ED signed and personalized Ukulele book story

densandensan Posts: 563
edited November 2020 in Lost Dogs
Came to my senses 

Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
Post edited by densan on

Comments

• If only my name was Dennis.
    Good luck OP!
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    Very kind. ty
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Oh man thats awesome.  Whats the story on that one??
    You know me well. There is a story. Bare with me. Will share. For what it is worth, Ed is one hell of a person. It makes it even sweeter when you meet someone like him and they do not disappoint. You walk away feeling inspired and justified. It is an affirmation that everything felt is real. 
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    Awesome Dennis - can't wait for the story.  
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    don't do it ! 
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Priceless... In 2011 I rode my razor scooter all over Toronto after pj show with my ev book and sharpie. Never found ed but had fun looking. Got Danny Clinch to sign it a few years ago. A small treasure for me. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Oh man don't sell this op!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 683
    Don’t do it Dennis! 
    edited November 2020
    You guys are appreciated, and your advice is solid. hmmm. Me and my thoughts below
    Not Sure What To Do GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Post edited by densan on
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Agree with others here.  Hold onto it.  It’s unique and awesome.  =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Eddie Vedder 2012 Postcard Series  Graphic print poster Gig posters  design Postcard design

Sorry for the long post. Won't happen again. 

Here is the story of the book. Went to see Ed in 2012 @ Bass Hall in Austin 11/9, 11/11/, and in San Antonio 11/13/2012. The dates were make up dates. My wife and I went to the first show on Friday night awesome outstanding show. on the 11th I woke up with the attitude of I have a mission, and it is going to happen. 
    My mission was to get my father's WW2 USMC issued typewriter to Ed. The word machine was part of my dad. His thoughts and soul were pounded into those keyboards since the 1940's. I lost my dad to cancer a bit before the shows. I wanted to keep his spirit alive. Ed was the only person I could think of in the world that would appreciate and possible use my dad's machine. I imagined Ed typing on it just like my dad. What an honor that would be. 
    Got to the venue super early and met up with someone from the board. He was very kind. There were two entrances, so we split up, and traded cell numbers. I felt and looked like the biggest loser walking around with an enormous old typewriter. I kept thinking what in the hell and I am doing? It was for dad. My bud called me, and Ed was coming in the other side. Ugh! I ran across the venue with a 50 lb. machine. I looked like Homer running. It was too much weight. I started getting weak, and I ate it on the pavement. I used my fingers to cushion the machine, so my hands took the brunt of the cement. I get to the other side, and Ed is just going in. His Bodyguard was still outside. I walked up to him, and he said what is that? I said my dad's typewriter, and I would like for Ed to have it. I wrote a note to Ed letting him know the history. His bodyguard asked me if I had gotten in a fight? I said no, I fell running with the typewriter. Got a bit red. I asked about signing my Into the Wild Vinyl, and he said he would come back and get it. They let me in the lobby, and we were talking when my wife asked if I heard that? It was the typewriter somewhere in the building being typed on fast. The stage manager told me it would be up on stage that night with Ed. He was gracious enough to sign the vinyl. At the show that night when Ed came out for the 1st encore he started talking about my dad and the typewriter. He called me up on stage. My wife had to tell me to stand up, and then she is like go dude, go. I could not move. Went up met Ed asked him to please use it, and he said he would. He said some stuff to me, but I have no idea what he said. It was like Pink Floyd. I did not know what the hell was going on, but it was one of the best moments in life ever! Here is a YouTube clip that shows my dad's typewriter on stage with Ed. He brought Jimmy Flemion of the Frogs on stage to sing. They gave Jimmy's wife the OK to post the video. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Mx7x6GiME

If anyone knows of a video of that show, I would love a copy. I just want the part where I go on stage with Ed. I have the audio. Please PM me. 

The book. I went to San Antonio and after the show I thought it would be awesome to have my book signed. It got to 2am, and most people had left. This nice lady came out and she was putting stuff in the bus. I introduced myself, and asked if she could please take my book to Ed. I told her it was 2am, and I am older. Soo tired. I asked her to Tell Ed that I need to go home and go to bed. 10 minutes later Ed walks out with her. Shakes my hand looks me in the eye and said Dennis I will never forget you. That is the stuff that makes life LIFE. 

Here is a pic of the vinyl.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    densan said:
    Eddie Vedder 2012 Postcard Series  Graphic print poster Gig posters  design Postcard design

Here is the story of the book. Went to see Ed in 2012 @ Bass Hall in Austin 11/9, 11/11/, and in San Antonio 11/13/2012. The dates were make up dates. My wife and I went to the first show on Friday night awesome outstanding show. on the 11th I woke up with the attitude of I have a mission, and it is going to happen. 
    My mission was to get my father's WW2 USMC issued typewriter to Ed. The word machine was part of my dad. His thoughts and soul were pounded into those keyboards since the 1940's. I lost my dad to cancer a bit before the shows. I wanted to keep his spirit alive. Ed was the only person I could think of in the world that would appreciate and possible use my dad's machine. I imagined Ed typing on it just like my dad. What an honor that would be. 
    Got to the venue super early and met up with someone from the board. He was very kind. There were two entrances, so we split up, and traded cell numbers. I felt and looked like the biggest loser walking around with an enormous old typewriter. I kept thinking what in the hell and I am doing? It was for dad. My bud called me, and Ed was coming in the other side. Ugh! I ran across the venue with a 50 lb. machine. I looked like Homer running. It was too much weight. I started getting weak, and I ate it on the pavement. I used my fingers to cushion the machine, so my hands took the brunt of the cement. I get to the other side, and Ed is just going in. His Bodyguard was still outside. I walked up to him, and he said what is that? I said my dad's typewriter, and I would like for Ed to have it. I wrote a note to Ed letting him know the history. His bodyguard asked me if I had gotten in a fight? I said no, I fell running with the typewriter. Got a bit red. I asked about signing my Into the Wild Vinyl, and he said he would come back and get it. They let me in the lobby, and we were talking when my wife asked if I heard that? It was the typewriter somewhere in the building being typed on fast. The stage manager told me it would be up on stage that night with Ed. He was gracious enough to sign the vinyl. At the show that night when Ed came out for the 1st encore he started talking about my dad and the typewriter. He called me up on stage. My wife had to tell me to stand up, and then she is like go dude, go. I could not move. Went up met Ed asked him to please use it, and he said he would. He said some stuff to me, but I have no idea what he said. It was like Pink Floyd. I did not know what the hell was going on, but it was one of the best moments in life ever! Here is a YouTube clip that shows my dad's typewriter on stage with Ed. He brought Jimmy Flemion of the Frogs on stage to sing. They gave Jimmy's wife the OK to post the video. 

If anyone knows of a video of that show, I would love a copy. I just want the part where I go on stage with Ed. I have the audio. Please PM me. 

The book. I went to San Antonio and after the show I thought it would be awesome to have my book signed. It got to 2am, and most people had left. This nice lady came out and she was putting stuff in the bus. I introduced myself, and asked if she could please take my book to Ed. I told her it was 2am, and I am older. Soo tired. I asked her to Tell Ed that I need to go home and go to bed. 10 minutes later Ed walks out with her. Shakes my hand looks me in the eye and said Dennis I will never forget you. That is the stuff that makes life LIFE. 

holy hell what an amazing story. i'm in awe. i guess i can see why you'd be ok with selling the book. the vinyl is the real treasure. but still, if you can, keep both. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    Unreal!  Thanks for sharing an amazing story.  =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,695
    densan said:

Wow. I almost cried reading this. What a special experience. You never know what cool things may have been written on that typewriter since you gave it to him. Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Dennis, that’s probably the best meeting Ed story I've ever read. 
    I have a pretty good meeting Ed story that involves both of us being at a small party in John Entwistle's hotel suite in NYC after the 1996 MSG Quadrophenia shows. The party ended at 7:00am with John Entwistle passed out under the table. I had several long conversations with Ed throughout the night. It's a really long story how I got invited to that party, and someday I will write it out. I also briefly met Pete Townshend that night. Still one of the best nights of my life. But not nearly as sentimental as Dennis' story.

• TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    Holy shit!  That made my day - what a freaking amazing story!  
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Soooo cool. What a fantastic way to honor your Dad. Love the part where you fell...epic save!! Glad it had a supreme ending. Excellent. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    This was by far the best "meeting Ed" story I've read here.  Absolutely priceless.  Please don't sell anything from that night.  What an experience.  Thanks for sharing.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Hopefully you reconsider and decide to keep the book. It's an amazing piece of an amazing story.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • JG7927JG7927 Posts: 103
    Hey Dennis such an awesome story, thank you for sharing....I remember that show well. Please PM me if you don't have the show poster, I would love to gift that to you. 
  • GlowGirl said:
    I have a pretty good meeting Ed story that involves both of us being at a small party in John Entwistle's hotel suite in NYC after the 1996 MSG Quadrophenia shows. The party ended at 7:00am with John Entwistle passed out under the table. I had several long conversations with Ed throughout the night. It's a really long story how I got invited to that party, and someday I will write it out. I also briefly met Pete Townshend that night. Still one of the best nights of my life. But not nearly as sentimental as Dennis' story.

Wait, you partied with Ed and The Ox?  
  • GlowGirl said:

Wait, you partied with Ed and The Ox?  
    Legend status
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited November 2020
    JG7927 said:
    Hey Dennis such an awesome story, thank you for sharing....I remember that show well. Please PM me if you don't have the show poster, I would love to gift that to you. 
    That is extremely kind. I have all 3 show posters. Thank you.

I was going to keep this part to myself because it is kind of emotional for me, but I now realize it is better to tell this final part because it shows what kind of person Ed is.
    The typing I heard was Ed typing the letter below. Ed used my dad's typewriter to type out "Man of the Hour" for me. Ed gave it to me when he called me on stage. I lost it that night after we got home. I was like a sprinkler. I love my dad, so I did it for him! 

Post edited by densan on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Jeebus.  If you don't really need the money I would reconsider selling.  Hell, I'll give you some money toward keeping it if you really need the money badly.
    Everything about that story is great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    densan said:
    JG7927 said:
    That is extremely kind. I have all 3 show posters. Thank you.

I was going to keep this part to myself because it is kind of emotional for me, but I now realize it is better to tell this final part because it shows what kind of person Ed is.
    The typing I heard was Ed typing the letter below. Ed used my dad's typewriter to type out "Man of the Hour" for me. Ed gave it to me when he called me on stage. I lost it that night after we got home. I was like a sprinkler. I love my dad, so I did it for him! 

Wow. That is incredible. So special. What a great gift to honor your dad. I agree with everyone here - don’t sell if you don’t have to. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Jeebus.  If you don't really need the money I would reconsider selling.  Hell, I'll give you some money toward keeping it if you really need the money badly.
    +1. This story is incredible. 
    Brought my wife in to see this. I am keeping it. F Me in the Brain, if you ever need anything I am your go to. You are awesome as well the others here. Thanks guys