Options

Betcha like Gigaton now!

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    edited September 2021
    They should've revamped DOTC to sound less sterile live. It makes the album hit a brickwall when it comes and sounds off live with the rest of the songs. I think it will sound off wherever in the set it comes though. (to clarify: not saying anything about the quality of the song.

https://youtu.be/39s70DwIY5M

But I respect them opening with it and not play into the hands of the "mainstream" part of the crowd. The less "swinging on lamps" and "bring us your babies and we hang a tambourone around their neck" the better. 

But if not "Can't Keep" then they should have opened with Quick Escape. Whether he admits it or not, that would have had McGruff up and dancing.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    I was impressed they played 6 new songs at festival and it gave me a pretty good head start on seeing the whole album live.  I think I’m easy to please though as a fan.  I would have been happy with whatever they chose to play after such a long layoff.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    ha ha spirtual but I do agree with you that quick escape would have been a much better opener.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    edited September 2021
    on2legs said:
    I was impressed they played 6 new songs at festival and it gave me a pretty good head start on seeing the whole album live.  I think I’m easy to please though as a fan.  I would have been happy with whatever they chose to play after such a long layoff.  

Song-checkbox-checkers... you can't live with them, you can't be in a Pearl Jam crowd without them (looking down app-gazing).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    on2legs said:

Song-checkbox-checkers... you can't live with them, you can't be in a Pearl Jam crowd without them (looking down app-gazing).
    At this point I’ve seen a ton of rarities.  Hearing new songs is the new white whale. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

At this point I’ve seen a ton of rarities.  Hearing new songs is the new white whale. 
    buckle up is going to be a tough one to get.

where were you standing last night?  I was to the right of the sound stage pretty much next to the snow fence along the ocean.  I'm guessing about 100 yards away from the stage.  
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    SS105464 said:
    Nope....Gigaton is the weakest album and live versions are still versions of mediocre songs.  There are a few good ones, but overall a dud in my book.  I've been here for the entire ride so I know how great their catalogue of songs are, and none of these are in the top half.  If you enjoy Gigaton, all the power to you.  I am disappointed at the setlist given it's their first show in years and Gigaton is a year and a half old.
    To each their own, but DOTC and Quick Escape are in my top 10 or 15 PJ songs. With a few others not far behind. Easily my favorite since Binaural (Avocado might be close).

And yeah, to think they weren’t going to be playing Gigaton songs because it came out a year and a half ago is a head scratcher. If anything the circumstances would suggest that they would be even more eager to play them. 
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    The new songs fucking smoke live! Hope all you SHN folks are having fun getting to the be the first to hear em’ 
    Always loved it but they kicked ass live. All of them
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    edited September 2021
    on2legs said:

Too bad retrograde and river cross were ax’ed! 

I think everyone but Ohana 4x attendees might have trouble completing Gigaton 

also, where is Comes then Goes?
    Post edited by SVRDhand13 on
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

buckle up is going to be a tough one to get.

where were you standing last night?  I was to the right of the sound stage pretty much next to the snow fence along the ocean.  I'm guessing about 100 yards away from the stage.  
    I’m thinking once they tour next year most of these will come off the board quick if you go to a few shows in a row.  But there will always be that one song you miss… like buckle up. 😁

We were in that same general area but more towards the middle than the snow fence.  We moved up from where we were originally because the volume really tailed off exponentially the further away you got.  

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,376
    Dance was not a let down from the videos I've seen 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I should probably go back and listen to Gigaton. I haven't listened to it since it released. I can't even really remember what the songs sound like that y'all are talking about.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    I should probably go back and listen to Gigaton. I haven't listened to it since it released. I can't even really remember what the songs sound like that y'all are talking about.
    I've been listening for a year and a half
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    SS105464 said:
    Nope....Gigaton is the weakest album and live versions are still versions of mediocre songs.  There are a few good ones, but overall a dud in my book.  I've been here for the entire ride so I know how great their catalogue of songs are, and none of these are in the top half.  If you enjoy Gigaton, all the power to you.  I am disappointed at the setlist given it's their first show in years and Gigaton is a year and a half old.
    Debbie downer man. You would complain if you won the lottery I bet. Ur post is a dud in my book. Do you like anything? What’s ur book look like?  Does ur book have Pictures ?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    SS105464 said:
    Debbie downer man. You would complain if you won the lottery I bet. Ur post is a dud in my book. Do you like anything? What’s ur book look like?  Does ur book have Pictures ?
    A year and a half later and you still can’t accept that not everyone likes Gigaton. 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    nicknyr15 said:
    SS105464 said:
    A year and a half later and you still can’t accept that not everyone likes Gigaton. 
    Lol. There’s a difference between not liking something and showing up to a thread to intentionally be a downer. Saying that the band shouldn’t want to play those songs because the album is a year and a half old is literal nonsense given the circumstances.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    SS105464 said:
    Haha. Thought the same.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    SS105464 said:
    Haha. The fans on here don’t like anything. It’s just what they didn’t get, didn’t like etc. I said my peace, I like it, best record in last 10 years easy. But if I’m not a huge fan of something I don’t call it a dud. Some people just don’t have taste. That’s cool, get in your time machine and go back to 1992 where you feel more comfortable. That’s all. Time for football and gambling.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    nicknyr15 said:
    SS105464 said:
    Haha. The fans on here don’t like anything. It’s just what they didn’t get, didn’t like etc. I said my peace, I like it, best record in last 10 years easy. But if I’m not a huge fan of something I don’t call it a dud. Some people just don’t have taste. That’s cool, get in your time machine and go back to 1992 where you feel more comfortable. That’s all. Time for football and gambling.
    So if I don’t like Gigaton, according to you, I don’t have taste and I only want another 1992 sounding Pj record? Hahah. Cool. 
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    edited September 2021
    If people think dance of the clairvoyants is a momentum killer, buckle up will be a scorched earth, go to the bathroom even if you don't have to go, emergency brake, immediate energy stop when played live.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    I am not sure what qualifies as an amped crowd for a PJ show. I only ever see big reactions for the 90s hits. I distinctly remember being the only one amped for Mind Your Manners at Wrigley, in 10c seats. So my crowd expectations are low I guess. 

The guy next to me did ask for the song name after Seven O’Clock. So that’s at least guy impressed by a first listen!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    on2legs said:

I’m assuming Ed needs a certain headspace for Comes then Goes. SHN was too short of a set and not the right crowd. I’m expecting it will show up more on the tour.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    I am not sure what qualifies as an amped crowd for a PJ show. I only ever see big reactions for the 90s hits. I distinctly remember being the only one amped for Mind Your Manners at Wrigley, in 10c seats. So my crowd expectations are low I guess. 

The guy next to me did ask for the song name after Seven O’Clock. So that’s at least guy impressed by a first listen!
    That's how it is at most shows. Unless it's a tenclub only show. So I don't get why people complain about song openers?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    If people think dance of the clairvoyants is a momentum killer, buckle up will be a scorched earth, go to the bathroom even if you don't have to go, emergency brake, immediate energy stop when played live.
    I seem to be in a sizable minority of people who like Buckle Up and think it would be great live. It’s not a big dancer, but it has a nice groove. A good intermediate set song. I would think that Alright would be the bathroom song. Just my opinion, and I certainly will not vouch for my own musical taste :)
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    on2legs said:

I’m assuming Ed needs a certain headspace for Comes then Goes. SHN was too short of a set and not the right crowd. I’m expecting it will show up more on the tour.
    Yeah but it’s not even listed in the app.
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    I seem to be in a sizable minority of people who like Buckle Up and think it would be great live. It’s not a big dancer, but it has a nice groove. A good intermediate set song. I would think that Alright would be the bathroom song. Just my opinion, and I certainly will not vouch for my own musical taste :)
    I am really looking forward to Buckle Up live. It's a hugely under-rated song.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    @mcgruff10 was hoping they would open with You Are! 

• Options
    rummy said:
    on2legs said:

Yeah but it’s not even listed in the app.
    Ohh gotcha! I thought you meant on the setlist.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    on2legs said:
    :giggle:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    I would have left!