Options

Betcha like Gigaton now!

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Disclaimer, I love every record they have put out. My only real
    dislike has been Foxy Mop. My fave era was 1993-1998, but just feel so lucky to have a favorite band that keeps making music and that have very active side projects that are just as awesome IMHO. Listened to Gigaton with Get It Back added while I mowed the yard earlier. It is a really great record and a nice breakaway from the others before it. Comes and Goes is super tough to listen to still. Can’t believe Cornell is gone. It is so obvious to me that is who the song is about and I almost skipped it, but didn’t today. Those vocals are soaked with emotion. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    @mcgruff10 was hoping they would open with You Are! 
    I would have left!
    =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Disclaimer, I love every record they have put out. My only real
    dislike has been Foxy Mop. My fave era was 1993-1998, but just feel so lucky to have a favorite band that keeps making music and that have very active side projects that are just as awesome IMHO. Listened to Gigaton with Get It Back added while I mowed the yard earlier. It is a really great record and a nice breakaway from the others before it. Comes and Goes is super tough to listen to still. Can’t believe Cornell is gone. It is so obvious to me that is who the song is about and I almost skipped it, but didn’t today. Those vocals are soaked with emotion. 
    +1
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,374
    I wasn’t there I just watched the live feed which was amazing. I thought dotc opening was a lost opportunity to have the crowd just explode. But it was ok. Never destination was the best new song for me. Solat was best song of the night I thought. Good show. But again a lost opportunity with no it’s ok tag, no in hiding, no faithful, oceans. Just weird set list. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    I would have left!
    right into the ocean?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,899
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    I would have left!
    right into the ocean?
    You know it!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    if people don't like gigaton, that's totally fine, everyone has different tastes, but what I don't get is thinking they should ignore an album live because it's a year and a half old. 

um, it's their newest one. every other record is older than that one. how does that make a lick of sense?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I liked all 6 they played with 7oC and Quick Escape my favorites.  Would have loved to hear Who Ever Said.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    if people don't like gigaton, that's totally fine, everyone has different tastes, but what I don't get is thinking they should ignore an album live because it's a year and a half old. 

um, it's their newest one. every other record is older than that one. how does that make a lick of sense?
    My only issue is they opened the show with one of the most non sounding pearl
    jam songs in the catalogue.  I m telling you, the crowd was about to explode and then the wind was taken out of the sails.  It really was a let down. Read the room, open with a song a long. 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    mcgruff10 said:

jam songs in the catalogue.  I m telling you, the crowd was about to explode and then the wind was taken out of the sails.  It really was a let down. Read the room, open with a song a long. 
    I completely agree with the point you’re making. I was very selfishly pleased with the decision because I absolutely love DOTC and I thought opening the show with 3 brand new songs was very ballsy, even if not the smartest thing to do from a crowd pleasing perspective. 
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,534
    mcgruff10 said:

It’s interesting just how polarizing that song is.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    mcgruff10 said:

it's not a bad song but it's not THE song that needs to open a show for the first time in three years.  
  • Options
    I’ve never been a fan of opening slower songs, but if there was ever a time where Release would’ve been appropriate, it was last night.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,437
    mcgruff10 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    mcgruff10 said:

it's not a bad song but it's not THE song that needs to open a show for the first time in three years.  
    I'm with mcgruff10 on this one.

I liked the song, and it's a good song, but to Open after 3 years? 
  • Options
    Release confronting DOTC over opening last night….

”You’re not that song, pal. Trust me, you’re not that song.”
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,418
    I was expecting Dance to open 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

haha, I know, you've mentioned it about 15 times all over the boards today. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Hey at least i m consistent with my opinion. ;)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Halts Maul! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,374
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Your also right. I give you credit for going to SHN after global citizen. I couldn’t do it again. And that set. And the ability to watch that front row feed from my living room makes me sure I’ll not festival again. 
  • Options
    I’ve never been a fan of opening slower songs, but if there was ever a time where Release would’ve been appropriate, it was last night.
    I'm a big fan of the slow song to start, but not the 2-3 slow songs that they've been doing more recently.  One slow song and then a jolt into a fast one.  
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    mcgruff10 said:

I agree. Just do Release in front of the three new songs and the set is entirely different. 
  • Options
    Superblood Wolfmoon is a weird song in that I was initially meh about it, but it comes alive in the car and is also smoking hot live.
    I remember feeling the same way when it was released as a single. I liked it, but didn’t love it. Then when I heard it within the context of the album I fell in love. Can’t wait to hear it live.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    The band was excited to open their first show in 3 years with 3 new tracks… I love it. They are still passionate about their work. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Superblood Wolfmoon is a weird song in that I was initially meh about it, but it comes alive in the car and is also smoking hot live.
    I remember feeling the same way when it was released as a single. I liked it, but didn’t love it. Then when I heard it within the context of the album I fell in love. Can’t wait to hear it live.
    I’m a fan of it but every time I hear the opening I think I’m listening to Shame On You by the Indigo Girls. 

• Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Love Gigaton!!!
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    The band was excited to open their first show in 3 years with 3 new tracks… I love it. They are still passionate about their work. 
    excellent point. for all those who claim they are a legacy act.....legacy acts don't play half their new album at a festival. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,418
    Maybe they should have played their Gigatron songs instead
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,644
    igotid88 said:
    Maybe they should have played their Gigatron songs instead

Not a fan of Jeff Bridges' clarinet parts on that.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Dance is a great song, and I enjoyed it a lot. But mcgruff10 is right. I was 100 ft away from the stage, so of course the super fans will enjoy. The crowd behind had no idea and it killed any momentum the show could have started with. The crowd was ready to explode. Ah well! I kind of enjoy that Ed was basically like, “its been 3.5 years, you think you’re getting hits? Fuck you, you’re getting 3 new ones off the bat!”