What bands would play a Superbowl Halftime show with Pearl Jam?

13»

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    They robbed Eminem of more time. It was good, enjoy all of their music, but it was too many people for that time slot. 
    Ahhh. He was lip syncing. Missed two spots. Lose Yourself was the album version
    The half time show was better than I expected but my expectations were really low.  I guess it's hard not to be bad when you aren't singing live.  basically a live video.
    It’s called backtracking. They were singing live. 
    I absolutely LOVED the 1/2 time show.  Probably not a lot of fans on this forum but I could have listened and watched for hours.  
    Ok so it’s called karaoke.  With a backtrack is not live performing. 
    Most, if not all, rappers back track in order to catch their breath…it’s not like sitting in the studio… they’re moving around constantly live.  Still doesn’t mean it wasn’t live.  Rappers would laugh (hopefully) or do worse (more likely) if you told them it was karaoke.  
    They are just afraid to come off poorly so they fake it by using a backing track.  Those performers are some of the best ever in their genre.  I would hope and expect they could do it fully live.  Is if too much to ask legends to perform fully live?  If old rockers like Neil Young and Roget Daltry can still do it live why can’t the best ever in that genre? Am I expecting too much?  I don’t know maybe I am
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,259
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    As a European looking in this whole superbowl halftime show thing looks a right overhyped load of bollocks......
    Makes the artists a shitton of exposure/money.
    Making white people across America  freak out was a huge bonus, this year. 
    I didn't know this was a thing.  I'm not trying to take this down "that path," but was there some huge issue/outcry with this year's performers that I wasn't aware of?  I grew up listening to all of those artists, so I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Didn't know the country was up in arms.  This clearly wasn't the first SB that had rap artists and/or non-Caucasians perform, so I'm not following.
    The only sm platform I'm on is LinkedIn and use it every day for work.  I tend to disconnect  from anyone who posts dumb personal shit or political type stuff.  If they are a customer or partner I just ignore.
    For sure there are people posting there about how awful the halftime show was and surprise, they see all white that I saw....and some of the comments are super thinly disguised racist bullshit.  
    I didn't spend long looking but the majority of what I saw was flyover state bs.  
    I'm sure the cesspool known as Facebook has things much worse....but I don't go there.

Got it.  I'm also not on social media aside from LinkedIn for work, so I'm out of the loop on a lot of this crap luckily.
    I'd rather PJ not play the Super Bowl, but if they do, let it be PJ alone. 

I see a lot of people claiming this half time show upset a lot of white people, implying it was about race.
    But the reality is there is rarely a half time show that people don’t complain about. It’s not about race. Over-produced medleys of random songs are going to get criticism no matter who is doing it.
    I’m sure there’s some wackos out there complaining about not enough white people this year. But I can’t find a single person that I actually know upset about it. It just isn’t a thing. Yeah, dig into Twitter and read through a bunch of comments of people you don’t know I’m sure you’ll find some.
    I don’t particularly enjoy rap so I didn’t get into this show. That’s the case with the artists at least half the time for me. I don’t know why this is being made about race. You can not like rap and not be a racist. I’d hate a show of modern country with a bunch of redneck dancers equally as much.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    I live and work in a rural setting and saw plenty of people post on social media saying it was the worst halftime ever and some with a meme of George Strait saying "call me if you want a real halftime show". There are those people out there. They might not come straight out and say they need white people on the halftime show, but... 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    George Strait 
    Now that would be the worst halftime show ever (or at least the worst since "Up With People").
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,259
    edited February 2022
    I live and work in a rural setting and saw plenty of people post on social media saying it was the worst halftime ever and some with a meme of George Strait saying "call me if you want a real halftime show". There are those people out there. They might not come straight out and say they need white people on the halftime show, but... 
    But people complain about the half time show every year. So why is it if someone doesn’t like rap, it’s suddenly about race? I haven’t read any stats on it, but I would predict rap appeals to fewer people that pop, which is what is usually is and still gets tons of complaints.
    Just because someone posted a meme that they prefer country over rap doesn’t mean they don’t like seeing black people on TV. I really don’t know why so many are jumping to that conclusion this year.
    i mean, seriously, if I post a picture of Weezer and add “here’s a real half time show” that means I’m racist? Come on.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    mace1229 said:
    But people complain about the half time show every year. So why is it if someone doesn’t like rap, it’s suddenly about race? I haven’t read any stats on it, but I would predict rap appeals to fewer people that pop, which is what is usually is and still gets tons of complaints.
    Just because someone posted a meme that they prefer country over rap doesn’t mean they don’t like seeing black people on TV. I really don’t know why so many are jumping to that conclusion this year.
    i mean, seriously, if I post a picture of Weezer and add “here’s a real half time show” that means I’m racist? Come on.
    I get what your saying.  But there is an element of that underlying country music in particular.  It’s being used as an example of certain values, thinking, and cultural attitudes within a segment of the people who listen to it. It’s  representative of “real america” vs being a preferred style or genre of music. Once you start framing it as that, by definition anything outside that narrow view is less than or not really representative of “real america”. Morgan Wallen actually helped his career with the N word controversy as he’s kind of a rallying cry for many people. Album sales up, popularity up because people support him to prove a point that has nothing to do with the music.  Middle (rural)  America rallied around some pretty indefensible comments after radio stations initially pulled his music. If you can say what he said and it improves your career, what does that say?  

you have got to read between the lines a bit, but it’s there.  Im not saying if you like country music then you are a racist, absolutely not.  But if you are a racist, that music and the culture surrounding it will appeal to you more than most other types of music.
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    mace1229 said:
    I can't speak to people in general, but the ones I have contact with in the area I live and work in, it does have to do with race.  
  • mace1229 said:
    I can't speak to people in general, but the ones I have contact with in the area I live and work in, it does have to do with race.  
    I believe that about the comments I read, as well.
    People can have their own opinions, we don't have to share them

The love he receives is the love that is saved