Discussions on Benaroya Hall LP set.

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021
    Adi T said:
    Sealed just went for $3k on eBay (12/4). Just one bidder, at that starting price, but one is all it takes I guess. I wonder how true the reissue rumors are and what it would mean for the first pressings.
    Could have been a shill bid, who knows but every potential seller takes notice and they all raise their prices even if no one is really buying them at that price.

I know shill bidding happens but I tend to trust auction result more than the discogs past sales.  How are those even verified? The same person could be listing and buying their own stuff.  At least the auction sites theoretically can detect abnormalities in bidding 

I would be more concerned with the 2k open set that just sold. New seller, zero feedback.  To me that one was the anomaly. Two bidders.  Plus if your prepared to spend 2k why wouldn’t you also be willing to pay 2,030?  It ended kind of weird with bidder 1 just going away. 

I’m really bad at auctions though.  If I bid I can’t stop myself from going just a bit higher because it’s not that much more 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Adi T said:
    Sealed just went for $3k on eBay (12/4). Just one bidder, at that starting price, but one is all it takes I guess. I wonder how true the reissue rumors are and what it would mean for the first pressings.
    Could have been a shill bid, who knows but every potential seller takes notice and they all raise their prices even if no one is really buying them at that price.

I know shill bidding happens but I tend to trust auction result more than the discogs past sales.  How are those even verified? The same person could be listing and buying their own stuff.  At least the auction sites theoretically can detect abnormalities in bidding 

I would be more concerned with the 2k open set that just sold. New seller, zero feedback.  To me that one was the anomaly. Two bidders.  Plus if your prepared to spend 2k why wouldn’t you also be willing to pay 2,030?  It ended kind of weird with bidder 1 just going away. 

I’m really bad at auctions though.  If I bid I can’t stop myself from going just a bit higher because it’s not that much more 
    I never bid on anything with a starting high bid, I'll pass.

Bidding on ebay is also the easiest to manipulate.  That being said though these past few sales look legit.  It's the holidays, people have bonuses coming in so these prices aren't too crazy.

I'm surprised that a PJ20 colored set doesn't go for more or a Blue and Orange fixer to be honest.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mfc2006 said:
    Grab the tapes, master for vinyl, change the box, black vinyl, $50 and donate proceeds to YouthCare. 
    YES.

The Original would still maintain its value and those with sealed copies would finally have a copy that they would be willing to open & play. I just want to spin this damn thing. Prices are absolutely insane.
    Honestly, I think the value would drop by 70% or more.  All you would be paying for is the color, particularly if it was still in a nice box. 
  • Adi T said:

I'm surprised that a PJ20 colored set doesn't go for more or a Blue and Orange fixer to be honest.
    To me it’s the VFR into the wild considering what people are selling the MOV version for
  • Adi T said:

To me it’s the VFR into the wild considering what people are selling the MOV version for
    The one w the 7"?  Isn't that a $300 record?  
  • Adi T said:

Well the MOV has sold as high as  429 recently. That’s absurd.  It’s like the MOV keeps going up and the VFR never recovered from the reissue.  MOV usually goes 200 plus.  You literally could have picked VFR or MOV for the same price at the same time recently.  More than one picked MOV

• Adi T said:

Well the MOV has sold as high as  429 recently. That’s absurd.  It’s like the MOV keeps going up and the VFR never recovered from the reissue.  MOV usually goes 200 plus.  You literally could have picked VFR or MOV for the same price at the same time recently.  More than one picked MOV

Random outlier.  I wouldn't bother w that one as all the others for MOV are way cheaper.

People may have forgotten that there was an OG ITW?!?

Now I forgot if I have all 3 or not...  
    Adi T said:

Random outlier.  I wouldn't bother w that one as all the others for MOV are way cheaper.

MOV and Vinyl films are both RL mastered, so presumably they are exactly the same.  

What is the third version?  Is that the picture disc one?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,271
    I don’t sell much on ebay, but was surprised how easy it is to skip out as a buyer when I did sell something. Before the reissued my wife got me the orange binaural, not knowing it was fake and thinking $80 was a great price. So I tried to sell it what she paid for it. I had no idea people could bid then days later retract their bid or decide not to pay. They’ve definitely made the rules so it’s more buyer friendly.
    edited December 2021
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t sell much on ebay, but was surprised how easy it is to skip out as a buyer when I did sell something. Before the reissued my wife got me the orange binaural, not knowing it was fake and thinking $80 was a great price. So I tried to sell it what she paid for it. I had no idea people could bid then days later retract their bid or decide not to pay. They’ve definitely made the rules so it’s more buyer friendly.
    I wish you have a minimum feedback rating to bid on a sellers auction if you wanted to. Not that I sell very often but I dread it when it’s someone less than 3 who buys it.  It never goes smoothly 

one time I sold a sealed record (as a sealed collectible record) and they opened it said it wasn’t mint and acted like it was my fault.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    mace1229 said:
    yes and no. I bought a Blind Melon dvd from a gut in britain. he sent me a fucking thomas the train dvd. eBay's official decision was that I send the guy back the cartooon DVD AT MY COST and it would be at his discretion to send me the right one. absolute bs. I just took the loss. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Adi T said:

Random outlier.  
    Outlier(s) or a trend. No idea 

edited December 2021
    mace1229 said:
    yes and no. I bought a Blind Melon dvd from a gut in britain. he sent me a fucking thomas the train dvd. eBay's official decision was that I send the guy back the cartooon DVD AT MY COST and it would be at his discretion to send me the right one. absolute bs. I just took the loss. 
    I video every unboxing start to finish. Time stamped immediately after tracking says it’s delivered 

Some guy I knew of from a different forum sold an expensive watch (before the verified by eBay stuff where eBay authenticates it and ships it themselves to a buyer) 

anyway he sold a Rolex to some dude.  The guy had a fake of that same watch. Returned a fake one to the seller and said the seller was the actual scammer and shipped him a fake watch. Seller lost the dispute and was out the money and the real watch.

Watches and records are small-ish communities.  Word of scams like that get around quick 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • mrussel1 said:
    Adi T said:

MOV and Vinyl films are both RL mastered, so presumably they are exactly the same.  

What is the third version?  Is that the picture disc one?
    Counting the Pic Disc that's 4.  There was a Urban Outfitters version too.
  • Adi T said:

Random outlier.  
    Outlier(s) or a trend. No idea 

Outliers.  There are 3 BIN for under $300 on ebay now just sitting.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,903
    plus who opens a benny and doesn’t play it? I find that unbelievable 
    I opened it so the band could sign it.

Never played for serious. Was lucky to be there.

FWIW I will be updating the owners list over the holidays. Be sure to post any revisions.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • lorezzlorezz Posts: 18
    I was the bidder at $2k to start on this current one, and would have taken it for that price in order to re-sell. That was my top bid tho, and beyond that I wasn’t a buyer. Can’t say the second bid wasn’t a shill bid, but as I bowed out, I have no way to tell. 
    lorezz said:
    I was the bidder at $2k to start on this current one, and would have taken it for that price in order to re-sell. That was my top bid tho, and beyond that I wasn’t a buyer. Can’t say the second bid wasn’t a shill bid, but as I bowed out, I have no way to tell. 
    You think you would have made a profit buying for 2k? 
    mace1229 said:
    lorezz said:
    You think you would have made a profit buying for 2k? 
    I've got some Worldcom stock I'm trying to move. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    Yeah, no way you net a profit for a $2k opened, scuffed, records ungraded set. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    eBay is probably the highest market. Whatever you pay for it there you won’t get more for it somewhere else. 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited December 2021
    mace1229 said:
    eBay is probably the highest market. Whatever you pay for it there you won’t get more for it somewhere else. 
    You won't get more for it today. But a year or two from now unsealed might be 3k 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Air23Air23 Posts: 1,361
    looking for one copy in Europe
  • Adi TAdi T Posts: 161
    And in the meantime, found this during my random eBay browsing……

My $1 offer got rejected. 😒
    2003: Camden 7/6 | MSG 7/8 | MSG 7/9
    2006: East Rutherford 6/1 | East Rutherford 6/3
    2008: MSG 6/24 | MSG 6/25 | EV Solo Newark 8/7
    2010: MSG 5/20 | MSG 5/21
    2011: PJ20 Alpine Valley 9/3 | PJ20 Alpine Valley 9/4
    2012: EV Solo Orlando 11/27
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18 | Brooklyn 10/19
    2015: Central Park 9/26 | Mexico City 11/28
    2016: Fort Lauderdale 4/8 | Miami 4/9 | New Orleans 4/23 | Philadelphia 4/27 | MSG 5/1 | MSG 5/2
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    One listed now for 10k 🙄
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    SHZA said:
    One listed now for 10k 🙄
    I'm all for asking what you want, but jesus. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    SHZA said:
    One listed now for 10k 🙄
    Given the price, I don’t know why I find it so funny that it’s unsealed.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited January 2022
    I remember finally getting it and realizing one sctatch, and this thing is worthless, so I played it once and sold it out of paranoia.  The predicament of value on a item meant to be used
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Mookie1Mookie1 Posts: 223
    I would be interested in possibly selling my opened Benny for the 1.5K range to the original poster.  I believe that we live fairly close to each other.  I have never listened to it.  Won it in a Super Bowl squares when the Rams lost to the Pats.  Original owner played once.  Let me know if interested.
  • Mookie1 said:
    I would be interested in possibly selling my opened Benny for the 1.5K range to the original poster.  I believe that we live fairly close to each other.  I have never listened to it.  Won it in a Super Bowl squares when the Rams lost to the Pats.  Original owner played once.  Let me know if interested.
    So you won not just Lost Dogs but Benny too in a raffle?  Good for you!