Options

SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Funny that some are more worried that there was a leak rather than established precedence is being over turned.
    At this point we don't know who leaked it and for what purpose (was it a conservative or a liberal).  The leak, though, represents further politicization of the court and the process and that is a bad precedent.    There can be outrage about both.  
    Wait there was a time when the court wasn't political?  Or did that just start when Mcconnel didn't allow Obama an appointment and then rammed whats her name in after RBG passed?
    I said further politicization.  You can be against the leak and against the proposed opinion.   Obviously the leak is not as important as the opinion but still should not happen.
    This seems to be a planned and controlled leak to help ease outrage and gauge response before it becomes the law of the land. This leak makes sense. The conservative side of the court disgusts me like never before.
    Exactly 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,119
    mickeyrat said:

That’s what America voted for, that’s what America gets.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    https://apnews.com/article/stephen-breyer-us-supreme-court-religion-boston-massachusetts-a872f0bfe945ca59d5077515449ec4b4

On the one had, I love seeing Boston take one on the chin; on the other hand, it's concerning to me how the US continues to weaken the separation of church and state with a bunch of careless zealots on the SCOTUS.
    It was a 9-0 ruling.   I don’t think there is an agenda to weaken the separation of church and state, but they looked at the specific facts of the case and ruled appropriately.  I find it hard to believe that the liberal judges would be part of this agenda.  

I am stoked that there is a 9-0 ruling.  I get that the SC only sees the gray area cases, but the 5-4 votes are the ones that bother me the most.  It just seems like it is less about application of the law at that point and more about personal beliefs.   
    There's been a long-running agenda to weaken the separation of church and state, and the fact that the SCOTUS even took the time, effort, and taxpayer dollars to rule on such a ludicrous nothing of a case signals to me that they are now on board with that agenda. Unanimously, I might add.

Make it reciprocal, and tax the fuck out of houses of worship!

seen this coming...

Satanic Temple asks Boston to fly flag after court ruling
    By PHILIP MARCELO
    Today

BOSTON (AP) — The Satanic Temple is requesting to fly a flag over Boston City Hall after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled this week that the city violated the free speech rights of a conservative activist seeking to fly a Christian flag outside the downtown building.

continues.   

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    fucking Gilead. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Funny that some are more worried that there was a leak rather than established precedence is being over turned.
    At this point we don't know who leaked it and for what purpose (was it a conservative or a liberal).  The leak, though, represents further politicization of the court and the process and that is a bad precedent.    There can be outrage about both.  
    Wait there was a time when the court wasn't political?  Or did that just start when Mcconnel didn't allow Obama an appointment and then rammed whats her name in after RBG passed?
    I said further politicization.  You can be against the leak and against the proposed opinion.   Obviously the leak is not as important as the opinion but still should not happen.
    This seems to be a planned and controlled leak to help ease outrage and gauge response before it becomes the law of the land. This leak makes sense. The conservative side of the court disgusts me like never before.
    Republicans are convinced it’s a democrat.  It’s possible but doesn’t make as much sense as an Alito or a Thomas clerk. 

It’s a draft opinion, subject to change.  Some extreme pro life clerk could have leaked it to try to lock in the 5 votes.

vote changing happens all the time (although it’s unlikely here) as dissenting opinions also get circulated.  You can’t really moderate your position after a leak makes your initial position public.

if a democrat leaked it, there is no upside.  There is a ton of upside for a Republican to have leaked it. When the leaker gets found their law career is over. That also points to a Republican.  There is far more passion and extremism in the pro life movement so that tradeoff may be worth it 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    interesting that the justices believe that their opinions have some sort of right to privacy or something.
    Ha

no right to privacy and leaking a government document isn’t a crime 

the only time it’s a crime is if it’s a leak of classified information which this isn’t or if it was obtained through a crime IE breaking into a building 

I don’t agree with the leak but according so some on the right the leak is an “insurrection” and worse than Jan 6
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Republicans are convinced it’s a democrat.  It’s possible but doesn’t make as much sense as an Alito clerk. 

It’s a draft opinion, subject to change.  Some extreme pro life clerk could have leaked it to try to lock in the 5 votes.

vote changing happens all the time (although it’s unlikely here) as dissenting opinions also get circulated.  You can’t really moderate your position after a leak makes your initial position public.

if a democrat leaked it, there is no upside.  There is a ton of upside for a Republican to have leaked it. When the leaker gets found their law career is over. That also points to a Republican.  There is far more passion and extremism in the pro life movement so that tradeoff may be worth it 
    There's benefit for democrats in this.  It totally changes the subject from the economy and kick starts the fall campaign.  You could also argue it puts pressure on the justices to moderate the opinion.  

I'm not saying it was a left wing clerk,  just saying both sides have something to gain from the leak.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Republicans are convinced it’s a democrat.  It’s possible but doesn’t make as much sense as an Alito clerk. 

There's benefit for democrats in this.  It totally changes the subject from the economy and kick starts the fall campaign.  You could also argue it puts pressure on the justices to moderate the opinion.  

I'm not saying it was a left wing clerk,  just saying both sides have something to gain from the leak.  
    Agreed assuming the clerk has a wider political agenda IE supporting the other branches of government and changing the subject on the economy.  It’s kind of out of their lane though 

I just assume either way it’s a judicial specific motivation directly related to this case 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

A week before the huge news Politico leak, the WSJ had a what is now a very interesting story about this case (which was very under the radar  at the time). WSJ seemed to know Roe was getting overturned and “guessed” Alito was writing the majority opinion. Since WSJ is known as a conservative publication, the assumption is the first leak was to them by one of the right wing clerks (or a family member, hello Ginny)  seeking to pressure the five votes to overturn Roe to not be swayed back by Roberts. 

• Options
    term limits. 18 yrs. one retires every 2 years. Perhaps include in practice x number of yrs and/or minimum yrs on a lesser bench.  Start now with term limits. with Thomas.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

A week before the huge news Politico leak, the WSJ had a what is now a very interesting story about this case (which was very under the radar  at the time). WSJ seemed to know Roe was getting overturned and “guessed” Alito was writing the majority opinion. Since WSJ is known as a conservative publication, the assumption is the first leak was to them by one of the right wing clerks (or a family member, hello Ginny)  seeking to pressure the five votes to overturn Roe to not be swayed back by Roberts. 

I think everyone was predicting the end of Roe with the Mississippi case.  States were busy putting trigger laws in place. Only Murkowski and Collins were in denial. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I think everyone was predicting the end of Roe with the Mississippi case.  States were busy putting trigger laws in place. Only Murkowski and Collins were in denial. 
    Yes. 

That’s why I found the Texas law so stunning.  If roe was getting overturned anyway which I also thought why open that can of worms on civil enforcement? 

That mechanism has the ability to be weaponised against conservatives in liberal states too. Seemed so reckless and unnecessary 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Yes. 

That’s why I found the Texas law so stunning.  If roe was getting overturned anyway which I also thought why open that can of worms on civil enforcement? 

That mechanism has the ability to be weaponised against conservatives in liberal states too. Seemed so reckless and unnecessary 

The court will simply reinterpret whenever they need, just like they are doing with gerrymandering/ map district redrawing.
  • Options
    impeachable?

What GOP-nominated justices said about Roe to Senate panel
    By KEVIN FREKING
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — In one form or another, every Supreme Court nominee is asked during Senate hearings about his or her views of the Roe v. Wade abortion rights ruling that has stood for a half century.

Now, a draft opinion obtained by Politico suggests that a majority of the court is prepared to strike down the landmark 1973 decision, leaving it to the states to determine a woman's ability to get an abortion.

A look at how the Republican-nominated justices, now a 6-3 majority, responded when asked by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee for their views on the case:

AMY CONEY BARRETT, 2020:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, then the top Democrat on the committee, asked Barrett: “So the question comes, what happens? Will this justice support a law that has substantial precedent now? Would you commit yourself on whether you would or would not?"

“Senator, what I will commit is that I will obey all the rules of stare decisis," Barrett replied, referring to the doctrine of courts giving weight to precedent when making their decisions.

Barrett went on to say that she would do that for “any issue that comes up, abortion or anything else. I'll follow the law.“

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., asked Barrett whether she viewed Roe v. Wade as a “super precedent." Barrett replied that the way the term is used in “scholarship" and the way she had used it in an article was to define cases so well settled that people do not seriously push for its overruling.

“And I’m answering a lot of questions about Roe, which I think indicates that Roe doesn’t fall in that category," Barrett said.

___

BRETT KAVANAUGH, 2018: It was Feinstein who also asked Kavanaugh, “What would you say your position today is on a woman’s right to choose?”

“As a judge, it is an important precedent of the Supreme Court. By ‘it,’ I mean Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. They have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent, which itself is an important factor to remember," Kavanaugh said.

Casey was a 1992 decision that reaffirmed a constitutional right to abortion services.

Kavanaugh went on to say that he understood the significance of the issue. “I always try and I do hear of the real world effects of that decision, as I try to do, of all the decisions of my court and of the Supreme Court.”

___

NEIL GORSUCH, 2017:

With President Donald Trump's first Supreme Court nomination, it was Sen. Charles Grassley. R-Iowa, who asked point-blank: “Can you tell me whether Roe was decided correctly?

Gorsuch replied: “I would tell you that Roe v. Wade, decided in 1973, is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It has been reaffirmed. The reliance interest considerations are important there, and all of the other factors that go into analyzing precedent have to be considered. It is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It was reaffirmed in Casey in 1992 and in several other cases. So a good judge will consider it as precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court worthy as treatment of precedent like any other.”

___

JOHN ROBERTS, 2005

The late Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., asked of the now-chief justice, who was a federal appeals court judge when nominated: “In your confirmation hearing for circuit court, your testimony read to this effect, and it has been widely quoted: ‘Roe is the settled law of the land.’ Do you mean settled for you, settled only for your capacity as a circuit judge, or settled beyond that?"

Roberts replied: “It’s settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not. And it is settled as a precedent of the Court, yes.”

___

SAMUEL ALITO, 2006

Specter, who was unabashedly supportive of Roe v. Wade, observed during Alito's hearings that the “dominant issue" was the “widespread concern" about Alito's position on a woman's right to choose. The issue arose because of a 1985 statement by Alito that the Constitution does not provide for the right to an abortion, Specter declared.

“Do you agree with that statement today, Judge Alito?" Specter asked.

“Well, that was a correct statement of what I thought in 1985 from my vantage point in 1985, and that was as a line attorney in the Department of Justice in the Reagan administration.

“Today if the issue were to come before me, if I am fortunate enough to be confirmed and the issue were to come before me, the first question would be the question that we’ve been discussing, and that’s the issue of stare decisis," Alito said. “And if the analysis were to get beyond that point, then I would approach the question with an open mind, and I would listen to the arguments that were made."

“So you would approach it with an open mind notwithstanding your 1985 statement?" Specter asked.

“Absolutely, senator. That was a statement that I made at a prior period of time when I was performing a different role, and as I said yesterday, when someone becomes a judge, you really have to put aside the things that you did as a lawyer at prior points in your legal career and think about legal issues the way a judge thinks about legal issues."

Alito was the author of the leaked draft opinion, which declares the ruling in Roe v. Wade was “egregiously wrong from the start."

___

CLARENCE THOMAS, 1991:

The late Sen. Howard Metzenbaum, D-Ohio, recalled chairing a committee hearing and listening to women maimed by “back-alley abortionists." He said he was “terrified if we turn back the clock on legal abortion services."

In questioning Thomas the senator said: “I want to ask you once again, of appealing to your sense of compassion, whether or not you believe the Constitution protects a woman’s right to an abortion?"

Thomas replied: “I guess as a kid we heard the hushed whispers about illegal abortions and individuals performing them in less than safe environments, but they were whispers. It would, of course, if a woman is subjected to the agony of an environment like that, on a personal level, certainly, I am very, very pained by that. I think any of us would be."

Thomas declined though to give his opinion “on the issue, the question that you asked me."

“I think it would undermine my ability to sit in an impartial way on an important case like that," he said.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    impeachable?

By KEVIN FREKING
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — In one form or another, every Supreme Court nominee is asked during Senate hearings about his or her views of the Roe v. Wade abortion rights ruling that has stood for a half century.

Now, a draft opinion obtained by Politico suggests that a majority of the court is prepared to strike down the landmark 1973 decision, leaving it to the states to determine a woman's ability to get an abortion.

A look at how the Republican-nominated justices, now a 6-3 majority, responded when asked by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee for their views on the case:

AMY CONEY BARRETT, 2020:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, then the top Democrat on the committee, asked Barrett: “So the question comes, what happens? Will this justice support a law that has substantial precedent now? Would you commit yourself on whether you would or would not?"

“Senator, what I will commit is that I will obey all the rules of stare decisis," Barrett replied, referring to the doctrine of courts giving weight to precedent when making their decisions.

Barrett went on to say that she would do that for “any issue that comes up, abortion or anything else. I'll follow the law.“

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., asked Barrett whether she viewed Roe v. Wade as a “super precedent." Barrett replied that the way the term is used in “scholarship" and the way she had used it in an article was to define cases so well settled that people do not seriously push for its overruling.

“And I’m answering a lot of questions about Roe, which I think indicates that Roe doesn’t fall in that category," Barrett said.

___

BRETT KAVANAUGH, 2018: It was Feinstein who also asked Kavanaugh, “What would you say your position today is on a woman’s right to choose?”

“As a judge, it is an important precedent of the Supreme Court. By ‘it,’ I mean Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. They have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent, which itself is an important factor to remember," Kavanaugh said.

Casey was a 1992 decision that reaffirmed a constitutional right to abortion services.

Kavanaugh went on to say that he understood the significance of the issue. “I always try and I do hear of the real world effects of that decision, as I try to do, of all the decisions of my court and of the Supreme Court.”

___

NEIL GORSUCH, 2017:

With President Donald Trump's first Supreme Court nomination, it was Sen. Charles Grassley. R-Iowa, who asked point-blank: “Can you tell me whether Roe was decided correctly?

Gorsuch replied: “I would tell you that Roe v. Wade, decided in 1973, is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It has been reaffirmed. The reliance interest considerations are important there, and all of the other factors that go into analyzing precedent have to be considered. It is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It was reaffirmed in Casey in 1992 and in several other cases. So a good judge will consider it as precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court worthy as treatment of precedent like any other.”

___

JOHN ROBERTS, 2005

The late Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., asked of the now-chief justice, who was a federal appeals court judge when nominated: “In your confirmation hearing for circuit court, your testimony read to this effect, and it has been widely quoted: ‘Roe is the settled law of the land.’ Do you mean settled for you, settled only for your capacity as a circuit judge, or settled beyond that?"

Roberts replied: “It’s settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not. And it is settled as a precedent of the Court, yes.”

___

SAMUEL ALITO, 2006

Specter, who was unabashedly supportive of Roe v. Wade, observed during Alito's hearings that the “dominant issue" was the “widespread concern" about Alito's position on a woman's right to choose. The issue arose because of a 1985 statement by Alito that the Constitution does not provide for the right to an abortion, Specter declared.

“Well, that was a correct statement of what I thought in 1985 from my vantage point in 1985, and that was as a line attorney in the Department of Justice in the Reagan administration.

“Today if the issue were to come before me, if I am fortunate enough to be confirmed and the issue were to come before me, the first question would be the question that we’ve been discussing, and that’s the issue of stare decisis," Alito said. “And if the analysis were to get beyond that point, then I would approach the question with an open mind, and I would listen to the arguments that were made."

“So you would approach it with an open mind notwithstanding your 1985 statement?" Specter asked.

“Absolutely, senator. That was a statement that I made at a prior period of time when I was performing a different role, and as I said yesterday, when someone becomes a judge, you really have to put aside the things that you did as a lawyer at prior points in your legal career and think about legal issues the way a judge thinks about legal issues."

Alito was the author of the leaked draft opinion, which declares the ruling in Roe v. Wade was “egregiously wrong from the start."

___

CLARENCE THOMAS, 1991:

The late Sen. Howard Metzenbaum, D-Ohio, recalled chairing a committee hearing and listening to women maimed by “back-alley abortionists." He said he was “terrified if we turn back the clock on legal abortion services."

In questioning Thomas the senator said: “I want to ask you once again, of appealing to your sense of compassion, whether or not you believe the Constitution protects a woman’s right to an abortion?"

Thomas replied: “I guess as a kid we heard the hushed whispers about illegal abortions and individuals performing them in less than safe environments, but they were whispers. It would, of course, if a woman is subjected to the agony of an environment like that, on a personal level, certainly, I am very, very pained by that. I think any of us would be."

Thomas declined though to give his opinion “on the issue, the question that you asked me."

“I think it would undermine my ability to sit in an impartial way on an important case like that," he said.

he Latin term stare decisis refers to the doctrine of precedent, which obliges judges to make certain court decisions according to previous rulings made by a higher court in the same type of case. The purpose of stare decisis is to promote consistent, predictable rulings on cases of similar nature. While prior decisions often become precedent in the U.S., adherence is not absolute. To explore this concept, consider the following stare decisis definition.

Definition of Stare Decisis

Pronounced

ster-ē-di-ˈsī-səs

Noun

1. A legal doctrine in which a decision previously reached by a court is used as authority in all future cases that are based on the same basic circumstances or facts.

Origin

1782    Latin stāre dēcīsīs  (to stand by decided matters)

History of the Doctrine of Stare Decisis

The doctrine of stare decisis, or precedent law, has its beginning in 12th century England, when King Henry II established a unified system of deciding legal maters. In this system, referred to as “common law,” the decisions of the King’s judges in various regions were respected by the other judges in deciding similar cases. As the colonists came to America, they brought with them the common law system, including the principle of stare decisis. Over the centuries, the principle of stare decisis has also become known as “binding precedent,” or “binding authority.”

Which Courts Set Precedent

Within the hierarchy of the U.S. court system, the decisions of a higher court, such as an appellate court, or supreme court, become binding precedent, or obligatory stare decisis, on lower courts. In some cases, precedent set by a court of lateral jurisdiction, meaning a court at the same level, becomes binding authority, though more often, decisions made by lateral or lower courts are used as persuasive authority, rather than binding authority. This means that these decisions are used to guide the thought process of the judge, without requiring a certain ruling.

The degree to which a prior court decision is required to be used in other cases depends on such factors as the nature of the jurisdictions of both the prior and current case, the similarities between the facts of the prior and current cases, and the length of time since the prior decision was made. With this in mind, decisions made by the U.S. Supreme Court hold the most sway as stare decisis, or binding authority, on other cases in every jurisdiction in the nation. Decisions made by state supreme courts are binding on lower courts of their own states, and are commonly used as persuasive authority in other states. Decisions made by appellate courts, whether federal or state, may become binding stare decisis on the trial courts beneath them, but must adhere to decisions of the courts above.

The Overturning of a Supreme Court Precedent

The U.S. Supreme Court is the source of the most decisions held as stare decisis in American courts. As such, it is a rare thing for the Court to overturn one of its own decisions that has been held as binding precedent. In 1896, the U.S. Supreme Court rendered a landmark decision in the matter of Plessy v. Ferguson, when it upheld the state of Louisiana’s “separate but legal” doctrine, which allowed racial segregation in public facilities. This decision held stare decisis for nearly 60 years, until the case of Brown v. Board of Education was heard in 1953.

In 1951, a civil lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Topeka, Kansas, by 13 parents on behalf of their 20 children. The plaintiffs demanded that the school district reverse its policy of racial segregation. At the time, state law allowed the school districts to maintain separate elementary schools for black and white students, but did not require it.

The matter was eventually taken to the U.S. Supreme Court, which returned a unanimous decision that racial discrimination in schools is unconstitutional. This decision surprised most people, not simply because it struck down educational discrimination, but because the Court ruled unanimously on the seriously divisive topic. Since the Brown v. Board of Education ruling, the ban on racial segregation has become stare decisis, or binding precedent, on decisions of segregation and discrimination in all things.

• Options
    I read that when you posted it on Twitter, and it...is....something. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    impeachable?

By KEVIN FREKING
    Today

AMY CONEY BARRETT, 2020:

___

___

NEIL GORSUCH, 2017:

___

JOHN ROBERTS, 2005

___

SAMUEL ALITO, 2006

___

CLARENCE THOMAS, 1991:

pieces of garbage. the whole lot of em. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    CM189191 said:
    Or blame the DNC for pushing Hillary who was unpopular with most people who had a pulse?

Blaming the Dems for everything the Republicans do is a tired position and it removes the responsibility off of them and republican voters.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,166
    seems some folks are protesting outside some of the justices' homes. 

good.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited May 2022

good.
    Remember the Supreme Court ruled a 35 foot “buffer zone” around abortion clinics to be unconstitutional.  The entire purpose of that law was to create space between protesters and people entering the clinic for services. 

Anyone who says people don’t have the right to stand on a sidewalk outside a Supreme Court justices house is a hypocrite. 

plus those protests are way less aggressive than the ones outside pretty much any planned parenthood 

can’t have it both ways.  Especially since the Supreme Court put up fencing to create their own buffer zone to keep protesters farther away. But I guess that’s ok?
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    edited May 2022
    I was just wondering why they weren’t marching in front of ACB house but I just found out they’re scheduled to protest tomorrow at all their houses.  Thought she was getting off easy, glad she’s not.  Boy, to think I was fooled by her a little, I’m embarrassed that I even considered she may have told the truth about RVW
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options

good.
    Remember the Supreme Court ruled a 35 foot “buffer zone” around abortion clinics to be unconstitutional.  The entire purpose of that law was to create space between protesters and people entering the clinic for services. 

Anyone who says people don’t have the right to stand on a sidewalk outside a Supreme Court justices house is a hypocrite. 

plus those protests are way less aggressive than the ones outside pretty much any planned parenthood 

can’t have it both ways.  Especially since the Supreme Court put up fencing to create their own buffer zone to keep protesters farther away. But I guess that’s ok?
    shouldn't a private residence be considered differently than a business?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2022

good.

shouldn't a private residence be considered differently than a business?
    It’s a public sidewalk in both cases. They aren’t on their lawns.  If they are, sure that’s trespassing 

what the public sidewalk is in front of is irrelevant 

If it’s within a gated community where all the streets and sidewalks are private property and owned whatever entity built the development and its not publicly funded, that’s different.  Then they protest at the property line where the public property ends.

ultimately it’s about the right to protest on public property. Any restriction on what public property is acceptable and what isn’t is by definition an infringement on the first amendment 
  • Options
    I understand the legality of it, I was more referring to how I consider it harassment to be protesting in front of someone's home. Protest at the SCOTUS building. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I understand the legality of it, I was more referring to how I consider it harassment to be protesting in front of someone's home. Protest at the SCOTUS building. 
    I agree.  It's not going to change their minds on their opinion.  If anything, it hardens it.  I'm not sure I understand the desired outcome other than being a PITA. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Abortion doctors have have protests in front of their houses for decades.

people also kill abortion doctors and bomb clinics.  If that’s not harassment they you can’t say it’s harassment of a Supreme Court justice who also haven’t historically seen themselves or their place of work the target of violence.  You could argue Supreme Court protests are simply protests. Protesting an abortion doctor has a real possibility of violence. Historically 

right or wrong as to if they should or shouldn’t to me is a valid concern . I’m just pointing out a clear double standard that exists 
  • Options

people also kill abortion doctors and bomb clinics.  If that’s not harassment they you can’t say it’s harassment of a Supreme Court justice who also haven’t historically seen themselves or their place of work the target of violence.  You could argue Supreme Court protests are simply protests. Protesting an abortion doctor has a real possibility of violence. Historically 

right or wrong as to if they should or shouldn’t to me is a valid concern . I’m just pointing out a clear double standard that exists 
    yeah, I would think it obvious that if I think a protest in front of someone's home is harassment that I also disagree with the treatment of abortion doctors and clinics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

yeah, I would think it obvious that if I think a protest in front of someone's home is harassment that I also disagree with the treatment of abortion doctors and clinics. 
    I tend to agree personally with that.I wouldn’t do it.  

I have a huge problem with organisations who support or just ignore the  picketing a doctors house and cry foul when it’s in front of a justices house 

you have a right to do both. Doesn’t make it right but it’s definitely not right to be both for and against it depending on who’s house it is