Options

Ten Club, what is up with your shipping?

THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
edited November 2021 in The Porch
Is this a joke. $19 to ship 1 record and 1 cd. Its shipping in the US. What are you guys doing? 

Comments

• Options
    Is this a joke. $19 to ship 1 record and 1 cd. Its shipping in the US. What are you guys doing? 
    I'm guessing $5.00 for shipping and $14.00 for the handling, the office staff has to get paid also. 

But it is pretty ridiculous.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It would make it hard to justify purchasing from here if they didn't have a monopoly on about 98% of the products they sell.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    have you seen USPS prices lately?  Everything is expensive
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    have you seen USPS prices lately?  Everything is expensive

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,158
    Funny enough I feel like the shipping to Canada prices drop lately.

Wasn't USPS going broke and almost fell apart, and had to raise prices to keep it together?
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    I'm guessing $5.00 for shipping and $14.00 for the handling, the office staff has to get paid also. 
    I hate it when they say this line. It’s not like they are selling the vinyl at cost. Every record store has overheads, I know of no other company that a) generally charges so much for shipping and b) tries to justify it this way.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 245
    edited November 2021
    I ordered the EV Earthling LP & Deluxe CD during the mistaken early preorder. Once it was officially up, I checked to see how much it would cost in total. Even with the Deluxe CD costing slightly more when I ordered, the total the next time was higher…mainly because of a higher postage charge! 
    The postage prices do see a bit unstable at times! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: so basically what I’m saying is, the postage was different on each occasion to send the same items to the same address. 

Also had it where I’ve paid postage on an item, people on the forum have questioned if it’s correct, & then it’s been reduced by 10C to lower than what I’ve already paid (10C were swift to refund the difference). 
    Post edited by desolatejoy on
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    tino_11 said:
    I hate it when they say this line. It’s not like they are selling the vinyl at cost. Every record store has overheads, I know of no other company that a) generally charges so much for shipping and b) tries to justify it this way.
    We also pay a membership fee.

I know another company with "handling fees"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    edited November 2021
    Not sure where you live but shipping zones work east to west.  I sent the same package to 2 of my friends recently.  VA to Mass was $12, VA to Utah was $45

And, also, everything is expensive now.  As someone who ships things weekly/daily, 19 bucks for a record and a CD honestly sounds completely reasonable to me.  They dont control the rates.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Go digital. Never pay shipping again. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    You may have heard there are supply chain challenges everywhere. Shipping costs are at astronomical levels and everything is delayed.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Groceries have also been on the rise. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,503
    I just ordered smoke detectors for use by our facility. The quote included a $20 surcharge by the manufacturer to combat temporary higher costs for them including increased costs to have components shipped to them. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited November 2021
    JimmyV said:
    Exactly.   The Haves will sound just as cheesy on digital as vinyl.  :)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    A month or so ago I ordered some items from Brian Fallon’s online store and when I was checking out there was an option to add shipping insurance for 98 cents. And if you declined the insurance you also waived your right to get a refund or replacement if the items were lost or damaged during shipping. I thought that was some serious nonsense and didn’t complete the check out because of it.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    on2legs said:
    A month or so ago I ordered some items from Brian Fallon’s online store and when I was checking out there was an option to add shipping insurance for 98 cents. And if you declined the insurance you also waived your right to get a refund or replacement if the items were lost or damaged during shipping. I thought that was some serious nonsense and didn’t complete the check out because of it.  
    Would have done the same. That is some shadiness. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    They are shipping everything separately so the more you order the shipping is going to go up a bit.  They also don't ship media which is why they don't have like $5 shipping for a record. I totally get why they just want to offer one shipping option seeing how small of an operation they are.
  • Options
    TKeTKe Posts: 24
    I ordered the EV Earthling LP & Deluxe CD during the mistaken early preorder. Once it was officially up, I checked to see how much it would cost in total. Even with the Deluxe CD costing slightly more when I ordered, the total the next time was higher…mainly because of a higher postage charge! 
    The postage prices do see a bit unstable at times! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: so basically what I’m saying is, the postage was different on each occasion to send the same items to the same address. 

Also had it where I’ve paid postage on an item, people on the forum have questioned if it’s correct, & then it’s been reduced by 10C to lower than what I’ve already paid (10C were swift to refund the difference). 
    Same for me. I ordered during the "early preorder" and the shipping cost was 20 USD to Europe (vinyl, deluxe cd + cassette). Now it would be 35 USD just for the vinyl and cd.

If I'm not in a hurry trying to get something, I always try different combinations of items and see what the shipping cost will be at checkout. Sometimes even adding one sticker makes the shipping cost 20 dollars higher for some reason.
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    I think I will order from Amazon when they become available. Just cant justify paying double the price and then still get hit for tax on arrival.
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    I think we all understand about the supply chain issues and postal service nonsense, but let's face it Ten Club shipping has been outrageous and ridiculous for years-well before COVID and our current problems. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    JimmyV said:
    Exactly.   The Haves will sound just as cheesy on digital as vinyl.  :)
    I got the CD digipak just for the fun of flipping through it. But agree with the digital comment.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    on2legs said:
    Less than a dollar for insurance? Seems reasonable to me. They could just up by he shipping cost and not give you the option, at least they offer you the chance to save a dollar if you want.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    Less than a dollar for insurance? Seems reasonable to me. They could just up by he shipping cost and not give you the option, at least they offer you the chance to save a dollar if you want.
    It’s the tack on nature of the charge right before the final check out.  It’s deceptive.  The amount is not the issue.  

It’s cool if you find it reasonable - everyone has a right to their own opinion. But it felt shady to me and I passed on completing the transaction.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I’ve been seeing that insurance thing more lately mostly with bands that send their stuff through big merchandisers like hello merch or something like that.  I don’t have a problem because the insurance covers what insurance covers, it is actually nice of them to offer it and make it optional.   Based on how terrible USPS is I can see why they do it.  I am a little surprised they offer it because I could see someone complaining about a seam split or some little thing and claim it was damaged.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775

This is nothing compared to what I encountered recently.  My dad turned 88 in October.  We had plans to celebrate, etc. but I was not going to see him on his actual birthday.

The night before, I remembered one Father’s Day recently I bought him some balloons to the restaurant where we were all meeting.  He got such a kick out of the balloons, stated it was the first time anyone had ever bought him balloons.  That time I purchased them at the Dollar Store and probably spent $10.

So I thought, oh I should send dad some balloons to his home for his birthday.  Went online, found a nice arrangement, yeah it was going to cost me $30 for a bunch of balloons, but you know, it’s my dad.

When I went to check out, the final price with shipping was $65.  :o

No balloons for dad this year.  He was none the wiser.   

• Options
    apirk72 said:
    I’ve been seeing that insurance thing more lately mostly with bands that send their stuff through big merchandisers like hello merch or something like that.  I don’t have a problem because the insurance covers what insurance covers, it is actually nice of them to offer it and make it optional.   Based on how terrible USPS is I can see why they do it.  I am a little surprised they offer it because I could see someone complaining about a seam split or some little thing and claim it was damaged.
    Brian Fallon uses Merch Central and they use Route App as the third party insurance.  So instead of contacting the seller and having them send out a new item, you have to go through Route App.  If you have a free minute check the Better Business Bureau complaints for Route App.  Lots of complaints from people saying that Route App and the merchant point the finger at each other saying it’s the other company’s issue to correct.  Just what I want to do for a $22 vinyl - spend 2 hours on the phone getting the run around from customer service. 

• Options
    apirk72 said:
    Merch Central flat out says they won’t refund for bent corners, split seams, etc.  

They only authorize a refund if the damage affects playability. 

• Options
    Well I mean seam splits and bent corners happen when buying vinyl online so I don’t blame them for not doing anything with that, unless they do a shitty job packing it.  It is the price you possibly pay for the convenience of buying online.  People who complain about seam splits are the worst because unless you instruct them to take the records out of the sleeve there is a chance that it might happen.
  • Options
    desolatejoydesolatejoy London Posts: 245
    apirk72 said:
    Well I mean seam splits and bent corners happen when buying vinyl online so I don’t blame them for not doing anything with that, unless they do a shitty job packing it.  It is the price you possibly pay for the convenience of buying online.  People who complain about seam splits are the worst because unless you instruct them to take the records out of the sleeve there is a chance that it might happen.
    Norman Records have an option to request the records be taken out of the sleeves when you order with them. Seems fair enough to me, & hope more stores do it in future. 
    Vinyl sleeves & packaging has improved in recent years though, & record mailers are more robust. I’ve noticed a lot more records surviving travelling in the post. 
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    I think we all understand about the supply chain issues and postal service nonsense, but let's face it Ten Club shipping has been outrageous and ridiculous for years-well before COVID and our current problems. 

Yep.  Their shipping has been awful for years.  The cost and the time it takes UPS Mail Innovations to actually deliver it are both ridiculous.