Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    Where does the cancelling stop?  Who is immune to it?  Are you?  I know I'm not.  Fuck it, let's cancel everyone!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    The article posted was from May....but Seagal effectively cancelled himself long ago by just being a giant Douchelord.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,485
    The article posted was from May....but Seagal effectively cancelled himself long ago by just being a giant Douchelord.

& the article from May is about a story that broke in 2017... & allegations made by several women.

I don't know how one reads this and walks away from it concerned for Seagal's future, least of all in August of 2021, but that's just me. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761

& the article from May is about a story that broke in 2017... & allegations made by several women.

I don't know how one reads this and walks away from it concerned for Seagal's future, least of all in August of 2021, but that's just me. 

Seems to be doing just fine as Putins good friend and newer Russian citizen....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah, he does just fine making an outcast of himself, all alone.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    my bad. I was on the cbc website and saw the article on the sidebar, clicked on it, not realizing it was that old. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat said:

Who didn’t have a laugh at his reality tv show as a cop? Wish I could remember the comedian who did a bit on that/him. It was perfect. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2021
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:

Who didn’t have a laugh at his reality tv show as a cop? Wish I could remember the comedian who did a bit on that/him. It was perfect. 
    Will Sasso did a good Seagal.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    FiveBelow said:
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:

Will Sasso did a good Seagal.
    The great Mad TV days.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    can we cancel machine gun kelly?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    Who is that?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha!

I have a laundry list of cancellation nominees. I’m takin’ names!
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Not a really big story.. but in recent news the Toronto Maple Leafs hired a fellow named Dusty Imoo and then within hours fired him based on someone digging up tweets that showed he was anti-black, pro trump, pro Jan 6, anti-trans. 

This stuff fascinates me. I generally loathe the term 'Cancel Culture' because I honestly think it gets used more for defending the indefensible but with that said I think everything should be based on the totality of the circumstances, not just lumped into "someone else got cancelled."

Lots of opinions are being tossed around about this POS Dusty Imoo and how he should be 'entitled to his own opinion' about things. 

For those who hate on 'Cancel Culture' and frown upon people being 'Cancelled' or fired because of their views or what they've done... I will suggest that the idea that people are entitled to their own opinions is correct.  And if you're the kind of person who also firmly believes that folks should be entitled to their own opinion and you also rally against 'Cancel Culture' then why is the organization's opinion not considered? The owner of a company. The shareholders. The customers.  

Would I be wrong in suggesting that there is a sense of false entitlement with those who feel they can be treated equally no matter what their views are? 

Someone earlier asked "when will the cancelling stop?" Call me crazy, but I think it'll slow down or stop entirely when people stop being pieces of garbage and stop supporting pieces of garbage. Do you blame the company for taking out the garbage? Or do you blame the garbage for choosing to be garbage? And yes, it's a choice. People choose what to tweet, what to like, what to express, and who to associate with. At the core of those questions is how do you define garbage? 

Well let's start with what should.... and I used that term loosely here... should be well understood. 

Racism is garbage. Anti-LGBTQ is garbage. White supremacy is garbage. Sexism is garbage. Sexual harassment is garbage. Bigotry is garbage. 

"How come nobody wants me around?" Whined the smelly piece of garbage.

Figure it out. And stop blaming people for not wanting garbage around. It's an easy concept. 

For the 'everyone makes mistakes' crowd.. I agree.  But to me there is a difference between someone who lets out a fart, takes responsibility for it and apologizes to the people who had to smell it and someone who craps their pants all day and expects people to just tolerate it. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    I approve of this rant.  Take out the trash.  If you are a garbage person, and provide clear proof of this ....gtfo.  bye.  Circle the drain on your way out of town.  There is a difference between a questionable stance or opinion....or a mistake/lapse of judgement, and in being a garbage person.
    This should never stop.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,485
    Fuckin A 
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Not a really big story.. but in recent news the Toronto Maple Leafs hired a fellow named Dusty Imoo and then within hours fired him based on someone digging up tweets that showed he was anti-black, pro trump, pro Jan 6, anti-trans. 

This stuff fascinates me. I generally loathe the term 'Cancel Culture' because I honestly think it gets used more for defending the indefensible but with that said I think everything should be based on the totality of the circumstances, not just lumped into "someone else got cancelled."

Lots of opinions are being tossed around about this POS Dusty Imoo and how he should be 'entitled to his own opinion' about things. 

For those who hate on 'Cancel Culture' and frown upon people being 'Cancelled' or fired because of their views or what they've done... I will suggest that the idea that people are entitled to their own opinions is correct.  And if you're the kind of person who also firmly believes that folks should be entitled to their own opinion and you also rally against 'Cancel Culture' then why is the organization's opinion not considered? The owner of a company. The shareholders. The customers.  

Would I be wrong in suggesting that there is a sense of false entitlement with those who feel they can be treated equally no matter what their views are? 

Someone earlier asked "when will the cancelling stop?" Call me crazy, but I think it'll slow down or stop entirely when people stop being pieces of garbage and stop supporting pieces of garbage. Do you blame the company for taking out the garbage? Or do you blame the garbage for choosing to be garbage? And yes, it's a choice. People choose what to tweet, what to like, what to express, and who to associate with. At the core of those questions is how do you define garbage? 

Well let's start with what should.... and I used that term loosely here... should be well understood. 

Racism is garbage. Anti-LGBTQ is garbage. White supremacy is garbage. Sexism is garbage. Sexual harassment is garbage. Bigotry is garbage. 

Figure it out. And stop blaming people for not wanting garbage around. It's an easy concept. 

For the 'everyone makes mistakes' crowd.. I agree.  But to me there is a difference between someone who lets out a fart, takes responsibility for it and apologizes to the people who had to smell it and someone who craps their pants all day and expects people to just tolerate it. 
    I think part of the criticism, as I understand it, is that it's kind of a false morality; these companies don't really give two shits about what a person does in their private life, but once it's out in the world, it's a negative association, and they have no choice but to bow to "the woke mob" and react accordingly. Are we really to believe the Maple Leafs didn't vet this guy, didn't go through his social media? That's pretty stupid if they didn't. 

Either way, I don't really care if someone like that loses their privilege because of this. it's how society is evolving; either the individuals will correct their behaviour or they'll just start suppressing it and not announcing their garbage-ness online. an electronic KKK hood, if you will. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    Parksy said:

I think part of the criticism, as I understand it, is that it's kind of a false morality; these companies don't really give two shits about what a person does in their private life, but once it's out in the world, it's a negative association, and they have no choice but to bow to "the woke mob" and react accordingly. Are we really to believe the Maple Leafs didn't vet this guy, didn't go through his social media? That's pretty stupid if they didn't. 

Either way, I don't really care if someone like that loses their privilege because of this. it's how society is evolving; either the individuals will correct their behaviour or they'll just start suppressing it and not announcing their garbage-ness online. an electronic KKK hood, if you will. 
    How far back does it matter though?  People allowed to learn and change?  That's my only concern.  Some are obviously just a case of people getting what they deserve.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Parksy said:

How far back does it matter though?  People allowed to learn and change?  That's my only concern.  Some are obviously just a case of people getting what they deserve.  
    it's obviously subjective, and there's not going to be a "we draw the line at year XXXX" type of scenario. I think it depends on the offence and if it's repeated or a one off mistake, and also how the person responds to the criticism. 

to be honest, I actually like how Kevin Hart handled it. And I'm not even a fan of his. But the Oscars bowed to the pressure of his homophobic slur, he said "I apologized a long time ago for this, I don't need to keep apologizing for the same thing over and over". he basically told the oscars to go fuck themselves. and he's fine. 

I was just going to ask about something similar. I was scrolling twitter, and came across a video of a guy harassing an elderly lady on a subway to "shut up" and "I respect freedom" and chanting "1776" (ironically, he was wearing a shirt with a British flag on it LOL). Now, the video starts at his harassing, not at whatever she did. My guess is, she told him to put on a mask, and he freaked out. Then someone posted the video with the usual "twitter, do your thing". well, they did, and posted his personal information for all to see. in all likelihood this guy will lose his job because he was a dick in his personal life. do I agree with that? not necessarily. I mean, who wants their company associated with this type of person, but man, you are an asshole once and your entire life gets thrown upside down?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    or take Trudeau for example. the whole blackface thing a certain someone can't let go of. the pictures came out, he apologized, said he didn't know it was bad (I believe him, neither did I, not knowing the history behind it), and we all moved on. well, most of us moved on. 

I have no issue with outing someone for something, it sometimes starts a bigger, necessary conversation, and we all learn from it. but if their life gets ruined, not a big fan. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canadian election…time to cancel Mr blackface and the misogynist…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Dude has talent.  Not a fan?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Another one bites the dust.....

Mike Richards, who was tapped to be the new host of Jeopardy, has stepped down after being EXPOSED for making sexist remarks on a comedy podcast in 2014...  

Mike Richards Out as 'Jeopardy!' Host - Variety

"In the podcast, Richards had asked his female assistant and his female co-host whether they had ever taken nude photos, or in his words, “booby pictures.” In another episode, he called his co-host a “booth ho.”"

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Mike Richards, who was tapped to be the new host of Jeopardy, has stepped down after being EXPOSED for making sexist remarks on a comedy podcast in 2014...  

"In the podcast, Richards had asked his female assistant and his female co-host whether they had ever taken nude photos, or in his words, “booby pictures.” In another episode, he called his co-host a “booth ho.”"

That's it? that's why this guy is out? unreal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241

That's what we know. Called his co-host a booth ho is pretty slimy. Not the kind of person Jeopardy wants taking over for the great Alex Trebek. This guy sounds like a douche.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

He was trying to be funny like a comedian would.  Being edgy.

Oh well.  You can't do anything anymore.

Imagine having to go back 8 years ago to find something and have that "A-Ha" moment.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

That's what we know. Called his co-host a booth ho is pretty slimy. Not the kind of person Jeopardy wants taking over for the great Alex Trebek. This guy sounds like a douche.
    i don't even know what a booth ho means. It just sounded to me like he was joking around with someone he knows. maybe i'm wrong. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think the fans were all pissed anyway and didn't like the announcement.  This gives them am easy out to kick him to the curb.

• Options
    I think the fans were all pissed anyway and didn't like the announcement.  This gives them am easy out to kick him to the curb.

I thought he and Jennings did great.

I liked Bill Whitaker, Rodgers and Robin Roberts too.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

I thought he and Jennings did great.

I liked Bill Whitaker, Rodgers and Robin Roberts too.
    I thought Jennings was the best, and really, he's the right man for the job. Richards was good to but oh well. I also liked Bill Whitaker, but wasn't impressed at all by Aaron Rodgers (no matter how much the sports media was) and I actually thought Robin Roberts was pretty bad. 

The girl that played Blossom was good too. She has been tapped to host special events (Tournament of champions, etc.) but who knows if that will change with Richards out. 

Here's the article that pretty much brought him down. F Me In the Brain is right to say there was a backlash. It seems as if he pretty much chose himself for the job (as he is the executive producer). I don't give a shit about Richards one way or another, but the idea that you can be pressured into stepping down from something for stuff you said years ago is getting pretty tiring. 

Mike Richards’s Rise to ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Sparks Questions About Past - The Ringer
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com