More affordable Mike McCready 60's Strat

Comments

• Options
    FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    That is deadly 🎸🎸🎸
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    davidos said:
    I heard it's a Made in Mexico version... I bet similar to the EVH Frankie relic... probably in the $1,999 range. Release date unknown.

Doesn't make sense to do a USA sunburst non relic version... That's like every other guitar they make... the Harrison made sense for USA because they don't make an all rosewood guitar. Plus USA doesn't do relic and Mexico does (road worn, Frankie, Jason Isbell Tele etc.)
    pretty spot on prediction from 18 months ago …

your magic 8 ball serves you well
  • Options
    I am really fighting the urge to order one.   A tip for anyone out there, if you buy from guitar center and have an account and log in and put it in your cart its 10% off.  So thats 190 off which essentially covers the taxes and free shipping.
  • Options
    matt3846 said:
    Mine arrived yesterday…

Can you clarify the neck shape?  is it just the regular 9.5 fender C?  I am not a fan of the fender standard C shapes especially on the player series?  

It is listed as slim and I have seen someone say it is a little wider.  Just looking for any info on the neck that I can get!
  • Options
    Mine arrived yesterday but wasn't home so now gotta wait until Wednesday as out of town.
  • Options
    matt3846matt3846 Atlanta Posts: 153
    edited September 2023
    Theebs said:

Can you clarify the neck shape?  is it just the regular 9.5 fender C?  I am not a fan of the fender standard C shapes especially on the player series?  

It is listed as slim and I have seen someone say it is a little wider.  Just looking for any info on the neck that I can get!
    The specs call it a Slim C with 1.65” nut. It’s definitely not wide. I’m not a fan of wide necks so I would have noticed that right off.

As for the profile shape… I don’t really have a way to measure that, but I can say it feels no thicker than two other 1990s MIM strats I have. I have pretty small hands and this neck feels extremely comfortable to me.

• Options
    matt3846 said:
    Theebs said:

The specs call it a Slim C with 1.65” nut. It’s definitely not wide. I’m not a fan of wide necks so I would have noticed that right off.

As for the profile shape… I don’t really have a way to measure that, but I can say it feels no thicker than two other 1990s MIM strats I have. I have pretty small hands and this neck feels extremely comfortable to me.

Thanks
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,981
    Did they put a clear coat finish over the relic damage on these?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    dudeman said:
    To be honest, I did not think so at first. But a guy on the Gear Page who has one said this:

There seems to be a thin nitro overcoat sprayed on the guitar - and the transitions from topcoat, undercoat, and bare wood are fairly smooth. You can feel the transitions from paint to wood, etc. but you couldn't get purchase on the paint with a fingernail, as an exaple. If that makes sense.

After reading that, I think he’s probably right. Though there are a few areas that do look/feel like raw wood to me.

Here is the thread where I stole that quote. He did an AMA over the past few days answering questions about the guitar. If you’re curious, I posted some pics in his thread comparing the relic to the EVH relic made in the same factory.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/my-mccready-strat-just-arrived-ama.2497383/
    Post edited by matt3846 on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,981
    matt3846 said:
    dudeman said:
    To be honest, I did not think so at first. But a guy on the Gear Page who has one said this:

There seems to be a thin nitro overcoat sprayed on the guitar - and the transitions from topcoat, undercoat, and bare wood are fairly smooth. You can feel the transitions from paint to wood, etc. but you couldn't get purchase on the paint with a fingernail, as an exaple. If that makes sense.

After reading that, I think he’s probably right. Though there are a few areas that do look/feel like raw wood to me.

Here is the thread where I stole that quote. He did an AMA over the past few days answering questions about the guitar. If you’re curious, I posted some pics in his thread comparing the relic to the EVH relic made in the same factory.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/my-mccready-strat-just-arrived-ama.2497383/
    Thanks for that! Lots of good information there.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    Mine will arrive tomorrow :) 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    I've had mine since last Thursday and so far I'm really enjoying it. I was a bit tentative about the price for a MIM Fender but so far no regrets. The pickups sound great and the neck is fantastic. I personally think the relicing on it looks pretty good (I know that's polarizing) and I'll always pick a nitro finish when I have the choice. All in all, I'm glad I was refreshing reverb last Wednesday and pulled the trigger!
  • Options
    Masterbuilt and MIM side by side:

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168

that is a whole lotta mccready right there!!!

looking at them i can tell differences but the mim looks pretty close. if the underlying wood was a little darker it would be even closer. i suppose that will come with time and play.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Does anyone know how limited these will be? Just 1 production run? Or will I be able to get 1 a year from now?
  • Options
    Mine arrived!   Looks great.  My frets are gritty.  I don’t know if that is intentional “relic” or oxidation from sitting in the shop.  Hopefully some polish and new strings will resolve that this weekend.   
  • Options
    Does anyone know how limited these will be? Just 1 production run? Or will I be able to get 1 a year from now?
    I clicked on "Notify me when in stock" on the sweetwater site yesterday.  They are pushy and they called me and told me the wait list is huge and they are not expecting another shipment until september 2024 and it will be first come first serve by pre order.

that is crazy!  Pearl Jam fans are dedicated man!
  • Options

looking at them i can tell differences but the mim looks pretty close. if the underlying wood was a little darker it would be even closer. i suppose that will come with time and play.
    It is cool to see the differences and how more detailed and realistic wear gets added with the MasterBuilt versions.  It at least validated the cost difference to me.  They did an awesome job with the MIM version.  

• Options
    Theebs said:
    I clicked on "Notify me when in stock" on the sweetwater site yesterday.  They are pushy and they called me and told me the wait list is huge and they are not expecting another shipment until september 2024 and it will be first come first serve by pre order.

that is crazy!  Pearl Jam fans are dedicated man!
    shit i don't want to wait a year for it. i went to guitar center maybe a week ago and they said that there were 700 people who have purchased and are waiting on new ones. they recommended me to pre-order but i know as soon as i do that gibson is going to come out with that fucking hetfield signature 84 white explorer they have been teasing for a while. i suppose i can order and just cancel if i have to wait a year.

i will be in indiana in 2 weeks and plan to hit sweetwater again while i am there. its an awesome place.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

It is cool to see the differences and how more detailed and realistic wear gets added with the MasterBuilt versions.  It at least validated the cost difference to me.  They did an awesome job with the MIM version.  

i would definitely try to darken up that exposed wood a little when i get mine. the wood underneath looks too new. they could have charged a few hundred more dollars and made it look a little more realistic. i know all of us would pay 2000-2500 for something like that. do they sound similar? like can you tell a difference between the two soundwise?

• Options
    I can’t tell a difference in sound.
  • Options
    i just saw guitar center is offering 0% interest for 48 months on these as part of guitar a thon. guess i am gonna have to pull the trigger....

• Options
    I can’t tell a difference in sound.
    awesome!

• Options
    Does anyone know if there is a custom tool to adjust the truss rod on vintage style strats that doesn't require unbolting the neck?  This guitar has a small oval where you can just see it.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Does anyone know if there is a custom tool to adjust the truss rod on vintage style strats that doesn't require unbolting the neck?  This guitar has a small oval where you can just see it.
    There’s not a channel between the heel and the neck pickup, so even with the pickguard off, I don’t think you could get a tool in there…

• Options
    Thanks for the picture!   
  • Options
    Serial No. 439 arrived to Ireland today 😃
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    Sweet. 
  • Options
    Sweet. 

Really happy with the guitar. Plays well out of the box. I haven’t had a strat in years. So it’s a cool addition to the collection. 

One small thing though is that there is an imperfection on the back of the neck on the 10th fret. Thought it was a dent but it might be glue or a small repair?! 

Anyone else have any neck issues?