Fresh pressed

Comments

• This album is gonna sell 200,000 copies to only 50,000 people with all the ways and delays and variants.  I'm responsible for 3 of em already. 
    With the last Manic Street Preachers album I, eventually, bought 6 “variants”/versions! 😬😳(justified to myself by the fact that they scored a UK No.1 record 😂). Let’s just be glad PJ don’t do picture discs, alternative artwork, several colours, zoetrope discs & deluxe boxes etc etc every time an album comes out. 
    Of course they still give us plenty of opportunities to part with our dosh, but I think one limited, different edition LP on top of the regular formats is relatively restrained. 
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,146
    Kearn5y said:
    Back in 2011 I purchased lost dogs vinyl from a guy who was looking to trade his opened copy for 4 bottles of the Dogfish Faithfull Ale. He didn't get the trade so I offered $180 which was a little less than the going rate. Always surprised he never got his trade

I got mine by trading a used legit copy of TOOL Aenima which I got for $40 about a month earlier... this was back in 2011 or so the trade was on the boards too - thankfully I passed on someones offer to trade Avocado and took LD instead.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    A true test pressing is limited to a handful of copies.  Fresh pressed is just clever marketing inspired by the idea of a test pressing.  A cool idea and something a little different than changing the color of the vinyl.  Instead they changed the cover.  Clever. 
    Clever would be the regular LP edition having a gatefold that can accommodate both LP’s 

I’ve already thought about storage of this one
    Indeed.  Like some kind of vinyl Voltron where the two records combine into one super album. 
    Voltron!!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    apirk72 said:
     It sure why anyone would think this is a test press. 
    This doesn’t seem like it was planned at all.  When they realized there would be a huge delay this was a way to get records in fans hands quicker.  
    That was me. All sorted bud! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    It is a bit interesting that they were able to press a significant number of vinyl, but the legitimate packaging was delayed?   Crazy the things are backlogged right now :)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,366
    Zod said:
    It is a bit interesting that they were able to press a significant number of vinyl, but the legitimate packaging was delayed?   Crazy the things are backlogged right now :)
    See I call bs. It's a gimmick. Everyone knows that pressings are delayed,  but I have not heard that companies like Stoughton are struggling to print. They are still advertising for new business on their website 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    See I call bs. It's a gimmick. Everyone knows that pressings are delayed,  but I have not heard that companies like Stoughton are struggling to print. They are still advertising for new business on their website 
    I think it’s a quantity issue.  Getting a small run is probably way more doable.  I have no idea what the print run of the regular LP is but I suspect it’s very large.  Printing issues or pressing issues or a combination of both.  

With how things are going it could be something as stupid as they can’t get the correct ink color.  I’ve given up trying to figure out what specific  elements of the supply chain are affected as it’s always something totally random 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    I think it’s a quantity issue.  Getting a small run is probably way more doable.  I have no idea what the print run of the regular LP is but I suspect it’s very large.  Printing issues or pressing issues or a combination of both.  
    I think they couldn't do colored because of pressing issues,  so this is the next best think to do a unique run. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    Well for the past 25 years it has been 10,000.  But Adele pressed 500,000 so… 
    It is a new era of vinyl…. I see so many “kids” in the record stores around here.  Nostalgic to see them looking at all the pressings. Overheard a couple high school kids marvelling at Fleetwood Mac, Blue Oyster Cult, Blue Rodeo and RHCP records yesterday, talking about the bands and how good they thought albums were. 

Brought a real smile to my face…. Independent record stores are the cool places to be once again. 

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    It is a new era of vinyl…. I see so many “kids” in the record stores around here.  Nostalgic to see them looking at all the pressings. Overheard a couple high school kids marvelling at Fleetwood Mac, Blue Oyster Cult, Blue Rodeo and RHCP records yesterday, talking about the bands and how good they thought albums were. 

Brought a real smile to my face…. Independent record stores are the cool places to be once again. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if at some point vinyl sales surpass physical CD sales as a general rule.  I honestly don’t know anyone who still buys physical CD’s anymore  but a lot who buy vinyl 

I own 1 CD player and it came with the car 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

I agree.  I definitely notice how young the crowd is that's browsing the vinyl bin. Kids are discovering our music again and loving it.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

I agree.  I definitely notice how young the crowd is that's browsing the vinyl bin. Kids are discovering our music again and loving it.  
    Nostalgia, collectible, anything vintage, owning a physical recording all  plays on everything people value these days 

doesnt hurt that the music is also great.  

Vinyl is a ton of work to maintain but I think people are coming back to appreciating that.  
  • Lol. Come on now. It is not about problems with printing the covers. 

For god sales people. You are part of the Jamily. Act like it. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lol. Come on now. It is not about problems with printing the covers. 

For god sales people. You are part of the Jamily. Act like it. 
    You lost me 
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    Jacket production actually is the most common bottleneck in vinyl production right now

At least in terms of Stoughton tip on jackets...no idea if standard printed jackets like I assume would be used for the EV record are also impacted
    JBob87 said:
    Jacket production actually is the most common bottleneck in vinyl production right now

At least in terms of Stoughton tip on jackets...no idea if standard printed jackets like I assume would be used for the EV record are also impacted
    Yeah I was just coming here to say that I saw Chad Kassem said Stoughton is behind.  So I stand corrected.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if at some point vinyl sales surpass physical CD sales as a general rule.  I honestly don’t know anyone who still buys physical CD’s anymore  but a lot who buy vinyl 

I don't really see the function of CD's anymore.  I can replicate the audio quality of CD with my flac collection.   I can listen to those in really good quality in my truck, on my phone, and basically any time I'm not home.  If I'm at home then I prefer to spin vinyl.

The Vinyl for home, digital for the road is such a sweet setup, but I feel like CD's don't really have a home in there anymore.   I still buy PJ/EV cd's for collecting purposes, but I don't often spin one.

I have thought about trying to to find a narrow width cd player for my office stereo so I can spin cd's while I work.. but I never do seem to get around to that.
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

I don't really see the function of CD's anymore.  I can replicate the audio quality of CD with my flac collection.   I can listen to those in really good quality in my truck, on my phone, and basically any time I'm not home.  If I'm at home then I prefer to spin vinyl.

The Vinyl for home, digital for the road is such a sweet setup, but I feel like CD's don't really have a home in there anymore.   I still buy PJ/EV cd's for collecting purposes, but I don't often spin one.

I have thought about trying to to find a narrow width cd player for my office stereo so I can spin cd's while I work.. but I never do seem to get around to that.
    I ripped all of mine years ago and stored them. I don't have a proper CD player.    There's no use for them. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

I still listen to CDs at work. We can’t get a cell signal inside our building, so I can’t stream. I just put a CD in my PC and listen to it on desk speakers. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,937
    edited February 2022
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

I still listen to CDs at work. We can’t get a cell signal inside our building, so I can’t stream. I just put a CD in my PC and listen to it on desk speakers. 
    My 18 year old has a used Jeep with a CD player for his first car.  He has all my CDs and gets a lot of use out of them. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JBob87 said:

Would explain the poor jacket quality I discovered in the Ornette Coleman Tone Poet boxset.  
  • artforbwartforbw 60647 Posts: 133
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

A close friend of mine works in music distribution for a major retailer, does ordering of supply and such, so sees all of the sales numbers/reports of the different releases. I believe for at least a few years now (maybe more), vinyl sales had already surpassed CD sales each year.
    Another small perk is getting a heads up on release info of upcoming albums before they're publicly announced.
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    JBob87 said:

Would explain the poor jacket quality I discovered in the Ornette Coleman Tone Poet boxset.  
    That sucks, the box looks pretty awesome been thinking of picking it up for a bit.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    I work in manufacturing and the delays are very real. We have taken on so many additional suppliers just to try to meet demands & forecasts. It’s been a shitshow for the last 18 months or so. The idea that a manufacturer had enough for a small batch LP run makes complete sense to me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • apirk72 said:
    JBob87 said:

That sucks, the box looks pretty awesome been thinking of picking it up for a bit.
    It is! The replacement was far better, but not as stellar as the other 9 TP releases I own.  It seems like the glue wasn’t setting properly along the spine. The first copy had holes in 3 of the 4 gatefold records. 

• artforbw said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

A close friend of mine works in music distribution for a major retailer, does ordering of supply and such, so sees all of the sales numbers/reports of the different releases. I believe for at least a few years now (maybe more), vinyl sales had already surpassed CD sales each year.
    Another small perk is getting a heads up on release info of upcoming albums before they're publicly announced.
    Looks like since 2020 according to this article:
    https://www.thelantern.com/2021/02/breaking-records-vinyl-sales-pass-cd-sales-for-the-first-time-since-1980s/
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    Double post
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Posts: 6,152
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

They may surpass them in volume made, sure.  Depends on the band.  Grateful Dead Daves picks sells like 10k copies of each release on CD  four times a year and a few months after they’re released they go for double $. Check out Dead releases if you dare see how expensive things can get for CD’s.   $1500 for 30 trips, $1000 easy for Fillmore west 69, $1000+ Europe 72.  Sacd’s and hdcd’s aren’t a convo PJ are included in unfortunately, but audiophiles search for certain cds like they do for original vinyl pressings or mofi re issues.

Personally the Dave’s picks and mofi vinyl are the releases I most look forward to every few months, and the subscription is cool as can be.  CD’s are still in the game. (check out the doors gold discs for example too, they’re amazing)

edit- and as far as dynamic range, some sacd’s and older hdcd’s are plain superior to their vinyl counterparts.  I love both forms of media, but there’s a place for each- be it streaming, physical cd’s and vinyl
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

They may surpass them in volume made, sure.  Depends on the band.  Grateful Dead Daves picks sells like 10k copies of each release on CD  four times a year and a few months after they’re released they go for double $. Check out Dead releases if you dare see how expensive things can get for CD’s.   $1500 for 30 trips, $1000 easy for Fillmore west 69, $1000+ Europe 72.  Sacd’s and hdcd’s aren’t a convo PJ are included in unfortunately, but audiophiles search for certain cds like they do for original vinyl pressings or mofi re issues.

Personally the Dave’s picks and mofi vinyl are the releases I most look forward to every few months, and the subscription is cool as can be.  CD’s are still in the game. (check out the doors gold discs for example too, they’re amazing)
    Are you saying these don’t end up ripped and in the trader community within a week?  
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Posts: 6,152
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

Are you saying these don’t end up ripped and in the trader community within a week?  
    No, not saying that at all. Of course they are.  All forms are eventually ripped.”, that’s why they’re sold in multiple formats.  Just saying that cd’s aren’t close to dead- there’s a huge fan base that still loves the physical media.  I brought up the dead because once or twice a year they release a box set (in cd format) with a companion vinyl box and streaming formats, but the cd set is the coveted format and eventually sells out every time with a pressing of around 12k

edit- also as far as the dead go, there’s really no shows newly released that aren’t already regularly traded.  These box sets just tend to be soundboard multitrack releases vs what’s been passed around for years among tapers and available on archive.org
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.