,337
    edited December 2023
    I think most reasonable people can now look at this and have empathy for this guy. They've been coming at him for like 6 years now and have yet to tie his father to his businesses. It's a joke. He broke the law, not his dad. He's going to pay for his crimes. This impeachment is nonsense and reasonable see it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Fair enough. I guess you could topically close the door, but that leaves room for error. 

As you said though, for cases like this where the individual had no clearance to secure info, why shouldn't that be entertained?
    Because as Mace pointed out, the GOP wants to perpetuate the narrative of non-compliance.

It's all about narratives and the greater narrative here is the "Biden crime family", a manufactured narrative intended to act as a foil to the blatant corruption of the trumps. 

2024 is going to be so much fun. 
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Typically, congressional investigative hearings, whether behind closed doors or in public, are negotiated between the subject witness attorney(s) and the committee as to the focus of their questioning and which subject matter is appropriate. Don’t agree to answer questions about how much crack you smoked before you fed how many pints of ice cream to the two naked prostitutes at the Motel 6 in SW. These are negotiated and in writing. The repub members repeatedly strayed from their agreed upon line of questioning when Hunter’s business partner testified behind closed doors and the true nature of his testimony was only revealed after the full transcript of same testimony was publicly released (read the transcript). Repubs had air time to publicly misconstrue what was said and what the testimony revealed. Hunter is making a good faith effort to avoid being victimized. Again.

But I’m really glad the repubs are holding an impeachment next year. Maybe then we’ll finally get to the bottom of Hunter’s laptop and the Brandon Crime family will go to jail along with Hillary and Obama.

Its working.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

My guess is they think it will hurt Hunter more, and by extension his dad, to hold him in contempt of court for not complying rather than have him testify openly. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Now I agree the GOP only cares and wants to make it public story because of who he is. They aren't so determined to back up the IRS on anyone else, I agree with that. And that they are trying to use this to tie into Joe.  But that doesn't change the fact he spent millions in cash and didn't pay taxes on it and probably doesn't want to talk publicly about his sex life and his spending habits. There's a difference between writing a book about an addiction you overcame, and answering questions on how you spend hundreds of thousands on prostitutes. 
    I have zero problem w/ the IRS going after anyone who cheats on their taxes. In fact, I wholeheartedly endorse it. But that's not what this is about, and we all know it. (while on the subject, has tfg released his tax returns yet?) 

So, trying to understand your second paragraph... after yesterday's press conference, your assertion is that GOP only cares and wants to make this a public story because of who he is, but they won't take him up on his offer call him on his bluff to testify publically so they can perpetuate the myth that he refuses to comply? Is that right? 
    Yes, I think that is the game. Don't compromise on the open hearing and hold him in contempt and play the card of "what is he hiding by refusing to testify?"

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Why is it a stupid bluff? Everyone here said they don't expect the GOP to allow it. That sounds like a perfect bluff if no one will call you on it. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes, I think that is the game. Don't compromise on the open hearing and hold him in contempt and play the card of "what is he hiding by refusing to testify?"

Except, except, except, Hunter’s not “refusing to testify.”

Do you agree with the repub strategy? Do you think it’s sound? Do you believe Hunter is “hiding something?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Do you agree with the repub strategy? Do you think it’s sound? Do you believe Hunter is “hiding something?”
    What else can one infer from the assertion that Hunter's bluffing? 

We all seem to be in agreement that the GOP is acting in bad faith here, but if one also believes Hunter's bluffing, one can continue to entertain and perpetuate the "Biden Crime Family" narrative. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Why is it a stupid bluff? Everyone here said they don't expect the GOP to allow it. That sounds like a perfect bluff if no one will call you on it. 
    So, who’s bluffing? Repubs or the Hunter Biden Crime Wave?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don't think he's hiding anything that we don't already know about. I don't think he's as willing to talk about his personal and sex life as some suggest (writing a book about how you overcame addiction is not the same as accounting for $1.5M in cash spending on drugs and prostitutes in sworn testimony), but I don't think a smoking gun will be discovered that brings his dad down if he testifies.

As far as strategy, I think they should just have him testify openly rather than dragging it out. Get through it with whatever tax charges are applicable and be done with it. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,337
    edited December 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I

As far as strategy, I think they should just have him testify openly rather than dragging it out. Get through it with whatever tax charges are applicable and be done with it. 
    This is assuming maga operates in good faith. In reality, having him testify openly will mean their "investigation" ends sooner than later. They would prefer to drag this out as much into year as possible, for obvious reasons. Hurting Joe Biden politically is literally the only point to this whole charade...even if there is no evidence of wrongdoing by the president. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

We all seem to be in agreement that the GOP is acting in bad faith here, but if one also believes Hunter's bluffing, one can continue to entertain and perpetuate the "Biden Crime Family" narrative. 
    I said before bluffing by not wanting to testify openly. He's going to be asked questions about how much he spent on prostitutes, how many, how often. Other questions about his sex life and drugs. Be asked to account for $1.5M in cash withdrawals. He knows he didn't file and pay taxes like he was supposed to, so what doe she have to gain by doing so? He would seek another deal that lands him with probation. DIdn't the previous deal only fall through because it included immunity on future charges, including the gun charge? My guess is he'd most likely strike up a new deal before testifying. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I

This is assuming maga operates in good faith. In reality, having him testify openly will mean their "investigation" ends sooner than later. They would prefer to drag this out as much into year as possible, for obvious reasons. Hurting Joe Biden politically is literally the only point to their investigations...even if there is no evidence of wrongdoing by the president. 
    If they 'called his bluff' and he changed his tune about testifying, they would have him dead to rights on the non-compliance issue, but they won't because they would rather...  perpetuate the narrative that he isn't complying. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I said before bluffing by not wanting to testify openly. He's going to be asked questions about how much he spent on prostitutes, how many, how often. Other questions about his sex life and drugs. Be asked to account for $1.5M in cash withdrawals. He knows he didn't file and pay taxes like he was supposed to, so what doe she have to gain by doing so? He would seek another deal that lands him with probation. DIdn't the previous deal only fall through because it included immunity on future charges, including the gun charge? My guess is he'd most likely strike up a new deal before testifying. 
    The previous deal fell through because Hunter's team believed it included all charges, and teh DOJ said "no, that's not the case".  So while Fox and other right wing news sources tried to spin it like it was some sweetheart deal between the DOJ and Hunter, it was the opposite.  The DOJ would not drop the other investigation.  So the judge said "you aren't on the same page, go back to the drawing board".

Regarding his testimony, Hunter will need to plead the Fifth on most every question that has to do with his gun and tax charges.  He is under indictment and confirming these charges will eliminate his ability to negotiate a plea deal.  
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I

This is assuming maga operates in good faith. In reality, having him testify openly will mean their "investigation" ends sooner than later. They would prefer to drag this out as much into year as possible, for obvious reasons. Hurting Joe Biden politically is literally the only point to this whole charade...even if there is no evidence of wrongdoing by the president. 
    I don't disagree. I debated how to answer if I agree with the strategy. If the goal is win the next election, they may be on the right strategy. It also might blow up in their face, I don't know yet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

The previous deal fell through because Hunter's team believed it included all charges, and teh DOJ said "no, that's not the case".  So while Fox and other right wing news sources tried to spin it like it was some sweetheart deal between the DOJ and Hunter, it was the opposite.  The DOJ would not drop the other investigation.  So the judge said "you aren't on the same page, go back to the drawing board".

Regarding his testimony, Hunter will need to plead the Fifth on most every question that has to do with his gun and tax charges.  He is under indictment and confirming these charges will eliminate his ability to negotiate a plea deal.  
    Yes pretty much what I thought (if by DOJ, you mean the judge in charge), my understanding is the judge  didn't like the language that potentially included immunity of future charges and had the lawyers rework it. They couldn't come up with a new deal, so it was voided. They can still create a new deal at any time.

As far as it being a sweetheart deal, I don't know how common it is to include possible future charges in a deal. That seems completely odd to me, but I'm not familiar with what's normal. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don't think Hunter gives two shits about answering those questions. If I were him I would answer them "yes I spent a lot but probably not as much as pres tRump"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes pretty much what I thought (if by DOJ, you mean the judge in charge of the case), my understanding is the judge  didn't like the language that potentially included immunity of future charges and had the lawyers rework it. They couldn't come up with a new deal, so it was voided. They can still create a new deal at any time.

As far as it being a sweetheart deal, I don't know how common it is to include possible future charges in a deal. That seems completely odd to me, but I'm not familiar with what's normal. 
    No, the DOJ is the US Attorney that was prosecuting, not the judge.  The DOJ balked at the opinion of the defense counsel that no future charges could be brought.