Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,481

Does anyone have any good insight into what's going on in Florida with the "Don't say gay" laws, or cancelling certain college lectures, or pulling books from public schools? 

I feel like instances of a state government cancelling speech or banning literature are way more concerning than random op-eds. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,751

Does anyone have any good insight into what's going on in Florida with the "Don't say gay" laws, or cancelling certain college lectures, or pulling books from public schools? 

I feel like instances of a state government cancelling speech or banning literature are way more concerning than random op-eds. 

yes, they are now including all grade levels......

posted a link in the gop thread.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/26/us/digital-blackface-social-media-explainer-blake-cec/index.html

This seems crazy to me...I can't even understand it at all.  I mean, are we seriously just continuing to look for things to get offended about?
    am interested to know what your average black american thinks.....
    not just one writer

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,595

It’s extending to the judiciary and the AG’s office. Don’t like a ruling? Cancel the judge. Think a prosecutor is going after the wrong person or a political connection? Cancel the DA or the prosecutor. Full on authoritarianism. Give it a year or two, it’s going to be grand (just look to Israel to see it playing out).
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    mickeyrat said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/26/us/digital-blackface-social-media-explainer-blake-cec/index.html

This seems crazy to me...I can't even understand it at all.  I mean, are we seriously just continuing to look for things to get offended about?
    not just one writer

Yup. Would be nice 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996

I am truly flabbergasted at this article.

Wow.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

not just one writer

Same.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    brianlux said:
    Parksy said:
    I was sitting with a couple fellas the other day...  both old, both white. 

And they were 'politely' lamenting about how they have been criticized for saying racist things even though they themselves do not believe for a moment that they are racist. 

But they went on to politely complain about how these 'movements' were getting too out of hand and seemingly forced. 

The forced thing I thought was hilarious because it had to do with popular shows going 'woke' and showing homosexuality etc. I was like "forced? change the channel." lol 

So they went on to talk about hiring processes as an example. Companies going out of their way to be inclusive and diverse and hiring minorities.  They said "best person should get the job, no matter what." 

To me... this stuff falls under the category of white people complaining that they no longer control everything in North America. Which .......  they still do in many ways. 

So I looked at them... and I said: "I hear ya...   but .... if things seem unfair to white people nowadays... are you suggesting that you would have preferred being born black?"  They were taken aback and said "Well what do you mean?"  And I repeated.. and I also suggested that in my opinion... no matter what... 2023-2050... if 'wokeness' continues we still as a society will not be on an equal playing field. They again didn't understand what I was talking about. So I referred again to give them the option should they desire to be black instead of white if things were so unfair and awful today because of 'wokeness.'  And so I again tried to explain that if we as white people were to now begin walking the same path as black people for example... considering how unfair it is now... and eventually found ourselves in a situation where the following things were afflicting white people:  Slavery, no access to real estate, no access to education, no access to jobs, no access to democracy.  If we all had to endure that... would we still be sitting here complaining about these trivial matters like a black Disney princess etc.?  

To me...  these little conversations that take place all resemble a 'polite' white supremacy.  If you KNOW how it's been for minorities all these years in a land where life, liberty, and justice for ALL is supposed to ring true, then why on earth would anyone complain about the playing field finally being levelled?  This is why I support CRT and also why I think all these woke companies should honestly start trying a bit harder.  Instead of saying "We're proud to support Black History Month" I would suggest that it would go further if they did more to educate about black history.  Case in point... the two fellas I spoke with had NO CLUE that certain residential properties during the housing boom of the 50s could not by law be sold to black people. I looked at the older white male and said.. "That's you. Now imagine your entire life and your family starting from when you were 15 as a black person."  I said "I understand that being born a white Canadian male... I was born with a substantial head start in life. And so were you two."   <-  That is undeniable and irrefutable. Those who complain about how bad white people have it nowadays really need to STFU. 

I dunno... just my $0.02. 

What about- and I'm just asking because this seems worth considering, and not meaning any of this to be criticizing you, Parksy- Woopie Goldberg who is both old and black who was cancelled and accused of making a racial slur for saying, "The people who still believe that he got, you know, gypped somehow..." 
    I read this statement to my wife and asked her what she thought was "politically incorrect" about it.  She didn't have a clue- and believe me, I cannot imagine anyone considering her to be at all a racist.  Neither one of us had ever had a clue that "gypped" is a racist word.  Now granted, it may well be a word that needs to be better understood and relegated to less common usage, but is this a reason for shaming someone who used it with zero intent toward racism?
    Somethings are just taken to extremes that could be better handled in a more caring, thoughtful manner, instead of so many people seizing every opportunity to be easily offended and lashing out.  Is it any wonder hate is the order of the day?

There are a lot of words that are deemed offensive now that you got away with saying years ago, gypped is one of them.  Mulatto, gay, fag, retarted are off the table now too which they should be.

Listen to some of the older comedians and you cringe now.  Some of that stuff that was commonplace back then is not acceptable language today.

It is interesting and eye opening to learn about what is an offensive word.

Lizzo and Beyonce are two artists I know of whom changed their lyrics because people took offense to it.  Lizzo used the word Spaz, which I also didn't know was offensive.

I didn't know mulatto was off the table.  I always thought it was a term that lent respect to black and white couple who chose to have children.  But I'm open to being educated!

Fag was always off the table for me once I learned it meant something other than "cigarette".  I had a friend in 9th grade who I smoked cigarettes with once in awhile and he sometimes would ask, "Hey Brian, any chance you've got an extra fag?"

Yeah, at some point it becomes incredibly nit picking and I think maybe even counter productive.  People who go out of their way to find others they can shame in some petty way are not much better that bigots. Though a relatively mild form of it, that's just another way of expressing hate.  The world seems full of all kinds of hate today.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

yes, they are now including all grade levels......

posted a link in the gop thread.

heres a new one.....

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    edited March 2023
    I think one of the big differences with what that article in calling out digital blackface is it has nothing to do with the race. Someone made a funny catch phrase and went viral. 
    When I think of Sweet Brown, it reminds me of the double rainbow guy. People quoted him a lot and it was around the same time. Someone says something funny and its recorded and goes viral, people are going to repeat and share it. 
    Can only white people say "bi-winning" since it was made popular by a white guy?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709

Thinking about this some more: "Digital blackface is a practice where White people co-opt online expressions of Black imagery, slang, catchphrases or culture to convey comic relief or express emotions",  to truly avoid doing this, imagine all the words non-blacks would need to omit from our  vocabulary... cool, hip, hep, dig, diss, "bad" meaning "good", "my bad"... the list goes on and on.  How the fuck does one keep track of all that?  I probably blew it just now saying "the fuck".  And not only that, what next- do we need to extricate all words that come from other cultures and races?  No more saying "ciao baby", "adios", "karaoke", "guru", "ballet"? 

If we consider this, we are screwed (probably also a word stolen from god know who):

Loanwords make up 80% of English

What this means is that there is no such thing as pure English. English is a delectable, slow-cooked language of languages. As lexicographer Kory Stamper explains, “English has been borrowing words from other languages since its infancy.” As many as 350 other languages are represented and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!

https://www.dictionary.com/e/borrowed-words/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    I think one of the big differences with what that article in calling out digital blackface is it has nothing to do with the race. Someone made a funny catch phrase and went viral. 
    When I think of Sweet Brown, it reminds me of the double rainbow guy. People quoted him a lot and it was around the same time. Someone says something funny and its recorded and goes viral, people are going to repeat and share it. 
    Can only white people say "bi-winning" since it was made popular by a white guy?
    Hes right You know - Affirmative Morgan Freeman - Meme Generator
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    I guess it’s up to individuals! I myself really never use any perceived words that are attributed to belong to black culture and I’d say I work with at least 60% black coworkers! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I don’t either in general conversation. But there’s a difference between using words associated with a certain group as part of your regular vocabulary and quoting someone and sharing a video.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    This language shit is absurd. I guess the next step is white people can’t laugh at a black comedian since he might be making fun of other black people, ergo whites are making fun of blacks. 

But then we’ll find even reasonable folks defending this after the nutjob right start proclaiming that “black people are coming for 1A”. And the political chasm gets wider, even with most people falling into it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    edited April 2023
    Chris Rock saying “you and me” to Mr. Pelosi about the will smith slap.  I can only imagine the backlash if it was a republican.  Well on second thought a republican probably wouldn’t have been in his audience.  By the way CR is hysterical.  Sometimes the truth is the funniest material.  

IMO I don’t think most black folks would care if we laughed at black jokes, it’s just most white folks don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.  

Watch “you people” with Jonah Hill & Julia Louis Dreyfus.  She’s so good at the part it will make you cringe just watching it.  
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t either in general conversation. But there’s a difference between using words associated with a certain group as part of your regular vocabulary and quoting someone and sharing a video.
    Hey I read where you said something about your four year old so I wanted to apologize about my comment that you don’t get it about school shootings because first, I shouldn’t have said it at all but secondly you do have a child.  You should have crushed me right then.  I’m sorry. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Hey I read where you said something about your four year old so I wanted to apologize about my comment that you don’t get it about school shootings because first, I shouldn’t have said it at all but secondly you do have a child.  You should have crushed me right then.  I’m sorry. 
    Thanks. I had already forgotten about that until you mentioned it. I know we usually don’t see eye to eye, but I assume most of us here are good people. So I’d rather not respond, no need to crush anybody.
  • Options
    Chris Rock saying “you and me” to Mr. Pelosi about the will smith slap.  I can only imagine the backlash if it was a republican.  Well on second thought a republican probably wouldn’t have been in his audience.  By the way CR is hysterical.  Sometimes the truth is the funniest material.  

IMO I don’t think most black folks would care if we laughed at black jokes, it’s just most white folks don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.  

Watch “you people” with Jonah Hill & Julia Louis Dreyfus.  She’s so good at the part it will make you cringe just watching it.  
    You People was cute to a point.  When they laid on the thick stereo types is where they lost me.  I really hope people aren’t that inept at understanding other races.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    i hear they are canceling bud light now.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

• Options
    So, maga's cancelling bud light because they're showing support for the gay community. 

To emphasize this, Kid Rock filmed a video of himself shooting up cases of bud light. 

Cool. 
  • Options
    So, maga's cancelling bud light because they're showing support for the gay community. 

To emphasize this, Kid Rock filmed a video of himself shooting up cases of bud light. 

Cool. 

had no problem taking their money when he was a part of the bud  light concert series last year,.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    kid rock another POS human dirt bag comes to mind when I see his crooked face! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Cool. 

had no problem taking their money when he was a part of the bud  light concert series last year,.
    'if you support the gay community, we're going to shoot you up'

Good stuff. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,595

That hat looks like a bandwagon type of fan. Must have slow ticket sales and needs attention. SAD. Following KidPebble on twatter? SADDER!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    edited April 2023
    Yeah we'll see if he bans bud light from his Nashville bar. He'll still sell those $9 bottles all fucking day

Those morons said they wouldn't watch football anymore a few years back....dumbasses
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Since when is Kid Rock anti gay?  Jeezus man...  What got into him?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221

Or who got into him?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Or who got into him?
    lol,