Options

Betcha like Gigaton now!

Comments

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    Im sure for Ohana, the band, Ed in particular will look at the set and the placement of the new tracks and make some tweaks and then again they might say ‘fuck it’. We’ll play what we like when we like. All jokes aside, the Ohana sets will be intriguing. I wonder if they’ll start with 4-5 mellow slower tracks a’la telluride.  
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited September 2021
    I’ve never been a fan of opening slower songs, but if there was ever a time where Release would’ve been appropriate, it was last night.
    I'm a big fan of the slow song to start, but not the 2-3 slow songs that they've been doing more recently.  One slow song and then a jolt into a fast one.  
    Yes. That two song slow-start is "weird". Having Pendulum as the "intro" at every show and then choose another slow song  that specific tour was one thing. But post that... naw... (and I love slow PJ songs)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,841
    edited September 2021
    @HughFreakingDillon Did I tell you how I felt about DOTC opening?

to me the best one two punch to start a show is release into go.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    I aint a huge fan of Gigaton, but would take any song from it over a cover song. Just saying
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    mcgruff10 said:

lol. I actually loved pendulum->release they were doing on the LB tour. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Yep.  Doesn’t get much better than that.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714
    mcgruff10 said:

My favorite opening of any show I saw was Detroit 2014 

Release 
    oceans 
    nothingman 

then right in to Go. Absolutely insane. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Release 
    oceans 
    nothingman 

I need Oceans. not a white whale. well, it is, but that's not why I want to hear it live. as a bass player, I REQUIRE to hear it live. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Big fan of Gigaton & really liked what I heard from the SHN videos. That being said, I truly don't care what they play. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Release 
    oceans 
    nothingman 

I need Oceans. not a white whale. well, it is, but that's not why I want to hear it live. as a bass player, I REQUIRE to hear it live. 
    About lost my mind when they opened with it in my hometown summer 98' - you should give this show a listen Hugh. It's a dark horse of that entire tour. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKT0W7sKpLg&t=3732s

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited September 2021
    mfc2006 said:
    Big fan of Gigaton & really liked what I heard from the SHN videos. That being said, I truly don't care what they play. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.
    That’s the spirit. I just wanna see them. That being said I loved them opening with my top 3 Gigaton songs
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Release 
    oceans 
    nothingman 

About lost my mind when they opened with it in my hometown summer 98' - you should give this show a listen Hugh. It's a dark horse of that entire tour. 

will do bud. thanks!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    JPPJ84 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    That’s the spirit. I just wanna see them. That being said I loved them opening with my top 3 Gigaton songs
    Yup. Just going to enjoy the moment!

nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Release 
    oceans 
    nothingman 

GREAT SHOW!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    edited September 2021
    I actually loved Pendulum as an opener for the LB tour. I just enjoyed how into it they were. If the band is hyped, so am I. Usually their newer stuff fits that bill.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I actually loved Pendulum as an opener for the LB tour. I just enjoyed how into it they were. If the band is hyped, so am I. Usually their newer stuff fits that bill.
    Didn't Mike use a violin bow on opening night in Pittsburgh back 2013? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,762
    Any time I saw him do pend he used a bow. Ahh the good old days.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,441
    Thanks to Jim Powers on YT for the shows.  Finally now understand that "Gigaton" was an inside joke, meaning gig-a-ton because they planned on a heavy tour.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,252
    SS105464 said:
    Nope....Gigaton is the weakest album and live versions are still versions of mediocre songs.  There are a few good ones, but overall a dud in my book.  I've been here for the entire ride so I know how great their catalogue of songs are, and none of these are in the top half.  If you enjoy Gigaton, all the power to you.  I am disappointed at the setlist given it's their first show in years and Gigaton is a year and a half old.
    nope
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SS105464 said:
    Nope....Gigaton is the weakest album and live versions are still versions of mediocre songs.  There are a few good ones, but overall a dud in my book.  I've been here for the entire ride so I know how great their catalogue of songs are, and none of these are in the top half.  If you enjoy Gigaton, all the power to you.  I am disappointed at the setlist given it's their first show in years and Gigaton is a year and a half old.
    nope
    Festival level set list….

And I think the new songs sound STUPID good. Can’t wait to hear the rest. 

I’m in camp Gigaton ;-)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    Quite ironic that Gig-a-ton ended up being more Not-a-gig. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,354
    Didn't Mike use a violin bow on opening night in Pittsburgh back 2013? 
    Yes, he did.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,441
    Quite ironic that Gig-a-ton ended up being more Not-a-gig. 
    Almost as ironic as Larry Bird really knew how to Drib-L.
  • Options
    bigbiggzy said:
    SS105464 said:
    nope
    Festival level set list….

And I think the new songs sound STUPID good. Can’t wait to hear the rest. 

I’m in camp Gigaton ;-)
    Yeah it's a good camp to be in
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I have no problem with opening with Dance. Watching the stream at home, I was pumped and happy they had the balls to do it. 

But honestly, they should've just started with Who Ever Said.....good album opening/ seems like a good show opener. Can't wait to hear that live. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WES would’ve been baller as the opener…just epic. 

I have to admit - the new songs sounded better than anticipated. I love everything I’ve heard so far. 

For my .02….they transfer live very well. 
  • Options
    bigbiggzy said:

I have to admit - the new songs sounded better than anticipated. I love everything I’ve heard so far. 

Totally agree. I am not very confident in how the latter parts of the album will sound live but the ones they chose Saturday plus WES are very promising. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    mcgruff10 said:
    if people don't like gigaton, that's totally fine, everyone has different tastes, but what I don't get is thinking they should ignore an album live because it's a year and a half old. 

um, it's their newest one. every other record is older than that one. how does that make a lick of sense?
    My only issue is they opened the show with one of the most non sounding pearl
    jam songs in the catalogue.  I m telling you, the crowd was about to explode and then the wind was taken out of the sails.  It really was a let down. Read the room, open with a song a long. 
    Dance is a great song, and I enjoyed it a lot. But mcgruff10 is right. I was 100 ft away from the stage, so of course the super fans will enjoy. The crowd behind had no idea and it killed any momentum the show could have started with. The crowd was ready to explode. Ah well! I kind of enjoy that Ed was basically like, “its been 3.5 years, you think you’re getting hits? Fuck you, you’re getting 3 new ones off the bat!”

I understand what you're saying but I give them a ton of credit for coming out of the gates with Clairvoyants at a festival.  I personally liked it and thought Quick Escape was great also.  For me, the biggest misstep was playing Seven O'Clock third.  I thought that Quick Escape built some energy in the crowd (especially the ending) even among the people who weren't familiar with it.  Faces were getting melted and the crowd was getting energized but then they really destroyed any momentum they had built by playing Seven O'Clock next.  Corduroy right after Quick Escape would have been fantastic.
  • Options
    Did/do not enjoy Gigaton as an album.

Hearing DOTC live was nice though.  It sounded much different.  The other songs?  They'll have to grow on me.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    I've always like Gigaton. Was great to hear those new songs played live from Sea Hear Now thanks to Tom Jones.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    bigbiggzy said:

Totally agree. I am not very confident in how the latter parts of the album will sound live but the ones they chose Saturday plus WES are very promising. 
    I was thinking he may do Comes then Goes during his solo set rather than with the band?!