Ed and Amazon

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,130
    edited October 2020
    A sad day for the Pearl Jam fanbase, with people focusing more on him having played Porch acoustic before or not, or for what reason he always wear a hat and if it's always the same hat or different types of hats, and not that Eddie Vedder is playing a corporate gig for Amazon.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Damn, you must really be a miserable fellow.
    Can you please start a thread where you tell everyone what they can/can't do?

We know one of your can't list entries:
    Get paid for your art/craft by anyone not approved by S_C  (regardless of where the money might actually be going, or that the action you are doing is a few songs and nice words to support workers and add some cheer to their day)

I think we all need this thread.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,127
    Took longer than expected for the holier than thou hot take to surface in this thread. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

Get paid for your art/craft by anyone not approved by S_C  (regardless of where the money might actually be going, or that the action you are doing is a few songs and nice words to support workers and add some cheer to their day)

This is a very hollow post.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

This is a very hollow post.

Add it to your list, please.

Ed can't play for Amazon
    F Me can't make hollow posts
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,542
    edited October 2020
    corporate gigs are easy and pay a ton. he and they have played them before and he and they will play them again. 

26 year old me wouldn't understand a lot of what i do now. it's called growth and maturity. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 312
    edited October 2020
    PJ playing a corporate gig at Oracle OpenWorld was much MUCH worse than this. It is what it is. Albums dont sell like they used to (all albums, not just PJ) and streaming doesn't compensate artists appropriately. PJ gotta eat. I'm sure it sticks in their craw from time to time too.
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
    corporate gigs are easy and pay a ton. he and they have played them before and he and they will play them again. 

26 year old me wouldn't understand a lot of what i do now. it's called growth and maturity. 
    Spot on. 

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,320
    I love amazon. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,942
    nicknyr15 said:
    I love amazon. 
    I wonder if Ed ordered his hat from Amazon. 

😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    edited October 2020
    Amazon has donated a shit ton of money to Eddie and Jill’s EB charity right? I think the children whose skin is rotting would appreciate Ed swallowing his pride a bit to “play the game” in order to help them find a cure. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    edited October 2020
    A sad day for the Pearl Jam fanbase, with people focusing more on him having played Porch acoustic before or not, or for what reason he always wear a hat and if it's always the same hat or different types of hats, and not that Eddie Vedder is playing a corporate gig for Amazon.
    After the Verizon sponsorship during the 2008 tour (remember the giants screens you could text to before the show?) and the 2009 Target partnership for Backspacer, this has just become the norm. The days of 1995's "Sponsored By No One" tour are long gone. 

Ed in Spin Magazine in 1995:

"This was a while back, but just to see that the Spin Doctors had their tour sponsored by Levi’s or something … I don’t know anything about that band, I’ve never listened to their music. This was the same time we were doing the Ticketmaster stuff, and I thought, what the hell are they doing? Why would anybody want to do that? Sure, right now It’s the odd band out there that does that, but I just don’t want there to be a day when every band Is sponsored. Hopefully in 50 years, when I check back in on society after I’ve left to go sleep under a tree, I won’t wake up and see that it’s changed like that."

https://www.spin.com/featured/pearl-jam-cover-story-1995/
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,103
    edited October 2020
    I'm not saying Amazon is any great beacon of light as a company -- only commenting that regular people work there as well, Ed sang a few songs to provide some cheer to their team, and nobody here knows what the transaction looked like.
    Did they pay a bunch of money?  What is he going to do with that money?
    Did they donate a bunch of money to charities he supports?
    Did they offer to (continue to?) partner to support WA-based initiatives to help people in need?
    Did they pledge some amount to something Voting-associated?  EB associated?

Just think we don't know. 
    Big whoop.  He sang a Miley hit and a 1991 song by Pearl Jam.
    I'm guessing (because I don't know) whatever the transaction was, that the net result will be for good.  And the workers felt great about a neat surprise.  (Except those who had no idea who he was.)
    After the Verizon sponsorship during the 2008 tour (remember the giants screens you could text to before the show?) and the 2009 Target partnership for Backspacer, this has just become the norm. The days of 1995's "Sponsored By No One" tour are long gone. 

"This was a while back, but just to see that the Spin Doctors had their tour sponsored by Levi’s or something … I don’t know anything about that band, I’ve never listened to their music. This was the same time we were doing the Ticketmaster stuff, and I thought, what the hell are they doing? Why would anybody want to do that? Sure, right now It’s the odd band out there that does that, but I just don’t want there to be a day when every band Is sponsored. Hopefully in 50 years, when I check back in on society after I’ve left to go sleep under a tree, I won’t wake up and see that it’s changed like that."

it's not 1995 anymore. 

www.headstonesband.com

edited October 2020

Sure. Lol. I call it something else.
  • A sad day for the Pearl Jam fanbase, with people focusing more on him having played Porch acoustic before or not, or for what reason he always wear a hat and if it's always the same hat or different types of hats, and not that Eddie Vedder is playing a corporate gig for Amazon.

it's not 1995 anymore. 
    I know. Pearl Jam albums were flying off the shelves back then so Eddie could sit on his high horse and criticize less successful bands for taking sponsorships. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited October 2020

it's not 1995 anymore. 
    So?

Is there something you would not use that as an excuse for? Curious to know.

it's not 1995 anymore. 
    I know. Pearl Jam albums were flying off the shelves back then so Eddie could sit on his high horse and criticize less successful bands for taking sponsorships. 
    that and one could argue it was even kind of a selfish mentality. not all of those on the pearl jam payroll were making money off royalties and 26 and single with no dependents. 

www.headstonesband.com

edited October 2020
    Today I learned that in 2020 it is wrong in the Pearl Jam fanbase to be critical of Amazon and believing artists should not support that company.

Another step of defeat from this fanbase, with the defense "They/We are not 26 anymore. So anything goes". 

As long as those Vaults keep coming out... I guess
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • A sad day for the Pearl Jam fanbase, with people focusing more on him having played Porch acoustic before or not, or for what reason he always wear a hat and if it's always the same hat or different types of hats, and not that Eddie Vedder is playing a corporate gig for Amazon.

it's not 1995 anymore. 
    that and one could argue it was even kind of a selfish mentality. not all of those on the pearl jam payroll were making money off royalties and 26 and single with no dependents. 
    That's fair. I'm sure there were many in their camp sitting there like "What do you mean you're not going to make music videos and tour the biggest venues?" Even Mike sorta suggested that in the PJ20 movie. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Today I learned that in 2020 it is wrong in the Pearl Jam fanbase to be critical of Amazon and believing artists should not support that company.

Another step of defeat from this fanbase, with the defense "They/We are not 26 anymore. So anything goes". 

be critical of amazon all you want. be critical of pearl jam or ed all you want. but just as you are allowed your opinion, others are allowed theirs. 

at some point the band realized that as long as whatever you are doing that there is a net positive, then do it. fighting/boycotting everything doesn't get a whole lot accomplished. 

www.headstonesband.com

And today we were reminded how very annoying your particular brand of trolling can be. 

he can do what ever the fuck he wants,,his call where to play,..u have no saying 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JimmyV said:

And today we were reminded how very annoying your particular brand of trolling can be. 
    In what way am I trolling?
     he can do what ever the fuck he wants,,his call where to play,..u have no saying 
    If I would have a saying, I guess he would not have done it. So that is a given.

I do however, have a right to express my opinion regarding it. Like you are doing now. Or have I no right to that according to you also?
    If I would have a saying, I guess he would not have done it. So that is a given.

I do however, have a right to express my opinion regarding it. Like you are doing now. Or have I no right to that according to you also?
    u said your opinion,and i said mine..
    u have no saying where eddie will play...your opinion doesnt matter,its his call.
    i understand your need to say always something different than  others saying,but doesnt mean u say something worth reading.
    90% is irrelevant
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,942
    🤦🏻‍♂️
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited October 2020

u have no saying where eddie will play...your opinion doesnt matter,its his call.
    i understand your need to say always something different than  others saying,but doesnt mean u say something worth reading.
    90% is irrelevant
    Your opinion matters a hell of a lot <3

90% is irrelevant
     nope,but ,atleast i dont sound like the crazy dude of a small village..
    i love u too.

90% is irrelevant
     nope,but ,atleast i dont sound like the crazy dude of a small village..
    i love u too.
    LOL "crazy dude of a small village". LOL

www.headstonesband.com