Options

Discogs

Comments

• Options
    Other than insurance purposes, its kinda pointless. I'm never gonna sell the collection as a whole, only in pieces (usually individual records). And at that point, I'll only care about the individual records value. Also, Its priceless to me, so the values are kinda worthless TBH. 

• Options
    I'm BigDuke6 on discogs if anybody wants to see what will be in the Uhaul trailer that my hearse will towing when I die. 
  • Options
    Other than insurance purposes, its kinda pointless. I'm never gonna sell the collection as a whole, only in pieces (usually individual records). And at that point, I'll only care about the individual records value. Also, Its priceless to me, so the values are kinda worthless TBH. 

The insurance purpose is the most important purpose. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627

It is, agreed.  But the community aspect of reviews of pressings is super important to me.  I always read through those when purchasing, particularly original copies of albums.  
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:

It is, agreed.  But the community aspect of reviews of pressings is super important to me.  I always read through those when purchasing, particularly original copies of albums.  
    Oh, I was just talking about cataloguing my collection. The insurance purpose is the only reason I do it (although a Benny is way undervalued on there).
    There is a lot of great info on Discogs. I wish the app would let you look at the reviews. 
    I scan barcodes in the record store to see what a record is worth before buying it. Been able to save a few bucks or score a decent deal 👍 

I’m done buying from US sellers unless it’s a grail unfortunately. Shipping costs from the US are ridiculous. I search for Canadian sellers exclusively or certain European countries with reasonable shipping charges (Germany for example).
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Oh, I was just talking about cataloguing my collection. The insurance purpose is the only reason I do it (although a Benny is way undervalued on there).
    There is a lot of great info on Discogs. I wish the app would let you look at the reviews. 
    I scan barcodes in the record store to see what a record is worth before buying it. Been able to save a few bucks or score a decent deal 👍 

I’m done buying from US sellers unless it’s a grail unfortunately. Shipping costs from the US are ridiculous. I search for Canadian sellers exclusively or certain European countries with reasonable shipping charges (Germany for example).
    Yeah the app is worthless.  When it launched I thought it would be good, but it doesn't do what I need it to do.  I want to see runout info, reviews, ratings, and prices.  
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah the app is worthless.  When it launched I thought it would be good, but it doesn't do what I need it to do.  I want to see runout info, reviews, ratings, and prices.  
    The best part of the app for me is quick checks of what I have when I’m digging through stuff at the record store. Without it, I’d prolly have multiple copies of things I would have forgotten I even had. Lol
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683

I feel the same way.  I don't really care what the dollar value on my collection is because there isn't a single record in the bunch I have an interest in getting rid of (other than a few I would like to upgrade.)  My interest in its value for insurance purposes is very strong however.  We live in a high fire hazard area and if I lost my collection, I would hope to collect some insurance money to replace some of it. 

I really dread the prospect of this happening because it is highly unlikely I would be able to rebuild my collection as it now stands.  I would probably use some insurance money to replace what I could, but a lot of them would be very hard to find in like pressing and condition and some just flat out hard to find at all.  I would use the rest of the money for therapy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020
    brianlux said:

I feel the same way.  I don't really care what the dollar value on my collection is because there isn't a single record in the bunch I have an interest in getting rid of (other than a few I would like to upgrade.)  My interest in its value for insurance purposes is very strong however.  We live in a high fire hazard area and if I lost my collection, I would hope to collect some insurance money to replace some of it. 

I really dread the prospect of this happening because it is highly unlikely I would be able to rebuild my collection as it now stands.  I would probably use some insurance money to replace what I could, but a lot of them would be very hard to find in like pressing and condition and some just flat out hard to find at all.  I would use the rest of the money for therapy.
    I’ve been attempting to rebuild the collection I had as a teenager for many years now. My mom sold it, along with my stereo system and drum set, when I went to college.

Still so many missing from that time. Either too rare/expensive to replace (punk, hardcore, thrash titles especially) or the replacements that I’ve purchased just don’t sound as good as my OPs, which, of course, now fall into that first category. Also, there’s always new or new-to-me music that eats away at the budget. 

I think I only had Ten and Vs. from Pearl Jam at that point, and those were still not too pricey when I bought replacement OPs. 

The kids have my whole Pearl Jam collection right now. They are more into them than I am these days. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I’ve been attempting to rebuild the collection I had as a teenager for many years now. My mom sold it, along with my stereo system and drum set, when I went to college.

Still so many missing from that time. Either too rare/expensive to replace (punk, hardcore, thrash titles especially) or the replacements that I’ve purchased just don’t sound as good as my OPs, which, of course, now fall into that first category. Also, there’s always new or new-to-me music that eats away at the budget. 

I think I only had Ten and Vs. from Pearl Jam at that point, and those were still not too pricey when I bought replacement OPs. 

The kids have my whole Pearl Jam collection right now. They are more into them than I am these days. 

except for backspacer. amiright?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

except for backspacer. amiright?
    I only ever hear them put on Ten, and the boy plays “Evenflow” a lot. 

So I spend a lot of time in the bathroom. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I started doing the same thing several years ago.  Three things decimated my LP collection that dated back to my first record- a Beach Boys LP my sister gave me in 1964.  First, a box went missing in a move in the 70's.  Second, when CD's came out, I foolishly believed this was going to be a better way to listen to music so I sold off several albums and bought CDs (bad move!).  Third, when my life was derailed in 1993, I sold quite a few more records for practically nothing in order to eat.

It's taken me at least a couple of decades to recoup my losses, but besides a lot of things I've gotten during that time, I've replaced everything from those early years that I wish I had kept.  The one gaping hole was a good sounding Miles Davis Bitches Brew which I finally filled by coughing up the bucks for a sealed copy of 40th anniversary boxed set.

How close are you to rebuilding your collection?  Anything in particular that takes priority in doing so?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I find discogs helps me avoid duplicates.  There was a while I'd see an album, I've really been meaning to get a copy of that one, only to get home and see I already have a copy.  Sometimes it's hard to keep tracks.  Now I can pull up the app in the store and see if I own it already.

I do like being able to see collection value.  It did help me with deciding how much insurance to get on contents.   I'm not even sure you could buy all the records in my collection at the mid prices.   Many of the valuable ones don't move many copies, so the sales history is a bit dated.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I started doing the same thing several years ago.  Three things decimated my LP collection that dated back to my first record- a Beach Boys LP my sister gave me in 1964.  First, a box went missing in a move in the 70's.  Second, when CD's came out, I foolishly believed this was going to be a better way to listen to music so I sold off several albums and bought CDs (bad move!).  Third, when my life was derailed in 1993, I sold quite a few more records for practically nothing in order to eat.

It's taken me at least a couple of decades to recoup my losses, but besides a lot of things I've gotten during that time, I've replaced everything from those early years that I wish I had kept.  The one gaping hole was a good sounding Miles Davis Bitches Brew which I finally filled by coughing up the bucks for a sealed copy of 40th anniversary boxed set.

How close are you to rebuilding your collection?  Anything in particular that takes priority in doing so?
    I might be halfway there, maybe.

The first record I replaced was Deep Purple's Machine Head. I could never listen to that on compact disc. It just didn't sound right.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I might be halfway there, maybe.

The first record I replaced was Deep Purple's Machine Head. I could never listen to that on compact disc. It just didn't sound right.

I hope you get there! 

Yeah, I know what you mean about some CD's not sounding right.  To my ears, almost anything before the mid to late 90's on CD sounds grating and harsh.  I got rid of pretty much any CD pre-1998 or '99 and only use the ones I have in the car or if the record is unavailable on vinyl.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Man im the opposite.  The loudness wars ruined CDs for me after the late 90s.  

Ex:  Ten on the original CD is the best sounding version you can get.  Only the 94 vinyl can even come close to matching it.  
  • Options
    Got my first negative buyer rating on Discogs! 
    Hope people will still sell to me 😂😂😂😂

man you can’t escape the assholes no matter how hard you try. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Got my first negative buy7amer rating on Discogs! 

I chose not to appeal.

"buyer unreasonable"

I'munreasonable for expect the item you accepted payment to be mailed within 4 days. I'm unreasonable for complaining to discogs on day 8.
    stay away from nycvinyljunkie
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Ex:  Ten on the original CD is the best sounding version you can get.  Only the 94 vinyl can even come close to matching it.  

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of either.  I guess it's because with my hearing issues, I have to play everything at a moderate to low volume, so I don't notice the high compression issues.  The early CD's are hard for me because they are harsh and my ears can't tolerate the overly crisp sound.  If I had normal hearing, I would probably feel the same way you do.  And all of this is why my main source of listening is righ hear at home spinning vinyl!  :smile:

• Options
    brianlux said:

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of either.  I guess it's because with my hearing issues, I have to play everything at a moderate to low volume, so I don't notice the high compression issues.  The early CD's are hard for me because they are harsh and my ears can't tolerate the overly crisp sound.  If I had normal hearing, I would probably feel the same way you do.  And all of this is why my main source of listening is righ hear at home spinning vinyl!  :smile:
    I don't have ear issues but I'm also sensitive to cds like you.  Speakers with horns (like Klipsch) or certain tweeters give me fatigue pretty easily.  I also much prefer mellower amplifiers for the same reason.  I should probably move to tubes at some point as well. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I chose not to appeal.

"buyer unreasonable"

I'munreasonable for expect the item you accepted payment to be mailed within 4 days. I'm unreasonable for complaining to discogs on day 8.

10 neutral and 1 negative out of a little over 200 feedbacks for that seller is not good.  I rarely buy from anyone with less than 100% positive feedback unless it is obvious the negative feedback is uncalled for.  

It's tough both ways.  I've never sold on discogs but I have sold on eBay and I'm super paranoid about getting even a single negative feedback response.  I go to ridiculous measure to accurately describe an item, mail as soon as physically possible, and package the item so that if you drop it 20 or 30 feet, the contents will sustain no damage.  Selling is hard work (if it's done right) and buying is a crap shoot.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I chose not to appeal.

"buyer unreasonable"

10 neutral and 1 negative out of a little over 200 feedbacks for that seller is not good.  I rarely buy from anyone with less than 100% positive feedback unless it is obvious the negative feedback is uncalled for.  

It's tough both ways.  I've never sold on discogs but I have sold on eBay and I'm super paranoid about getting even a single negative feedback response.  I go to ridiculous measure to accurately describe an item, mail as soon as physically possible, and package the item so that if you drop it 20 or 30 feet, the contents will sustain no damage.  Selling is hard work (if it's done right) and buying is a crap shoot.
    I hate when sellers on discogs don't take the time to put the the record under the accurate version.  More than a few times when buying i ask to validate the runout or whatever and it turns out that just randomly picked a version. 
    But I do hit pay dirt and I'm thrilled.  Just recently I found an original Monarch version of Some Girls for about 25 bucks,  NM. It's sounds amazing,  so much better than the recent reissue.  When that happens,  it's all worth it 
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    edited September 2020
    I have and use Discogs often. Haven’t yet listed my whole collection. It’s intimidating even thinking about it... I’ve got maybe 3-4 k records.

https://discogs.page.link/Ym3A
    Post edited by H.Chinaski on
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I chose not to appeal.

"buyer unreasonable"

I hate when sellers on discogs don't take the time to put the the record under the accurate version.  More than a few times when buying i ask to validate the runout or whatever and it turns out that just randomly picked a version. 
    But I do hit pay dirt and I'm thrilled.  Just recently I found an original Monarch version of Some Girls for about 25 bucks,  NM. It's sounds amazing,  so much better than the recent reissue.  When that happens,  it's all worth it 

Nice score, M!

Yeah, I hear you.  At least on discogs, seller have some of the tools to use to identify more accurately.  The other major option for buy used vinyl is, of course, eBay, and they are even more of a crap shoot.  I hardly ever purchase LPs on eBay any more.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I chose not to appeal.

"buyer unreasonable"

Nice score, M!

Yeah, I hear you.  At least on discogs, seller have some of the tools to use to identify more accurately.  The other major option for buy used vinyl is, of course, eBay, and they are even more of a crap shoot.  I hardly ever purchase LPs on eBay any more.
    Yeah I don't expect ebay sellers to list that detail.  I use ebay for something that's common,  not a really specific pressing. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I chose not to appeal.

"buyer unreasonable"

plus he requested mine be removed. They did. I told the truth about the shipping delay and the never answered message THEN gave good feedback on the vinyl etc so I believed it was fair and accurate.

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I'm on there. Love Discogs! I'm Lukinfan on there too. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Got about 95% of my stuff cataloged. Same user name as here, jerparker20.
  • Options
    I disputed my unwarranted negative feedback and to my amazement Discogs agreed and removed it. It was a pretty simple process, I asked them to review the communication and they must have and (correctly) determined the negative feedback was unwarranted. 

Good on them. if you have negative feedback you feel is unwarranted go ahead and dispute. System works. 

• Options
    I disputed my unwarranted negative feedback and to my amazement Discogs agreed and removed it. It was a pretty simple process, I asked them to review the communication and they must have and (correctly) determined the negative feedback was unwarranted. 

Good on them. if you have negative feedback you feel is unwarranted go ahead and dispute. System works. 

as a buyer I have stellar reviews. quick payment etc

I leave the one bad one up to make them look like a fool. "buyer unreasonable" juxtaposed against a pleasure to communicate with , etc etc......