Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

Good morning, PJ Party people!
    Yeah, sad to see these spikes.
    Vaccinations are not 100% effective but, from everything I've read, the rising cases are due for the most part because there are still many who refuse to be vaccinated.

I am scheduled for my Moderna booster in 11 days.  I'm not looking forward to feeling crappy again (my vaccination #2 was hell- I've never felt that sick before and I've had some doozies) but I'm looking forward to being further vaccinated!
    Considering the effectiveness of the new treatments,  I'm not sure we should be as concerned about cases as before. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

Vaccinations are not 100% effective but, from everything I've read, the rising cases are due for the most part because there are still many who refuse to be vaccinated.

I am scheduled for my Moderna booster in 11 days.  I'm not looking forward to feeling crappy again (my vaccination #2 was hell- I've never felt that sick before and I've had some doozies) but I'm looking forward to being further vaccinated!
    I truly don't understand the hesitancy....and I doubt that I ever will.

I'm glad that you're scheduled for your booster, Brian! I got mine last week and just felt pretty tired for a day or 2 and my arm was sore. MUCH better than the alternative.

Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

Considering the effectiveness of the new treatments,  I'm not sure we should be as concerned about cases as before. 
    I'm counting on it, M!
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

I truly don't understand the hesitancy....and I doubt that I ever will.

I'm glad that you're scheduled for your booster, Brian! I got mine last week and just felt pretty tired for a day or 2 and my arm was sore. MUCH better than the alternative.

Be well, all.
    Thanks mfc!  Yes, a few down days beats forever down days!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-manteca-california-san-francisco-health-b7765df4780b747f5e7e9b78a63a7ec5

California officer dies after missing vaccination deadline

November 9, 2021

“SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A police officer who was placed on leave for missing the city of San Francisco’s deadline to be inoculated has died after being stricken by COVID-19, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Officer Jack Nyce, 46, tested positive on Nov. 2 and died Saturday at a hospital in Manteca, his wife, Melissa Nyce, told the newspaper Monday”

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    A roundup of some interesting  covid info, including discovery of a gene that seems to contribute to higher mortality in some South Asian people and the news that vaccine mandates for municipal employees appear to be working to increase vaccination rates. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    tish said:

I just read the Netherlands are going back into lockdowns.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh, the drama!
  • Options
    This afternoon I went for my usual 35 minute brisk walk.  The last 10 minutes or so were brutal.  I couldn't understand that even though my back has been out and in a lot of pain.  And my back didn't affect my walk yesterday.  And this evening I feel really crappy- low grade fever, fatigue, blah.
    It just dawned on my a few minutes ago that maybe it's because I got the flu shot yesterday and, at the same time, the pneumonia vaccination.  I've never had a reaction to the flu shot, but maybe this time it's different.  I guess I'll know by tomorrow.  Day-yum, I sure hopes it's nothing other than that.  :confused:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    brianlux said:
    This afternoon I went for my usual 35 minute brisk walk.  The last 10 minutes or so were brutal.  I couldn't understand that even though my back has been out and in a lot of pain.  And my back didn't affect my walk yesterday.  And this evening I feel really crappy- low grade fever, fatigue, blah.
    It just dawned on my a few minutes ago that maybe it's because I got the flu shot yesterday and, at the same time, the pneumonia vaccination.  I've never had a reaction to the flu shot, but maybe this time it's different.  I guess I'll know by tomorrow.  Day-yum, I sure hopes it's nothing other than that.  :confused:

prob the new animal house covid....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Or the house animal covid.
    "Annie!"...
    (where is that cat hiding?!)

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

https://youtu.be/pv4V7I4cgMY
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    A roundup of some interesting  covid info, including discovery of a gene that seems to contribute to higher mortality in some South Asian people and the news that vaccine mandates for municipal employees appear to be working to increase vaccination rates. 

I was wondering when they were going to find a link in genetics and why Covid is so much worse for some people.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    brianlux said:
    tish said:

the booster is a half dose...not saying you are free and clear but I didn't notice anything from it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    it can't be this bleak forever.

yeah right.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

yeah right.
    I don't think it should be.  We have a vaccine and we have effective treatments.  It's time to get on with life,  I think. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    after a month in a medically induced coma, a friend of a friend passed away on saturday from covid. i did not know him too well. he was a work friend of my best friend so we had had some social interaction over the last 20 years or so. he was always nice to me.

he was unvaccinated and got covid from his wife, who was vaccinated. she got a minor case and got over it quickly. unfortunately for him he did not get a mild case.

he had childhood cancer that had returned 2 or 3 times into adulthood, and as such, he was advised to get the vaccine asap but was vaccine hesitant. turns out he got covid so badly that he needed a double lung transplant. since he was a cancer survivor he was ineligible for the transplant. i guess from what i have been told the anti rejection medications can kill you if you are a cancer survivor. 

turns out there was a hospital in california that would do the procedure if they could find a match, but by that time he had deteriorated so much that it was feared that the would not survive the procedure, let alone the aftermath. from what i hear the decision was made to let him go on saturday.

such a sad end to a sad story.

please, get vaccinated.
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Got my Moderna booster last Thursday.  Even though it was a half dose, I was miserable for two days after.  The first day was a massive headache, body aches, and a low grade fever.  The second day was body aches, low fever, fatigue, but no headache.  I was feeling quite a bit better that evening.  Today I am just a little sore at the injections site, but fine otherwise.
    My wife didn’t have near as severe side effects, but was sore and a little feverish the day after getting the booster.
    My advise is to not plan anything important for two days after any of the shots, including the booster.  They seem to effect everyone differently, similar to the actual virus.  
    Still rather suffer through the shots than deal with what the real thing did to my brother (severe scaring and hole in his lung).
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    after a month in a medically induced coma, a friend of a friend passed away on saturday from covid. i did not know him too well. he was a work friend of my best friend so we had had some social interaction over the last 20 years or so. he was always nice to me.

he was unvaccinated and got covid from his wife, who was vaccinated. she got a minor case and got over it quickly. unfortunately for him he did not get a mild case.

he had childhood cancer that had returned 2 or 3 times into adulthood, and as such, he was advised to get the vaccine asap but was vaccine hesitant. turns out he got covid so badly that he needed a double lung transplant. since he was a cancer survivor he was ineligible for the transplant. i guess from what i have been told the anti rejection medications can kill you if you are a cancer survivor. 

turns out there was a hospital in california that would do the procedure if they could find a match, but by that time he had deteriorated so much that it was feared that the would not survive the procedure, let alone the aftermath. from what i hear the decision was made to let him go on saturday.

please, get vaccinated.
    how awful...

I've mentioned this before but my wife does medical transcription for a heart group and hears this shit on a daily basis where the doctor advises the patient (most have either had heart surgery or will have it) to get vaccinated and the patient says they don't believe in it, etc.

They believe in seeing their doctor for their heart but not to get advice on a fucking vaccine?  The stupidity is endless and unexplainable.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

please, get vaccinated.
    how awful...

I've mentioned this before but my wife does medical transcription for a heart group and hears this shit on a daily basis where the doctor advises the patient (most have either had heart surgery or will have it) to get vaccinated and the patient says they don't believe in it, etc.

They believe in seeing their doctor for their heart but not to get advice on a fucking vaccine?  The stupidity is endless and unexplainable.
    i can't even imagine the stories the transcriptionists have to hear and then type out. i am sure some of it is pretty sad, while some of it like this just makes you scratch your head.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:

yeah right.
    I don't think it should be.  We have a vaccine and we have effective treatments.  It's time to get on with life,  I think. 
    Definitely time to move on. Let those who choose to be unvaccinated deal with what happens to their personal health.  Make sure to still cover the kids that don't have the say on if they get the vax or not. I'm done paying for other people's stupidity.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    insurance, new year. require vax for same premium. no vax? jacking your shit up and increasing your deductable, out of pocket and max.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    edited November 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    insurance, new year. require vax for same premium. no vax? jacking your shit up and increasing your deductable, out of pocket and max.
    We are doing open enrollment now for 2022 insurance at work, and it wasn't part of it. Of course it is Indiana, so...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Got my Moderna booster last Thursday.  Even though it was a half dose, I was miserable for two days after.  The first day was a massive headache, body aches, and a low grade fever.  The second day was body aches, low fever, fatigue, but no headache.  I was feeling quite a bit better that evening.  Today I am just a little sore at the injections site, but fine otherwise.
    My wife didn’t have near as severe side effects, but was sore and a little feverish the day after getting the booster.
    My advise is to not plan anything important for two days after any of the shots, including the booster.  They seem to effect everyone differently, similar to the actual virus.  
    Still rather suffer through the shots than deal with what the real thing did to my brother (severe scaring and hole in his lung).
    Did you have any reaction to the first two shots?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Did you have any reaction to the first two shots?
    Yep, all about the same actually…I expected the booster to be a lot better, but no such luck :(. Only difference I noticed is that the first two gave me a big round swollen spot on my arm, but the booster didn’t do that…
  • Options
    Driving through town on Main St. today and seeing a crowd of anti-vax yahoos waving flags and "Protect our Freedom" bullshit signs, I'm think maybe I need to track down a copy of this book and read it:

IMG

• Options
    https://youtu.be/fbGug3rczx4
    Please take vitamin d3 this winter.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
     Biden administration will invest billions to expand coronavirus vaccine manufacturing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/11/17/biden-covid-vaccine-manufacturing/

• Options
    So by chance i got a booster  an hour ago. 
     Had x2 AZ now my booster is pfizer. 
    Cant say im not scared but i just did it. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
This discussion has been closed.