Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Everything is a threat to "our way of life." High-scoring spring training games, Disney saying "kids" instead of "boys" and "girls," the Cleveland Guardians, the Washington Commanders, options beyond just milk at coffee shops (i.e., oat milk, soy milk, etc.), and most of all, pronouns. It really must be exhausting to feel threatened by almost every change.

(And yes...I did see an outraged tweet about too many coffee creamer choices...)
    Don't forget long hair, baggy pants, etc.  So many threats.. so so many.  
    Anybody Brooklynites remember Eric Adams' bullshit taxpayer-funded "stop the sag" campaign from about 10 years ago?

I never would've voted for such a fucking douchenozzle.
    That's crazy.  How kids dress or look is the least important thing in the world to me.  You have your whole life to be uptight, let it loose now.  My son had a crazy ass 'fro in high school.  He could man bun it.  My brother in law (wife's BIL actually) is a Navy colonel and professor at the academy.  He would ask me about it and complain, but I'd say STFU.  Who cares.  He'll grow out of it when he needs to.  And now he's in college with a girl friend who likes short hair, so he has short hair.  Amazing what a little action does to a man.  But that's just how it works. 
    I recall how my sister (and not often, my parents) telling me to stop wearing skin tight jeans and all black metallica/testament/megadeth shirts in summer and cut my hair and all that shit, and how worthless it made me feel. 

so I don't dare say anything to my kids about stuff like that. 
    They were right about your Jordache jeans. 
    haha, also had a brief run with this style (everyone did here)

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Everything is a threat to "our way of life." High-scoring spring training games, Disney saying "kids" instead of "boys" and "girls," the Cleveland Guardians, the Washington Commanders, options beyond just milk at coffee shops (i.e., oat milk, soy milk, etc.), and most of all, pronouns. It really must be exhausting to feel threatened by almost every change.

(And yes...I did see an outraged tweet about too many coffee creamer choices...)
    Anybody Brooklynites remember Eric Adams' bullshit taxpayer-funded "stop the sag" campaign from about 10 years ago?

That's crazy.  How kids dress or look is the least important thing in the world to me.  You have your whole life to be uptight, let it loose now.  My son had a crazy ass 'fro in high school.  He could man bun it.  My brother in law (wife's BIL actually) is a Navy colonel and professor at the academy.  He would ask me about it and complain, but I'd say STFU.  Who cares.  He'll grow out of it when he needs to.  And now he's in college with a girl friend who likes short hair, so he has short hair.  Amazing what a little action does to a man.  But that's just how it works. 

silver oak leaf, or bird insignia? colonel is army, air force , or marines. navy rank is gold oak leaf is lt commander, silver oak leaf is commander and bird is captain. 
    I don't know man.  He actually might be Marine, but I do think it's Naval.  He teaches history there and has written some books on Jackson.  We end up arguing about Jackson because he is a fanboy of his military career and I'm critical of his presidency.  He's considered a Jackson expert.  

Here is his page at the USNA https://www.usna.edu/History/Faculty/Berube.php and his books if you are inclined to read them:  https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27:Claude+Berube&s=relevancerank&text=Claude+Berube&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

silver oak leaf, or bird insignia? colonel is army, air force , or marines. navy rank is gold oak leaf is lt commander, silver oak leaf is commander and bird is captain. 
    I don't know man.  He actually might be Marine, but I do think it's Naval.  He teaches history there and has written some books on Jackson.  We end up arguing about Jackson because he is a fanboy of his military career and I'm critical of his presidency.  He's considered a Jackson expert.  

Here is his page at the USNA https://www.usna.edu/History/Faculty/Berube.php and his books if you are inclined to read them:  https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27:Claude+Berube&s=relevancerank&text=Claude+Berube&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1

academy listing doesnt show rank however in the bio it said he is(or was) navy reserve also saying he has taught there as both a civilian and officer...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

academy listing doesnt show rank however in the bio it said he is(or was) navy reserve also saying he has taught there as both a civilian and officer...
    Yeah I know.  He had to go to Gitmo for two years a few years ago to fulfill the end of his reserve requirements.  I think he is technically retired now, as he's about 55 now.  I tend not to talk about rank and those sorts of things.  I'm not particularly enamored with the military just because they are military.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

FTR, he was a hard core Republican.  His dog was named Reagan when we met him.  I used to always call it Regan (for Don Regan) just to annoy him. But he was and is vehemently anti-Trump.  He even voted for Hillary.  I'm sure it was painful, but he is definitely in the "never-Trump" camp of the GOP.  So as much as we used to argue politics, we were good there. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

surprised how long it took. found something, Commander is or was his last rank.

Being Navy myself, I'd be interested in that Jackson era Naval History book.  Not a fan of the human or his policies particularly about expansion and his actions toward native populations.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

FTR, he was a hard core Republican.  His dog was named Reagan when we met him.  I used to always call it Regan (for Don Regan) just to annoy him. But he was and is vehemently anti-Trump.  He even voted for Hillary.  I'm sure it was painful, but he is definitely in the "never-Trump" camp of the GOP.  So as much as we used to argue politics, we were good there. 
    must be frustrating as fuck to be in that camp. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Being Navy myself, I'd be interested in that Jackson era Naval History book.  Not a fan of the human or his policies particularly about expansion and his actions toward native populations.
    Well that's right.  His policies on slavery and Indian Removal were 'harsh' to say the least.  He actually got a chance to sit and interview Robert Remini who is considered the preeminent Jacksonian expert.  I read a ton of his stuff in college, but I was always critical of Remini's apologist mindset towards Jackson.  Claude and I have argued that a time or two.  

If you want a signed copy I'm sure I can get you one!  My sister in law is coming next week to watch our dogs while we're in FL. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

must be frustrating as fuck to be in that camp. 
    They are political orphans.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Well that's right.  His policies on slavery and Indian Removal were 'harsh' to say the least.  He actually got a chance to sit and interview Robert Remini who is considered the preeminent Jacksonian expert.  I read a ton of his stuff in college, but I was always critical of Remini's apologist mindset towards Jackson.  Claude and I have argued that a time or two.  

If you want a signed copy I'm sure I can get you one!  My sister in law is coming next week to watch our dogs while we're in FL. 

just got the audiobook version...

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    the gop is the white grievance party. they have no ideas other than to be angry at everything they disagree with. it shows a stunning lack of maturity. all they want to do is punch down on people that need protection, such as lgbtq community, immigrants, and other minority groups. it is really disgusting. the cruelty of that party is really something.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    the gop is the white grievance party. they have no ideas other than to be angry at everything they disagree with. it shows a stunning lack of maturity. all they want to do is punch down on people that need protection, such as lgbtq community, immigrants, and other minority groups. it is really disgusting. the cruelty of that party is really something.
    You are 100% correct.
    They are afraid of anything that isn't white, "christian", and predominantly male and wealthy. 
    It is this fear, hate, and ignorance that drives them.
    Not to mention the fear of white people being replaced. Which is going to happen eventually.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    You are 100% correct.
    They are afraid of anything that isn't white, "christian", and predominantly male and wealthy. 
    Not to mention the fear of white people being replaced. Which is going to happen eventually.
    case in point 193 of them voted against reducing the price of insulin yesterday. why?

cruelty.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    You are 100% correct.
    case in point 193 of them voted against reducing the price of insulin yesterday. why?

cruelty.
    Cuz they believe in monopolies charging whatever they want, thinking it's free market capitalism. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    You are 100% correct.

cruelty.
    For the bullshit excuse that it didn’t accommodate folks without health insurance but they’re not interested in expanding Obamacare or offering solutions to fill that gap, like a health plan better, greater, and less expensive than Obamacare. They are bereft of ideas and solutions to any challenge facing this country.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    You are 100% correct.

cruelty.
    And greed always greed.

Remember these are the same people, including their voting base, that wants to reduce taxes for the wealthiest Americans and raise taxes for the lower and middle class taxpayers. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    You are 100% correct.

cruelty.
    Cuz they believe in monopolies charging whatever they want, thinking it's free market capitalism. 
    It's funny to see them whine about how much Pfizer has made on the vaccine..."Big Pharma." These fuckers have been in Big Pharma's pockets forever.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    You are 100% correct.

cruelty.
    Unfortunately they only believe in capitalism when it suits their political need.  I'd be interested to hear why some voted against the bill. I'm not sure all that's in it.

But when it comes to the MAGAsphere, the cruelty truly is the point. 

I don't hang that on all the GOP, but certainly a percentage. 
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    You are 100% correct.

cruelty.
    or maybe it's this:

Other GOP members on the panel pointed to a Congressional Budget Office analysis released Wednesday that appeared to back up insurers’ arguments. The CBO predicts the measure would cost the federal government more than $6 billion over a decade because it would likely force insurers to raise premiums. That would increase government subsidies paid through the Affordable Care Act and decrease income tax revenue because workers would spend more of their wages on their employers’ health plans.

The price of medicine is a concern but isn't what is said above concern as well? We shouldn't just be passing bills that help one group but then harm another. These things needs to be well thought out and there are concerns that this isn't.
  • Options

Hinson says she doesn’t like the other costs that go with the bill. “It’s a serious issue we should be tackling here in Congress in a bipartisan way. It was disheartening for me to see Democrats and Speaker Pelosi move forward with this legislation — because it will raise premiums for over 200 million Americans,” Hinson says.

Republican Congressman Randy Feenstra voted against the bill, while Republican Marianette Miller-Meeks and Democrat Cindy Axne voted for it. Hinson says the bill gives too much control to the government.

“It also sets a dangerous precedent here that the governor should be able to control in the private sector the price of medications that Americans need,” she says. Hinson says the favors another bill that includes several bipartisan provisions. “It caps seniors out of pocket for insulin at 50 dollars per month, and it also allows our high-deductible health insurance plans to cover insulin before the deductible kicks in. So, the Lower Cost More Cures Act is a policy of again, 40 bipartisan provisions,” Hinson says. “And that’s the direction we should be moving, not passing on that premium increase to more than 200 million Americans.”

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,478
    edited April 2022
    You are 100% correct.

cruelty.
    They'll likely blame it on how much it will add to the deficit. They care about things like this when Democrats are in power but totally look the other way when they have control and are looking at giving the wealthiest Americans tax breaks, as evidenced by the record spending of the Trump administration

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans-to-reduce-national-debt-4114401

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I was going to say. I love when R's claim to give a shit about taxpayer money. complete bollocks. they just care who it goes to: their friends and family, donors, and themselves. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was going to say. I love when R's claim to give a shit about taxpayer money. complete bollocks. they just care who it goes to: their friends and family, donors, and themselves. 
    I'm not a friend, family, donor or a politician but I respect when politicians are concerned about how their actions could effect my income. I don't want those that have to pay for insulin to be taken advantage of but I also don't want to have to pay for their insulin or have higher premiums.

There are bipartisan ideas out here and the one I referenced above is here: https://www.gop.gov/morecures/ 

Why is the Democrat plan better than the Republican plan? Having a Democrat majority is not a viable answer.
  • Options
    The hypocrisy knows no end. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    I'm not a friend, family, donor or a politician but I respect when politicians are concerned about how their actions could effect my income. I don't want those that have to pay for insulin to be taken advantage of but I also don't want to have to pay for their insulin or have higher premiums.

There are bipartisan ideas out here and the one I referenced above is here: https://www.gop.gov/morecures/ 

Why is the Democrat plan better than the Republican plan? Having a Democrat majority is not a viable answer.
    but, like I said, R's only care when it suits their needs, and I find many R voters are the same (as you just stated above-you want people who need insulin to have to pay out the nose for it-but you don't want to help-I do). Sure, D's spend, but often it's of benefit of the people, not (as often) the rich. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JB16057 said:

but, like I said, R's only care when it suits their needs, and I find many R voters are the same (as you just stated above-you want people who need insulin to have to pay out the nose for it-but you don't want to help-I do). Sure, D's spend, but often it's of benefit of the people, not (as often) the rich. 
    There are other options than forcing everyone to pay for insulin. I don't have extra money to give anyone. I pay sky high premiums for my insurance and I only have 1 option available to me. I can't afford my premiums to go up because many in America overindulge and then have to take insulin.

Although not everyone with type 2 diabetes is overweight, obesity and an inactive lifestyle are two of the most common causes of type 2 diabetes. These things are responsible for about 90% to 95% of diabetes cases in the United States.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    you don't usually need insulin for type 2. you need it for type 1, which is not caused by obesity. it's autoimmune. and without out it, people die. and with it, some people go bankrupt. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    thank god I live in canada where my daughter's autoimmune therapy, which costs $5,000 every six weeks, is covered. I don't have to worry about people not wanting to help out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2022
    thank god I live in canada where my daughter's autoimmune therapy, which costs $5,000 every six weeks, is covered. I don't have to worry about people not wanting to help out. 
    For thread integrity, I wonder what/who is preventing us from obtaining a similar kind of healthcare system down here...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    For thread integrity, I wonder what/who is preventing us from obtaining a similar kind of healthcare system down here...
    Private insurance companies and their shareholders would be my best guess
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden