Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    thank god I live in canada where my daughter's autoimmune therapy, which costs $5,000 every six weeks, is covered. I don't have to worry about people not wanting to help out. 
    For thread integrity, I wonder what/who is preventing us from obtaining a similar kind of healthcare system down here...
    You tell me. Why didn't Obama go that route when he had his chance?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2022
    JB16057 said:
    thank god I live in canada where my daughter's autoimmune therapy, which costs $5,000 every six weeks, is covered. I don't have to worry about people not wanting to help out. 
    For thread integrity, I wonder what/who is preventing us from obtaining a similar kind of healthcare system down here...

Um, that certainly would've helped to achieve McConnell's 2010 midterm goal: "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,888
    JB16057 said:

Baby steps. obamacare was the first step. no way he could have accomplished a complete overhaul from for-profit to "communist" healthcare. the american people would have overwhelmingly rejected it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    you don't usually need insulin for type 2. you need it for type 1, which is not caused by obesity. it's autoimmune. and without out it, people die. and with it, some people go bankrupt. 
    Ok. Let's breakdown those numbers. Approx. 1.6 million have Diabetes 1 in the US. All need insulin.

There are 37 million that have Diabetes 2. About 30% of those need insulin which equates to 11 million needing insulin.

There are way more Diabetes 2 patients that need insulin and most of them did it to themselves.

I have no issue helping out the 1.6 million that don't have a choice or opportunity. If there was a fair way to help out everyone with diabetes, I wouldn't mind. The concerns from the GOP on this bill is that will unfairly and unevenly effect the heath insurance system as it currently stands. For me, I have a small business so I have to purchase my own health insurance. I only have 1 company to purchase from. I've had insurance my whole life and knock on wood, have never had to use it. I have to pay a higher premium every year already. Like I said, let's make a fair and even approach to this and I'll accept but this isn't it.

Here are 2 more valid concerns:

"Other critics of the legislation point out that the Affordable Insulin Act has some loopholes, namely that it wouldn’t include the coverage of the 28 million people in the US who don’t have health insurance.

It also doesn’t address the major issue of the US pharmaceutical companies price gouging the overall price of the lifesaving drug, and instead shifts that burden onto a person’s insurers and employers."

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,357
    edited April 2022
    dankind said:
    JB16057 said:

Um, that certainly would've helped to achieve McConnell's 2010 midterm goal: "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."
    hahahaha

He essentially said the same thing last year about Biden. But sure, they want to accomplish things in a bipartisan fashion!
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/mcconnell-says-100-of-his-focus-is-on-blocking-biden-agenda-11620257305?mod=article_inline

Good grief.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    JB16057 said:
    you don't usually need insulin for type 2. you need it for type 1, which is not caused by obesity. it's autoimmune. and without out it, people die. and with it, some people go bankrupt. 
    Ok. Let's breakdown those numbers. Approx. 1.6 million have Diabetes 1 in the US. All need insulin.

There are 37 million that have Diabetes 2. About 30% of those need insulin which equates to 11 million needing insulin.

There are way more Diabetes 2 patients that need insulin and most of them did it to themselves.

I have no issue helping out the 1.6 million that don't have a choice or opportunity. If there was a fair way to help out everyone with diabetes, I wouldn't mind. The concerns from the GOP on this bill is that will unfairly and unevenly effect the heath insurance system as it currently stands. For me, I have a small business so I have to purchase my own health insurance. I only have 1 company to purchase from. I've had insurance my whole life and knock on wood, have never had to use it. I have to pay a higher premium every year already. Like I said, let's make a fair and even approach to this and I'll accept but this isn't it.

"Other critics of the legislation point out that the Affordable Insulin Act has some loopholes, namely that it wouldn’t include the coverage of the 28 million people in the US who don’t have health insurance.

It also doesn’t address the major issue of the US pharmaceutical companies price gouging the overall price of the lifesaving drug, and instead shifts that burden onto a person’s insurers and employers."

but you also can't put a number of how many of those with type 2 "did it to themselves". if you can, I'd love to see those numbers, but I don't see how you can. 

there are also innumerable other things that humans do to themselves that negatively affect their health, and lots of those are covered. And what I'm uncomfortable with, is saying "you ate mcdonald's, fuck your life saving heart surgery". I understand the sentiment and frustration, but shouldn't we be a compassionate society and say "ok, you fucked up, but we're not going to let you die or go bankrupt because you made poor decisions"? People overeat/drink/smoke/etc for a multitude of reasons. and it's not always a simple "choice". mental illness, depression, demographics, upbringing, education. a lot of it has to do with privilege. so what you are essentially saying is, "we held you down, and now that the effects of holding you down have made you unhealthy, we're going to blame you for that too". 

I'm not going to sit here and say from my high tower that smokers shouldn't get cancer treatment. I'm not evil. 

I agree that big pharma is a big problem. but how does the government justify regulating a private industry? wouldn't republicans cry overreach? the american dream? the freedom of capitalism?
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    also, today the US house voted to decriminalize marijuana. it will probably die in the senate, but i will give you one guess as to the party that voted against it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    also, today the US house voted to decriminalize marijuana. it will probably die in the senate, but i will give you one guess as to the party that voted against it.
    that's awesome. but yeah.....no chance.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    It's crazy. The GOP is generally smarter than the Dems when it comes to grabbing power. And their goal is one-party autocracy. Being all-in on legalization seems like a no-brainer. It's overwhelmingly supported, leans libertarian, and is one of very few issues on which the Dems have a clear advantage. And for any old-timey conservatives that don't like it? Well, they'll be just like the Dems on that issue and they'll still be for nationalized religion, not saying "gay," and defeating woke culture...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    It's crazy. The GOP is generally smarter than the Dems when it comes to grabbing power. And their goal is one-party autocracy. Being all-in on legalization seems like a no-brainer. It's overwhelmingly supported, leans libertarian, and is one of very few issues on which the Dems have a clear advantage. And for any old-timey conservatives that don't like it? Well, they'll be just like the Dems on that issue and they'll still be for nationalized religion, not saying "gay," and defeating woke culture...
    But wouldn't those R's that vote yes on it risking donations from their hard right supporters on this?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2022
    JB16057 said:

but you also can't put a number of how many of those with type 2 "did it to themselves". if you can, I'd love to see those numbers, but I don't see how you can. 

there are also innumerable other things that humans do to themselves that negatively affect their health, and lots of those are covered. And what I'm uncomfortable with, is saying "you ate mcdonald's, fuck your life saving heart surgery". I understand the sentiment and frustration, but shouldn't we be a compassionate society and say "ok, you fucked up, but we're not going to let you die or go bankrupt because you made poor decisions"? People overeat/drink/smoke/etc for a multitude of reasons. and it's not always a simple "choice". mental illness, depression, demographics, upbringing, education. a lot of it has to do with privilege. so what you are essentially saying is, "we held you down, and now that the effects of holding you down have made you unhealthy, we're going to blame you for that too". 

I'm not going to sit here and say from my high tower that smokers shouldn't get cancer treatment. I'm not evil. 

I agree that big pharma is a big problem. but how does the government justify regulating a private industry? wouldn't republicans cry overreach? the american dream? the freedom of capitalism?

Yeah....you have a debilitating illness and it's all your fault! You deal with it!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090924231753.htm

https://stateofchildhoodobesity.org/diabetes/#:~:text=Updated September 2021: According to,has the lowest at 7.5%.

The crazy thing is diabetes is much more prevalent in Republican led states too. You'd think these senators would want to help them out. But no, they feed them the same old bullshit about spending being out of control while their constituents suffer. And those same constituents believe them and continue to vote for them. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,166
    JB16057 said:

True, many poor people look to eat the cheapest food, which can lead to diabetes. It’s another “blame the poor for being poor” argument from conservatives 
  • Options
    Biden does not support legalization.

Biden’s blunt opposition to marijuana legalization

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Is legalization is the same thing as decriminalization?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    legalization is not the same as decriminalization. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,274
    JB16057 said:

True, but he does support decriminalization so your counter point is moo.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    like a cow's opinion. ask devin nunes about that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:

Legalization would be decriminalization. My point is that you are all putting blame on the GOP when your own "Democrat" President doesn't support legalizing marijuana.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:

Legalization would be decriminalization. My point is that you are all putting blame on the GOP when your own "Democrat" President doesn't support legalizing marijuana.

Would he sign the bill?  I have not read that he would veto it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:

And of 220 votes, only 3 Republicans voted for it. Not hard to see why blaming GOP isn't easy to do....unless you're making a disingenuous argument. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    JB16057 said:

Great, now talk about all the ideas and policies the GOP have pushed that could potentially help combat those preventable numbers.
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:

And of 220 votes, only 3 Republicans voted for it. Not hard to see why blaming GOP isn't easy to do....unless you're making a disingenuous argument. 
    It would be interesting to see how many of them get donations from private prison companies.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,572

Republican-controlled states have higher murder rates than Democratic ones: study

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,701
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    see what i mean? always punching down on everyone they disagree with.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    legalizing child marriage? GROSS
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    legalizing child marriage? GROSS
    Years ago I saw a story about child marriage, which I hadn't even realized was a thing. And I was absolutely blown away not only by how many states allow it but by the number of people (I think it was Twitter) defending it. It didn't even seem to be a firm "crazy right wing" stance. It seemed like there was a sizable minority across the spectrum. I realize it was anecdotal and maybe child marriage fans on social media make a point to be very present whenever the topic comes up, but they were dominating the replies, with very few suggesting that maybe it's not a good idea to tie a 16 year old to one person for the rest of their life.

It's way more common in the United States than I'd have believed. I'm a cynical guy (no shit, eh?) but I would never have thought that a lot of parents would sign of on their 14-17-year-old daughters (usually) making that lifelong commitment, regardless of how age inappropriate the partner is.

300,000 in the US since 2000. Some states don't even have lowest-age limits.

https://populationmatters.org/news/2021/04/child-marriage-us-where-outrage#:~:text=About 300,000 children with a,in gender inequality and patriarchy.

44 states allow it in some circumstances. Alaska allows it at 14 and three more stats allow it at 15.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States#U.S._States

It's creepy, it's wrong, and I imagine it's life-ruining for the victims. And yes, they're victims whether they want this to occur or not. I don't think any society can be truly great if this is allowed.