Options

New RS Best 500 Albums - Just One PJ record?

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    CP218430 said:
    A few issues with the list: 

1. Albums that aren't over ten years old need a grace period. I actually just listened To Pimp a Butterfly this past week and just cause I don't quite get it doesn't mean it's not solid. But it's not old enough to warrant that rating. Let the albums marinate. 

2. Greatest Hits, Anthology and Live Albums shouldn't be on greatest albums. It's a different kind of litmus. I get having a Robert Johnson Anthology his music belongs (like Woody Guthrie although he's not on there I don't think) but albums are beasts unto themselves. 

3. When I was a kid I think 96 Rolling Stone did an awesome job of 500 best albums but they divvied it up by decade with no rankings. I loved it because you perused the 50's-90's and checked out things you've never heard. Nothing was divisive because it was just a list of great music. You're not asked to compare Pet Sounds, What's Going On and/or Abbey Road....I don't think you can compare those albums along side one another. They're all master pieces. And the 90's had very few albums. 

I love lists. I love albums. And looking at it makes me listen to stuff I haven't dug.

Great post. I was thinking the same about item #3. I guess the rankings, however, create much more hype.
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

Pet Sounds is one of those albums I listen to primarily to appreciate Brian Wilson's producing abilities. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on sonically and even if I don't personally like it as much as say a few Beatles albums, I do realize how significant a leap forward it was for the band and recording industry as a whole and it influenced a lot of people (including The Beatles). With that being said, a lot of mid tempo, non guitar oriented baroque orchestration and unique instrumental choices that are not every day listening material for me.
    I listened to the first three albums in the list last night (yes, RS is winning) and there is indeed some interesting stuff there.
    - Marvin Gaye's album is very fluid/cohesive and lyrically relevant (although I should listen a little more closely there). I've never been much of a fan of soul music (nothing against it; just didn't explore it) so if I am truly going to appreciate this music genre, I have work to do.
    - Pets Sounds has a lot of experimental sounds indeed. However, I know the three hits from that album and find the rest a bit dull compared to them. I'll try again late.
    - Blue is nice (I'm all for a few folk songs) but I find a full album of Joni Mitchell's yodelling to be at bit much. 

Listening to Rumours this morning (only know the hits) and might check out the Stevie Wonder album later (again, only know the popular songs). No need for me to explore Abbey Road as I know it like the back of my hand.
  • Options
    ...speaking of Abbey Road, I'm surprised that it leap frogged over four Beatles albums between the 2012 and 2020 lists.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    VS should be on this list.  Checks all the boxes:

- Cultural impact
    - Sales records at the time (most sales 1st week, almost a million)
    - Hit singles (both radio and sales)
    - Songs celebrated in concert over the past 25 years and still to this day
    - Lyrics relevant today more than ever (Ex. WMA)
    - No filler: masterpiece from front to back
    - Contains two of Tom Morello’s favorite songs (Animal and Indifference)
    - Jaded Hipster journalists hate to admit that it was an epic album because it was at the height of PJ’s popularity and the Nirvana rivalry. (Fuckem)

Ya think they could have made room on the list?  Maybe make Harry F’ing Styles wait a few more years or move a couple Best Of Albums off?  Good lord people, let’s not fall for this garbage that their spewing. 
    Another great post.
    I believe someone here mentioned Rolling Stone and the Rock Hall in the same post and it got me thinking that there is now a bit of disconnect between the two - even if we, for instance, just focus on some 1990's rock. PJ now only has one album here but were first-ballot Hall of Famers. However, bands like Pavement and Oasis have two albums each on the list and aren't even sniffing at an induction right now. Will things change? Did PJ get inducted for other reasons than their albums (e.g., great concerts)?
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    rummy said:
    ...speaking of Abbey Road, I'm surprised that it leap frogged over four Beatles albums between the 2012 and 2020 lists.
    I'm not. I rank it as their best album. One of the problems i have is with some of the albums ranked higher than Abbey Road this time. It should be the highest ranked Beatles album but should also be ranked higher in this list. 

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    rummy said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Pet Sounds is one of those albums I listen to primarily to appreciate Brian Wilson's producing abilities. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on sonically and even if I don't personally like it as much as say a few Beatles albums, I do realize how significant a leap forward it was for the band and recording industry as a whole and it influenced a lot of people (including The Beatles). With that being said, a lot of mid tempo, non guitar oriented baroque orchestration and unique instrumental choices that are not every day listening material for me.
    I listened to the first three albums in the list last night (yes, RS is winning) and there is indeed some interesting stuff there.
    - Marvin Gaye's album is very fluid/cohesive and lyrically relevant (although I should listen a little more closely there). I've never been much of a fan of soul music (nothing against it; just didn't explore it) so if I am truly going to appreciate this music genre, I have work to do.
    - Pets Sounds has a lot of experimental sounds indeed. However, I know the three hits from that album and find the rest a bit dull compared to them. I'll try again late.
    - Blue is nice (I'm all for a few folk songs) but I find a full album of Joni Mitchell's yodelling to be at bit much. 

Listening to Rumours this morning (only know the hits) and might check out the Stevie Wonder album later (again, only know the popular songs). No need for me to explore Abbey Road as I know it like the back of my hand.
    Rumours is a monster.  It's chock full of hits, but they are hits because they're great songs.  If you're a record collector, there's a version from a few years ago (common, not expensive) that is mastered from the analog and is stunning.  Rumours deserves a place at the top of the list for both the quality of the music and the culturally relevancy.  It's just thick with sex and cocaine, pretty much Fleetwood Mac. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    rummy said:
    I'm not. I rank it as their best album. One of the problems i have is with some of the albums ranked higher than Abbey Road this time. It should be the highest ranked Beatles album but should also be ranked higher in this list. 

Oh, I too think it’s better than the others (maybe equal wth Revolver). I’m just surprised they made the change and wonder what the rationale was for it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Rumours is a monster.  It's chock full of hits, but they are hits because they're great songs.  If you're a record collector, there's a version from a few years ago (common, not expensive) that is mastered from the analog and is stunning.  Rumours deserves a place at the top of the list for both the quality of the music and the culturally relevancy.  It's just thick with sex and cocaine, pretty much Fleetwood Mac. 
    i now regret not seeing FM, and they've come to winnipeg several times over the years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    rummy said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    rummy said:

Oh, I too think it’s better than the others (maybe equal wth Revolver). I’m just surprised they made the change and wonder what the rationale was for it.
    I don't know if Abbey is the 'best', but it's definitely my favorite. 
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    Not having Yield on this list makes the whole thing irrelevant. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    TJ25487 said:
    I love Yield (I’m sure we all do) but I can understand why it’s not there. I cannot accept the omission of Vs (and, to a slightly lesser extent, Vitalogy) ... and AIC’s Dirt and SG’s Superunknown.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    rummy said:
    TJ25487 said:
    I love Yield (I’m sure we all do) but I can understand why it’s not there. I cannot accept the omission of Vs (and, to a slightly lesser extent, Vitalogy) ... and AIC’s Dirt and SG’s Superunknown.
    Yeah, Yield is one of my fav albums of all time but I can understand it's being left off. But Ten, Vs. and Vitalogy should all be on there, as objectively as I can say that. 

Also, Superunknown isn't on there?! I must have missed that. That's actually ridiculous - you could very well argue that album is better than Ten. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    edited September 2020
    rummy said:
    TJ25487 said:
    Vitalogy was on the previous list. I knew it was going to be taken off of this list.
    Also last year when people were talking about 25 years since 94 and the music that came out. Other than here they would leave off Vitalogy. Or give it as much love. Even though it was nominated for Album of the Year
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Kanye West has 6 albums on this list??  And one is higher than The White Album, Sgt Pepper and Highway 61?!?  What a fucking joke of a list.  
  • Options
    Is it My Dark Twisted Fantasy? Thats an all time hip-hop classic. 

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Kanye belongs at least five times.   100%.  I dont care what politician a person likes.  He’s up there in status with the same regard that we hold elite rock legends.   “...Twisted Fantasy” is up there with a lot of elite albums we love.  I understand we dont listen to everything in this place.  

The list is still pretty funny but he belongs the same amount as someone like Radiohead.  

• Options
    i have heard a total of one kanye song, on snl years ago. no music, just him doing some spoken word stuff. that's it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    edited September 2020
    From 2005-2014, the guy was untouchable. Check out of the records he made in those years. 

• Options
    Seriously who cares?
  • Options
    Seriously who cares?
    ME! (Kidding) 
    Of course you're right. It's just a reason to discuss music - Pearl Jam and other types.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    From 2005-2014, the guy was untouchable. Check out of the records he made in those years. 

Then at least 4 PJ albums should be on the list 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I've scanned through the list a few times but must have missed Rage Against The Machine's debut, no? Admittedly, I outgrew that type of "rage" music quite some time ago (maybe I shouldn't have?) but that should be there.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    Kanye is the most overrated musical artist in the history of music.  The only reason he is popular is because he had a few good songs, which were mostly just stolen samples form other musicians (like Daft Punk) and uses his $$, influence through the Kardashians, and controversial statements to exploit the weak minded masses.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    edited September 2020

HAHAHHAHHAH, now that is laughable.  OVERRATED.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    I don’t know where you land on hip hop, but I can tell you if you enjoy it, that’s a position held by a minority of hip hop fans. 

Critically, he was also very highly regarded. He very much deserves to be in the list and in the conversation of one of the greats. 

• Options
    Also, looking at the liner notes, it looks like he very much paid for the samples. So they weren’t stolen. 
  • Options
    i'm guessing he falls into the "hip hop/rap is garbage and doesn't belong anywhere near these lists" category. 

I used to be one of them. I'm still not a fan of the genre, but understand its talent and cultural significance. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Any best of all time album list that has 500 slots and can't find a single space for Mellon Collie by the Pumpkins immediately loses all credibility. I know this is a PJ discussion, but c'mon.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    Long Red said:
    Any best of all time album list that has 500 slots and can't find a single space for Mellon Collie by the Pumpkins immediately loses all credibility. I know this is a PJ discussion, but c'mon.
    Yes, it is a PJ discussion so let's get back to talking about Yield!  ;)
    Enough about some guy called Cheesy or Yeezy or is it Jesus???
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,451
    Quadrophenia not on the list tells me everything I need to know!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006