psst....2/3/2022

Comments

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Thank you all so much. Definitely not that fender at $3500, though nice. 

My wife wants something that looks nice. Which makes this difficult.

Right now I am looking at the Fluence RT85 because fuck it why do this twice.
    https://www.fluance.com/rt85w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

Do I need the preamp, cleaning kit and weight?
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Posts: 2,737
    RS65573 said:

https://www.fluance.com/rt85w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

If your current receiver doesn't have a phono jack, then you'll need a preamp. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

Old Sony receiver has RCA in's. Thanks.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    RS65573 said:

This is going to sound super negative. Can I be the first to suggest you dont start collecting records unless you just plan on buying a select few or a particular band. :)  Its too late for me, save yourself. Sell your fresh press for some decent cash to someone (not me) otherwise you will probably never have money again. Buying records is like an addiction, you start with one or two and before you know it youve got rooms full of the stuff, telling yourself its an investment. Starting a collection in 2022 is going to be very difficult and very costly, you have been warned :)
    Hahaha your not wrong. I've been getting the PJ Vaults since the beginning and have a few other recents, No Code Clear, and now the Fresh Earthlings, which I've never heard, so would be super cool to hear first time on a record.

Having said that. I have been a poster guy since 96, and I couldn't disagree more. Yes I have 100s of posters, call them an investment and am completely addicted. That said, I've gotten much better at letting some old stuff go and I did very well on some of those old posters. Kind of crazy.

I dont plan on collecting any additional bands or anything, but I may spin some of dads old Zeppelin or Stones. Gateway drugs...
  • RS65573 said:

The RT85 has an integrated preamp that is decent. So no, you can just plug and play and decide later if you want to upgrade anything. 
    A $25 brush is all you’ll need. Fluance sells a decent one. Might as well get theirs while your at it. After that, it just depends how serious you wanna get and what rabbit hole you want to go down in. 
    The Fluance tt are beautiful. Im sure your wife would love it. 

Another amazing table with auto-stop (auto lift this time) is the Technics sl1500.  It’ll cost you more though. 
    A very solid, more traditional looking tt. I upgraded to this from a Fluance and would never go back.  The turntable is of enough quality to invest on a better cartridge or a KAB damper if you ever want to. 
    And on and on it goes 🤦‍♂️
    Right now my mom is in the basement looking for dads old turn table before I buy anything. He had a 70s something I guess I could get fixed up.
  • RS65573 said:
    Right now my mom is in the basement looking for dads old turn table before I buy anything. He had a 70s something I guess I could get fixed up.
    That could be a gem🔥! Or crap lol. 
    Definitely worth looking into and getting it fixed if it’s worth it. A quick online search will tell you what you have. Tuning and a new cartridge may do the trick. Good luck!

there appears to have been only a few copies released, so do that bad boy justice and spin that black circle!
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    RS65573 said:

The RT85 has an integrated preamp that is decent. So no, you can just plug and play and decide later if you want to upgrade anything. 
    A $25 brush is all you’ll need. Fluance sells a decent one. Might as well get theirs while your at it. After that, it just depends how serious you wanna get and what rabbit hole you want to go down in. 

Another amazing table with auto-stop (auto lift this time) is the Technics sl1500.  It’ll cost you more though. 
    A very solid, more traditional looking tt. I upgraded to this from a Fluance and would never go back.  The turntable is of enough quality to invest on a better cartridge or a KAB damper if you ever want to. 
    I don’t think the RT85 has an integrated preamp. You can get one for pretty cheap and upgrade later. 

I have the exact model you linked to (I use an external preamp) and love it. Also had a great CS experience with them as I was getting it set up. Highly recommended. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • tdawe said:
    RS65573 said:

I don’t think the RT85 has an integrated preamp. You can get one for pretty cheap and upgrade later. 

I have the exact model you linked to (I use an external preamp) and love it. Also had a great CS experience with them as I was getting it set up. Highly recommended. 
    I believe you are correct on the preamp. Some lower level models of theirs do, but not rt85
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,258
    RS65573 said:
    I want to spin this Friday but need a turn table. Can someone make a recommendation?

So I hovered over the Fluance RT85 all morning yesterday, then realized I needed the preamp, so switched to the RT81, but then wanted to run to moms and see what dads looked like.

From what I can tell, this is a early 70s AR XB - Walnut Finish. Can anyone tell the year?  There is a missing foot on the bottom that makes it out of balance. The screw that is attached to the "deck" (idk what its called) under the top is gone. As is the nut and whatever is inserted into those feet.  I need to measure and make a little prop for the spring and I think I can get it level. I plugged it in, it spins.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth restoring? I may do it either way since it was dads. Thanks again, you guys are incredibly knowledgeable and I appreciate it. Any links to parts or info would be great, ive done some googling but cant seem much.

Also dad had a new needle and cartridge and some measuring tools pictured below. Any info greatly appreciated!

• jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 412
    that's a beauty of a machine.  simple, and it kicks ass.   if it's all working OK, that's all you should need (if you already have a receiver)
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Definitely worth restoring!

Will likely cost a little less than buying a new one, and it should last you another 40 years after that with some basic maintenance. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,938
    I vote to fix it.  May cost you some money but then you’ll have a solid turntable that belonged to your Dad!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,274
    demetrios said:
    RS65573 said:
    I want to spin this Friday but need a turn table. Can someone make a recommendation?

I hate to admit this, but back when I got my fan club singles that’s exactly what I played them on, haha. Little did I know…
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,274
    demetrios said:
    RS65573 said:

I hate to admit this, but back when I got my first fan club singles around 95, that’s exactly what I played them on, haha. Little did I know…

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    PJammin said:
    PJammin said:
    tdawe said:
    Has anyone seen any movement on their shipments yet, or is everyone still at the “Label Created” phase?
    Also label created. Still using UPS Mail Innovations (Expedited). 
    Sorry, it says "Shipment Ready for UPS" but no updates after the label was created on 2/4.
    Mine is still saying it this morning. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    RS65573 said:
    Nice! Like everyone else said, I would recommend trying to restore it. Up until about a month ago, I used my parents-in-law's old turntable from the late 70s for years. It still works great, but I wanted something new so I got an Audio Technica. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • dopazzdopazz Posts: 74
    RS65573 said:
    From what I can tell, this is a early 70s AR XB - Walnut Finish. Can anyone tell the year?  There is a missing foot on the bottom that makes it out of balance. The screw that is attached to the "deck" (idk what its called) under the top is gone. As is the nut and whatever is inserted into those feet.  I need to measure and make a little prop for the spring and I think I can get it level. I plugged it in, it spins.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth restoring? I may do it either way since it was dads. Thanks again, you guys are incredibly knowledgeable and I appreciate it. Any links to parts or info would be great, ive done some googling but cant seem much.

Also dad had a new needle and cartridge and some measuring tools pictured below. Any info greatly appreciated!

Yes, I would restore that AR turntable.

From the photos it appears to be missing the outer platter, which would sit on top of the inner platter that the belt goes around.  Could that be lying around somewhere?

Belts dryrot and deteriorate over time, you should probably find a new belt.

The measuring tools are for the cartridge alignment and tracking force adjustment.

The owners manual can be downloaded for free from the site below, but you'll need to register for a free account.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/acoustic-research/xb1.shtml

Here are some other people's opinions of this turntable.  The lowest rating is 4.5 stars.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php?make=Acoustic+Research&model=XB1

Here's a snippet of the owners manual showing everything that was included and how it was packed.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!
    I have the large platter and cover, just the bottom thin wood cover I assume it had is missing. I just bought a new belt which is on the way.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    PJammin said:
    PJammin said:
    tdawe said:
    Has anyone seen any movement on their shipments yet, or is everyone still at the “Label Created” phase?
    Also label created. Still using UPS Mail Innovations (Expedited). 
    Sorry, it says "Shipment Ready for UPS" but no updates after the label was created on 2/4.
    Mine is still saying it this morning. 
    Same
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    SO much for getting the record this weekend, wasnt that the point?

MP3 it is
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    CROJAM95 said:

MP3 it is
    Mail Innovations is terrible and I wish 10c would stop using them. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    CROJAM95 said:

MP3 it is

Next week is still sooner than August, isn't it?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • dopazzdopazz Posts: 74
    RS65573 said:
    THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!
    I have the large platter and cover, just the bottom thin wood cover I assume it had is missing. I just bought a new belt which is on the way.
    Yes, here's what the bottom should look like:

• tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Nothing against the fine people here on this forum, but if you’re looking for help with the restoration project I’d check out the Needles & Grooves board. Extremely knowledgable folks over there (particularly in the Audio Hardware section) and without the snottiness you can run into in other vinyl communities. 

Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Posts: 6,152
    edited February 2022
    Yeah before I fell off the deep end and dropped 10 grand into my setup, I used a 1970s Dual turntable for years.  They don’t make em like they used to.  Well, unless you drop cash like I did 🤔
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • tdawe said:
    Nothing against the fine people here on this forum, but if you’re looking for help with the restoration project I’d check out the Needles & Grooves board. Extremely knowledgable folks over there (particularly in the Audio Hardware section) and without the snottiness you can run into in other vinyl communities. 

I second this.  N&G is solid. Also, if you use Reddit, r/turntables is a huge resource.  Daily threads about old turntable finds and what needs to be done to restore
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.