• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,079
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Because no president has ever said no and gone back on it?
    Because he could have already pardoned him if he wanted to. 
    Wouldnt he have to be convicted or the plea finalized first? Nothing to pardon him for yet.

I don’t think Joe would pardon Hunter. But him saying he won’t means nothing. I only think he won’t because what’s the point, he wasn’t facing any jail? It’s not worth the bad publicity and probably cost the election.
    Imagine Hunter pleading guilty, serving no jail time, then his dad pardons him for something he admitted doing. He basically handed the GOP the election if he does that. And all for nothing if he doesn’t get jail time anyway. So yeah, he’s not going to pardon Hunter.

If he ends up getting the max sentences and jail time, then I wouldn’t be surprised. But that’s not going to happen so he’s not going to get pardoned.
    Why? Beyond the fact that it’s his son is there any reason you don’t extend him the benefit of the doubt? 

You don’t actually believe the ‘Biden crime family’ narrative spun by confirmed liars like Giuliani & trump, do you? 
    No. But let’s say they don’t reach a new deal and they decide to charge him with tax evasion instead. And he gets 5 years for each count and ends up serving 10 years for tax evasion? You don’t think Biden would pardon him then? He absolutely would and issue a statement that his son was wrongfully charged and convicted in order to seay the election.

But that wouldn’t happen. He’s not going to serve any jail time so there’s no point in a pardon.

i believe Biden when he said he won’t pardon his son. Not because I actually believe him, but because there will never be a reason to. Like I said before, it would be handing the election to the GOP if he pardoned his son for a crime he plead guilty to and isn’t even serving any time over. And he’d be doing to for almost no personal gain. So of course he’s not going to pardon himZ
    Why would he get 5 years for each tax charge though? Is he a repeat offender? I understand it's the max sentence, but how often are those handed down? 

I'm in favor of enforcing laws, but I also believe in proportionality... would you not be inclined to think it WAS political if he were to get the max sentence here? 

Let's be honest, the pursuit of Hunter is the real witch hunt... you get that, right? After all these years of investigating, this is all they have. The Biden Crime Family narrative is a perfect example of the type of hoax trump is always crying about being a victim of... you understand all this projection about the bidens is just that... projection, right? 
    I was being hypothetical. Even if it wasn’t political, and was totally legit, Joe would still pardon him. Do you not think he would? There is just no reason to at this point.
    And as far as how often that gets charged, I don’t know. But I do remember Richard from season 1 of survivor got 5 years for. It paying taxes on his winnings. So maybe it is common, I don’t know.

And wasn’t that the main charge behind Cohen getting his 3 years in a plea deal? He had multiple charges, but the biggest was tax evasion.

Im not a tax guy so I don’t know the difference between just failure to pay and a misdemeanor charge vs felony tax evasion that others got. But Hunter didn’t claim $3 million, a bigger sum than the Richard guy.
    Cohen was guilty of campaign finance charges, tax fraud and bank fraud.  

You guys are saying the same thing  Mace is playing his role here and Merkinballer is cutting to the logical chase
    Yes, but of all that the one that holds the biggest penalty I believe were the tax charges. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Wouldnt he have to be convicted or the plea finalized first? Nothing to pardon him for yet.

I don’t think Joe would pardon Hunter. But him saying he won’t means nothing. I only think he won’t because what’s the point, he wasn’t facing any jail? It’s not worth the bad publicity and probably cost the election.
    Imagine Hunter pleading guilty, serving no jail time, then his dad pardons him for something he admitted doing. He basically handed the GOP the election if he does that. And all for nothing if he doesn’t get jail time anyway. So yeah, he’s not going to pardon Hunter.

If he ends up getting the max sentences and jail time, then I wouldn’t be surprised. But that’s not going to happen so he’s not going to get pardoned.
    Why? Beyond the fact that it’s his son is there any reason you don’t extend him the benefit of the doubt? 

You don’t actually believe the ‘Biden crime family’ narrative spun by confirmed liars like Giuliani & trump, do you? 
    No. But let’s say they don’t reach a new deal and they decide to charge him with tax evasion instead. And he gets 5 years for each count and ends up serving 10 years for tax evasion? You don’t think Biden would pardon him then? He absolutely would and issue a statement that his son was wrongfully charged and convicted in order to seay the election.

But that wouldn’t happen. He’s not going to serve any jail time so there’s no point in a pardon.

i believe Biden when he said he won’t pardon his son. Not because I actually believe him, but because there will never be a reason to. Like I said before, it would be handing the election to the GOP if he pardoned his son for a crime he plead guilty to and isn’t even serving any time over. And he’d be doing to for almost no personal gain. So of course he’s not going to pardon himZ
    Why would he get 5 years for each tax charge though? Is he a repeat offender? I understand it's the max sentence, but how often are those handed down? 

I'm in favor of enforcing laws, but I also believe in proportionality... would you not be inclined to think it WAS political if he were to get the max sentence here? 

Let's be honest, the pursuit of Hunter is the real witch hunt... you get that, right? After all these years of investigating, this is all they have. The Biden Crime Family narrative is a perfect example of the type of hoax trump is always crying about being a victim of... you understand all this projection about the bidens is just that... projection, right? 
    I was being hypothetical. Even if it wasn’t political, and was totally legit, Joe would still pardon him. Do you not think he would? There is just no reason to at this point.
    And as far as how often that gets charged, I don’t know. But I do remember Richard from season 1 of survivor got 5 years for. It paying taxes on his winnings. So maybe it is common, I don’t know.

And wasn’t that the main charge behind Cohen getting his 3 years in a plea deal? He had multiple charges, but the biggest was tax evasion.

Im not a tax guy so I don’t know the difference between just failure to pay and a misdemeanor charge vs felony tax evasion that others got. But Hunter didn’t claim $3 million, a bigger sum than the Richard guy.

You guys are saying the same thing  Mace is playing his role here and Merkinballer is cutting to the logical chase
    Yes, but of all that the one that holds the biggest penalty I believe were the tax charges. 
    Maybe but if you have multiple charges (he had at least eight), you are far less likely to be able to negotiate down to misdemeanors.  He also pled guilty to lying to congress.  You start stacking felonies, and the DOJ isn't going to cut you the same deal as if you had far fewer issues (like Hunter).  

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,431
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Maybe but if you have multiple charges (he had at least eight), you are far less likely to be able to negotiate down to misdemeanors.  He also pled guilty to lying to congress.  You start stacking felonies, and the DOJ isn't going to cut you the same deal as if you had far fewer issues (like Hunter).  

who has since fully paid what he rightly owed ..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    Sometimes it seems as if there is more benefit of a doubt given to the guy who attempted to end our democracy than there is to Joe Biden. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,672
    Sometimes it seems as if there is more benefit of a doubt given to the guy who attempted to end our democracy than there is to Joe Biden. 
    Yup 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

who has since fully paid what he rightly owed ..
    Not paying taxes, getting caught and then paying it doesn’t make it not illegal.
  • Options
    gift article....

Michael D Shear

By Michael D. Shear

Reporting from Washington

July 28, 2023, 5:00 a.m. ET

President Biden is set to give final approval on Friday to the biggest reshaping in generations of the country’s Uniform Code of Military Justice, stripping commanders of their authority over cases of sexual assault, rape and murder to ensure prosecutions that are independent of the chain of command.

By placing his signature on a far-reaching executive order, Mr. Biden is set to usher in the most significant changes to the modern military legal system since it was created in 1950. The order follows two decades of pressure from lawmakers and advocates of sexual assault victims, who argued that victims in the military were too often denied justice, culminating in a bipartisan law mandating changes.

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Maybe. But my point was in response to if Biden was willing to pardon his son he would have already. Not true because for one, there’s nothing to pardon yet. He’s not convicted of anything and his plea didn’t go through. And second, he’s not going to pardon him when he’s not facing jail time anyway. So him not having pardoned Hunter has no bearing.
    Im wiling to bet if Hunter was facing legitimate jail time that totaled multiple years he would pardon him. I was just saying if they found some reason to raise the tax charges to felony evasion for a hypothetical argument, I’m not saying they should. I’m sure most presidents would pardon their son they are close to.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,198
    I have a hard time believing that a tRump appointed special prosecutor would take it easy on Hunter. 

The charge was misdemeanor tax evasion which seems to suggest he claimed the income but just didn't pay the tax or he didn't file a return and the IRS was able to construct a return to determine how much he owed.

I don't know the details of what actually happened though. I've looked a few times and didn't find anything definitive. Some articles say he "didn't pay" and others say he was pleading guilty to tax evasion.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I do hope they find out why Saudi Arabia gave Hunter $2B though. 

That seems pretty significant. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I have a hard time believing that a tRump appointed special prosecutor would take it easy on Hunter. 

The charge was misdemeanor tax evasion which seems to suggest he claimed the income but just didn't pay the tax or he didn't file a return and the IRS was able to construct a return to determine how much he owed.

I don't know the details of what actually happened though. I've looked a few times and didn't find anything definitive. Some articles say he "didn't pay" and others say he was pleading guilty to tax evasion.
    From various articles that I read sounds like he filed for both years, but didn’t claim $3 million of income. When he got caught he paid it. 
    I might overlook a $500 Christmas bonus, but $3 million is intentional. Paying it late after you got caught doesn’t make it not illegal.
    I don’t know what the usual consequence is and how this differs from felony tax evasion that carries years.I’ve used this example before, Richard from season 1 survivor served 50 months for not filing taxes on his winnings. (I said 5 years before because that’s what I thought, just looked it up and it was 50 months, just over 4 years- and that was time served) I don’t know all the details, I’ve just always remembered that story because I thought it was funny. Win $1 million on a hit tv show and think you can get away without claiming it. Idiot. I do know he wasn’t facing numerous other charges. Maybe he was uncooperative, refused to pay a fine and refused a plea and that’s why he got such a high sentence, I don’t know. But by comparison Hunters deal seemed like a pretty sweet deal. 3 times the money for no jail time. One of them has got to be the exception to the norm. I don’t know which to be honest.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    I do hope they find out why Saudi Arabia gave Hunter $2B though. 

That seems pretty significant. 
    Yeah seems to dwarf whatever happened with Hunter, eh? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,019
    The Brandon Crime Family Head Honcho Numero Uno could pardon Numero Dos tomorrow, if he so desired.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Seems to me Hunter is being treated more harshly than most. Richard Hatch didn’t pay the money back, he went to court and lost, and was convicted of assault just before, during or after his conviction for tax evasion. IRS doesn’t fuck around when you don’t cooperate, challenge and lose.

However, Shanlon Wu, a legal analyst and former U.S. federal prosecutor, told CBC News the agreement is "not a sweetheart deal," noting the consequences Hunter Biden is facing are stiffer than the average person with the same charges.

It's relatively rare, for making a false statement on this application for gun ownership, to have anybody be prosecuted and convicted for that as a standalone charge," Wu told As It Happens' Nil Köksal. "Meaning that, usually, people get convicted of that if the gun was then used in some other kind of crime, you know, a robbery or something."

Similarly, Wu said there is usually "a very low appetite" for prosecuting those charged with tax evasion if the outstanding money has been paid.

"So, if you look at this in the context of what would happen to the average person, there's more attention being paid to [Hunter Biden] than normally would happen." 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hunter-biden-charges-1.6882162

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

From various articles that I read sounds like he filed for both years, but didn’t claim $3 million of income. When he got caught he paid it. 
    I might overlook a $500 Christmas bonus, but $3 million is intentional. Paying it late after you got caught doesn’t make it not illegal.
    I don’t know what the usual consequence is and how this differs from felony tax evasion that carries years.I’ve used this example before, Richard from season 1 survivor served 50 months for not filing taxes on his winnings. (I said 5 years before because that’s what I thought, just looked it up and it was 50 months, just over 4 years- and that was time served) I don’t know all the details, I’ve just always remembered that story because I thought it was funny. Win $1 million on a hit tv show and think you can get away without claiming it. Idiot. I do know he wasn’t facing numerous other charges. Maybe he was uncooperative, refused to pay a fine and refused a plea and that’s why he got such a high sentence, I don’t know. But by comparison Hunters deal seemed like a pretty sweet deal. 3 times the money for no jail time. One of them has got to be the exception to the norm. I don’t know which to be honest.
    Yeah that would seem to lean more toward felony which is why I would be surprised if Weis didn't nail him for that.

Need more info

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Yeah that would seem to lean more toward felony which is why I would be surprised if Weis didn't nail him for that.

Need more info

how many millions would need to be hidden to come to a $2,000,000 settlement with the IRS? oh and no charges behind that too....

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Maybe. But my point was in response to if Biden was willing to pardon his son he would have already. Not true because for one, there’s nothing to pardon yet. He’s not convicted of anything and his plea didn’t go through. And second, he’s not going to pardon him when he’s not facing jail time anyway. So him not having pardoned Hunter has no bearing.
    Im wiling to bet if Hunter was facing legitimate jail time that totaled multiple years he would pardon him. I was just saying if they found some reason to raise the tax charges to felony evasion for a hypothetical argument, I’m not saying they should. I’m sure most presidents would pardon their son they are close to.
    This is inaccurate.  A person may be pardon at any point in the legal process.  Investigation, indictment, trail, conviction.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

Need more info

how many millions would need to be hidden to come to a $2,000,000 settlement with the IRS? oh and no charges behind that too....
    Tax, penalty, interest....hard to say but there is a 20% substantial underpayment penalty so it adds up quick. You figure a 37% tax rate plus 20% plus interest could get close to that $2mil figure on $3mil of unreported income.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

This is inaccurate.  A person may be pardon at any point in the legal process.  Investigation, indictment, trail, conviction.  
    That doesn’t make sense. But I looked it up and you’re right. I don’t know why you’d pardon someone before they are convicted.
    But still doesn’t make sense for Joe to pardon Hunter even if he can. He doesn’t know what the outcome will be. If he pardons him now it’s just saying to the world “look, we’re above the law, we know it and I don’t care to show it” and will ruin his election chances. All that for something that is likely not even going to have any jail time. So even if he can, makes no sense for Joe to pardon him at this point.
    And Joe won’t pardon him as long as he’s not in jail.
    Hunter stops cooperating, they find more income he avoided and didn’t claim, and he gets an actual sentence, I could see it happening then. But that’s not going to happen, just a hypothetical what-if.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

That doesn’t make sense. But I looked it up and you’re right. I don’t know why you’d pardon someone before they are convicted.
    But still doesn’t make sense for Joe to pardon Hunter even if he can. He doesn’t know what the outcome will be. If he pardons him now it’s just saying to the world “look, we’re above the law, we know it and I don’t care to show it” and will ruin his election chances. All that for something that is likely not even going to have any jail time. So even if he can, makes no sense for Joe to pardon him at this point.
    Hunter stops cooperating, they find more income he avoided and didn’t claim, and he gets an actual sentence, I could see it happening then. But that’s not going to happen, just a hypothetical what-if.

Ahem. Richard Nixon pardoned by Gerald Ford. Not convicted. Not charged.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Ahem. Richard Nixon pardoned by Gerald Ford. Not convicted. Not charged.
    Doesn’t fit the narrative.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Your reasoning of why Biden won't pardon him is exactly what merkin and the rest of us reasoned from the start.  It's pretty straightforward that you take a political liability and make it worse.  This is why we think Trump is a corrupt moron.  He pardoned his friends and Jred Kushner's father.  

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

Your reasoning of why Biden won't pardon him is exactly what merkin and the rest of us reasoned from the start.  It's pretty straightforward that you take a political liability and make it worse.  This is why we think Trump is a corrupt moron.  He pardoned his friends and Jred Kushner's father.  

Agreed. 

It’s worth mentioning that trump pardoning all those crooks, including Flynn & Bannon did nothing to damage his re-election chances, but Biden pardoning his son would be the end of him. It’s great how that double standard works. The hypocrisy isn’t a bug, it’s a feature. It’s a supremacist mentality. 
  • Options
    ^
    Oh my god, that is a great fucking point. Absolutely correct. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    The US economy slowed down in June. There are still concerns of a recession. None of this is "winning".
    Saw this and thought it was funny as I remembered what ol' JB posted just a couple days ago.

Literally the opposite of what he said is actually happening. The economy picked up steam in April through June, catching people off guard. It's why interest rates have ticked up in the last couple of days despite dovish talk from Powell on Wednesday. Jobless claims came in a lot lower than expected yesterday too.

https://apnews.com/article/economy-gdp-inflation-federal-reserve-jobs-consumers-ce011c5f4330bc29d37939730039d1bb

US economy unexpectedly accelerated to a 2.4% growth rate in April-June quarter despite Fed hikes

Kubota tractors are stored in Uniontown Pa Friday June 9 2023 On Thursday the Commerce Department issues its first of three estimates of how the US economy performed in the second quarter of 2023 AP PhotoGene J Puskar
    1 of 2 | 

Kubota tractors are stored in Uniontown, Pa., Friday, June 9, 2023. On Thursday, the Commerce Department issues its first of three estimates of how the U.S. economy performed in the second quarter of 2023. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

2 of 2 | 

A transport carrying new cars arrives at a Stellantis facility on Monday, July 10, 2023, in Belvidere. Ill. On Thursday, the Commerce Department issues its first of three estimates of how the U.S. economy performed in the second quarter of 2023. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

BY PAUL WISEMAN
    Updated 4:47 PM EDT, July 27, 2023

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. economy surprisingly accelerated to a 2.4% annual growth rate from April through June, showing continued resilience in the face of steadily higher interest rates resulting from the Federal Reserve’s 16-month-long fight to bring down inflation.

Thursday’s estimate from the Commerce Department indicated that the gross domestic product — the economy’s total output of goods and services — picked up from the 2% growth rate in the January-March quarter. Last quarter’s expansion was well above the 1.5% annual rate that economists had forecast.

Driving last quarter’s growth was a burst of business investment. Excluding housing, business spending surged at a 7.7% annual rate, the fastest such pace since early 2022. Companies plowed more money into factories and equipment. Increased spending by state and local 

Consumer spending, the heart of the nation’s economy, was also solid last quarter, though it slowed to a 1.6% annual rate from a robust 4.2% pace in the first quarter of the year.

Investment in housing, though, fell, weakened by the weight of higher mortgage rates.

“This is a strong report, confirming that this economy continues to largely shrug off the Fed’s aggressive rate increases and tightening credit conditions,’’ said Olu Sonola, head of U.S. economics at Fitch Ratings. “The bottom line is that the U.S. economy is still growing above trend, and the Fed will be wondering if they need to do more to slow this economy.”

In fighting inflation, which last year hit a four-decade high, the Fed has raised its benchmark rate 11 times since March 2022, most recently on Wednesday. The resulting higher costs for a broad range of loans — from mortgages and credit cards to auto loans and business borrowing — have taken a toll on growth.

Still, they have yet to tip the United States into a widely forecast recession. Optimism has been growing that a recession isn’t coming after all, that the Fed can engineer a so-called “soft-landing” — slowing the economy enough to bring inflation down to its 2% annual target without wrecking an expansion of surprising durability.

This week, the International Monetary Fund upgraded its forecast for U.S. economic growth for all of 2023 to 1.8%. Though that would be down from 2.1% growth for 2022, it marked an increase from the 1.6% growth that the IMF had predicted for 2023 back in April.

At a news conference Wednesday after the Fed announced its latest quarter-point rate hike, Chair Jerome Powell revealed that the central bank’s staff economists no longer foresee a recession in the United States. In April, the minutes of the central bank’s March meeting had revealed that the Fed’s staff economists envisioned a “mild” recession later this year.

In his remarks, Powell noted that the economy has proved resilient despite the Fed’s rapid rate hikes. And he said he still thinks a soft landing remains possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

By any measure, the American job market has shown itself to be remarkably strong. At 3.6% in June, the unemployment rate hovers just above a five-decade low. A surge in retirements after COVID-19 hit in early 2020 has contributed to a shortage of workers across the country, forcing many companies to raise wages to attract or keep staffers.

Higher pay and job security are giving Americans the confidence and financial wherewithal to keep shopping. Indeed, consumer spending, which drives about 70% of economic activity, rose at a 4.2% annual rate from January through March, the fastest quarterly pace in nearly two years. Americans have kept spending — crowding airplanestraveling overseas and flocking to concerts and movie theaters.

And the Conference Board, a business research group, reported Tuesday that Americans this month are in their sunniest mood in two years, based on the board’s reading of consumer confidence.

Indeed, many consumers are finally enjoying some relief from spiking prices: Year-over-year inflation, which peaked at 9.1% in June 2022, has eased consistently ever since. Inflation-adjusted hourly pay rose 1.4% in June from a year earlier, the sharpest such gain since early 2021.

“Inflation is easing, moving in the right direction,” said Rubeela Farooqi, chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics. ”In other words, the Fed is achieving what it wants without causing damage to the economy, so they don’t need to push too hard from this point on.’'

Still, Farooqi suggested, the surprisingly healthy GDP report makes it somewhat more likely that the Fed will raise rates again because the economy appears to be “much stronger’’ than what the central bank would like to see. With stronger growth comes a greater likelihood of high inflation.

But Thursday’s GDP report contained some encouraging news for the Fed’s inflation fighters: One measure of prices — the personal consumption expenditures index — rose at a 2.6% annual rate last quarter, down from a 4.1% pace in the January-March quarter, to the lowest level since the end of 2020.

Though that is still above the Fed’s 2% inflation target, it amounts to “another welcome sign of disinflation,” said Mike Fratantoni, chief economist at the Mortgage Bankers Association.

The Biden White House’s Council of Economic Advisers estimated Thursday that investment in factories and other manufacturing facilities added 0.4 percentage point of growth last quarter, the largest such proportion since 1981. President Joe Biden pushed the Inflation Reduction Act and the CHIPS Act last year to encourage domestic manufacturing. Michael Feroli, chief U.S. economist at JP Morgan Chase, agreed that much of last quarter’s uptick in business investment was “likely in response to recent federal incentives.’’

“This progress wasn’t inevitable or accidental,’’ the president said in a statement. “It is Bidenomics in action.’’

ADVERTISEMENT

The risk remains that the weight of ever-higher interest rates will eventually slow borrowing so much — for homes, cars, renovations, business expansions and other costly expenses — as to pull the economy into recession.

Among the economy’s weakest links has been the housing market. In June, sales of previously occupied homes sank to their slowest pace since January. The problem is that a near-historic low number of homes for sale and higher mortgage rates kept many would-be homebuyers on the sidelines. Sales fell 19% compared with June 2022 and were down 23% through the first half of the year.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    mace1229 said:
    bIdEn CrImE fAmIlY oMg

brandon should nominate him to the supreme court. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,601
    mickeyrat said:
    QtRUmplican politicians and their sycophants hate when a politician from either side does something right for their constituents. 
  • Options
    gift article....

Biden publicly acknowledges 4-year-old granddaughter
    By Meryl Kornfield
    July 28, 2023 at 20:43 ET
    President Biden acknowledged his 4-year-old granddaughter on Friday, offering his first public comment about Navy Joan Roberts several weeks after her mother, Lunden Roberts, and the president’s son Hunter Biden reached a child support agreement in an Arkansas court.
    Biden’s statement, which was first provided to People, came after a long-running paternity and child support dispute prompted criticism that the president had not acknowledged or welcomed his seventh grandchild. Hunter Biden, who denied paternity until it was established after a DNA test, reached a deal with Lunden Roberts a month ago to reduce his $20,000-a-month child support payments and provide some of his paintings to the young girl.
    Critics of the president had noted that while he had spoken about his relationship with his six other grandchildren, he had generally failed to mention Navy Roberts when discussing his family. Earlier this month, following a story about the granddaughter, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd penned a column criticizing the Biden family for not embracing his granddaughter.
    In Friday’s statement, coming shortly before he headed off to vacation, the president suggested that the family is trying to create the best atmosphere for his seventh grandchild.
    “Our son Hunter and Navy’s mother, Lunden, are working together to foster a relationship that is in the best interests of their daughter, preserving her privacy as much as possible going forward,” Biden said. “This is not a political issue, it’s a family matter. Jill and I only want what is best for all of our grandchildren, including Navy.”

continues....