Comments

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,220
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    If they would allow you to order a poster and sticker sight unseen with your 10c tix, I'd be totally on board. Might end up with an ugly poster, but ugly poster usually equals great show! 
    They did that once. People complained about the artwork, and for whatever reason, preorder posters were never offered again.
    They were also strangely concerned about the secondary market collapsing, for whatever reason. 
    From what we know from Brad Klausen’s post over in the EV merch thread, there is no commission on gig posters and the artist only makes money on their AP sale. So if the secondary market collapses and there is no demand for APs it hurts the artist and they may not want to do another. Just my guess.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,973
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    If they would allow you to order a poster and sticker sight unseen with your 10c tix, I'd be totally on board. Might end up with an ugly poster, but ugly poster usually equals great show! 
    They did that once. People complained about the artwork, and for whatever reason, preorder posters were never offered again.
    They were also strangely concerned about the secondary market collapsing, for whatever reason. 
    From what we know from Brad Klausen’s post over in the EV merch thread, there is no commission on gig posters and the artist only makes money on their AP sale. So if the secondary market collapses and there is no demand for APs it hurts the artist and they may not want to do another. Just my guess.
    That would make sense. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    or, God forbid, they could pay artists for doing work for them that brings in a fair amount of money
  • Options
    or, God forbid, they could pay artists for doing work for them that brings in a fair amount of money
    This also makes sense, and it was surprising to learn that doesn't happen. 

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,577
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    Seriously? That's ridiculous.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,895

Nah, they're getting paid in exposure! Artists love that, right? Hang on... *checks Twitter* ...oh yeah, no, they hate that. Of course, given that PJ posters are almost guaranteed to sell out their print run, maybe it's not quite as bad as "paid in exposure".
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,407
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    Depends if that’s industry standard or not? If PJ is the only one that operates that way, then it’s a bad look. If not, then that’s just how it works. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,164
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    I obviously don't have any life experience to say otherwise, but I have an extremely hard time believing bands don't pay poster artists for their work and time. 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    Depends if that’s industry standard or not? If PJ is the only one that operates that way, then it’s a bad look. If not, then that’s just how it works. 
    It's still ridiculous, maybe more so if that's "just how it works".

• Options
    mattcoz said:
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    It's still ridiculous, maybe more so if that's "just how it works".

I mean I would have to assume if it was truly that ridiculous then artists wouldn’t agree to do it? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023
    I obviously don't have any life experience to say otherwise, but I have an extremely hard time believing bands don't pay poster artists for their work and time. 
    Exactly. I don't know what Klausen said, but I'm guessing "no commission" actually just meant that the artist gets a flat fee for the artwork rather than a percentage per show edition sold.  But you know, this is the internet, so people have to freak out immediately.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023

Reading Klausen's post, it sounds like it is industry standard:

"And to any artists new to the world of gigposters.... you will almost never get paid a commission to make a poster for a band. If you do get paid a commission or fee, expect it to be insultingly low, like $200-300 for weeks of your time and energy. This is why most poster artist figured out a long time ago instead of getting paid $200, why not just have the merchandise company pay for $200-300 worth of more prints they can give to you as your payment that you can sell on your own for what ever price you choose... so say you get 100 posters and charge $90 and sell out... your commission is $9000 instead of $300.... not bad right? And Pearl Jam / Tsurt takes care of posters artists better then most bands / merchandise companies..so don't always expect you will get 100 posters as payment... some companies will give you 25-50."
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,221
    mpedone said:
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023

"And to any artists new to the world of gigposters.... you will almost never get paid a commission to make a poster for a band. If you do get paid a commission or fee, expect it to be insultingly low, like $200-300 for weeks of your time and energy. This is why most poster artist figured out a long time ago instead of getting paid $200, why not just have the merchandise company pay for $200-300 worth of more prints they can give to you as your payment that you can sell on your own for what ever price you choose... so say you get 100 posters and charge $90 and sell out... your commission is $9000 instead of $300.... not bad right? And Pearl Jam / Tsurt takes care of posters artists better then most bands / merchandise companies..so don't always expect you will get 100 posters as payment... some companies will give you 25-50."
    I wish you had posted that earlier. I spent an hour reading that thread this morning in search of that very post.  :D
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    There we go.  Makes perfect sense.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023

I wish you had posted that earlier. I spent an hour reading that thread this morning in search of that very post.  :D

I got lucky - jumped to the end, and someone referenced it as being posted the day before. It's within the past couple of days.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    mpedone said:
    mattcoz said:
    JimmyV said:
    3days said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ Premium Merch Access 

Coming 2023

That helps with context, thanks. As he says, that kind of payment is "insultingly low". I didn't realize that they were doing this in lieu of payment though. I actually always figured that the band would take some cut of these prints, considering their name is on it. That's what I figured was happening with the regular prints too, but apparently not. If the artists get everything from selling their own prints, then that's not as bad.
  • Options
    Bourbon and Beyond looks to be happening:

https://bourbonandbeyond.com/

• Options
    If they are willing to play three nights in a row like they will here (Nashville, B&B, St Louis) then maybe there are more fall shows coming. 

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,618
    Gives me hope for acl.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Interesting. I was kind of thinking they might play Music Midtown in Atlanta. Dates haven’t been announced for 2022, but typically a similar weekend as Bourbon
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 302
    Could see Jack White and KOL at Ohana. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    JimmyV said:
    Bourbon and Beyond looks to be happening:

https://bourbonandbeyond.com/

We are driving from Nashville to St Louis on Saturday, thought about swinging by here, but it's 4+ hours from there to St Louis. I don't think that's happening.
    Post edited by mpedone on

• Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,817

1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    chiefnjk said:
    Could see Jack White and KOL at Ohana. 
    Had the same thought upon seeing this lineup.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    Boston Calling announcement coming at noon tomorrow. Likely their replacement headliner for Foo.

May be a cartoon of text that says ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,642
    edited April 2022
    Coincidence or….. we shall see tomorrow

As (probably) the only huge Oliver Tree fan on this forum, if they play Friday, thats a no budget ticket for me
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,346
    I wonder if any other festival that the Foos were headlining will have PJ as the replacement.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    I wonder if any other festival that the Foos were headlining will have PJ as the replacement.
    It's the million dollar question. They were the featured artist for Mike at his Peak To Sky event in Montana in August. PJ will be back from Europe, figure that one is likely. 

• Options
    UPDATE: That emoji doesn't look like a PJ reference. 

May be an image of footwear and text that says bostoncalling 3m ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW NOON