Options

America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    mace1229 said:
    It's only going to make it bigger.

It;s amazing that if you live a type of way and sing about it and if you aren't used to that way of living that it is a "dog whistle" and racist.

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
    Carjack an old lady at a red light
    Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
    Ya think it's cool, well, act a fool if ya like

I would hope that we are all against the things he was talking about?
    I don’t think that’s the part anyone has issues with.

it’s lines like:
    ”Cuss out a cop, spit in his face
    Stomp on the flag and light it up
    Yeah, ya think you're tough

Well, try that in a small town
    See how far ya make it down the road
    Around here, we take care of our own”

and

“Full of good ol' boys, raised up right
    If you're looking for a fight
    Try that in a small town”

That are making people say it promotes vigilantism. To say he’s calling for murder for disrespecting police is a big stretch, which I’ve seen on a lot of the comments.

I read the lyrics and think a small town doesn’t do that to itself. They wont burn each other’s stores down in “protest.” I don’t see a call for murder.
    the irony here is that in the small towns the hospitals i work at serve, literally none of the stuff in that song happens. none of it.

there are more blue lives matter bumper stickers in these parking lots than any other kind.
    Isn't that the point of the song though?  That none of it will happen or does happen?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    nicknyr15 said:
    Strictly commenting on the “lyrics” thing. Really? We’re offended by song lyrics now? Anyone ever listen to rap? 
    Johnny Cash did shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,194
    Nine...check. AK...check. CLACK CLACK BANG BANG! Talk amongst yourselves.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    mace1229 said:

It;s amazing that if you live a type of way and sing about it and if you aren't used to that way of living that it is a "dog whistle" and racist.

it’s lines like:

and

That are making people say it promotes vigilantism. To say he’s calling for murder for disrespecting police is a big stretch, which I’ve seen on a lot of the comments.

I read the lyrics and think a small town doesn’t do that to itself. They wont burn each other’s stores down in “protest.” I don’t see a call for murder.
    the irony here is that in the small towns the hospitals i work at serve, literally none of the stuff in that song happens. none of it.

there are more blue lives matter bumper stickers in these parking lots than any other kind.
    That's because criminals are TERRIFIED of Aldean's lyrics and the rednecks that will gleefully take care of their town. A town where exercising your first amendment right to burn the flag will result in the physical assault of your head, face and groin area.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

That's because criminals are TERRIFIED of Aldean's lyrics and the rednecks that will gleefully take care of their town. A town where exercising your first amendment right to burn the flag will result in the physical assault of your head, face and groin area.
    True dat... based on this song, you can bet moving forward I'm going to second guess cussing out a cop in a small town or fear of being chased down the road by the good ol' boys. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

True dat... based on this song, you can bet moving forward I'm going to second guess cussing out a cop in a small town or fear of being chased down the road by the good ol' boys. 
    Meal Team Six and/or the Gravy Seals will beat your fuckin ass
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

the good ol boys was the rival band in the blues brothers. those guys seemed pretty cool. plus they liked to fight.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    speaking of the blues bros, they were antifa.

or at least anti illinois nazis, which is basically the same thing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026
    Ignorance is bliss.
    Every time a president speaks somewhere I'm going to bring up an incident that happened there or what a previous president from 100 years ago said because I don't want people to be ignorant of the history of that area.
    You're missing my point, Chris. 

I can accept they didn't know in advance about the location of the video... doubling down on it after learning the history of what happened though is the ignorance I'm talking about. If someone doesn't care about the history of lynchings or sundown towns in this country, fine, that person simply doesn't care. But that doesn't mean the reactions or people calling it out as being shitty and tone deaf are unreasonable. 

How does the saying go about those who refuse to learn from history? 
    How many courts had some sort of misjustice if you go back 100 years though? You won’t be allowed to film anywhere if that is the standard.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

That’s the point of the song, he’s saying they don’t put up with that in a small town, so you won’t see it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

Murder?  Where does it say murder?  Dear lord people stretch for things.

I'm sure Good ol' boys and Raised right stirred up some shit too.
    The tweet that was shared here that I responded to said  “That's where Aldean chose to sing about murdering people who don't respect police.”
     I 
    agree, it’s a big stretch to get to that conclusion from the lyrics.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 346
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

No wonder you seem so miserable and butt hurt all the time on here… Living in a area that supports it’s Police must be incredibly difficult. 
    Perhaps you can throw on a BLM sticker on your Subaru to get back at them…
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

No wonder you seem so miserable and butt hurt all the time on here… Living in a area that supports it’s Police must be incredibly difficult. 
    Maybe it’s a Canadian thing, but when someone seems miserable, I’d be considered a real jackass for bringing that up and continuing with mockery.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

my life is great, thanks for your concern.

i drive a jeep, thanks.

gobbless.

• Options
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

Maybe it’s a Canadian thing, but when someone seems miserable, I’d be considered a real jackass for bringing that up and continuing with mockery.
    it's ok. i welcome their hate. if someone like that dislikes me, i know i am doing something right.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

it's ok. i welcome their hate. if someone like that dislikes me, i know i am doing something right.
    Damn right. And I hope she’s wrong about the misery and that things are good in your life :) 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

Damn right. And I hope she’s wrong about the misery and that things are good in your life :) 
    that person is wrong. thanks man. :)

• Options
    edited July 2023
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.
    Every time a president speaks somewhere I'm going to bring up an incident that happened there or what a previous president from 100 years ago said because I don't want people to be ignorant of the history of that area.

I can accept they didn't know in advance about the location of the video... doubling down on it after learning the history of what happened though is the ignorance I'm talking about. If someone doesn't care about the history of lynchings or sundown towns in this country, fine, that person simply doesn't care. But that doesn't mean the reactions or people calling it out as being shitty and tone deaf are unreasonable. 

How many courts had some sort of misjustice if you go back 100 years though? You won’t be allowed to film anywhere if that is the standard.
    You established the location is a non issue for you, so what’s the point here? 

Some people recognize that filming the video for a song celebrating small town vigilante justice at the site of a lynching is shitty and tone deaf. You reject that assertion, which is your right. 

Ignorance is bliss, I get it. 
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mace1229 said:

it’s lines like:

and

Damn right. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.

Some people recognize that filming the video for a song celebrating small town vigilante justice at the site of a lynching is shitty and tone deaf. You reject that assertion, which is your right. 

Your last statement is why I’m responding. And I guess that is my point. I think it’s meaningless. A very sad, but small story from 100 years ago.
    The fact that you call people ignorant for not thinking it’s a big deal is why I’m responding. Because you’re not even making mountains out of mole hills. You’re making mountains from nothing. They filmed there. Something bad happened 100 years ago, it’s a non story.
    And it’s more about speaking against the violence and car backings than vigilante justice. For some reason telling people not to beat up old ladies in public and saying they won’t get away with it is upsetting to some.
    If you go back 100 years I’m sure you can find something negative with pretty much every location. But it’s only racist and wrong  when Aldean does it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.

Your last statement is why I’m responding. And I guess that is my point. I think it’s meaningless. A very sad, but small story from 100 years ago.
    The fact that you call people ignorant for not thinking it’s a big deal is why I’m responding. Because you’re not even making mountains out of mole hills. You’re making mountains from nothing. They filmed there. Something bad happened 100 years ago, it’s a non story.
    If you go back 100 years I’m sure you can find something negative with pretty much every location. But it’s only racist and wrong  when Aldean does it.
    You’re ignoring the context of the song to make this point. I’m sorry you don’t like the word ignorant, but in this case, it’s applicable. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.

And it’s more about speaking against the violence and car backings than vigilante justice. For some reason telling people not to beat up old ladies in public is triggering some.
    how do you feel about these youtubers and influencers filming at auschwitz? i mean something bad happened there 80 years ago.

• Options
    i'm not comparing the two, but where is the line here?

• Options
    ignorance is bliss
    phrase of ignorance
    PROVERB
    1. if you do not know about something, you do not worry about it.
  • Options
    i would not want jason aldean shooting that video for that song on the steps of the old courthouse in st louis where the dred scott decision was handed down.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.

And it’s more about speaking against the violence and car backings than vigilante justice. For some reason telling people not to beat up old ladies in public is triggering some.
    how do you feel about these youtubers and influencers filming at auschwitz? i mean something bad happened there 80 years ago.
    I’m not aware of any of those. I guess it depends on why they’re there. The big difference is the whole world knows what happened there. Most of the residents of this small town probably don’t even know what happened.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.

You’re ignoring the context of the song to make this point. I’m sorry you don’t like the word ignorant, but in this case, it’s applicable. 
    The song is anti riots as a form of protests, it appears to be against the 2020 riots and references. It also appears to be true, that stuff didn’t happen in the small towns. I don’t remember any coverage of arson and beatings in protests in Laramie WY. Gimme even said in all his travels in small towns he didn’t see that behavior. So there’s some truth in the lyrics, people don’t burn es CJ other businesses down. When I read the lyrics and watched the video that’s what I thought of too, I don’t see it as a vigilante song.

You acknowledged they probably weren’t aware of the history. So what do you expect them to do once it was revealed after the release of the video? Scrap the whole thing and spend another 100k reshooting it somewhere else and hope they didn’t have any skeletons in their closet either?
    It just seems ridiculous to blame them for using a location that nobody was aware of a single incident 100 years ago. I don’t think ignorant means what you think it means.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,337
    edited July 2023
    Guessing a lot of the maga January 6th terrorists came from small towns...BUT YOU CAN'T DO NO INSURECTIN' THERE! Gotta get to that big town for that!

Country music blows. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ignorance is bliss.

The song is anti riots as a form of protests, it appears to be against the 2020 riots and references. It also appears to be true, that stuff didn’t happen in the small towns. I don’t remember any coverage of arson and beatings in protests in Laramie WY. Gimme even said in all his travels in small towns he didn’t see that behavior. So there’s some truth in the lyrics, people don’t burn es CJ other businesses down. When I read the lyrics and watched the video that’s what I thought of too, I don’t see it as a vigilante song.

You acknowledged they probably weren’t aware of the history. So what do you expect them to do once it was revealed after the release of the video? Scrap the whole thing and spend another 100k reshooting it somewhere else and hope they didn’t have any skeletons in their closet either?
    It just seems ridiculous to blame them for using a location that nobody was aware of a single incident 100 years ago. I don’t think ignorant means what you think it means.
    I admire that you stick to your guns, I genuinely do. 
    I was ignorant as to the historical significance of the location. In an effort to understand better, I read up on it before chiming in. I’m now less ignorant of the controversy than I was before.

I’m not the one struggling with the definition of ignorance here, Mace. 
    While we’re clearing things up, I never once said Aldean was racist, just *ignorant*. 

ig·no·rant
    /ˈiɡnərənt/

adjective
    1. lacking knowledge or awareness in general

This discussion has been closed.