Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    these people are the party of hate. have you seen the tweets saying that immigrant babies should not get baby formula before american babies. the twitter threads are disgusting.
    Is it just Twitter idiots or people who get to decide?  
    I’m not on Twitter, Facebook….
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Here in Pennsylvania the GOP is now shitting its pants at  the very real possibility of nominating a right wing extremist for both Governor (Mastriano--an election denier who stormed the Capitol on 1/6) and Senator (Barnett--an absolute whack job who's also an election denier) that will likely get trounced in November.

The primary is Tuesday and they're trying to get the other candidates to drop out and coalesce behind the one with the best chance. But they should have realized this months ago. Probably too late now. 

The GOP is a fucking crazy cult. 
    You don't think Oz wins the primary?
    I am not so sure. This Barnett nut job has gained like 10% over the last couple weeks (the abortion stuff is helping her because she put out a video saying her mom was raped yet kept the child, ie: her- yada yada). Basically neck and neck with Oz and Mccormick at this point. 

I've read a lot recently about how Trump's endorsement isn't really helping Oz much. He even got booed when he spoke at a Trump rally last week. 
    I was on a flight to Oakland last night and the guy in front of me spent the night absorbing Fox prime time tv. Hannity spent half half his show tearing her down.  I could only read the bottom headline but it said things like "Barnett disturbing tweets uncovered" and "didn't support Trump". 

So the Hannity apparatus is trying to take her down. 

Didn’t want to wait til September to sing small town a few times?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    these people are the party of hate. have you seen the tweets saying that immigrant babies should not get baby formula before american babies. the twitter threads are disgusting.
    Does it matter? You can both sides a lot of shit, but I don’t see a bunch of unwarranted hate and vitriol coming from the dems I come across.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Here in Pennsylvania the GOP is now shitting its pants at  the very real possibility of nominating a right wing extremist for both Governor (Mastriano--an election denier who stormed the Capitol on 1/6) and Senator (Barnett--an absolute whack job who's also an election denier) that will likely get trounced in November.

The primary is Tuesday and they're trying to get the other candidates to drop out and coalesce behind the one with the best chance. But they should have realized this months ago. Probably too late now. 

I am not so sure. This Barnett nut job has gained like 10% over the last couple weeks (the abortion stuff is helping her because she put out a video saying her mom was raped yet kept the child, ie: her- yada yada). Basically neck and neck with Oz and Mccormick at this point. 

I've read a lot recently about how Trump's endorsement isn't really helping Oz much. He even got booed when he spoke at a Trump rally last week. 
    I was on a flight to Oakland last night and the guy in front of me spent the night absorbing Fox prime time tv. Hannity spent half half his show tearing her down.  I could only read the bottom headline but it said things like "Barnett disturbing tweets uncovered" and "didn't support Trump". 

I only had Baltimore east coast,  and had these oakland from the start 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Does it matter? You can both sides a lot of shit, but I don’t see a bunch of unwarranted hate and vitriol coming from the dems I come across.
    You’re right….doesn’t matter.  The fact that anyone is trying to interfere with personal freedoms and the reality that we live in a country with blatant racists makes who said what not matter at all.  But thanks for not leaving me hanging
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I only had Baltimore east coast,  and had these oakland from the start 

Congrats, hope you enjoyed the shows. MSG and Camden have been tough tix, I got lucky for the latter. Wouldn’t mind adding Ottawa, not a big fan of driving far.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    lol, cawthorn lost his primary.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I enjoyed that because he's such a dipshit. I don't know much about whoever beat him, but I'm sure they're terrible.  I doubt this really matters a ton in the big picture or is a sign that the GQP is going back to any form of sanity.

I suspect he didn't lose because he's a boot-licking, Trump-humping, lib-owning, rage-tweeting, asshole but because of the humiliations he faced after talking about the GOP orgy club.

He only has one talent; tweeting absolute nonsense. I don't think anyone else is going to pay him six figures to do that...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    First let me start by saying that the polling places shortage of ballots is not ok - that being said - in my area republicans are blaming democrats of coordinating the ballot shortage to cheat to win “again”

Now,  this is the perfect example of what’s wrong with republicans who support trump 

Dems and republicans don’t vote against each other in the primary election. Trump probably doesn’t understand it so his followers probably don’t either.  Where do we sign these people up for civic classes! 
  • Options
    First let me start by saying that the polling places shortage of ballots is not ok - that being said - in my area republicans are blaming democrats of coordinating the ballot shortage to cheat to win “again”

Now,  this is the perfect example of what’s wrong with republicans who support trump 

Dems and republicans don’t vote against each other in the primary election. Trump probably doesn’t understand it so his followers probably don’t either.  Where do we sign these people up for civic classes! 

Is your region run by democrats?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544

They can't be taking classes of any sort. 
    If they did they might learn something 
    If they learn something they might be considered educated. 
    If they become educated they might be labeled educated elite 
    If they become educated elite they might not vote QtRUmplican. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034

that’s true.  

About a year ago a loose acquaintance of mine who lives in west Texas said he doesn’t want his kids to go to college “because of how it will look”

education has been devalued to the point where it’s not something large swaths of the country even aspire to anymore.  The education divide is probably worse than the urban rural divide.  Even twenty plus years ago, a relative of mine went home to take over the family ranch where she grew up. The fact she was a Stanford educated rancher absolutely caused friction in the community and she was/is a Republican.  Somehow the education thing was something people couldn’t get past.  So it’s not a new thing, but it’s definitely accelerating 

• Options

that’s true.  

About a year ago a loose acquaintance of mine who lives in west Texas said he doesn’t want his kids to go to college “because of how it will look”

education has been devalued to the point where it’s not something large swaths of the country even aspire to anymore.  The education divide is probably worse than the urban rural divide.  Even twenty plus years ago, a relative of mine went home to take over the family ranch where she grew up. The fact she was a Stanford educated rancher absolutely caused friction in the community and she was/is a Republican.  Somehow the education thing was something people couldn’t get past.  So it’s not a new thing, but it’s definitely accelerating 

This is so pathetic.  

Plus, it becomes a self perpetuating issue.  People who go to college, associate with and marry people who went to college.  And then they have children who they push to college.  So it creates not only an education gap, but a wealth gap.  

Your acquaintance is so fucking stupid, I can't wrap my head around it. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    THAT. IS. AWESOME. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    people are AGAINST education now? wtf?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:

that’s true.  

This is so pathetic.  

Plus, it becomes a self perpetuating issue.  People who go to college, associate with and marry people who went to college.  And then they have children who they push to college.  So it creates not only an education gap, but a wealth gap.  

Your acquaintance is so fucking stupid, I can't wrap my head around it. 
    Yep. 

It’s always interesting as my wife is in oil and gas… in the city. When we come across people actually working in the fields it’s like a different planet. Even though both are in the same industry 

however there is already a giant education gap between engineers and roughnecks. Actively wanting to perpetuate it is shocking, but it happens 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The code words “liberal elitist” have morphed into a term for college educated people more generally.

since statistically your education level correlates to voting preferences, education has become an enemy to some.  I can only guess that some are so opposed to their kids becoming liberal the only option they see is to talk them out of college in the first place. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Now? Where have you been for 40+ years?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Well I do think it would be helpful if we could all be open and honest about some things.  This all stems from people thinking their kids are going to be made into some kinda far leaning liberal through controlled information and pushing by teachers.

The reality is... and I know this is a shocker... their are teachers/prof that push their agendas on kids.  There will be other kids and groups doing that as well.  I do think profs can get out of line, but in reality all of this is good as it challenges current assumptions and likely does result in some changes of opinion/beliefs.  I think the fact the the left often tries to dismiss this idea of profs pushing their beliefs is disingenuous.  If you don't think it's happening, you just aren't paying attention.  And then the right chooses to demonize instead of believe it's ok to be exposed to a diversity of thought.

Another example - I thought De Santis was being a complete ass and florida really dumb about banning math textbooks....then I saw some of the charts and questions in it. While not terrible, they were certainly placed there to try and develop or shift bias.  It isn't really that hard to see.  So as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle on a lot of things but we'd rather demonize everything.  Some people fully deserve being demonized...but it's not as many as we all seem to think. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Now? Where have you been for 40+ years?
    Cana-DUH
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    The code words “liberal elitist” have morphed into a term for college educated people more generally.

since statistically your education level correlates to voting preferences, education has become an enemy to some.  I can only guess that some are so opposed to their kids becoming liberal the only option they see is to talk them out of college in the first place. 
    Insecure people using others achievements as a rally cry to bring them back down to their level.

Used to just be the Book Smart vs Street Smart discussion.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Well I do think it would be helpful if we could all be open and honest about some things.  This all stems from people thinking their kids are going to be made into some kinda far leaning liberal through controlled information and pushing by teachers.

The reality is... and I know this is a shocker... their are teachers/prof that push their agendas on kids.  There will be other kids and groups doing that as well.  I do think profs can get out of line, but in reality all of this is good as it challenges current assumptions and likely does result in some changes of opinion/beliefs.  I think the fact the the left often tries to dismiss this idea of profs pushing their beliefs is disingenuous.  If you don't think it's happening, you just aren't paying attention.  And then the right chooses to demonize instead of believe it's ok to be exposed to a diversity of thought.

Another example - I thought De Santis was being a complete ass and florida really dumb about banning math textbooks....then I saw some of the charts and questions in it. While not terrible, they were certainly placed there to try and develop or shift bias.  It isn't really that hard to see.  So as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle on a lot of things but we'd rather demonize everything.  Some people fully deserve being demonized...but it's not as many as we all seem to think. 
    Since STEM is usually the same types of skills, devaluing science in particular has produced a generation (already) of people weak in science, technology, and math fields.

evolution, climate sciences, bio technology  etc.  once you start picking and choosing what science you think is fake or wrong it undermines everything as you are devaluing the entire premise of which science is founded.  Science funding from the government is way way down too, so the government isn’t investing either and when they do there are strict constraints on what these scientists can even research 

To say professors are pushing a liberal agenda to me is a stretch.  Pushing an education agenda maybe or an academic freedom agenda sure.  I mean seriously a college professor discussing climate change will absolutely be accused of pushing an agenda, they are and it’s not a political one. It’s a science agenda 
  • Options
    it's funny to me that people see education as an indoctrination into a certain political ideology.....the same people that go to church and/or wear MAGA gear. oh, the irony. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    They are so confident too. Two doors down from us lives a complete tRumpster moron. He is 40 years old and weighs about 400 lbs. As far as I know he has never had a job other than plowing snow and mowing some yards on his own a few years back. This fucking asshole doesn't even mow his own yard or clear his own driveway of snow for his mom who is about 70.

He knows we vote democrat because my wife made the mistake of adding him as an FB "friend". 

Now every time he sees us out he makes stupid comments like "how do you like gas prices?"

I do this fucking asshole's tax return...the most money he has made was $18K in 2021 which was all unemployment benefits. Yet he will be the first one complaining about people sucking off the system.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    it's funny to me that people see education as an indoctrination into a certain political ideology.....the same people that go to church and/or wear MAGA gear. oh, the irony. 
    That’s why I’m anti religion.  These damn religious elitists 😂
  • Options
    They are so confident too. Two doors down from us lives a complete tRumpster moron. He is 40 years old and weighs about 400 lbs. As far as I know he has never had a job other than plowing snow and mowing some yards on his own a few years back. This fucking asshole doesn't even mow his own yard or clear his own driveway of snow for his mom who is about 70.

He knows we vote democrat because my wife made the mistake of adding him as an FB "friend". 

Now every time he sees us out he makes stupid comments like "how do you like gas prices?"

I do this fucking asshole's tax return...the most money he has made was $18K in 2021 which was all unemployment benefits. Yet he will be the first one complaining about people sucking off the system.
    Mr Plow - Drawception
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I think the only appropriate answer to him on FB is "Well since I make more than 18k a year on the gov't, the gas prices don't bother me all that much.".  
  • Options
    edited May 2022

You could try to explain how low interest rates lead to growth. Unrestrained growth is bad and causes inflation. The economy doesn’t change overnight, it takes months or years for some of this stuff to show up 

Remind him how trump spent months bullying the fed to cut/keep interest rates at basically zero so he could benefit from that growth, no matter the consequences. He even threatened to fire Powell (which he doesn’t really even have the power to do).

let me know how it goes 

it was going to be a problem even without all the other stuff happening in the world. The best thing that could have happened to trump happened, he lost. He left office before the wheels fell off so he can escape blame yet again 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited May 2022
    It's another projection..."brainwashed." I know this can be a sensitive topic but I can't think of anything as brainwashing as religion. Except maybe alt-right media.

The education thing is interesting. I was a political science major and I don't remember anyone really pushing anything on me. But 1) as a liberal, I was already there any maybe coming from my echo chambers, I didn't notice (I'm being 89% sarcastic) and 2) I probably don't even grasp the conservative threshold for "indoctrination." I took a class called "comparative politics" and we studied like four different areas. And we learned about the installation of Pinochet in Chile and the US's role and preference for him over socialism. It was useful, and I suppose it may have been included there because some tenure-protected marxist professor wanted to take the United States down a peg. But as far as I know everything I learned actually happened and it's one of the specific parts of those political science classes I recall. #indoctrinated.

The other thing about education is that there's some blowback from decades of high schools and pop culture telling kids that college was the ideal. And I think there was (still is?) and unspoken but obvious shaming of trade schools, the military and, especially, just getting a job. So every time I see social media posts about valuing trade schools (a good message in itself) the majority of responses are pouncing on leaning a useful skill instead of spending four years getting drunk and getting a degree in 17th Century Albanian Literature. I think some of it is a bit of fighting back on the old "college or you're a loser" narrative, but really, is it OK for people to just do whatever's right for them. I don't think it's usually even poltical (though there is the occasional "liberal indoctrination" angle, to be sure). But many people really believe we should all either be going to trade schools or if we want to be going to college we must spend two years at community college to save money (and everything else is wrong). It's all crap and maybe it used to just be college kids looking down at everyone but we're now all looking down at each other. 

I'll be honest, I feel into that trap, as well, coming from a family of liberal arts bachelors degrees. I'm fortunate that this was the actual right path for me.  Some people learned the hard way (i.e., two years of tuition before dropping out). And you know something, socially, I'd have been hit hard staying home and doing two years of CC. Four years at a big University was absolutely the right thing for me. So sometimes the high-and-mighty return-of-shaming pisses me off. What I'd really like to see is 1) high schools, parents, etc. letting kids know all their options and 2) all of us just letting each other do what's best for us. It might be CC...the military...expensive Ivy League school...whatever.

I will also go to my grave believing that there is value to a well-rounded liberal arts* education along with the "college experience" (which can be had with little/no drinking). But I also understand that that's not best for everyone and the rising cost drives a need to be a bit more utilitarian with these plans.

I think college / high-profile college is still valued in an unfortunate way, as evidenced by the scandal where 50 people (including a couple of celebrities) bribed their kids into high-profile schools. If you're super rich, why isn't it OK for your kid to go to Fresno State or the University of Iowa? Does it have to be Northwestern, USC or Ivy? I think that's an indication that the elitism thing is not totally without merit. And what if a CEO's kid wants to become a plumber? Is that wrong? I think most of us kinda think it is, but why?

*Liberal arts is an unfortunate name that I supect gives a little extra push to the anti-education crowd.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Republicans in PA are still counting votes for the senate primary. Counting votes AFTER election day!!!!!

STOP
    THE
    COUNT!!!!!
    chinese-happy.jpg