TC Hearts unite for Astroworld Fest Tragedy

jgmochjgmoch Fayetteville, NC Posts: 79
edited November 2021 in The Porch
Good Morning, y'all.

Thank you for stopping by today. Just wanted to say a few things, and then let the rest of you sort this out. This is a difficult subject to speak about; especially because we're all clamoring to hear updates about Pearl Jam's North American Tour 2022. That said--- THIS discussion IS NOT FOR YOU, if you have issues with regard to mindfulness and compassion, common sense, public safety for all ticket holders, as well as, accountability for Live Nation and TicketMaster venues.

A couple of weeks ago, I authored a response to a thread demanding "Where the hell is PJ....," which was shut down by administrators because people began to drag me for it, rather than understand the bigger picture. In other words. some people couldn't see the forest because they're staring too intensely at their unused ticket stubs. 

This is what I said-- basically I asked the band to consider not touring during 2022 until superfans, promotors, and other associated affiliates correct some of the problematic issues regularly occurring at concert venues as of recent, as well as, explain to the band and management exactly how difficult it is for disabled people to attend large-scale festivals and venues, because they often lack reasonable assistance and accessibility to restrooms, nutrition and hydration, and, adequate staffing for possible serious medical needs.

Yesterday I read this article about, Astroworld Festival, where an undetermined number of people were trampled by an overwhelming crowd surge. About a dozen people lost their lives due to cardiac arrest or possible stroke, and, people were being pulled out of the frontline while unconscious and limp. The concert venue promoter is Live Nation; the same promoter that organizes and promotes all of Pearl Jam's shows. https://apple.news/AL5jl1BygRKWi1woDF2wg4g

So. Firstly, before we salt-and-pepper this conversation with opinion threads; let's all give a BIG SHOUT OUT to those folks who were in the crowd rescuing others, administering CPR, as well as, fighting for their families' lives. Also a BIG SHOUT OUT to the onsite EMT's and medical staff who became completely overwhelmed by serious medical conditions. Kids were lost in the crowd and trampled. Adults were fainting from compression and heat, and cardiac arrest. People had to be medically evacuated to hospitals, and yes, some of them died from their injuries. Without posting the entire article, because it's really upsetting -- if you've already read it -- then you can imagine how scary and insane the scene must have been. Total chaos amongst tens of thousands of people. Total nightmare scenario. 

This isn't an "I told you so" moment. What this is-- it's confirmation of what I was speaking about as a disabled person, from a disabled persons' perspective-- and unfortunately, some of my familiar Ten Club associates witnessed me get dragged, here, on this platform, for those statements.

All I'm asking -- on behalf of everyone who wants to attend shows and has similar concerns -- is that Pearl Jam consider working with a combination of different promoters and venues, even if that means scaling back the size of the venue in order to reduce crowd control issues, prioritize and fully accommodate able-bodied and disabled persons in an equitable manner, as well as, reconsider policies that do not exactly enhance public safety, when in reality and practice, some of those policies significantly decrease public safety, E.g. diabetics that must bring food or medical supplies to an all-day, or multi-day venue. Disabled attendees should not have to spend $3K - $7K on a VIP package in order to receive prioritized accessibility to restrooms, transportation around the venue, hydration and nutrition, as well as, adequate and properly trained medical staffing; that is basically discrimination, according to the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA), if these basic needs and services are not easily and readily accessible for everyone regardless of disability or socioeconomic status. Period.

Always expect at least 5% - 20% of your audience to have some sort of disability. Expect about 5% to need special accommodations and caretakers at the venue. Unfortunately, for the remaining able-bodied folks, regrettable incidents like this occur out of sheer negligence for public safety when overwhelming scores of panicked people are in fear for their lives. And, rightfully so.

Live Nation now wishes to open an investigation, not unto themselves with regard to their own fault and negligence; but instead, they wish to open an investigation with regard to the crowd itself...... the victims. This is classic corporate blame-shifting and gaslighting of the public. And, I'm here to call it for what it is -- BULLSHIT. 

Why am I bringing up 'disabled persons' as a baseline metric for how we proceed with organizing large-scale venues, as well as, the changes that need to be enacted or demanded from the public on everyone's behalf? Because if 'able-bodied' persons were trampled to death in a crowd of this magnitude, then just image how many partially disabled, or fully disabled people were defenselessly trapped within the surge.

Being that lawsuits will likely arise from this incident. I do believe it is an important enough issue for Curtis Management to consider. Especially, since there are two verifiied, back-to-back medical incidents that occurred during PJ's set at Sea Hear Now, as well as, Ohana Festival 2021. Proof of those incidents are on the bootlegs because Eddie stopped mid-song to check on the crowd.

Please. There are many of us out here who would like to attend a concert, especially a Pearl Jam show. But we cannot due to negligence issues with Live Nation, lack of real public safety and medical provisions (that do not undermine the promotor's bottom-line), as well as, equitable assistance and access to all venue services and facilities for able-bodied and fully-disabled attendees alike.

Maybe real change will be born out of this horrible tragedy. That's all we can hope for; as we wish for those folks and their families to know we, as Ten Club, share mindfulness, compassion, and empathy as you physically and psychologically recover from this unfortunate incident. TC HEARTS UNITE FOR ASTROWORLD FESTIVAL.

With love and respect for all involved.

Sincerely,

John Moch 

Temple_Of_Belltown
Post edited by jgmoch on

Comments

• Question for OP (not intended to be controversial but legitimately want to know what you think):  do you think the accommodations at arena venues are satisfactory? Festivals are a challenge for sure but the spring 2020 NA postponed tour does not include any of those.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Here’s the thing and I’m not sure how much you know about Travis Scott but he openly encourages people to sneak into his concerts and promotes violence. 

Now I can certainly see how pearl jam can help others who want to hold festivals and such with planning but I don’t think it is necessary. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    I understand making concerts more accessible for people with disabilities, but crowd surges and people sneaking in, hasn't really been an issue for PJ shows (aside from festival dates in years long ago).

Live Nation promotes most of the shows in north america. LN/TM have exclusive contracts with all the big, medium ,and many of the small venues.  I think you underestimate their reach.   PJ was was barely able to tour around them in 1995, and that tour ended in epic fail, and it's much worse in 2021 than it was in '95.

At this point I think it's impossible to tour without LN/TM because they have a monopoly on most of the venues.

I feel like we're tackling two issues here.   A single festival that organizers ran poorly, and accessibility options for people with disabilities.

The latter is probably the better way to go.   Given the band has limited options when it comes to Arena's and Stadium's they can play, how do they make there shows more accessible to people with disabilities?

• I have thought about it a lot since yesterday when I read and watched about Astroworld. A few thoughts after your post…

As it pertains to ADA concerns, I can only speak to the venues and music festivals I go to and observe. At Shaky Knees for example it appears that there are elevated platforms about midway back from the stage to allow those that need it the opportunity to use it to see the show. I would assume other festivals do this too? Then at some venues besides having ada seats, they even have a certain section blocked off close to the barricade on one side as well. I am curious your proposals for additional accommodations? 

I think it’s also important to note that thousands of concerts are put on without major incident around the world each year. We can’t just discredit every venue, promoter, on-site staff because of isolated incidents. I think there was a lack of awareness at this festival, lack of staff and an artist who encourages people to rage, but not in the fun way in which you can be rowdy, yet civil to some degree. I mean look at the guys who decided to jump on top of the emergency services golf cart, ridiculous. 

Long gone are the days that PJ ga sections are like this, so I especially don't think them cancelling would solve anything. 

Finally, let’s talk about personal responsibility. At festivals people will choose to ride the rail and not drink one sip of water during the day. Insanity! They are almost always the ones passing out and pulled out of the crowd by the time the sun goes down. I think every festival I have been to I have witnessed it happen to at least 2-3 people throughout the weekend. As for safety, if you feel unsafe at a show or expect raging, be alert and be prepared and decide if it’s really best to be in the middle of it all. I am by no means blaming those individuals that lost their lives, but moving forward everyone should ask themselves if certain things are worth the risks associated. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • A terrible tragedy. My heart goes to those who were lost and their families. Will be interested to get autopsy results (there was mention of needle jabs).

I did not like the video of Scott earlier telling the crowd to beat up a kid who apparently tried to steal his shoe. He is going to face some scrutiny for sure.

But if anything, this reiterates the fact that there is risk in everything you do when you walk out of the house, get in a car, or see a show. 

Indoor shows, even in the covid era, are by far safer than outdoor shows with large pits. Looking forward to a safe trio of indoor SoCal shows in early 2022.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    I am a type 2 diabetic, but don’t take medication for it. I control it with diet and exercise. I do worry about low sugar moments though and keep small bags of Skittles with me just in case. At Ohana Encore I had a few bags in my clear tote bag. The security person told me I couldn’t bring them in. When I told him about my diabetes and showed him my medical alert necklace, he was cool with it and let me in. That is just a small instance, but accommodations can be made. 
  • jgmochjgmoch Fayetteville, NC Posts: 79
    Question for OP (not intended to be controversial but legitimately want to know what you think):  do you think the accommodations at arena venues are satisfactory? Festivals are a challenge for sure but the spring 2020 NA postponed tour does not include any of those.  
    Yeah-- for sure. I do think the arena venues are more accommodating. They always have more staff on hand to assist people; usually they're local event staffing affiliated with the venue. Staffing at the festival venues are outnumbered vastly. No controversy in your question. Thanks for asking me to clarify.
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    Here’s the thing and I’m not sure how much you know about Travis Scott but he openly encourages people to sneak into his concerts and promotes violence. 

Now I can certainly see how pearl jam can help others who want to hold festivals and such with planning but I don’t think it is necessary. 
    Hey there! I don't know very much about Travis Scott; admittedly, I've been incoherent and sedated for a couple years. I'm not aware about his concerts or fanbase. 

I know Marilyn Manson and a lot of the really aggressive metal acts during the 90's promoted violence at their shows; so I guess that aspect of it all (like the mosh pit or whatever) is sort of subjective. Even Nirvana and Hole shows were kind of rough up front. Soundgarden and Ministry was like being stuck in a human washing machine. I know when I wasn't disabled, I certainly participated in my fair share of crowd-surfing and moshing. Once witnessed Greenday provoke a fan surge at Walnut Creek Amphitheater, in Raleigh, NC, circa 1994 (Lollapalooza Fest), but nobody died at those events. 

I agree. I don't think it's necessary for PJ to assist anyone with logistics. The issue is bigger than PJ; the issue falls on the promotors and fans. Promoters have to provide a measure of safety; and fans need to look out for one another.

Thanks for joining the conversation! Have a great day, LJCRF!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    Zod said:
    I understand making concerts more accessible for people with disabilities, but crowd surges and people sneaking in, hasn't really been an issue for PJ shows (aside from festival dates in years long ago).

Live Nation promotes most of the shows in north america. LN/TM have exclusive contracts with all the big, medium ,and many of the small venues.  I think you underestimate their reach.   PJ was was barely able to tour around them in 1995, and that tour ended in epic fail, and it's much worse in 2021 than it was in '95.

At this point I think it's impossible to tour without LN/TM because they have a monopoly on most of the venues.

I feel like we're tackling two issues here.   A single festival that organizers ran poorly, and accessibility options for people with disabilities.

The latter is probably the better way to go.   Given the band has limited options when it comes to Arena's and Stadium's they can play, how do they make there shows more accessible to people with disabilities?

Totally agree with everything you've said. Sounds like you've been around the scene for a while. We both have similar recollection of events from the 90's; and yes, unfortunately, it was an epic fail. We're seeing the results of it, now.

I was kind of hoping that PJ's demand, at this point, would change the narrative and give them more of a platform to initiate some changes. Because despite it all, they proved that regardless of monopolies; they have 'staying power.' 

We are tackling two issues here -- two birds with one stone, so to speak. The reason I did that is because Perry Ferrel once wrote a lyric, "How you treat the weak is your true nature calling." Twenty percent of that crowd was more vulnerable than the other eighty percent. By addressing the needs of the most vulnerable, you automatically address the needs of everyone else. That's all.

Your last question provokes some thought; so let's see where we can start. Feel free to make suggestions or further amendments:

1. Mobility assistance -- Often times folks with MS or neurological issues cannot walk long distances to access facilities, or they have an unexpected flare-up of symptoms. Arenas and amphitheaters are better at accommodating wheelchair assistance; but open-space, outdoor festival venues are not as prepared.

2. Take some of the VIP perks and transfer them, or make them automatically accessible to attendees with qualified disabilities, E.g. golf cart transport, snacks and water, climate controlled environments and rest areas. I understand this negates the whole VIP experience for people who buy $$$ VIP packages; however, folks with disabilities are 'very important people' too. We just happen to be socioeconomically disadvantaged. 

3. Caretakers -- For folks with severe disabilities who need full-time monitoring; allow one caretaker to attend the show with that person. If promoters do not want to add staffing for disability assistance, then allow a single caretaker to attend as a 'Guest of Honor.' This also applies to disabled vets or civilians that may have certified service animals. In order to accommodate this; promotors would need to offer a prioritized section for disability seating.

4. Enhanced medical services --- This may sound unreasonable to some; however, today's shows involve a lot more lighting and visual effects than thirty years ago. Event staffing and promotors, and fan neighbors, need to understand how to recognize and assist folks who are prone to having seizures from visual stimuli. Anti-convulsant medication doesn't always prevent an episode when overwhelming stimuli is present.

5. Medications and Personal -- Males are typically not allowed into venues with a bag or backpack. Often times, I've had to have a female carry my medications or personal items into a venue in case of emergency. That is a quasi-discriminatory policy that needs to change. 

Aside from some logistical modification or permissions; we, as attendees, ultimately need to look out for each other. We arrive together; we should leave the event ALIVE together.

Thank you for those questions. Have a great day, Zod!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,669
    Such a sad and scary situation.  Just terrible.

A major key is the artists' role.  EV watches the crowd like a hawk and if there is something he sees that he doesn't like, he gets it corrected.

Apparently this Travis scott has shows that are pretty crazy/rowdy in the crowd.  Probably tough to tell the difference.  He probably never expected this in 1000000 years and isn't watchful.  
    I have thought about it a lot since yesterday when I read and watched about Astroworld. A few thoughts after your post…

As it pertains to ADA concerns, I can only speak to the venues and music festivals I go to and observe. At Shaky Knees for example it appears that there are elevated platforms about midway back from the stage to allow those that need it the opportunity to use it to see the show. I would assume other festivals do this too? Then at some venues besides having ada seats, they even have a certain section blocked off close to the barricade on one side as well. I am curious your proposals for additional accommodations? 

I think it’s also important to note that thousands of concerts are put on without major incident around the world each year. We can’t just discredit every venue, promoter, on-site staff because of isolated incidents. I think there was a lack of awareness at this festival, lack of staff and an artist who encourages people to rage, but not in the fun way in which you can be rowdy, yet civil to some degree. I mean look at the guys who decided to jump on top of the emergency services golf cart, ridiculous. 

Long gone are the days that PJ ga sections are like this, so I especially don't think them cancelling would solve anything. 

Finally, let’s talk about personal responsibility. At festivals people will choose to ride the rail and not drink one sip of water during the day. Insanity! They are almost always the ones passing out and pulled out of the crowd by the time the sun goes down. I think every festival I have been to I have witnessed it happen to at least 2-3 people throughout the weekend. As for safety, if you feel unsafe at a show or expect raging, be alert and be prepared and decide if it’s really best to be in the middle of it all. I am by no means blaming those individuals that lost their lives, but moving forward everyone should ask themselves if certain things are worth the risks associated. 
    Thank you for your well composed response. Really good points here.

I recently became disabled, so there are many things I'm still learning about ADA accommodations and how venues provide those resources. I do remember seeing elevated priority seating at The Home Shows; but, that was the first time I'd ever seen prioritized seating for ADA folks. Maybe you can actually teach me some things here.

And, you're right. Thousands of shows go on without incident. Not meaning to discredit every venue, but I certainly didn't like Live Nation's statement. I felt like it was negligent, especially if Live Nation is aware of this particular artist and his antics. As people respond, I'm becoming more aware that it has to do with a particular artist, Travis Scott? Is that correct?

I agree with your risk vs. rewards assessment. I by no means want to imply personal responsibility isn't a factor; it's just something changed between the nineties and now. They used to allow people to enter venues with water and snacks, a small backpack with personals. But, a lot of that changed after 9-11. Venues are more strict in this modern era. For some, that means an additional level of security. For others, it means they have to make a choice between attending a venue or not.

Thanks again for those comments. Have a great day, drakeheurer14!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    A terrible tragedy. My heart goes to those who were lost and their families. Will be interested to get autopsy results (there was mention of needle jabs).

I did not like the video of Scott earlier telling the crowd to beat up a kid who apparently tried to steal his shoe. He is going to face some scrutiny for sure.

But if anything, this reiterates the fact that there is risk in everything you do when you walk out of the house, get in a car, or see a show. 

Indoor shows, even in the covid era, are by far safer than outdoor shows with large pits. Looking forward to a safe trio of indoor SoCal shows in early 2022.
    Yeah-- totally broke my heart when I read those stories. People were scared. Needle jabs? Seriously? That's insane!!!!

Ok. I'm getting a more clear picture about this Travis Scott person. This kind of reminds me of the Nikki Sixx / Motley Crue incident when he tried to get the crowd to beat up that security guard, and was yelling all kinds of slurs at him. 

Yeah-- ya'll are right. I'm in the grey area here. Glad y'all are chiming in to enlighten me about some things.

So we have a situation that occurred under unforeseen circumstances? However, does Live Nation know this guy promotes these antics at his shows? We're not talking about Alice Cooper, W.A.S.P., or Marilyn Manson tossing raw meat on fans for theatrics and shock-value...... We're talking about a guy who communicated mob threats at an audience member. 

Insane era we're living in. Yeah-- I agree with you. Sticking to indoor shows. These festivals are becoming too big for their own good. Hard to manage crowd safety and whatnot when event staffing is vastly outnumbered.

Have a great day, Spartanacus!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    edited November 2021
    I am a type 2 diabetic, but don’t take medication for it. I control it with diet and exercise. I do worry about low sugar moments though and keep small bags of Skittles with me just in case. At Ohana Encore I had a few bags in my clear tote bag. The security person told me I couldn’t bring them in. When I told him about my diabetes and showed him my medical alert necklace, he was cool with it and let me in. That is just a small instance, but accommodations can be made. 
    Thank you for sharing your advice. 

Ok. So I need to get a medical alert card and a clear bag. Makes sense. 

Just so y'all know --I just became disabled a couple years ago. Just now learning how to navigate the world again. So these comments, corrections, information, etc., is all enlightening for me. 

This is a much better discussion than what happened two weeks ago. Thank you, JeBurkhardt. Have a great day!
    Post edited by jgmoch on
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • Scott stopped the show 3x prior to it stopping completely. Why didn’t it get resolved at the 1st stop, he knew there was an issue. He could have said back up or I’m not playing anymore. Done. Just a shitty situation overall. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
    MayDay10 said:

A major key is the artists' role.  EV watches the crowd like a hawk and if there is something he sees that he doesn't like, he gets it corrected.

Apparently this Travis scott has shows that are pretty crazy/rowdy in the crowd.  Probably tough to tell the difference.  He probably never expected this in 1000000 years and isn't watchful.  
    Yeah-- I'm a fairly reckless person by nature. Not like mountain climbing is a very safe hobby, obviously, because I'm paying the ultimate price for it. Got a lot of ice in my veins. But, this situation would have probably scared me. Claustrophobia and inescapable chaos. Not a good mixture.

I agree. EV knows the audience so well he can recognize faces from years ago. But, he should not have to babysit the audience from the stage. That says something remarkable about the era we're living in, especially, as one previous commenter stated, 'personal responsibility.' EV used to go off; the crowd would go off; nobody died and nobody got ejected for moshing or crowd-surfing. We were all having fun in those days. What happened since?

If anybody remembers their history; Guns and Roses, St. Louis, MO. Nobody expected that incident either. Thankfully, this type of tragedy is the exception rather than the norm. However, it's a moment where we can all sort of reflect and think about whether "we're being our brother's keeper" when we attend shows.  

Thank you for commenting!! Have a great day, MayDay10!!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    MayDay10 said:

My husband said the same about the artist watching out for trouble.  I’ve never seen anyone as concerned as Ed is.  Don’t even know how he concentrates on the music while having to watch a bunch of drunk idiots or just plain idiots. I’m sure this is difficult for PJ.  And I think they’ll still have sympathy for TS and maybe even advice, you never know.  As for their plans on 2022 I think the pandemic will be more of a concern for them right now.  Arenas seem to have much more control attendees wise but if they can’t fill the requirements that PJ imposes for safety (lack of employees, covid protocols) I can see them waiting till 2023.  Can’t say how I feel about it because so much is still unknown about the virus, but those who want to criticize you (OP for suggesting the wait or the band) should take a step back and realize what’s important, not only to ourselves/themselves but for the band, their crew and especially their families. 
    Scott stopped the show 3x prior to it stopping completely. Why didn’t it get resolved at the 1st stop, he knew there was an issue. He could have said back up or I’m not playing anymore. Done. Just a shitty situation overall. 
    I think you just put the icing on the cake of common sense. Absolutely correct. Thank you for commenting and saying this.

Mic dropped here, folks. 

Have a great day, Foriginal Sin!!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    jgmoch said:
    Scott stopped the show 3x prior to it stopping completely. Why didn’t it get resolved at the 1st stop, he knew there was an issue. He could have said back up or I’m not playing anymore. Done. Just a shitty situation overall. 
    I think you just put the icing on the cake of common sense. Absolutely correct. Thank you for commenting and saying this.

Mic dropped here, folks. 

Thought they said if they stopped the show there would be a riot which would cause more injury. Encouraging people to attend (crash) the concerts is a huge red flag…..there’s capacity limits for a reason.  Don’t know if it would have mattered here but it absolutely does inside. 
  • Just adding that both SHN and Ohana had ADA designated areas from which to watch the show.  I am not certain one way or the other if the arrangements were suitable for food/drink and restrooms but for sure there were dedicated viewing areas.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    edited November 2021
    MayDay10 said:

My husband said the same about the artist watching out for trouble.  I’ve never seen anyone as concerned as Ed is.  Don’t even know how he concentrates on the music while having to watch a bunch of drunk idiots or just plain idiots. I’m sure this is difficult for PJ.  And I think they’ll still have sympathy for TS and maybe even advice, you never know.  As for their plans on 2022 I think the pandemic will be more of a concern for them right now.  Arenas seem to have much more control attendees wise but if they can’t fill the requirements that PJ imposes for safety (lack of employees, covid protocols) I can see them waiting till 2023.  Can’t say how I feel about it because so much is still unknown about the virus, but those who want to criticize you (OP for suggesting the wait or the band) should take a step back and realize what’s important, not only to ourselves/themselves but for the band, their crew and especially their families. 
    Thank you for contributing to this discussion. Really. Sympathy goes a long way; empathy is a lesson learned the hard way. EV has two or three brains in his head. He always downplays his intelligence, like humble folk typically do, yet, he's one of the most emotionally and cognitively intelligent people I've ever witnessed.

I hope TS wakes up this morning and has a serious conversation with himself. As harsh as that may seem, being that I don't know his state of mind at the present moment; he's still has to take responsibility for his words if he provoked the audience.

Some people may read this discussion and possibly interpret what I'm saying as, "Shut down the band. Shut down the venues." That's not what I'm saying at all. I want PJ to tour again. I want to see concerts and festivals resume as normal, pre-pandemic style. But, something about the culture wars is seeping into our exclusive territories of fun...... and that is where I'm drawing a line in the sand. Once an idiot mob starts ruining other peoples' fun time; I get annoyed.

Yeah-- I think the pandemic is their primary focus when decisions are being made. And, you know what? I'm ok with that. I've got twenty-something years worth of bootlegs and videos, thirty years worth of albums. I've got TC streaming and Nuggs to keep me happy until they decide to resume touring. Besides, if anyone missed out, EV and Ament dropped some pretty awesome music during the pandemic. Flag Day soundtrack is absolutely awesome! And, if you're feeling curious; check out the limited edition 7" single, Trashformer, by Donna Grantis featuring Mike McCready. Holy crap!! What a performance!!

So if people are getting impatient or bored. Then I suggest checking out some of their side projects in the meanwhile.
    Post edited by jgmoch on
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    edited November 2021
    jgmoch said:
    Don't try to do it
    Don't try to kill your time, oh
    Yeah, you might do it
    Then you can't change your mind, oh
    You've gotta hold on to your time
    Till you break through these times of trouble
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    Just adding that both SHN and Ohana had ADA designated areas from which to watch the show.  I am not certain one way or the other if the arrangements were suitable for food/drink and restrooms but for sure there were dedicated viewing areas.  
    Thank you for updating and verifying that fact. So do TC members have to request special tickets or accommodations beforehand? Or do they take care of you at the venue? I've never seen tickets for 'disability seating' so this is all kind of new to me.

I mean-- to be honest. After being homeless, in Seattle, I couldn't careless about a restroom personally. I'll pee right where I'm standing for all I care. No shame here, not after that experience. It's just that other people may not share a similar level of shamelessness in that regard. So this is helpful information for anyone who has similar questions. Restroom and food access is a big fricken deal for disabled folks, especially if they don't have an able-bodied companion to assist them.

Really appreciate your update. Have a great day, RatherStarved!!
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    If I missed a response, or you wish to chat on a deeper level without being subject to scrutiny. Feel free to send a private message to me. I'll reply just the same.
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    edited November 2021
    MayDay10 said:

Good for Eddie, but I'd prefer they hire an additional security guard that is on stage or above the stage with a bird's eye view to assist. They should be able to help people without stopping the show. This way Ed can do his thing without worrying in the back of his mind.

Folks...me thinks PJ is nearing the end with all things considered. Let's just hope they give us our 2020 Spring tour first.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
    MayDay10 said:

Good for Eddie, but I'd prefer they hire an additional security guard that is on stage or above the stage with a bird's eye view to assist. They should be able to help people without stopping the show. This way Ed can do his thing without worrying in the back of his mind.

Folks...me thinks PJ is nearing the end with all things considered. Let's just hope they give us our 2020 Spring tour first.
    You're correct. He shouldn't be so preoccupied and worried on stage. And, floor security cannot always see things happening beyond their line of sight. You definitely raised some good points, Spartanacus.

Psst... just between us.... me also thinks PJ is nearing the end with all things considered. I hope everyone gets to use their tickets in 2022. But, if not, this is one hell of a story to tell our grandchildren. I would compare it to the story my parents told me about Elvis. 

Elvis was scheduled to play in Fayetteville, NC, a couple of weeks before he passed. My parents never refunded the tickets and still have them till this day. I guess what I'm saying is -- shit happens. Now how do we deal with it and move forward, and what did we learn from it?
    Temple_Of_Belltown
    jgmoch said:

Mic dropped here, folks. 

Thought they said if they stopped the show there would be a riot which would cause more injury. Encouraging people to attend (crash) the concerts is a huge red flag…..there’s capacity limits for a reason.  Don’t know if it would have mattered here but it absolutely does inside. 

Once we arrive at a place where artists literally have to negotiate peace with a mob, the show is over. Period. Not sure how you dismantle a huge event like this without causing an uproar, especially since it was already in an uproar.

Yeah-- definitely a red flag. These were not Woodstock hippies crashing the show to take mud baths. Tragic and sad. 
    Temple_Of_Belltown
  • jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 412
    jgmoch said:
    Thank you for updating and verifying that fact. So do TC members have to request special tickets or accommodations beforehand? Or do they take care of you at the venue? I've never seen tickets for 'disability seating' so this is all kind of new to me.

I mean-- to be honest. After being homeless, in Seattle, I couldn't careless about a restroom personally. I'll pee right where I'm standing for all I care. No shame here, not after that experience. It's just that other people may not share a similar level of shamelessness in that regard. So this is helpful information for anyone who has similar questions. Restroom and food access is a big fricken deal for disabled folks, especially if they don't have an able-bodied companion to assist them.

Pretty sure, every PJ show I've bought tickets for, there is an 'do you require assistance' seats.  I could be wrong though.   I only started looking for that option this summer/fall as I was recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture and 95% of the shows I go to are mostly punk related and there's significant mosh pits and circle pits (which cause surges).  Not being able to fully walk properly and being warned about getting kicked/stepped on in that area of injury, i started looking at the ADA seating options, and if there wasnt I contacted the venue.  The one that did not have an option, was an outdoor show with The Bronx, DKM and Rancid in a parking lot,  Which is horrible dangerous on it's own, but they were very nice about responding and accommodating.   It's anecdotal but I have no problems asking anyone anything, as the worst anyone can say is no.
    edited November 2021
    jpgoegel said:
    jgmoch said:

Pretty sure, every PJ show I've bought tickets for, there is an 'do you require assistance' seats.  I could be wrong though.   I only started looking for that option this summer/fall as I was recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture and 95% of the shows I go to are mostly punk related and there's significant mosh pits and circle pits (which cause surges).  Not being able to fully walk properly and being warned about getting kicked/stepped on in that area of injury, i started looking at the ADA seating options, and if there wasnt I contacted the venue.  The one that did not have an option, was an outdoor show with The Bronx, DKM and Rancid in a parking lot,  Which is horrible dangerous on it's own, but they were very nice about responding and accommodating.   It's anecdotal but I have no problems asking anyone anything, as the worst anyone can say is no.
    I remember seeing a section a The Home Shows reserved for disabled attendees. But yeah, like you said, punk rock shows are a whole different beast entirely. Cannot figure out why punk bands like to play shows in asphalt parking lots. Still a mystery to me. I guess it's cheaper to rent out an abandoned lot?

So do you typically contact the venue after you purchase tickets, or before? That's kind of where I'm confused; because shows sellout so quickly, I do not know whether to purchase first and call later, or call first and possibly not get a seat period. 

Man, I bet that rupture sucked donkey-balls. I've been told that is one of the most painful injuries a person can sustain. Glad to hear you're mobile again. Glad to know you're out there taking calculated risks, not staying down and out. Much respect for pushing through.

Thanks for those comments and advice, jpgoegel. Have a great evening!
    Post edited by jgmoch on
    Temple_Of_Belltown