Fresh pressed

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,366
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    It is a bit interesting that they were able to press a significant number of vinyl, but the legitimate packaging was delayed?   Crazy the things are backlogged right now :)
    See I call bs. It's a gimmick. Everyone knows that pressings are delayed,  but I have not heard that companies like Stoughton are struggling to print. They are still advertising for new business on their website 
    I think it’s a quantity issue.  Getting a small run is probably way more doable.  I have no idea what the print run of the regular LP is but I suspect it’s very large.  Printing issues or pressing issues or a combination of both.  
    Well for the past 25 years it has been 10,000.  But Adele pressed 500,000 so… 
    It is a new era of vinyl…. I see so many “kids” in the record stores around here.  Nostalgic to see them looking at all the pressings. Overheard a couple high school kids marvelling at Fleetwood Mac, Blue Oyster Cult, Blue Rodeo and RHCP records yesterday, talking about the bands and how good they thought albums were. 

Brought a real smile to my face…. Independent record stores are the cool places to be once again. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if at some point vinyl sales surpass physical CD sales as a general rule.  I honestly don’t know anyone who still buys physical CD’s anymore  but a lot who buy vinyl 

I own 1 CD player and it came with the car 
    They may surpass them in volume made, sure.  Depends on the band.  Grateful Dead Daves picks sells like 10k copies of each release on CD  four times a year and a few months after they’re released they go for double $. Check out Dead releases if you dare see how expensive things can get for CD’s.   $1500 for 30 trips, $1000 easy for Fillmore west 69, $1000+ Europe 72.  Sacd’s and hdcd’s aren’t a convo PJ are included in unfortunately, but audiophiles search for certain cds like they do for original vinyl pressings or mofi re issues.

Personally the Dave’s picks and mofi vinyl are the releases I most look forward to every few months, and the subscription is cool as can be.  CD’s are still in the game. (check out the doors gold discs for example too, they’re amazing)
    Are you saying these don’t end up ripped and in the trader community within a week?  
    No, not saying that at all. Of course they are.  All forms are eventually ripped.”, that’s why they’re sold in multiple formats.  Just saying that cd’s aren’t close to dead- there’s a huge fan base that still loves the physical media.  I brought up the dead because once or twice a year they release a box set (in cd format) with a companion vinyl box and streaming formats, but the cd set is the coveted format and eventually sells out every time with a pressing of around 12k
    I believe that.  But at the same time,  it seems like a pointless format,  at least to me.  16/44 is nothing special.  I can see paying for SACD but not standard cd format.  So while I agree it isn't dead,  I think it's limiting to the point that digital high resolution, SACD and vinyl are all superior formats. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    It is a bit interesting that they were able to press a significant number of vinyl, but the legitimate packaging was delayed?   Crazy the things are backlogged right now :)
    See I call bs. It's a gimmick. Everyone knows that pressings are delayed,  but I have not heard that companies like Stoughton are struggling to print. They are still advertising for new business on their website 
    I think it’s a quantity issue.  Getting a small run is probably way more doable.  I have no idea what the print run of the regular LP is but I suspect it’s very large.  Printing issues or pressing issues or a combination of both.  
    It is a new era of vinyl…. I see so many “kids” in the record stores around here.  Nostalgic to see them looking at all the pressings. Overheard a couple high school kids marvelling at Fleetwood Mac, Blue Oyster Cult, Blue Rodeo and RHCP records yesterday, talking about the bands and how good they thought albums were. 

Brought a real smile to my face…. Independent record stores are the cool places to be once again. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if at some point vinyl sales surpass physical CD sales as a general rule.  I honestly don’t know anyone who still buys physical CD’s anymore  but a lot who buy vinyl 

They may surpass them in volume made, sure.  Depends on the band.  Grateful Dead Daves picks sells like 10k copies of each release on CD  four times a year and a few months after they’re released they go for double $. Check out Dead releases if you dare see how expensive things can get for CD’s.   $1500 for 30 trips, $1000 easy for Fillmore west 69, $1000+ Europe 72.  Sacd’s and hdcd’s aren’t a convo PJ are included in unfortunately, but audiophiles search for certain cds like they do for original vinyl pressings or mofi re issues.

Personally the Dave’s picks and mofi vinyl are the releases I most look forward to every few months, and the subscription is cool as can be.  CD’s are still in the game. (check out the doors gold discs for example too, they’re amazing)
    Are you saying these don’t end up ripped and in the trader community within a week?  
    No, not saying that at all. Of course they are.  All forms are eventually ripped.”, that’s why they’re sold in multiple formats.  Just saying that cd’s aren’t close to dead- there’s a huge fan base that still loves the physical media.  I brought up the dead because once or twice a year they release a box set (in cd format) with a companion vinyl box and streaming formats, but the cd set is the coveted format and eventually sells out every time with a pressing of around 12k
    I believe that.  But at the same time,  it seems like a pointless format,  at least to me.  16/44 is nothing special.  I can see paying for SACD but not standard cd format.  So while I agree it isn't dead,  I think it's limiting to the point that digital high resolution, SACD and vinyl are all superior formats. 
    It’s a circular argument.  Some simply like a cd, some simply like a record, some like to stream.  None of these options is inherently better than another, although some offer simplicity vs nostalgia perhaps? 

I’m not trying to sell cd’s, but I am saying that in certain situations I’m not streaming something I can hold in my hands and play.  For ex, if I am going to play Morrison Hotel, I have the choice of playing the AP 45, the red Target 1984 cd, or stream it…. I’ll probably end up playing the West German CD 9 out of 10 times because it simply sounds better on my oppo than the other two options- (mind you I only spent like 5k on my vinyl system, it’s far from high end :( )

Plus, as a vinyl fan, you won’t get an argument against it outta me- but we’ve all witnessed the battle over vinyl and if it actually sounds any better than digital.  The whole convo is subjective- they all have their positives and negatives.

all I’m saying is that cds fill a role as do vinyl and digital.  My 15 year old just bought a CD player and has been rocking out to Guns N’ Roses for the past week- she’s buying cds like they’re hard to find…. And they’re cheap.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    I can see playing a cd if the dac in the CD player is superior to your standalone or integrated dac.
  • artforbwartforbw 60647 Posts: 133
    artforbw said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

A close friend of mine works in music distribution for a major retailer, does ordering of supply and such, so sees all of the sales numbers/reports of the different releases. I believe for at least a few years now (maybe more), vinyl sales had already surpassed CD sales each year.
    Another small perk is getting a heads up on release info of upcoming albums before they're publicly announced.
    Looks like since 2020 according to this article:
    https://www.thelantern.com/2021/02/breaking-records-vinyl-sales-pass-cd-sales-for-the-first-time-since-1980s/

Cool. Yeah, I remember reading that about vinyl sales passing CD sales. It felt like longer ago than 2020, but that sounds about right.
  • artforbw said:
    artforbw said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

A close friend of mine works in music distribution for a major retailer, does ordering of supply and such, so sees all of the sales numbers/reports of the different releases. I believe for at least a few years now (maybe more), vinyl sales had already surpassed CD sales each year.
    Another small perk is getting a heads up on release info of upcoming albums before they're publicly announced.
    https://www.thelantern.com/2021/02/breaking-records-vinyl-sales-pass-cd-sales-for-the-first-time-since-1980s/

Cool. Yeah, I remember reading that about vinyl sales passing CD sales. It felt like longer ago than 2020, but that sounds about right.
    The last 2 years have felt like a decade… honest mistake 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    artforbw said:
    artforbw said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

They sort of did.  It was kind of a misleading statistic.   Record's cost way more $$ than cd's.   Records made more money than cds but cd's sold more copies.
  • There is also an insane inflation in vinylrprices -- what did Gigaton cost on vinyl? Like 40 dollars over here.

And a CD costs pretty much the same as always.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

It’s a circular argument.  Some simply like a cd, some simply like a record, some like to stream.  None of these options is inherently better than another, although some offer simplicity vs nostalgia perhaps? 

I’m not trying to sell cd’s, but I am saying that in certain situations I’m not streaming something I can hold in my hands and play.  For ex, if I am going to play Morrison Hotel, I have the choice of playing the AP 45, the red Target 1984 cd, or stream it…. I’ll probably end up playing the West German CD 9 out of 10 times because it simply sounds better on my oppo than the other two options- (mind you I only spent like 5k on my vinyl system, it’s far from high end :( )

Plus, as a vinyl fan, you won’t get an argument against it outta me- but we’ve all witnessed the battle over vinyl and if it actually sounds any better than digital.  The whole convo is subjective- they all have their positives and negatives.

all I’m saying is that cds fill a role as do vinyl and digital.  My 15 year old just bought a CD player and has been rocking out to Guns N’ Roses for the past week- she’s buying cds like they’re hard to find…. And they’re cheap.
    THIS! As a CD collector as well, I actively search out the best mastering of digital releases. A LOT of times particular CDs kill streaming. Just take a listen to any Barry Diament mastered disc. I rarely stream, if I have the chance to pick my favorite mastering.

But for arguments sake, I have the WG Target and the AP 45 also... I would play the AP 45...lol
    Post edited by MedozK on
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

THIS! As a CD collector as well, I actively search out the best mastering of digital releases. A LOT of times particular CDs kill streaming. Just take a listen to any Barry Diament mastered disc. I rarely stream, if I have the chance to pick my favorite mastering.

But for arguments sake, I have the WG Target and the AP 45 also... I would play the AP 45...lol
    Let's be sure we're saying the same things here. 

Streaming is an inferior process.  Unless you're doing Qobuz or Tidal, it's all very lossy.  And with those that do stream lossless, you aren't choosing your mix, if that's your thing.  So a CD should beat streaming every single time. 

However, ripping that cd bit perfect and then playing to your DAC would/should be precisely the same as the cd.  Now I know that certain cd's like silver label are said to be superior, but if you remove the cd from the equation altogether, then it should not matter if the cd was silver or whatever.  
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    mrussel1 said:
    NewJPage said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Gibson said:
    $54 USD to Canada 
    ($71 after exchange)

excited to trade this for a clear NoCode
    which will become a sealed Sevens and eventually a Lost Dogs +$30!
    Well I have a copy of Sevens and Lost Dogs—but neither clear No Code nor this one. Oh and also not V1V. I’d have to have a LOT more than hat you’re proposing to trade a Lost Dogs!
    NO Code silver, this, Vault 1, cash for Lost Dogs. 
    Wait...what exactly is Lost Dogs going for these days? maybe I should part with mine...
    5-600 for super clean.  Offer is open to anyone.  

EV test press
    Vault 1
    No code silver

all would be sealed.  Or some combo with cash or posters that I have.  
    Super clean is tough to find. They are all either sealed or beat to hell it seems. My open copy is great on lp 1 and 3. Lp 2 not so much 

it’s really hard to find that middle ground with lost dogs for some reason. With a sealed one you don’t want to open it, I know 
    My copy is is pretty unique. I bought it new in 2004 or 2005 and opened it to have band members sign it. I have never played it though.
  • KL159781 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    NewJPage said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Gibson said:
    $54 USD to Canada 
    ($71 after exchange)

excited to trade this for a clear NoCode
    which will become a sealed Sevens and eventually a Lost Dogs +$30!
    Well I have a copy of Sevens and Lost Dogs—but neither clear No Code nor this one. Oh and also not V1V. I’d have to have a LOT more than hat you’re proposing to trade a Lost Dogs!
    NO Code silver, this, Vault 1, cash for Lost Dogs. 
    Wait...what exactly is Lost Dogs going for these days? maybe I should part with mine...
    5-600 for super clean.  Offer is open to anyone.  

EV test press
    Vault 1
    No code silver

all would be sealed.  Or some combo with cash or posters that I have.  
    Super clean is tough to find. They are all either sealed or beat to hell it seems. My open copy is great on lp 1 and 3. Lp 2 not so much 

it’s really hard to find that middle ground with lost dogs for some reason. With a sealed one you don’t want to open it, I know 
    My copy is is pretty unique. I bought it new in 2004 or 2005 and opened it to have band members sign it. I have never played it though.
    That’s cool.  As far as an autographed album minus a benny, lost dogs would probably be my choice if I got to choose

im sure a lot are in great condition from original owners who opened them themselves.  Just seems the open ones I see floating around look like they have been bought and sold over and over.  
  • I bought RVM and Lost Dogs at the same time from Tenclub. Could have been the first or second purchase from the store.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    edited February 2022
    Fresh Press is on it's way and hopefully next week I will be able to spin it. So I can't wait.
    Post edited by lanoisseforp on
  • I have a Bose wave radio in the kitchen and sometimes work from there. I have 3.000 cd's that I like to browse through whilst working. A turntable in the kitchen wouldn't work so well. Horses for courses.
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • timbo1972 said:
    I have a Bose wave radio in the kitchen and sometimes work from there. I have 3.000 cd's that I like to browse through whilst working. A turntable in the kitchen wouldn't work so well. Horses for courses.
    Vinyl is kind of an intimate thing.  You are in one room and get to enjoy and melt in the music.
  • timbo1972 said:
    I have a Bose wave radio in the kitchen and sometimes work from there. I have 3.000 cd's that I like to browse through whilst working. A turntable in the kitchen wouldn't work so well. Horses for courses.
    Vinyl is kind of an intimate thing.  You are in one room and get to enjoy and melt in the music.
    It’s the only format that forces me to listen to albums in order and as a whole. As a result I get more out of the music that way. I do not have the discipline to do that with digital files.  It’s playlists, skipping tracks, background music listening. I’ve tried to change my habits and I just can’t do it. 

Vinyl is perfect for me regardless of any sound difference. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    I still buy CDs, and usually before I buy an album on vinyl. I love vinyl, but CDs are more affordable and just more convenient in many ways. I agree that vinyl sounds better, but I'm no audiophile. I do like owning physical copies of media, and I find I am more likely to listen to something if I have the physical media. I also still have a CD player in my car, so that's another reason.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    edited February 2022
    If this is a single press LP record, then I am going to guess which tracks are on Side A and B:
    Side A 24:45
    01. Invincible (4:47)
    02. Power of Right (3:34)
    03. Long Way (4:45)
    04. Brother the Cloud (4:22)
    05. Fallout Today (3:20)
    06. The Dark (3:56)
    Side B 23:19
    01. The Haves (5:08)
    02. Good and Evil (2:41)
    03. Rose of Jericho (2:26)
    04. Try (2:52)
    05. Picture (4:00)
    06. Mrs. Mills (4:04)
    07. On My Way (2:08)
    Post edited by lanoisseforp on
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,034
    Just got mine in Michigan today....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,034

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Attaway77 said:

Was it shrink wrapped?
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    mrussel1 said:
    Attaway77 said:

Was it shrink wrapped?
    Yes
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • I love vinyl and it sounds great. But to say that cds are inferior is patently false. Cds have 16 bits of depth and dynamic range which is about 96 db. Vinyl maxes out at around 72 db. Cds are great, uncompressed hi res streaming is great from qobuz and tidal etc, and vinyl is also great for other reasons. 
  • If this is a single press LP record, then I am going to guess which tracks are on Side A and B:
    Side A 24:45
    01. Invincible (4:47)
    02. Power of Right (3:34)
    03. Long Way (4:45)
    04. Brother the Cloud (4:22)
    05. Fallout Today (3:20)
    06. The Dark (3:56)
    Side B 23:19
    01. The Haves (5:08)
    02. Good and Evil (2:41)
    03. Rose of Jericho (2:26)
    04. Try (2:52)
    05. Picture (4:00)
    06. Mrs. Mills (4:04)
    07. On My Way (2:08)
    Correct 👍🏻 Dislike that The Haves starts side 2 (slow songs at the start of a side are a weird bugbear of mine 🤷🏻‍♂️), but I’ll live 😊
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    edited February 2022
    Anyone in Canada get theirs's yet?  No movement in UPS tracking on mine...
    Post edited by LaFleur on
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
    I love vinyl and it sounds great. But to say that cds are inferior is patently false. Cds have 16 bits of depth and dynamic range which is about 96 db. Vinyl maxes out at around 72 db. Cds are great, uncompressed hi res streaming is great from qobuz and tidal etc, and vinyl is also great for other reasons. 
    They are not inferior analytically speaking, but for many of us, the digitization of music is harsh and unpleasant.  There is no comparison, in my mind, between a Neil Young CD and an NY AAA record.  And I have a very high end DAC, along with very high end analog equipment.  It's not close.  
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,937
    When I was a kid, my vinyl copy of Pyromania had a skip about 2/3 of the way through Photograph.  And to this day, whenever I hear it on the radio my brain reverts to that vinyl version at the precise  spot in the song and I anticipate the skip that never happens. Crazy.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Anyone in Canada get theirs's yet?  No movement in UPS tracking on mine...
    Nothing here neither. Fresh off depressed… 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• mrussel1 said:
    I love vinyl and it sounds great. But to say that cds are inferior is patently false. Cds have 16 bits of depth and dynamic range which is about 96 db. Vinyl maxes out at around 72 db. Cds are great, uncompressed hi res streaming is great from qobuz and tidal etc, and vinyl is also great for other reasons. 
    They are not inferior analytically speaking, but for many of us, the digitization of music is harsh and unpleasant.  There is no comparison, in my mind, between a Neil Young CD and an NY AAA record.  And I have a very high end DAC, along with very high end analog equipment.  It's not close.  
    As long as we agree theres so scientific data that shows that analog is better than digital. I also have an extremely good dac. But i also love listening to vinyl bc it sounds different, however different doesnt mean better.  As far as ADC’s that were used decades ago, yes those were probably harsh at the high end of frequency.  But modern ADC’s are much better now and are better able to handle high frequencies. 

Vinyl is dope, cds are dope, and hi res streaming is also dope.