Eastern Europe shows just don't make sense...

2»

Comments

• BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,294
    In my head I had it that Krakow wouldn't happen, lots of good reasons that it should have been mentioned  thanks. Let's just hope the situation improves soon for those people 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,703
    edited March 2022
    drfox said:
    The shows have no risk of cancellation unless the conflict extends to other countries. And if that happens the World has more to worry about than concerts, and generally everything would be cancelled - gigs, football, holidays etc. 

I sort of think PJ will be keener than ever to play those Eastern European countries and could help raise awareness and funding for the refugees. 
    I agree about them being keener than ever to play those shows and raising awareness.

Why not even go as far as to Livestewam Krakow and Budapest shows for $20 a show, and do it on some platform like Twitch that is setup for donations.  Bring PJ fans together from around the world and give all Livestream proceeds to Local humanitarian efforts 
    That is definitely something that could generate a lot of money for charity to help the people that have had to flee the conflict.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    Russia pretty damn close to Polish border today...
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,279
    drfox said:
    The shows have no risk of cancellation unless the conflict extends to other countries. And if that happens the World has more to worry about than concerts, and generally everything would be cancelled - gigs, football, holidays etc. 

I sort of think PJ will be keener than ever to play those Eastern European countries and could help raise awareness and funding for the refugees. 
    I agree about them being keener than ever to play those shows and raising awareness.

Why not even go as far as to Livestewam Krakow and Budapest shows for $20 a show, and do it on some platform like Twitch that is setup for donations.  Bring PJ fans together from around the world and give all Livestream proceeds to Local humanitarian efforts 
    Agree, a lot of fans would pay to livestream those shows. A good way of raising funding 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    I have Budapest and Krakow tickets but will probably plan the trip assuming at least krakow doesn’t happen. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
    Good discussion points all around.

Cropduster has the points that I am concerned with covered.  Seriously some validity to the ability to maintain normalcy during a calamity of so many people in need. 

I'd have no idea of the logistical nightmare of moving the extra necessities into the cities just to care for the added pressures of possibly doubling the population in some areas.  Civic centers are where alot of the humanitarian needs are met, so squeezing in an extra 12,000-14,000 fans in the same district may be impossible.   And although along with the awareness the band would bring, the temporary release, and the possibility of a few dollars into NGO's or other aid groups is a literal drop in the bucket to what our Ukraine brothers and sisters will need moving forward.

To be honest, this WAS to be my first trip to Europe and have Krakow, Vienna, Budapest and Prague seats secured.  Somehow I feel completely contradictory being able to travel there to enjoy the shows while so much distress in the area is present, but still somehow in  my feeble mind feel elated to be waiting for a few rescheduled dates here in the US and some other shows planned for the summer.

I know, right... A real world problem is worrying about rescheduled shows and cancelled trips while death and destruction that will be felt for generations is upon the doorstep..

Fuck
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    edited March 2022
    We will see where things are at in four months.  If safe, like I said before,  they may be encouraging tourists to come for economic reasons.  If you owned a restaurant, a store, worked at a museum, worked at a hotel in those cities you would be hoping people visit so you have work and can get paid.  Especially with Covid hurting tourism the last couple of years.  Prague’s old town would be empty without tourists I would imagine.  

Yes, it is all very sad, but don’t jump to conclusions too much at this point.  That’s where I am at.  It could very well be canceled though and good discussion all around.  Unless I thought things would be unsafe or the tourist spots wouldn’t be open,  I would still plan on going and enjoying the experience.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,892
    This reminds me of Jan 2020…Covid isn’t going to be a problem by March…
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    edited March 2022
    PJNB said:
    They are 4 months away. Difficult to watch what is happening right now in Ukraine but even today shows are happening in Krakow. 4 months is a long time. Hopefully they happen since if they do that means Ukraine is likely in
    a better spot.

Am I alone in thinking that shows in Krakow, Vienna, Budapest and others should be cancelled?

The horrors to the people of Ukraine are weighing much more heavily on me than a few shows.   The cities are already being stressed beyond their current ability, human suffering and human services bulging to breaking points.

Lodging needs for refugees, increased travel difficulties, shortages of medical, social concerns...

Thoughts?
    War doesn't go away in 4 months... it's not a long time
    Exactly. Putin’s track record over the last 30 years says this goes on for years. I really fucking hate the world right now. 
    Agreed.... Unfortunately, history repeats itself all too often. Some people disregard it. Others are too narrow minded, or misinformed to see what's right in front of their faces. Awful, awful stuff over there in Ukraine. I don't see how how the band goes over to Europe. 

Cv-19 cases are starting to rise again in Europe. It'd be real nice if the people with agency, political influence, and big money did things to benefit humanity and start prepping for the inevitable next respiratory virus instead of focusing on short sighted selfish gains. 

I get really down when I ponder what this world may be like years down the road for our now 3 year old. We've got to be better than this. 

Stay safe and be empathetic
    Post edited by BF89905 on
    Anyone that said that was clueless. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    BF89905 said:
    PJNB said:
    They are 4 months away. Difficult to watch what is happening right now in Ukraine but even today shows are happening in Krakow. 4 months is a long time. Hopefully they happen since if they do that means Ukraine is likely in
    a better spot.

Am I alone in thinking that shows in Krakow, Vienna, Budapest and others should be cancelled?

The horrors to the people of Ukraine are weighing much more heavily on me than a few shows.   The cities are already being stressed beyond their current ability, human suffering and human services bulging to breaking points.

Lodging needs for refugees, increased travel difficulties, shortages of medical, social concerns...

Thoughts?
    War doesn't go away in 4 months... it's not a long time
    Exactly. Putin’s track record over the last 30 years says this goes on for years. I really fucking hate the world right now. 
    Agreed.... Unfortunately, history repeats itself all too often. Some people disregard it. Others are too narrow minded, or misinformed to see what's right in front of their faces. Awful, awful stuff over there in Ukraine. I don't see how how the band goes over to Europe. 

Cv-19 cases are starting to rise again in Europe. It'd be real nice if the people with agency, political influence, and big money did things to benefit humanity and start prepping for the inevitable next respiratory virus instead of focusing on short sighted selfish gains. 

I get really down when I ponder what this world may be like years down the road for our now 3 year old. We've got to be better than this. 

Stay safe and be empathetic
    I'm with you.... I'm glad I don't have kids cause this world is a shit- show right now and this war will not end quickly or easily.... it's so depressing...
  • radarradar Posts: 771
    A brief note from Krakow - there is over 1,6mln refugees already in Poland. The authorities assume the number may double. Most of them arrived via Krakow which is approx 250 km from the border. Now there are many trains etc that help people to travel further - to Warsaw / other big cities and abroad. It’s worth to mention that before Covid there were already 1-1,5 mln Ukrainians living in Poland. As regards lodging - some concert venues (for example Torwar in Warsaw - venue of 1996 PJ show) were already transferred to shelters but I hope and I assume this is a temporary measure and no one could or shall live in such a space for several months. 
    Summarizing - at this point there are no signs that the show is in trouble. Still it’s impossible to predict how the situation will develop. If anyone has questions about krakow please pm. Will gladly help
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,294
    radar said:
    A brief note from Krakow - there is over 1,6mln refugees already in Poland. The authorities assume the number may double. Most of them arrived via Krakow which is approx 250 km from the border. Now there are many trains etc that help people to travel further - to Warsaw / other big cities and abroad. It’s worth to mention that before Covid there were already 1-1,5 mln Ukrainians living in Poland. As regards lodging - some concert venues (for example Torwar in Warsaw - venue of 1996 PJ show) were already transferred to shelters but I hope and I assume this is a temporary measure and no one could or shall live in such a space for several months. 
    Summarizing - at this point there are no signs that the show is in trouble. Still it’s impossible to predict how the situation will develop. If anyone has questions about krakow please pm. Will gladly help
    Hats off to Poland and the Polish people for their response to this crisis 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited March 2022
    Why not play Eastern European countries because of Russia going to war in Ukraine? Or because of refugees existing?

I don't get it. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    radar said:
    Appreciate a real update from someone that is seeing it first hand. Heartbreaking what is going on and hopefully they somehow find a way to end it soon. 
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,365
    ComeToTX said:
    Everyone said that. Remember “two weeks to stop the spread”
    ComeToTX said:
    Everyone said that. Remember “two weeks to stop the spread”
    Yeas, that was all clueless. Anyone reading what was going on in China and more so Italy knew it wasn’t going away quickly. 
  • JABKJABK Posts: 347
    I think now even more so all the shows make perfect sense. We won't let fear rule our world and music is one of the more important elements to bring people together.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Posts like this make no sense 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
    It’s not fear as much as cities being stressed by thousands and thousands of refugees. 
  • rock4everrock4ever Posts: 238
    the biggest threat to any European shows will be when any attack/act of war is committed against a NATO country and the OP who mentioned about Hungary being less than credible they are part of NATO I don't think they are stupid enough to wage war against other NATO countries  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FMaps%2Fcomments%2Fmornlx%2Fnato_member_states%2F&psig=AOvVaw2XT7T0pSp1pX5E0vZ-AfSm&ust=1647517092133000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCIiE0svFyvYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,366
    rock4ever said:
    the biggest threat to any European shows will be when any attack/act of war is committed against a NATO country and the OP who mentioned about Hungary being less than credible they are part of NATO I don't think they are stupid enough to wage war against other NATO countries  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FMaps%2Fcomments%2Fmornlx%2Fnato_member_states%2F&psig=AOvVaw2XT7T0pSp1pX5E0vZ-AfSm&ust=1647517092133000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCIiE0svFyvYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD 
    Orban signaled his support for Ukraine early.  My comment was that I was surprised he so quickly joined the sanctions.  
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
    ComeToTX said:
    It’s not fear as much as cities being stressed by thousands and thousands of refugees. 

Exactly
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06

Krakow, whose prewar population stood at about 800,000, has said it is struggling to manage even the most basic administrative tasks, like issuing personal identification numbers for the 100,000 people who have turned up into the city. The city has already spent 74% of its annual $4.3 million budget for crisis management, a spokeswoman for city hall, Monika Chylaszek, told national daily newspaper Rzeczpospolita in an interview published Friday.

"We are not able to accept, absorb more people, as a city," she said. "It comes down to jobs, places in schools and daycares, administrative services."

There are virtually no refugee camps in the country, aside from a handful of convention centers and stadiums that the Polish government terms "reception centers," where a few thousand of the 1.5 million people who have entered Poland sleep. Instead, Poland is counting on relatives, friends and volunteers to house the newcomers. That arrangement is becoming increasingly hard to sustain, however, as the rate of people arriving outpaces the number of beds available, Polish officials say.

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,099
    I think it’s best for Polish authorities to decide if they want to allow tourism/concerts in Krakow. It’s not really for Pearl Jam fans half way around the world to decide for them. 

If you don’t want to go by all means take your personal decision not to. 
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
    Right. But this is a message board so we’re discussing it. 
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 312
    And he's contributing to the discussion by noting that the Polish authorities will have the ultimate decision on whether the show goes ahead, regardless of PJ's or ticketholders' views. Which is a good point and probably something that PJ will themselves take their lead from.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    Is till don't see the issue here with playing (eastern) European cities...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"