Options

Going to first P.J. show. Any advice?

i going to enter for pre-sale tickets for the nasheville show in september. i haven’t been to a concert before, and i was wondering if tickets for the GA Pit would be a good idea for me? i’m 5’0 tall and heard that unless you can get to the very front, being short in the pit is not a good time. should i get an assigned seat instead? quick responses are appreciated! thanks!

Comments

• Options
    also! any general advice really would be great. any special etiquette i should know? is there a trick to be able to get picks or a set list? anything is appreciated!
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,803
    1) hit up a pre party.  Fan club members are a blast.
    2) have fun 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    Bring a small child with you. I would say about 6 months to a year, with headphones on, in a baby Bjorn.   For the most attention, you can start a thread titled "Taking My Baby Into GA, I Want To Get A Tambo"
    People love these threads.  :/

Just kidding.
    Awesome that you are looking forward to your first show.  No rules, other than have an amazing time while not killing anyone else's good time.  

If you really want to go GA, and get tickets, you will want to be in the front (camp out early) or in the back (most places have enough room at the back of the section so you should still be able to see well.)

Good luck, hope you have fun.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,058
    You haven't been to ANY concert before, or a PJ show before? 

First, realize that the Nashville show is a rescheduled date, so the allotment of tickets available will not be what you would expect from a typical concert announcement (well, except for those shady practices that TM does for artists like Bieber and BTS, where they hold back a majority of tickets) and your chance of getting a Pit ticket are already slim. I'd suggest you enter for any ticket you can get, but don't get your hopes up of actually getting your name pulled.

Being in a pit gives you flexibility. I don't worry about height as I'm 5-11, but I also don't get up in the crowds. If you hang out in a general area in the back, where you aren't having your space crowded, you should be able to see fine. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,988
    Live every  song. Feel every  beat
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,834
    also! any general advice really would be great. any special etiquette i should know? is there a trick to be able to get picks or a set list? anything is appreciated!
    Some things you must learn on your own. Being sober helps give you an edge.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,146
    Be gracious to your neighbors in the pit, talk about PJ, and just enjoy the music! If you do get GA, get in line early. It’s fun up front! It is not a rough experience.
  • Options
    They only play Jeremy if one person yells "play Jeremy" frequently during the show.  If it's your first show... that's your duty. 
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited March 2022
    I have been front of pit on the rail, middle of pit, and back.  Unless you get there about 16-24 hours in advance, good luck waiting in line for front of pit.  If you do, I would suggest not drinking too much to require restroom runs, because it is a pain in the ass to get back up front.  I have intentionally gone to back of pit without waiting in GA line and had plenty of room to see and dance around.  Also in back you can go get drinks and restroom breaks as needed.  Most people tend to want to be as close as possible, so the pit will likely advance towards the stage as the night goes on.  They usually have plenty of GA pit space for the fan club, so there will be plenty of room towards the back. If you don’t want to bother with the pit nuances, then get a seat.  Most people will stand at their seat for the show also, so be aware that there may be someone tall in front of you in seats too.

Also.  From my experience and my opinion, seats on the floor suck.  I’d rather be in GA pit or have side seats.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    Ooh, yeah, 5'0" in the pit doesn't sound fun. I'm 5'6" and always seem to find a way to get behind the tallest person. Standing in the back where there's open space might actually be your best bet, might have better sight lines. Or you could line up a day in advance to get the rail, heh.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,209
    The nice thing is the pits at arena shows are way way smaller than the ones at stadium shows.

We went to the Vancouver show in '13, got in the line just as doors opened (6 or 6:30?) and ended up about 6 people back from centre stage.   Whereas for stadium shows we'd show up around 4 and be about 15 people back.

I do agree, I'm 6'2 so if your behind me, it's not going to be great :)

Ideally I think side stage is the best place to be if your not on the floor, but specifically getting those ticket can be a challenge.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,554
    Be sure to yell "Eddieeeeee" or "I love you Eddieee" before, during,  and after every song especially during the quietest parts of the show.

Most importantly soak it all in and have fun
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,303
    Have a fun time and enjoy
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    Enjoy the moment where it actually hits you that you're about to see you're favorite band live for the first time. It's different for everyone I think - it might hit you on the drive there, maybe it's when you see the venue and you get inside. For me it was when Sonic Youth finished their set and the guitar tech put down a telecaster on the guitar stand next to the drum kit. I said stupidly to my friend that was with me "holy sh@t, that's Eddie's guitar" lol. Took me a while to realize it, but I got there :)

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,956
    Wishlist Pre-Parties before the show are a lot of fun too. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Just write the number 1 on your hand and you’ll be fine 
  • Options
    hihobibo said:

First, realize that the Nashville show is a rescheduled date, so the allotment of tickets available will not be what you would expect from a typical concert announcement (well, except for those shady practices that TM does for artists like Bieber and BTS, where they hold back a majority of tickets) and your chance of getting a Pit ticket are already slim. I'd suggest you enter for any ticket you can get, but don't get your hopes up of actually getting your name pulled.

Being in a pit gives you flexibility. I don't worry about height as I'm 5-11, but I also don't get up in the crowds. If you hang out in a general area in the back, where you aren't having your space crowded, you should be able to see fine. 
    I have a feeling that a LOT of people are going to be disappointed when they don't get tickets to a rescheduled show.  And putting a rescheduled show over a newly added show in your priority list could be a double loss.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,834
    Just write the number 1 on your hand and you’ll be fine 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,799
    A lot of inside jokes that are going to fly right over the OP head in here for sure. 

Get in the building and be stress free. If you get GA go to the back of the pit if you do not want to camp out and be up close. It is a lot of fun back there and you should have a good sightline for your height. Enjoy the moment and have a blast!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,988
    Enjoy the moment where it actually hits you that you're about to see you're favorite band live for the first time. It's different for everyone I think - it might hit you on the drive there, maybe it's when you see the venue and you get inside. For me it was when Sonic Youth finished their set and the guitar tech put down a telecaster on the guitar stand next to the drum kit. I said stupidly to my friend that was with me "holy sh@t, that's Eddie's guitar" lol. Took me a while to realize it, but I got there :)
    This is good
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    hihobibo said:

I have a feeling that a LOT of people are going to be disappointed when they don't get tickets to a rescheduled show.  And putting a rescheduled show over a newly added show in your priority list could be a double loss.
    Correct. The number of tix available in the 10c lotteries for rescheduled shows will be tiny. I honestly don't expect there will be any available for MSG - if any tix were refunded for that show, they will most likely become Premium / Platinum etc. That said, I of course entered the MSG lottery as my last choice, knowing full well that nothing will come of it.

I'm 5'1", and for shows I usually hang at the back rail if I have pit. I'm too old to queue for 2 days to be up front and there is usually enough room in the back where I can move around and find a spot where I can see. 

2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Have a great time, and don't be an asshole. Simple right?! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Speaking of assholes...

Build up a tolerance to farts.

Oh, and it's called the pit because of the B.O.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Hobbes said:
    Speaking of assholes...

Build up a tolerance to farts.

Oh, and it's called the pit because of the B.O.
    fart GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hihobibo said:

Correct. The number of tix available in the 10c lotteries for rescheduled shows will be tiny. I honestly don't expect there will be any available for MSG - if any tix were refunded for that show, they will most likely become Premium / Platinum etc. That said, I of course entered the MSG lottery as my last choice, knowing full well that nothing will come of it.

I'm 5'1", and for shows I usually hang at the back rail if I have pit. I'm too old to queue for 2 days to be up front and there is usually enough room in the back where I can move around and find a spot where I can see. 

We really don't have any idea what the pool will be or how many people will put in new ticket requests.  Its a total unknown.  For all I know there could be more refunded tickets than new requests but that would be a complete surprise.  

So, I did the same as you.  I really wanted MSG (missed out in 2020) but the odds just seemed too low for me to make it my first choice.  So, I went with Camden as my #1 and put MSG as #2.  That second choice is almost certainly an impossiblity but since it doesn't cost me anything it was worth the long shot.

Even putting a new show as my #1 I'm still worried about getting ANY tickets.  I just don't want the OP to think that there is any sort of guarantee that they would get tickets to Nashville, especially GA tickets.    My guess is that there will be several times more requests than tickets available.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options
    hihobibo said:

We really don't have any idea what the pool will be or how many people will put in new ticket requests.  Its a total unknown.  For all I know there could be more refunded tickets than new requests but that would be a complete surprise.  

So, I did the same as you.  I really wanted MSG (missed out in 2020) but the odds just seemed too low for me to make it my first choice.  So, I went with Camden as my #1 and put MSG as #2.  That second choice is almost certainly an impossiblity but since it doesn't cost me anything it was worth the long shot.

Even putting a new show as my #1 I'm still worried about getting ANY tickets.  I just don't want the OP to think that there is any sort of guarantee that they would get tickets to Nashville, especially GA tickets.    My guess is that there will be several times more requests than tickets available.
    I have never won the draw for a NYC show (MSG and Brooklyn)  ever since the lottery started, and I'm local. But, I've been fortunate to get to all the shows, thanks to TM gen onsales and the help of friends. MSG is a different beast, but I do also believe that Camden is going to be a challenge.

I agree, the requests will far outweigh ticket availability. The only difference now is that they allow you to select a single ticket rather than make you buy a pair. That can easily throw a wrench into the odds. I just want the drawing done so we know whether to hope for verified. (My luck at verified is dismal)
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,351
    My wife is 5'2" and she enjoys GA. As others have said, line up to get close, or come in later and just hang in the back of GA. 
  • Options
    hihobibo said:

I have never won the draw for a NYC show (MSG and Brooklyn)  ever since the lottery started, and I'm local. But, I've been fortunate to get to all the shows, thanks to TM gen onsales and the help of friends. MSG is a different beast, but I do also believe that Camden is going to be a challenge.

I agree, the requests will far outweigh ticket availability. The only difference now is that they allow you to select a single ticket rather than make you buy a pair. That can easily throw a wrench into the odds. I just want the drawing done so we know whether to hope for verified. (My luck at verified is dismal)
    I've only won the lottery once for NYC but the sample is small (1 for 5 including Eddie's show just recently).  My only win was MSG 1 in 2016.  But I've had great luck everywhere else including Ten Club tickets to all four Fenway shows so I won't complain.  I just have a fear of putting in for anything in NYC.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the advice, and anything more anyone has is always appreciated! Just another quick question: Should I also enter the pre-sale for the St. Louis show in case I don't get the Nasheville show? I cannot afford to be charged for both shows, but the chances of me getting tickets for one show, let alone two, are pretty slim yes? So would it be a safe risk? And if I don't get tickets for a show via pre-sale, what should I do? Sorry for all the questions lol, I'm only 16 and have never gotten the change to go to a real concert due to low funds and living in the rural South so I wanna be prepared!