GOP

Comments

• I knew I should have said crossed wires "on my part". lol
    Gotcha. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,690
    mickeyrat said:
    Do these senators have any justification for voting no... besides trying to cause chaos while Biden is in office, that is? 

Honest question, because from all appearances the GOP seems intent on running the country into the ground. 
    hawley and schmitt are firebrand prolifers, so of course they are going to support tuberville and maga no matter what.
    I wonder if someone from the 'both sides' crowd could explain to me how this is just politics as usual. 
    I don't think there's anything wrong with simply asking "did (whichever "team") stuff the bill with other items that (the other "team") legitimately don't believe in?". But in this case, I can't see any justification for voting no. 
    No, there's nothing wrong with asking it, but having said that... how much more do we need to see out of the modern day GOP before we accept that they've become a party of extremists? 

How much more do we need to see before people wake up and realize this isn't politics as normal, and no... both sides are not the same? 

It's all about MAGA/ the far right basically saying "I want the kitchen to be painted the way I like it or I'll burn the whole goddamn house down".  I'm critical of both parties, but the republican party has caved into extremists who don't really have an "agenda" other than stirring the shit for the sake of stirring the shit.  Only they are the shit.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyrat said:
    Do these senators have any justification for voting no... besides trying to cause chaos while Biden is in office, that is? 

Honest question, because from all appearances the GOP seems intent on running the country into the ground. 
    They’ve extended the play book put into place by Moscow Mitchy Baby whereas “our number one priority is to see this administration fail.” Except back then it was a dog whistle but now it’s who they are. Steve O pulls the strings in alignment with Grover Norquist and others, Mikey Flynn, in dismantling the “administrative state.” These folks are dangerous to the constitution and our democratic “norms.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • I do know what a confirmation hearing entails. However, I took Merkin's post to mean the "both sidesing" of stuffing bills, because I've personally never come across a "both sidesing" of confirmation hearings. I think it was a simple case of crossed wires. 
    No crossed wires at all... People jump to the defense of the GOP in the face of bad behavior / decisions / votes by crying 'both sides' on a regular basis, and I was genuinely curious if someone who thinks both sides are the same wanted to explain the 'no' votes on this confirmation hearing. 
    Aaaaaand this is what I mean if you all think somebody on here is going against dems or for the rep you just eat them alive.

All I was doing is sticking up for Hugh but because you THOUGHT I was defending the GOP the questions come...

If somebody has to be defensive then yes, it looks like an attack I'd say.  Again, going against the grain here doesn't go well.
  • mickeyrat said:

They’ve extended the play book put into place by Moscow Mitchy Baby whereas “our number one priority is to see this administration fail.” Except back then it was a dog whistle but now it’s who they are. Steve O pulls the strings in alignment with Grover Norquist and others, Mikey Flynn, in dismantling the “administrative state.” These folks are dangerous to the constitution and our democratic “norms.”
    It falls along the lines of when Obama was President and all the Reps did was vote no.  I believe this is how they got the name the "Do Nothings"
  • brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

hawley and schmitt are firebrand prolifers, so of course they are going to support tuberville and maga no matter what.
    I wonder if someone from the 'both sides' crowd could explain to me how this is just politics as usual. 
    I don't think there's anything wrong with simply asking "did (whichever "team") stuff the bill with other items that (the other "team") legitimately don't believe in?". But in this case, I can't see any justification for voting no. 
    No, there's nothing wrong with asking it, but having said that... how much more do we need to see out of the modern day GOP before we accept that they've become a party of extremists? 

How much more do we need to see before people wake up and realize this isn't politics as normal, and no... both sides are not the same? 

It's all about MAGA/ the far right basically saying "I want the kitchen to be painted the way I like it or I'll burn the whole goddamn house down".  I'm critical of both parties, but the republican party has caved into extremists who don't really have an "agenda" other than stirring the shit for the sake of stirring the shit.  Only they are the shit.
    Totally agree....the old "both sides do it" thing is bullshit now. Sometimes I wish the dems would fight back with similar tactics but to some degree it is impossible if you have any honesty/empathy in your bones.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    I do know what a confirmation hearing entails. However, I took Merkin's post to mean the "both sidesing" of stuffing bills, because I've personally never come across a "both sidesing" of confirmation hearings. I think it was a simple case of crossed wires. 
    No crossed wires at all... People jump to the defense of the GOP in the face of bad behavior / decisions / votes by crying 'both sides' on a regular basis, and I was genuinely curious if someone who thinks both sides are the same wanted to explain the 'no' votes on this confirmation hearing. 
    just to revisit this comment; I don't know that I see people jumping to the defense of the GOP for those things. What I do see, however, is that whenever I or anyone else criticize the democratic party, it immediately gets met with whataboutism like "how is that worse than what the GOP is doing with (insert GOP evil here)". I wish people could admit that both can be true. Yes, I consider the GOP to be a thousand times worse, but sometimes there are honestly things the D's can be rightfully criticized for without it being dismissed outright just because they are the other side is worse. I have two kids. If I only called out the behaviour of the "worst" kid, and never the one that is usually great but sometimes missteps, what kind of parent would I be?

You leave either party unchecked for two long, before they long they take liberties you weren't expecting once they have the power you always wished they had. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• I do know what a confirmation hearing entails. However, I took Merkin's post to mean the "both sidesing" of stuffing bills, because I've personally never come across a "both sidesing" of confirmation hearings. I think it was a simple case of crossed wires. 
    just to revisit this comment; I don't know that I see people jumping to the defense of the GOP for those things. What I do see, however, is that whenever I or anyone else criticize the democratic party, it immediately gets met with whataboutism like "how is that worse than what the GOP is doing with (insert GOP evil here)". I wish people could admit that both can be true. Yes, I consider the GOP to be a thousand times worse, but sometimes there are honestly things the D's can be rightfully criticized for without it being dismissed outright just because they are the other side is worse. I have two kids. If I only called out the behaviour of the "worst" kid, and never the one that is usually great but sometimes missteps, what kind of parent would I be?

You leave either party unchecked for two long, before they long they take liberties you weren't expecting once they have the power you always wished they had. 

The democrats have no shortage of issues and problems. No argument there. Having said that, the GOP is actively trying to put a seditious authoritarian back into the white house, so yeah... I'm pretty tired of hearing about both sides. 
    Aaaaaand this is what I mean if you all think somebody on here is going against dems or for the rep you just eat them alive.

All I was doing is sticking up for Hugh but because you THOUGHT I was defending the GOP the questions come...

If somebody has to be defensive then yes, it looks like an attack I'd say.  Again, going against the grain here doesn't go well.
    Spare me the victimhood... I wasn't talking to or about you here. If I was I would have quoted you. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    I do know what a confirmation hearing entails. However, I took Merkin's post to mean the "both sidesing" of stuffing bills, because I've personally never come across a "both sidesing" of confirmation hearings. I think it was a simple case of crossed wires. 
    They would say both sides do these theatrics and point out when dems pushed back on confirmations, starting with Robert Bork and moving forward from there. 

The democrats have no shortage of issues and problems. No argument there. Having said that, the GOP is actively trying to put a seditious authoritarian back into the white house, so yeah... I'm pretty tired of hearing about both sides. 
    it's not "both sidesing" if it's a criticism independent of anything someone said about the GOP. 

www.headstonesband.com

Defensive? How about “clarifying?” Which occurred. How about this, try making your point as clear as possible before you, you in the general sense, post it? Some of us are really stupid, talking about me, and HFC’s post was in the context of a confirmation vote and not an appropriations vote. The clarification they subsequently made was referring to posts a page or further back. Adding context to a post is not an “attack.” Maybe to you it is? Because the OP feels “defensive.”

Going against the grain here is fine but be prepared to be challenged on your assumptions and to back up your argument or assumptions. It gets hot in the kitchen and if you can’t stand the heat………… 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Totally agree....the old "both sides do it" thing is bullshit now. Sometimes I wish the dems would fight back with similar tactics but to some degree it is impossible if you have any honesty/empathy in your bones.

Agreed, fighting back harder sounds right, but how?  I don't want to make a big issue of the whole clothes thing, but I don't think showing up to the Senate chamber in gym clothing as a show of rebellion is the way to go.  Playing games like middle school children is not what we need.  We need tough, decisive action.  But again, how?  The main fault is the hard right, but the entire party at these higher levels is culpable because none of the Republicans have the balls to step up to the radicals in their party.  The whole damn party (with the exception of the fringe Lincoln Project folks) has gone into the shitter and they are making a farce of our political system.  It's both disgraceful and disgusting. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed, fighting back harder sounds right, but how?  I don't want to make a big issue of the whole clothes thing, but I don't think showing up to the Senate chamber in gym clothing as a show of rebellion is the way to go.  Playing games like middle school children is not what we need.  We need tough, decisive action.  But again, how?  The main fault is the hard right, but the entire party at these higher levels is culpable because none of the Republicans have the balls to step up to the radicals in their party.  The whole damn party (with the exception of the fringe Lincoln Project folks) has gone into the shitter and they are making a farce of our political system.  It's both disgraceful and disgusting. 
    Funny! The right can say the exact same thing about the left. All you have to do is switch out the Rs and replace with Ds. The hypocrisy is SO entertaining.  The left are a joke. Absolute joke. Proven daily. 

FJB! Everything the left touches turns to shit. Fact!
    and yet, you have NEVER ONCE given one example. stop trolling. 

www.headstonesband.com

Defensive? How about “clarifying?” Which occurred. How about this, try making your point as clear as possible before you, you in the general sense, post it? Some of us are really stupid, talking about me, and HFC’s post was in the context of a confirmation vote and not an appropriations vote. The clarification they subsequently made was referring to posts a page or further back. Adding context to a post is not an “attack.” Maybe to you it is? Because the OP feels “defensive.”

Going against the grain here is fine but be prepared to be challenged on your assumptions and to back up your argument or assumptions. It gets hot in the kitchen and if you can’t stand the heat………… 
    What am I being challenged about?  I made a statement.  I add context but you still attack it.  See how that works?  It doesn't.  You're always right.  That's all.  You get called out on stuff al the time and never so you're wrong.  You must be Mr Right!

Spare me the victimhood... I wasn't talking to or about you here. If I was I would have quoted you. 
    Just proving a point is all.

Thank you for that!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,396
    edited September 2023

What am I being challenged about?  I made a statement.  I add context but you still attack it.  See how that works?  It doesn't.  You're always right.  That's all.  You get called out on stuff al the time and never so you're wrong.  You must be Mr Right!
    You’re not, in this instance. You claimed another poster was being “attacked.” 

It’s true, I get called out all the time and I defend my position(s). I don’t take it as an “attack.” I take it as rigorous debate. 
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
  • brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

they are doing this because trump is telling them to do this. he wants them to burn it all down so he can be the king of the ashes.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • you can't both sides "one party is trying to do what is right for the country" and "the other party is shutting things down just to be dicks".

it is impossible to equate both parties at this point. 
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    again, sigh, no one is EQUATING THEM

www.headstonesband.com

• again, sigh, no one is EQUATING THEM
    lol, see what happens.

It’s true, I get called out all the time and I defend my position(s). I don’t take it as an “attack.” I take it as rigorous debate. 
    I'll call  it a pile on.  It's not a debate when one side doesn't yield or have the ability to even bend.  You're an oak not a palm.

I'll call  it a pile on.  It's not a debate when one side doesn't yield or have the ability to even bend.  You're an oak not a palm.
    You’re not a window but a pane. See? Should I girder myself for another football analogy? You’re fumbling so far.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,864
    They would say both sides do these theatrics and point out when dems pushed back on confirmations, starting with Robert Bork and moving forward from there. 

History shows balking at Bork was jusified, no? More of his speeches, writing, views have come out since that clearly show an unfitness? No?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Funny! The right can say the exact same thing about the left. All you have to do is switch out the Rs and replace with Ds. The hypocrisy is SO entertaining.  The left are a joke. Absolute joke. Proven daily. 

FJB! Everything the left touches turns to shit. Fact!

Yawn... 

So anyway, back to reality...  this is from Heather Cox Richardson's letter this evening and it really hits the nail on the head:

"Jennifer Rubin of the Washington Post focused on the House Republicans today, though, when she wrote: “The GOP completely gone off its rocker—incapable of passing House spending, ranting and raving at AG, cooking up ludicrous and baseless impeachment, unable to greet Zelensky with joint session. This is not normal. This is egregious. You'd think the reporting would reflect it.”"

And that's a mighty strange reality, hard to fathom, but this is where we are at:  a Republican party that has not only become completely unhinged and lost it's wheels, but pretty much lost it's mind and is willing to set the whole place on fire with everyone in it including themselves.  Again it's that, "If we can't win, we'll just destroy everything in sight including our own well being."

Fools.