Options

No Kill, Lab Grown Meat. Will you eat it?

SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
edited December 2020 in A Moving Train
Singapore approves high-quality meat for safe human consumption created directly from animal cells, grown in bioreactors. 

Will you include this in your diet when it is approved and sold locally?

No Kill, Lab Grown Meat. Will you eat it? 27 votes

Yes.
25%
gimmesometruth27bootlegger10Spunkiestatic111rgambsoftenreadingConorKavanagh 7 votes
Yes, and I am a non-meat eater.
0%
F@ck no.
44%
hedoniststuckinlinelastexitlondoniOnlyownMymindPJPOWERjwhjr17what dreamsBLACK35nicknyr15njnancyHughFreakingDillonMeltdown99 12 votes
No, and I am a non-meat eater.
14%
Spiritual_ChaosBentleyspopSmellyman1ThoughtKnown 4 votes
Other?
14%
MayDay10MalrothOnWis97Glorified KC 4 votes
Post edited by Spunkie on

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    F@ck no.
    I want me meat full of hormones and steroids and raised on a farm...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    No. Just like I won't go into some VR "experience your first murder"-simulation like in that movie Strange Days. If I remember that movie correctly.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited December 2020
    F@ck no.
    gross. 

mind you, our current way of farming is also gross. but lab grown meat just screams cancer (or a second head) to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Other?
    I'm open to the idea, but would need to learn more about it.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Other?
    I agree with this.  

This has immense potential for the world.  If it is 100% safe and authentic, why not?  

Imagine if we grew up consuming meat this way and they introduced the current mass farming/slaughter/packing situation for the first time?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    F@ck no.
    MayDay10 said:
    I agree with this.  

This has immense potential for the world.  If it is 100% safe and authentic, why not?  

Imagine if we grew up consuming meat this way and they introduced the current mass farming/slaughter/packing situation for the first time?
    haha, true enough. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Other?
    MayDay10 said:
    I agree with this.  

Yeah, I'm not a vegetarian, but do enjoy the plant-based alternatives.  It may be if you're not down with the plant-based "red meat" that it would be harder to give this alternative a chance.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

Haha!  I saw "Soylent Green" in a drive in theater when it came out and has consumed a fair amount of another kind of green with the friends I was with while watching it.  I'm pretty sure I was a bit freaked out! 

Even though the films main scenario is a bit far fetched, I still see two ideas it present way back in the early 70's as quite plausible and foretelling.  On is the idea of using euthanasia of elderly people as a way to deal with over population and dwindling resources.  The prof I worked with in Human Services at our local college highly agrees.   The other is that great scene with Edward G. Robinson where he and a few others older folks were talking about how the oceans were polluted to the point of dying.  I still see this as the Achilles Heal of humans chances for survival.  If the oceans become too polluted, much of life on earth- especially large mammals including humans-  will die off for many, many years, probably centuries, maybe forever. The scene was revelatory and nearly prophesying.

As for lab meat, I have to think about this one.  My immediate response is to click "F@ck no".  I'll  think it over.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Yes.
    I wish there was a “Yes, with qualifications” option, but there isn’t so I’ll go with Yes instead of Other. 

My answer is yes, provided I’m satisfied with the data (my answer to most things). There are so many meat products I miss that I don’t eat anymore, for ethical and environmental reasons. If I can be satisfied that this is being done in a way that doesn’t cause more environmental problems than it solves, and that produces a product at least as safe as meat from animals (which is also not guaranteed to be safe) then I’m happy to give it a try. Please, please give me bacon that I don’t have to feel guilty about!

I also read a lot of science fiction and this idea is so commonplace that honestly, I can hardly believe that we don’t already have cultured meat. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    edited December 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    I agree with this.  

made in a lab and you suggest authenticity?

arent the makers of cultured pearls and diamonds required to disclose? they are both pearls and diamonds but authentic? if by authentic you mean natural .
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    F@ck no.
    I come from a family of cattle ranchers, so no.
  • Options
    Yes.
    PJPOWER said:
    I come from a family of cattle ranchers, so no.
    Competition?
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Other?
    I'd taste, then decide.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Other?

Same.  Put it in front of me right now and there's no way.  But never say never...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Other?
    mickeyrat said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I agree with this.  

made in a lab and you suggest authenticity?

arent the makers of cultured pearls and diamonds required to disclose? they are both pearls and diamonds but authentic? if by authentic you mean natural .
    By authentic, I mean is it the exact same genetic/cellular structure, nutritional content, taste, etc than a regular chicken breast, ground beef, brisket, etc?  

Or is it all sorts of artificial material packed in there?

Or is it just substitute crap that resembles that awful smelly thing that my wife pulls out of the microwave for herself that is supposed to emulate some sort of chicken patty?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    F@ck no.
    I wish there was a “Yes, with qualifications” option, but there isn’t so I’ll go with Yes instead of Other. 

My answer is yes, provided I’m satisfied with the data (my answer to most things). There are so many meat products I miss that I don’t eat anymore, for ethical and environmental reasons. If I can be satisfied that this is being done in a way that doesn’t cause more environmental problems than it solves, and that produces a product at least as safe as meat from animals (which is also not guaranteed to be safe) then I’m happy to give it a try. Please, please give me bacon that I don’t have to feel guilty about!

I also read a lot of science fiction and this idea is so commonplace that honestly, I can hardly believe that we don’t already have cultured meat. 
    Cultured meat makes me think of those who think they’re above the fray :lol:

Your approach is a common sense one, upon further reflection. I guess I’m somewhere between you and Mal.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I would, but I don't wanna remember nothing. Nothing.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    Yes.
    i'd try it. 

i eat a lot of meat and the older i get the worse i feel about it. would be interested in an alternative and would just get my protein through shakes or something.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I'd be all over this if it was somehow lower in cholesterol.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Yes.
    i wonder if this will have a hard time getting approved in the US. farm lobby may have something to say about it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    F@ck no.
    gimmesometruth27 said:
    i'd try it. 

i eat a lot of meat and the older i get the worse i feel about it. would be interested in an alternative and would just get my protein through shakes or something.
    I don’t eat a LOT of meat (the red kind), but sometimes I literally crave it. Something primal, perhaps?

I ingest a fair amount of protein, but for me, there’s such a huge difference between my morning smoothie, vs. a beautiful bite (or three) of a nice, medium-rare steak. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
    Yes.
    eddiec said:
    I would, but I don't wanna remember nothing. Nothing.

Hahaha, ignorance is bliss. Might I recommend some ketamine? You'll see dragons after 3 or 4...
  • Options
    Yes.
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'd be all over this if it was somehow lower in cholesterol.   
    Good question.  Is the goal to replicate meat, or is the goal to make it .... better. Healthier? Tastier? Who knows how we might define better. 

I’m guessing that the goal of these first companies is to make it as similar as possible, but things could really change over time. 
  • Options
    Yes.
    i wonder if this will have a hard time getting approved in the US. farm lobby may have something to say about it.
    They already lobby hard against descriptors that suggest a resemblance to meat, so they’ll definitely try to prevent this. 
  • Options
    Yes.
    hedonist said:

Your approach is a common sense one, upon further reflection. I guess I’m somewhere between you and Mal.

You got your commoner meat for the chavs, you know, and then you got your posh meat 
  • Options
    Yes.
    hedonist said:
    gimmesometruth27 said:
    i'd try it. 

I don’t eat a LOT of meat (the red kind), but sometimes I literally crave it. Something primal, perhaps?

I ingest a fair amount of protein, but for me, there’s such a huge difference between my morning smoothie, vs. a beautiful bite (or three) of a nice, medium-rare steak. 
    this is true. the shakes just aren't the same. i went a long time trying to limit red meat and focus on chicken and fish, but there is nothing like a medium rare steak. maybe they can replicate it with this?

would probably be uber expensive.

i do think it is a primal thing though. 

• Options
    hedonist said:

You got your commoner meat for the chavs, you know, and then you got your posh meat 
    Posh Meat? Sounds like a member of the Meat Gurls.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Yes.
    hedonist said:

“Scary Meat” - this whole thing, for pjpower
    ”Ginger Meat” - lab steak, rare and marinated
    ”Sporty Meat” - vat franks with mustard and sauerkraut 
    ”Baby Meat” - the chicken nuggets obviously 

• Options
    F@ck no.
    hedonist said:

“Scary Meat” - this whole thing, for pjpower
    ”Ginger Meat” - lab steak, rare and marinated
    ”Sporty Meat” - vat franks with mustard and sauerkraut 
    ”Baby Meat” - the chicken nuggets obviously 

:lol: