What bands would play a Superbowl Halftime show with Pearl Jam?

Comments

• Thought the halftime tonight was far better than most
    I can only imagine how much middle America hated that, which me like it more.
    Agree! I still enjoyed 2020 SB half-time show MUCH more, butt....
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    They robbed Eminem of more time. It was good, enjoy all of their music, but it was too many people for that time slot. 
    Ahhh. He was lip syncing. Missed two spots. Lose Yourself was the album version
    The half time show was better than I expected but my expectations were really low.  I guess it's hard not to be bad when you aren't singing live.  basically a live video.
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    The only reason to ask Pearl Jam to play the half-time show, would be as a Grunge tribute. That would probably mean only playing songs from "10".  If they played only 3 songs, and they were "Alive", "Jeremy", and "Evenflow" is that what you want?  I would still use the time for a piss break.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
  • TA243471 said:
    The only reason to ask Pearl Jam to play the half-time show, would be as a Grunge tribute. That would probably mean only playing songs from "10".  If they played only 3 songs, and they were "Alive", "Jeremy", and "Evenflow" is that what you want?  I would still use the time for a piss break.
    Why? Why again is this piss time? There’s a reason the band plays Evenflow every night. If they hated doing it, it would be Strangest Tribe
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,125
    Why take a piss during Evenflow and miss Mike's insane guitar when you can take that same piss during DTE? That is the question. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    JimmyV said:
    Why take a piss during Evenflow and miss Mike's insane guitar when you can take that same piss during DTE? That is the question. 
    I've been asking that question for decades.
    Why take a piss break at all, just wait, it's not an 8 hour show. Go during encore breaks or after the show.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,125
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    I've been asking that question for decades.
    Why take a piss break at all, just wait, it's not an 8 hour show. Go during encore breaks or after the show.
    I like beer at shows and I'm old. Not peeing is not an option. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,773
    Honestly, tonight was good. Should be Bruno Mars almost exclusively though. He’s been amazing, rock bands tend to suck. Even tonight you could hear the drums drumming with the drummer not playing. Lose Yourself was the album version, twice Enimen was not singing while we heard his voice. 

Pearl Jam would absolutely not need another band, did Tom Petty or The Who have another band? Good set up tonight, wish we heard Dre Day or Nuthin but a G Thang or Doggystyle
    He did twice already 
    I miss igotid88
  • Honestly, tonight was good. Should be Bruno Mars almost exclusively though. He’s been amazing, rock bands tend to suck. Even tonight you could hear the drums drumming with the drummer not playing. Lose Yourself was the album version, twice Enimen was not singing while we heard his voice. 

Pearl Jam would absolutely not need another band, did Tom Petty or The Who have another band? Good set up tonight, wish we heard Dre Day or Nuthin but a G Thang or Doggystyle
    But, the NFL do not allow real instruments. Do they? Isn't it always singback to a instrumental track.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I believe I read they used to allow it, but no longer do, if you agree to play, you agree to lip sync.
  • RS65573 said:
    I believe I read they used to allow it, but no longer do, if you agree to play, you agree to lip sync.
    I think they are allowed to sing live. But not play live. 

Dre seems to rap live. Why not Eminem? If he wasn't... hmm...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RS65573 said:
    I think they are allowed to sing live. But not play live. 

Dre seems to rap live. Why not Eminem? If he wasn't... hmm...
    Dre did pretend to mix on a pretend soundboard so…
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    TA243471 said:
    Why? Why again is this piss time? There’s a reason the band plays Evenflow every night. If they hated doing it, it would be Strangest Tribe
    Haha, oops.  I meant halftime of the Superbowl, not because of Evenflow.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    As a European looking in this whole superbowl halftime show thing looks a right overhyped load of bollocks......
  • pdalowsky said:
    As a European looking in this whole superbowl halftime show thing looks a right overhyped load of bollocks......
    Makes the artists a shitton of exposure/money.
    Making white people across America  freak out was a huge bonus, this year. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    pdalowsky said:
    I didn't know this was a thing.  I'm not trying to take this down "that path," but was there some huge issue/outcry with this year's performers that I wasn't aware of?  I grew up listening to all of those artists, so I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Didn't know the country was up in arms.  This clearly wasn't the first SB that had rap artists and/or non-Caucasians perform, so I'm not following.
  • bbiggs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I didn't know this was a thing.  I'm not trying to take this down "that path," but was there some huge issue/outcry with this year's performers that I wasn't aware of?  I grew up listening to all of those artists, so I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Didn't know the country was up in arms.  This clearly wasn't the first SB that had rap artists and/or non-Caucasians perform, so I'm not following.
    The only sm platform I'm on is LinkedIn and use it every day for work.  I tend to disconnect  from anyone who posts dumb personal shit or political type stuff.  If they are a customer or partner I just ignore.
    For sure there are people posting there about how awful the halftime show was and surprise, they see all white that I saw....and some of the comments are super thinly disguised racist bullshit.  
    I didn't spend long looking but the majority of what I saw was flyover state bs.  
    I'm sure the cesspool known as Facebook has things much worse....but I don't go there.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    edited February 2022
    One fourteen minute version of evenflow. 

Make sure to have some dancers act out the lyrics. Fireworks at the end. 
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    bbiggs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    The only sm platform I'm on is LinkedIn and use it every day for work.  I tend to disconnect  from anyone who posts dumb personal shit or political type stuff.  If they are a customer or partner I just ignore.
    For sure there are people posting there about how awful the halftime show was and surprise, they see all white that I saw....and some of the comments are super thinly disguised racist bullshit.  
    I didn't spend long looking but the majority of what I saw was flyover state bs.  
    I'm sure the cesspool known as Facebook has things much worse....but I don't go there.

Got it.  I'm also not on social media aside from LinkedIn for work, so I'm out of the loop on a lot of this crap luckily.
    I'd rather PJ not play the Super Bowl, but if they do, let it be PJ alone. 

• I just thought Eminem tried to look cool showing respect to Dre by kneeling. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    pjhawks said:
    They robbed Eminem of more time. It was good, enjoy all of their music, but it was too many people for that time slot. 
    The half time show was better than I expected but my expectations were really low.  I guess it's hard not to be bad when you aren't singing live.  basically a live video.
    It’s called backtracking. They were singing live. 
    I absolutely LOVED the 1/2 time show.  Probably not a lot of fans on this forum but I could have listened and watched for hours.  
    edited February 2022
    I just thought Eminem tried to look cool showing respect to Dre by kneeling. 
    The kneeling was to show respect for Colin Kaepernick and because he was told not to and Snoop wore all blue because he was told not to wear crypt colors.  I loved it! Snoops whole outfit was a blue bandanna…..❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Update:  Em may have been kneeling for Tupac-I’ve read two different versions so not sure which was true but he was told not to kneel
    Post edited by cblock4life on
    In fact I’m gonna replay it now and dance 
    Y’all notice the convict clothes on the dancers (last song)?  It was awesome! 
    Nope, not lip syncing, it’s called backtracking.  
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Nobody should play alongside Pearl Jam in a hypothetical halftime show. But, if they brought someone out as a special guest it should be Neil for RITFW.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Zod said:
    If Seattle got a Superbowl, and they really want to go for it.

Pearl Jam, AiC, and maybe some of that Soundgarden fronted by Brandi Carlile?

RHCP would also be a good fit, given how integral that band was in the formation of Pearl Jam.
    And Mike for the national anthem.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    pjhawks said:
    I absolutely LOVED the 1/2 time show.  Probably not a lot of fans on this forum but I could have listened and watched for hours.  
    Ok so it’s called karaoke.  With a backtrack is not live performing. 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Ok so it’s called karaoke.  With a backtrack is not live performing. 
    Most, if not all, rappers back track in order to catch their breath…it’s not like sitting in the studio… they’re moving around constantly live.  Still doesn’t mean it wasn’t live.  Rappers would laugh (hopefully) or do worse (more likely) if you told them it was karaoke.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Thought the halftime tonight was far better than most
    I can only imagine how much middle America hated that, which me like it more.
    Middle America checking in to say I loved it!
    www.cluthelee.com