Lost Dogs Vinyl $50

A record store on Staten Island, NY (been open since the 80s) sold me an imported version of Lost Dogs on vinyl. It’s being shipped to me, so I’ve not seen it yet in person. Anyone else have any info on this version, it’s clearly not an original, so I’m guessing a bootleg lp?
2008: Bonnaroo
2010: Bristow
2012: Atlanta
2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/

Comments

• GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    edited March 2022
    at $50...definitely a bootleg. Otherwise, you just saved yourself $450+

I do not have any additional info on it, though. Hopefully it spins well and sounds good. Regardless, nice find!
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited March 2022
    Import means it’s an unauthorised bootleg in this case. It’ll be colored vinyl and on 2 LP not 3. 

The back of the jacket will reflect what songs are on side A B C and D which also differs from the original. Won’t have a barcode sticker etc  
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    I've heard it sounds shitty, some others may want to sound off here. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited March 2022
     I assume it’s sourced from a CD.

considering you can acquire the cd for about $8.95
    thats the maximum price I would pay for this. Squeezing it all on two records can’t help the sound though 
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,271
    The ones i had years ago didnt actually sound that bad.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    The last few boots have sold for $250-$300 so $50 is a deal, worst case sell it and triple your money!
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 Posts: 1,294
    Thanks for the info guys! We shall see, but at 50$ not a huge loss. Could be a nice little deal in the end. 
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,703
    edited March 2022
    I got one in a trade, it sounds flat. You can turn it up but it still sounds suppressed and doesn't get very loud. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
    I think there might have been a couple presses of the boots too. Looks like the newest are red or white, the ones from years ago had blue  yellow, green and a couple more i think
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,703
    Horse2345 said:
    I think there might have been a couple presses of the boots too. Looks like the newest are red or white, the ones from years ago had blue  yellow, green and a couple more i think
    My copy is white I think. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    @MedozK might have a thing or two to share about this bootleg. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 87astro87astro North Carolina Posts: 50
    I have one that is on red colored vinyl and honestly it sounds pretty good....yes compressed to fit on two albums instead of three.....but it holds me over until it is repressed..........and looks pretty cool sitting on my record shelf
    The earlier boots i had were actually on 3 records.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,245
    Horse2345 said:
    The last few boots have sold for $250-$300 so $50 is a deal, worst case sell it and triple your money!

You gotta be an idiot to pay THAT for an unofficial bootleg release.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    I had no idea this is such a hot item. I bought it when it was released just like every other album. Why is this one so valuable? Did they manufacturer fewer of them than usual?

Who knew that thing sitting on my shelf that cost $20 is worth hundreds of dollars?  (Well, apparently, you all knew.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    How do these even get pressed?  I assume no reputable vinyl plant would press something that is clearly a copyright infringement and illegal.

whoever pressed it may not be the bank robber, but they definitely are the getaway driver and thus involved.  It seems a bit more involved than just bootlegging CD’s .  Are there basement pressing plants or something?

i mean even YouTube takes stuff down that violates the copyright holders rights  
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I have a Benny boot that sounds pretty good but at the end of the day it’s still a boot. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • I've heard it sounds shitty, some others may want to sound off here. 
    I got a copy about 5 years ago and it sounds really good.
  • How do these even get pressed?  I assume no reputable vinyl plant would press something that is clearly a copyright infringement and illegal.

whoever pressed it may not be the bank robber, but they definitely are the getaway driver and thus involved.  It seems a bit more involved than just bootlegging CD’s .  Are there basement pressing plants or something?

Europe has less strict laws, and I highly doubt they are pressed in a basement.  Bootlegs have been around forever, and where there is a will there is a way.
    edited March 2022
    How do these even get pressed?  I assume no reputable vinyl plant would press something that is clearly a copyright infringement and illegal.

Europe has less strict laws, and I highly doubt they are pressed in a basement.  Bootlegs have been around forever, and where there is a will there is a way.
    Maybe but I still have memories when college kids in their dorm rooms got sued personally for using Napster for copyright infringement. 

I wouldn’t want to be that guy selling boots online.

less strict or not in Europe, once it’s here and you are selling it, that’s a risk I wouldn’t take.  Sooner or later a record company is going to make an example of someone 

• apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    The crazy thing is a lot of record stores sell these types of boots, not just the shitty live bootlegs but straight up counterfeit records.  IT sucks because it seems a lot of people don't know what they are buying and then they get sent back into the wild as legit records.  It was nice to see MBV reissue Loveless because the amount of counterfeits of this was insane, same with alot of the 80's - early 90's Tom Waits records.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,987
    I've said it before, the store I went to sell boots as imports for lots of money. I'm 99% sure 'import' means 'boot'. And it is misleading. I'd have less of a problem with it if they said bootleg copy so buyers know. 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    BF25394 said:
    I had no idea this is such a hot item. I bought it when it was released just like every other album. Why is this one so valuable? Did they manufacturer fewer of them than usual?

Who knew that thing sitting on my shelf that cost $20 is worth hundreds of dollars?  (Well, apparently, you all knew.)

Until the vinyl resurgence really took off, stuff was pressed in very small numbers. With the vinyl resurgence, a lot of that stuff is harder to find, especially now that people are buying records "just because."
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"

I'm not so sure about records, but there's factories in Asia that manufacture clothing. When they close for the night, the bootleggers come in the back door, make knockoff stuff and sell those shoes and jerseys for $50, sometimes even on Amazon.

A lot of times, you can't even tell the difference.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,145
    I'm anti-boot. If its not legit I dont want it.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
    edited March 2022
    Loujoe said:
    I've said it before, the store I went to sell boots as imports for lots of money. I'm 99% sure 'import' means 'boot'. And it is misleading. I'd have less of a problem with it if they said bootleg copy so buyers know. 

Yeah. When it's marked as "special European release" or "import version" or whatever, it's usually a bootleg.

www.PJCollectors.com has an in-depth list of all the official releases from cassette tapes to mini-discs to vinyl to all the different CD releases, etc.

This is not an authoritative list of "authentic vs bootleg" but it's what I can remember. I'm sure other people can add on what they know.

Ten has a basketball picture disc released in Europe. This has been bootlegged and the small print is blurry on the bootleg. There's also a Japanese version on black vinyl. The Japanese CD has "I've Got A Feeling" and the European CD has a live version of Alive along with studio versions of Dirty Frank and Wash.

Vs has a blue version released in South America. Apparently this blue one was a mistake. It's quite rare and hard to find.

Vitalogy and No Code...I'm sure someone bootlegged these. If they exist, I'm unaware.

A bootlegged version of Yield has the yield sign printed on the cover. The authentic one is die-cut.

There is a legit white copy of Backspacer. I've seen one that was a black/white marble which was claimed to be legit. The record plant seemingly didn't clear their machines before making the different color.

The Fixer 7" is white in the USA and black in Europe. There's an orange copy which was released to USA record stores as part of a promotion. There's a blue version which was limited to 50 or 100 copies and given to friends and family. There may or may not be a different shade of blue. I used to believe there was a blue and light blue, but later on I heard it was just one. Orange, black, white, blue.

There's a green version of Amongst The Waves, which I believe was released in Europe.

Avocado has been bootlegged. The one I saw was an obvious fake because the "PEARL JAM" on the spine is upside down.

Binaural's bootleg typically has a "PEARL JAM" logo above the nebula.

The red Lightning Bolt was released to random 10C members who bought the album from the PJ shop.

Any colored copy of Yield (usually white), Ukulele Songs (usually green), or Binaural (usually orange) is a bootleg.

There is a legit copy of Soldier Field 95 which was apparently released to a radio station to distribute. I'm not sure of the exact details, but apparently it's not fully authorized, but not a true bootleg. It's been described as "toothpaste green" and has been bootlegged into other colors.

Of course, if it's not Sony/Epic, J Records or Monkeywrench, it's probably bootleg. And yes, "Suck On My Dick Presents" is an obvious bootleg.

And no, I didn't make that last one up. It's apparently a test pressing of a bootleg copy of Melbourne 98.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
  • How do these even get pressed?  I assume no reputable vinyl plant would press something that is clearly a copyright infringement and illegal.

Maybe but I still have memories when college kids in their dorm rooms got sued personally for using Napster for copyright infringement. 

I wouldn’t want to be that guy selling boots online.

less strict or not in Europe, once it’s here and you are selling it, that’s a risk I wouldn’t take.  Sooner or later a record company is going to make an example of someone 

Easy Street records sells them, Pearl Jam 20 and Rear View Mirror, among others…

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,987
    Saw a red lost dogs today.. 50 and it sold.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,245
    Loujoe said:
    Saw a red lost dogs today.. 50 and it sold.

Saw that too on Instagram. How many colored bootleg variants are out there on Lost Dogs so far? Here's hoping PJ Co. sees this garbage and officially reissues it. 
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    They'll keep making them if people foolishly keep buying them, it isn't like they have to follow any rules.