Options

New RS Best 500 Albums - Just One PJ record?

Comments

• Options
    I agree!  Not sure about Harry Styles on this list, but no denying most of these are pretty influential.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Normally I download these lists from RS and check off which ones I haven't heard yet, and start streaming them if available on Spotify.  Musical taste is subjective and my personal lists wouldn't have certain records like "Kid A" above "OK Computer," or "Remain in Light" over "More Songs About Buildings and Food." Things like this at least have me looking at different aspects of certain records, but I could care less where the guys rank on any publication's list.  My personal #1 is Yield, and honestly I have no other rationale other than my personal connection to the record. 
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    I too agree. I love “white male rock” (please note that I didn’t make a conscious decision to listen to this type of music because it’s made mostly by white males) but I can appreciate there’s more to music than this. However, Rolling Stone promoted “my” type of music for so long and I find they are now somewhat dismissing/downgrading it which sort of bothers me....if only because it makes my own personal tastes seem less relevant (which has happened enough over the past decade!)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    At least they got Pet Sounds right
    501?  
    I just can't get into that record.  I even bought an Analog Productions 45 version and still can't get into it. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    There's a fella that's been doing a podcast counting down the 500 songs from the 2012 list. Here's a Vitalogy link: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/pearl-jam-vitalogy-joe-list/id1440000749?i=1000429779975?i=1000429779975
    I don't think he's even close to being half way finished and I can't help but wonder what he'll do now!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited September 2020
    vant0037 said:
    It is entirely possible that we, the (probably) white middle class men that populate the fan board of a rock band, are not the best objective source to determine what is and what isn’t great music.  I love the Stones.  Does that mean that I’m the person to ask about the musical relevance/legacy of a Taylor Swift or Kendrick Lamar album?  Every time a list comes out anywhere that doesn’t completely celebrate PJ, this exact type of thread comes up.  That makes sense again, on a PJ fan site.  But our disagreement with the rankings doesn’t mean we’re any closer to the truth about what constitutes a “great” album and what does not.  Whether you like rap or not, if you don’t understand that sheer influence - let alone quality - that Kendrick Lamar has brought music, then you’re not the best source to decide his relevance on a list of great albums.
    I think most people here have a decent hold that this pop album, this country album, this hip hop album are influential and vital.  Maybe im wrong tho and most people here just listen to grunge.   (Doubt it).  I had more hip hop albums than alternative ones for a long time. 

This list is typical Rollingstone tho.  Its made to fit the current climate.  Even a lot of artists lesser albums chosen for weird reasons. Its hilarious.  I have no issue with PJ having just 1 record here.   Im glad My Bloody Valentine and Pet Sounds and College Dropout made it to where they are but even the top 20 list is hilarious.  Just a very weird list overall.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Taylor Swift 1989 at no1 or I'm wiping my ass with a RS magazine on stage.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I’ll probably keep posting in this thread for th rest of the week....
    I struggle with the inclusion of In Utero but not Vs.
  • Options
    I scanned through the list last night (might have missed 400-500). Did either Dirt or Superunknown make it?
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 364
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    I just saw some list online that was supposedly the top 100 rock albums based on critics choice. There were three Led Zeppelins in the top 10 and Led Zep IV was number 1. Great album. But still, lists are lists. Without defining specific metrics used, they are basically meaningless.
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I quite enjoyed the list. The rankings are what they are, but if nothing else the list is a great primer on albums that are worth listening to.
    For me the one glaring omission was Quadrophenia.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    The original list needed to be updated and all types of music should be represented but it's sad that society and the "woke movement" has now prioritized the urgent need for diversification over substance and historical accuracy. I guess the grunge movement never happened. No Soundgarden. No Alice in Chains. Only 1 Pearl Jam album....no Vitalogy or VS!!!! Love that there are more hip hop albums making the cut but let's not pretend like Kanye West is not the most overrated artist in human history. His $$ must be buying votes and I smell corruption.
  • Options
    I guess one might argue there was corruption before and I bought into it. Record companies (I believe) had more power a few decades ago than they do now and could have very well had more control over what went on these earlier lists - and, as a result, heavily impacted how my musical tastes developed.
    Anyway, it is really sad that there's only one album between PJ, SG, and AIC - yet Nirvana gets three. Don't get me wrong, I like Nirvana and I would never dismiss the impact of Nevermind/Smells Like Teen Spirit. However, them having three albums represented here seems a bit much - relatively speaking, anyway. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't try to squeeze in Bleach!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    rummy said:
    I guess one might argue there was corruption before and I bought into it. Record companies (I believe) had more power a few decades ago than they do now and could have very well had more control over what went on these earlier lists - and, as a result, heavily impacted how my musical tastes developed.
    Anyway, it is really sad that there's only one album between PJ, SG, and AIC - yet Nirvana gets three. Don't get me wrong, I like Nirvana and I would never dismiss the impact of Nevermind/Smells Like Teen Spirit. However, them having three albums represented here seems a bit much - relatively speaking, anyway. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't try to squeeze in Bleach!
    The voters of this list were obviously only concerned with what is perceived as "cool", "trendy" and, most importantly, "woke".  They had to keep most of the classic rock albums but in order to support diversification had to swap out most of the alternative mainstream rock albums for hip hop and R&B.  It's sad that Rolling Stone has to make these moves to support political agendas by erasing history and deemphasizing great music.  Even Nirvana, as good as they were, are significantly overrated and wouldn't be close to as popular if Kurt hadn't taken his life.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    demetrios said:
    Totally shocked it's ranked at 160. 

the fact they call it grunge tells you all you need to know about RS magazine. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I'm not putting much stock in a list that has "To Pimp A Butterfly" by Kendrick Lamar over "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen. Rolling Stone is out of touch and has been that way for years. This is the same magazine that put the Boston marathon bomber on the cover.
    No shit....worthless
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,279
    I agree!  Not sure about Harry Styles on this list, but no denying most of these are pretty influential.
    Ironically, many reviewers of Styles' Sign Of The Times noted how much it sounded like a classic rock album.

I will just add to this discussion that I am (obviously) a very big fan of Pearl Jam.  But if you ask me what the best album of 2020 is, it's Folklore, not Gigaton.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    rummy said:
    The voters of this list were obviously only concerned with what is perceived as "cool", "trendy" and, most importantly, "woke".  They had to keep most of the classic rock albums but in order to support diversification had to swap out most of the alternative mainstream rock albums for hip hop and R&B.  It's sad that Rolling Stone has to make these moves to support political agendas by erasing history and deemphasizing great music.  Even Nirvana, as good as they were, are significantly overrated and wouldn't be close to as popular if Kurt hadn't taken his life.  
    erasing history?  Maybe they just wanted some full spectrum/full cultural music.  Maybe they really like those albums, even if we don't.  
  • Options
    Nevermind is way over rated at #6.  Kind of Blue should be in the top ten.  It's as epic, original and astounding today as it was 60 years ago.  I think Exile is under rated at 14.  I don't have any problem with Ten being the only PJ record in the list.  Pet Sounds is over rated too.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    Nevermind is way over rated at #6.  Kind of Blue should be in the top ten.  It's as epic, original and astounding today as it was 60 years ago.  I think Exile is under rated at 14.  I don't have any problem with Ten being the only PJ record in the list.  Pet Sounds is over rated too.  
    honestly, for the first time a couple years ago when i got apple music i gave pet sounds a shot. i couldn't believe i was hearing what people keep calling a masterpiece. i didn't like it one bit. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    vedpunk said:
    rummy said:
    This is silly. Times change. Tastes change. Albums are perceived differently. Maybe it's the last list that sucked, and this one isn't more woke, but more well rounded. To say nothing of the fact that the past 20 years Hip hop and R&B have been the dominant sounds of pop. So of course more stuff will be included. 
  • Options
    But I get how a place like this would get bent out of shape that rock is under represented and if there is less representation from the 1990's.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    honestly, for the first time a couple years ago when i got apple music i gave pet sounds a shot. i couldn't believe i was hearing what people keep calling a masterpiece. i didn't like it one bit. 
    The only songs that were okay for me were the ones that were on every Beach Boys greatest hits for the last 50 years.  It probably was cutting edge in 66, but it feels tired now.  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    vedpunk said:
    rummy said:
    This is silly. Times change. Tastes change. Albums are perceived differently. Maybe it's the last list that sucked, and this one isn't more woke, but more well rounded. To say nothing of the fact that the past 20 years Hip hop and R&B have been the dominant sounds of pop. So of course more stuff will be included. 
    Sounds like my point went way over your head.  I agree that the list needed to be updated and more genres like hip hop and pop needed to be represented.  I am actually a fan of both so you can't label me or try put me or anyone with a different opinion than you in a box.  Your ignorance is painfully evident.  My point is that the magazine is hellbent on promoting anything that supports their political agenda and being woke is right at the top.  As a result, the magazine and it's voting has become biased by ranking albums that are perceived as "woke", "trendy" or "cool" at the top, even if it means replacing credibility and substance.  It's obvious when they ranked several albums that are only a couple years old and haven't even cemented a legacy yet. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    rummy said:
    Sounds like my point went way over your head.  I agree that the list needed to be updated and more genres like hip hop and pop needed to be represented.  I am actually a fan of both so you can't label me or try put me or anyone with a different opinion than you in a box.  Your ignorance is painfully evident.  My point is that the magazine is hellbent on promoting anything that supports their political agenda and being woke is right at the top.  As a result, the magazine and it's voting has become biased by ranking albums that are perceived as "woke", "trendy" or "cool" at the top, even if it means replacing credibility and substance.  It's obvious when they ranked several albums that are only a couple years old and haven't even cemented a legacy yet. 
    Saying RS is "erasing history" is more representative of your ignorance and point of view than RS magazine's.  You're putting it right out on display.  
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    rummy said:
    vedpunk: They need to have more genres represented in their list
    Also vedpunk: the list is too woke because its inclusive
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    edited September 2020
    The bottom line is, a big reason you don't like Rolling Stone because they have some PJ O'Rourke features that are left leaning, so you appear to be painting everything they do with that brush. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Did Primus make the list?
  • Options
    I would like to see just a list of the albums, IDC about the write ups.