Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,623
    edited September 2022

New Yorkers have a right to be mad about tax dollars going to the under privileged, they need that money to pay for NYPD misconduct settlements. 

According to the Legal Aid Society, the NYPD paid out almost $68M in the first 7 months of 2022 alone. 

https://legalaidnyc.org/news/data-nypd-settlements-cost-taxpayers-68-million-2022/#:~:text=Already This Year-,Data: NYPD Settlements Have Cost Taxpayers $68 Million Already This,2022, as reported by Gothamist.

"This amount surpasses the $62,093,491 paid out in all of 2020 and only falls roughly 624,000 short of the payout for the entirety of 2019. At this rate, the City potentially payout over $115 million for calendar year 2022."
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options

New Yorkers have a right to be mad about tax dollars going to the under privileged, they need that money to pay for NYPD misconduct settlements. 

According to the Legal Aid Society, the NYPD paid out almost $68M in the first 7 months of 2022 alone. 

https://legalaidnyc.org/news/data-nypd-settlements-cost-taxpayers-68-million-2022/#:~:text=Already This Year-,Data: NYPD Settlements Have Cost Taxpayers $68 Million Already This,2022, as reported by Gothamist.

"This amount surpasses the $62,093,491 paid out in all of 2020 and only falls roughly 624,000 short of the payout for the entirety of 2019. At this rate, the City potentially payout over $115 million for calendar year 2022."
    And people are complaining that they still feel unsafe on the streets and subways here...

I get there are bad cops and lawsuits are proof of that.
  • Options

And people are complaining that they still feel unsafe on the streets and subways here...

Of course they feel unsafe, they have to worry about getting beaten up by crooks AND the cops.

I kid... sort of. 
  • Options

Of course they feel unsafe, they have to worry about getting beaten up by crooks AND the cops.

I kid... sort of. 
    lol, that's not it.  They want more police presence.  Mayor Adams says he will do something but lets see.  Our homeless and mental health of them has grown a lot worse since I moved back here.
  • Options

I kid... sort of. 
    lol, that's not it.  They want more police presence.  Mayor Adams says he will do something but lets see.  Our homeless and mental health of them has grown a lot worse since I moved back here.
    I know crimes an issue. I'm not arguing that.

My point is conservatives get angrier about tax dollars going to the under privileged than to paying out settlements for police misconduct. 

That's all. 
  • Options

I kid... sort of. 

My point is conservatives get angrier about tax dollars going to the under privileged than to paying out settlements for police misconduct. 

That's all. 
    You could be angry at both but yeah, they back the blue.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,766

I kid... sort of. 

That's all. 
    Do you live in Manhattan?
  • Options

I kid... sort of. 

That's all. 
    The Capitol Police would like a word. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    Who here is surprised?

Opinion 

Just how racist is the MAGA movement? This survey measures it.
    It has long been understood that the MAGA movement is heavily dependent on White grievance and straight-up racism. (Hence Donald Trump’s refusal to disavow racist groups and his statement that there were “very fine people on both sides” in the violent clashes at the white-supremacist rally in Charlottesville.)

Now, we have numbers to prove it.

The connection between racism and the right-wing movement is apparent in a new poll from the Public Religion Research Institute. The survey asked respondents about 11 statements designed to probe views on racism. For example: “White Americans today are not responsible for discrimination against Black people in the past.” The pollsters then used their answers to quantify a “structural racism index,” which provides a general score from zero to 1 measuring a person’s attitudes on “white supremacy and racial inequality, the impact of discrimination on African American economic mobility, the treatment of African Americans in the criminal justice system, general perceptions of race, and whether racism is still significant problem today.” Higher scores indicate a more receptive attitude to racist beliefs.

The results shouldn’t surprise anyone paying attention to the MAGA crowd’s rhetoric and veneration of the Confederacy. “Among all Americans, the median value on the structural racism index is 0.45, near the center of the scale,” the poll found. “The median score on the structural racism index for Republicans is 0.67, compared with 0.45 for independents and 0.27 for Democrats.” Put differently, Republicans are much more likely to buy into the notion that Whites are victims.

The poll also found that the religious group that makes up the core of today’s GOP and MAGA movement has the highest structural racism measure among the demographics it surveyed: “White evangelical Protestants have the highest median score, at 0.64, while Latter-day Saints, white Catholics, and white mainline Protestants each have a median of 0.55. By contrast, religiously unaffiliated white Americans score 0.33.” This is true even though Whites report far less discrimination toward them than racial minorities do.

The survey also captured just how popular the “Lost Cause” to rewrite the history of the Civil War and downplay or ignore the evil of slavery is on the right: “Republicans overwhelmingly back efforts to preserve the legacy of the Confederacy (85%), compared with less than half of independents (46%) and only one in four Democrats (26%). The contrast between white Republicans and white Democrats is stark. Nearly nine in 10 white Republicans (87%), compared with 23% of white Democrats, support efforts to preserve the legacy of the Confederacy.”

Americans who fully support reforming Confederate monuments have a much lower structural racism index score, while those who oppose it have a much higher score. The same is true when it comes to renaming schools honoring individuals who supported slavery and racial discrimination or changing racist mascots.

Those who want to keep Confederate monuments and offensive mascots in place might deny that their views have anything to do bigotry, but then again, they often deny the legacy of racism and paint Whites as victims, too. In general, MAGA forces have one goal when they amplify “replacement theory” or fuss over corporations promoting inclusivity: to maximize White anger and resentment.

Robert P. Jones, who leads PRRI, tells me, “While this result may seem surprising or even shocking to many White Christians, it is because we do not know our own history. If we take a clear-eyed look at our history, we see a widespread, centuries-long Christian defense of white supremacy.” He adds, “For example, every major Protestant Christian denomination split over the issue of slavery in the Civil War, with Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, and Baptists in the South all breaking fellowship with their Northern brethren.” Given that history, Jones says, “it’s hardly a surprise that a denial of systemic racism is a defining feature of White evangelicalism today.”

The PRRI poll shows the MAGA movement has done a solid job convincing the core of the GOP base that they are victims. And let’s be clear: An aggrieved electoral minority that believes it has been victimized and is ready to deploy violence is a serious threat to an inclusive democracy.

I read someone say this in an op-ed here in NY. I forget which newspaper.   I'll paraphrase.

"the middle income brackets have had to pay out more and more in taxes to help the underprivileged.  There is nothing wrong with that but when is that going to help us the middle class improve our lives further?  Paying out and no return isn't fair."

This is a common view I would say among the MAGA groups.  Fix this way of thinking and it would get better I would think.

Yeah.  They just don’t see how the top earners not paying their share gets pushed on to them.

the richest people aren’t wage earners. Capital gains rates are half the tax rate of a wage earner
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    That’s a party we should all get behind.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjB8I43pLO6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,905
    The GOP, "we're against big government... except when we're not":
    "As a newly elected congress member in 2013, now-governor of Florida Ron DeSantis was one of the 67 House Republicans who voted against a $9.7 billion federal flood insurance assistance package for the victims of Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey. Now, with Florida on the ropes, DeSantis asked President Joe Biden for an emergency declaration to free up federal money and federal help even before the storm hit, and said Tuesday, “We all need to work together, regardless of party lines.”

From Heather's letter.  See Mickey's Heather thread.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

I kid... sort of. 

That's all. 
    Do you live in Manhattan?
    Long Island.  I work there though.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    "As a newly elected congress member in 2013, now-governor of Florida Ron DeSantis was one of the 67 House Republicans who voted against a $9.7 billion federal flood insurance assistance package for the victims of Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey. Now, with Florida on the ropes, DeSantis asked President Joe Biden for an emergency declaration to free up federal money and federal help even before the storm hit, and said Tuesday, “We all need to work together, regardless of party lines.”

I have to defend him on this as no one ever says why they voted No, and just that he voted no.  He wanted cuts from other programs to fund that one and when the bill was brought forth as added debt he voted no.

I do wonder though if any federal money he accepts is added debt?  If that is the case then I would definitely report all of that and bury him.
  • Options
    That’s a party we should all get behind.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjB8I43pLO6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    Jeeeze.  There are some doozies in there!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I have to defend him on this as no one ever says why they voted No, and just that he voted no.  He wanted cuts from other programs to fund that one and when the bill was brought forth as added debt he voted no.

I do wonder though if any federal money he accepts is added debt?  If that is the case then I would definitely report all of that and bury him.
    Maybe that $12 million he spent flying migrants from Tejas to Martha’s Vineyard could have been better spent in Flo Rida on hurricane damage preparedness/relief? Fuck Deathsantis and his POOTWH gonna be ambitions.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Maybe that $12 million he spent flying migrants from Tejas to Martha’s Vineyard could have been better spent in Flo Rida on hurricane damage preparedness/relief? Fuck Deathsantis and his POOTWH gonna be ambitions.
    That migrant issue is crazy 

my understanding is they are asylum seekers.  In that they did it the correct way.

they aren’t random people who crossed over the southern border through the desert 

seems odd to make an immigration publicity stunt out of people who lawfully presented themselves at a port of entry 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Whataboutism...  I believe it was 1.2 million and not 12 but I see your point.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

my understanding is they are asylum seekers.  In that they did it the correct way.

they aren’t random people who crossed over the southern border through the desert 

seems odd to make an immigration publicity stunt out of people who lawfully presented themselves at a port of entry 

F'ing with brown immigrants seems odd to you?

It 100% tracks with who the GOP is. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,927
    edited September 2022
    brianlux said:

Revisionist history much?

A platoon of Texas lawmakers who voted against aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy in 2013 are scurrying to explain their votes in advance of being asked to vote for the same relief in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

The explanation they’ve crafted almost unanimously to avoid being tagged as hypocrites is that they favored Sandy relief, but the bill they were presented as senators and representatives was filled with unrelated pork. As supporters of fiscal responsibility, you see, they simply couldn’t in good conscience vote for the $50.5-billion relief measure.

Don’t believe them. According to an incredibly detailed analysis performed in 2013 by the Congressional Research Service, virtually every cent of the Sandy relief bill was related to damage from that storm.

Two-thirds of that bill had nothing to do with Sandy.

— Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) voices a rank untruth about a Sandy relief bill

Nevertheless, both of the state’s senators and all but one of its 24 GOP members of Congress voted against the Sandy relief bill. Depicting the bill as a side of pork is their story, and they’re sticking to it.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-sandy-pork-20170830-story.html

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,927
    edited September 2022
    brianlux said:

The Republican-held Florida legislature approved a state budget earlier this year giving DeSantis $12m for a program to deport migrants, although the Wednesday flights appeared to have originated in Texas and it was unclear if the occupants had ever been in Florida.

Other details are similarly opaque. Florida has provided no information about who the migrants are or how they were chosen, or about the logistics of the operation including the private company receiving Florida taxpayer money to fly them.

The Florida congressman Charlie Crist, the Democrat seeking to oust DeSantis in November’s midterms, blasted the move as a “heartless political stunt” intended to bolster his opponent’s wider ambitions.

“Everything Ron DeSantis does is to score political points with his hard-right base in a thinly veiled attempt to run for president, but it’s Floridians who pay the price,” Crist said in a statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/15/ron-desantis-migrants-marthas-vineyard

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    brianlux said:

F'ing with brown immigrants seems odd to you?

It 100% tracks with who the GOP is. 
    They pretend to not be anti immigration just the illegal kind. Or so they say literally all the time 

This sort of proves that wrong.  Nevermind the fact that legal immigration has been made near impossible from a lot of places so illegal is the only reasonable option.  

There should be nothing wrong with asylum seekers no matter your party. A judge will evaluate the claim 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

The Republican-held Florida legislature approved a state budget earlier this year giving DeSantis $12m for a program to deport migrants, although the Wednesday flights appeared to have originated in Texas and it was unclear if the occupants had ever been in Florida.

Other details are similarly opaque. Florida has provided no information about who the migrants are or how they were chosen, or about the logistics of the operation including the private company receiving Florida taxpayer money to fly them.

The Florida congressman Charlie Crist, the Democrat seeking to oust DeSantis in November’s midterms, blasted the move as a “heartless political stunt” intended to bolster his opponent’s wider ambitions.

“Everything Ron DeSantis does is to score political points with his hard-right base in a thinly veiled attempt to run for president, but it’s Floridians who pay the price,” Crist said in a statement.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:

A platoon of Texas lawmakers who voted against aid for victims of Hurricane Sandy in 2013 are scurrying to explain their votes in advance of being asked to vote for the same relief in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

The explanation they’ve crafted almost unanimously to avoid being tagged as hypocrites is that they favored Sandy relief, but the bill they were presented as senators and representatives was filled with unrelated pork. As supporters of fiscal responsibility, you see, they simply couldn’t in good conscience vote for the $50.5-billion relief measure.

Don’t believe them. According to an incredibly detailed analysis performed in 2013 by the Congressional Research Service, virtually every cent of the Sandy relief bill was related to damage from that storm.

Nevertheless, both of the state’s senators and all but one of its 24 GOP members of Congress voted against the Sandy relief bill. Depicting the bill as a side of pork is their story, and they’re sticking to it.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-sandy-pork-20170830-story.html

It's almost as if people who lie all the time, lie all the time.

They show us on a regular basis who they are, yet people still extend the benefit of the doubt to them because reasons. 
  • Options
    So it wasn’t $12 million to fly them from Tejas to Martha’s Vineyard, in violation of Flo Rida law, mind you, but it was hypocritical political stunt over addressing “reality.”

I look forward to hearing him grovel about how he alone and Flo Rida’s tax dollars fixed everything so he should be POTUS. Big shoulder suits and lots of hand motions whilst speaking will take you places.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Score political points while simultaneously f'ing w/ brown immigrants who dared come to America seeking asylum? 

That's a win / win for the GOP. 

God bless America. 
  • Options
    I’ve figured out the genius of the repubs 1/6 stop the steal, election fraud authoritarianism. It’s pretty simple, really. Turn the US of A into a banana republic and those brown migrants south of the border won’t want to come here. Why flee one banana republic for another, right? Genius.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Revisionist me?  No, I actually brought up this point in an earlier comment.  The bill was added debt which they voted against.  Which I then asked if the emergency money they just asked for was adding to debt because if so that IS hypocritical.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Score political points while simultaneously f'ing w/ brown immigrants who dared come to America seeking asylum? 

God bless America. 
    So talking to my right leaning friends about this they are all in agreement that the libs at Marthas are all hypocritical because they didn't want them there and were removed to another area.

They have ZERO problem about people being flown about the country as political pawns.

Every time I bring that up they throw another whataboutism at me and never answer the question i asked.  "Why isn't anyone angry about sending people across the country with no regard to them as people?!?"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,275
    brianlux said:

God bless America. 
    So talking to my right leaning friends about this they are all in agreement that the libs at Marthas are all hypocritical because they didn't want them there and were removed to another area.

They have ZERO problem about people being flown about the country as political pawns.

Every time I bring that up they throw another whataboutism at me and never answer the question i asked.  "Why isn't anyone angry about sending people across the country with no regard to them as people?!?"
    Does MV have the social services infrastructure necessary to help anyone in the first place?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

God bless America. 

Does MV have the social services infrastructure necessary to help anyone in the first place?

No, it doesn’t… they relocated them to a military base on Cape Cod that was better suited to accommodate them, but that’s irrelevant to ignorant people. Nothing matters expect owning libs, and if you can exploit brown people in the process? All the better.