Options

Discogs

Comments

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    I've looked over some of the collections from people on this board and I have to say I am impressed. Good taste and variety. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    breakingglass here

i'm on it most days
  • Options
    GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 228
    Very nice collections people. Mine is gacruz75.
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Same username - redraw 
    I have probably 1/2 - 2/3 of my collection on there - trying to get it finalised.... 
    Must admit I'm scared to let my wife see the $$ value that it calculates for your entire collection!!! 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Just curious, fellow Discogs fans:  I frequently get this message in my Discogs Inbox:  "Recent changes affecting release in your collection" and another on that mentions releases being merged.  I rarely even look at these messages.  It just seems like too much minutiae to keep up with.  Do some of you spend much time looking at these?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,698
    edited September 2020
    no and I wish theres was an offvswitch for that particular messaging at least on the app. there may be somethong on the full site to optout.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    Just curious, fellow Discogs fans:  I frequently get this message in my Discogs Inbox:  "Recent changes affecting release in your collection" and another on that mentions releases being merged.  I rarely even look at these messages.  It just seems like too much minutiae to keep up with.  Do some of you spend much time looking at these?

Yea, I contribute information a lot on Discogs, so I usually check every change in my collection to make sure is was done correctly.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    brianlux said:

You can turn these off in the notifications area of Settings
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    brianlux said:

i've been wanting to find this. i get so annoyed with those emails. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2020
    brianlux said:

nevermind. found and done.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Found it.  Awesome, thank you!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Thanks for the heads-up on the app. 

The wife and I were just talking about cataloging things for insurance purposes. This is perfect.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    brianlux said:

No I don’t pay any attention really to it.
    i do like to see where my collection value is $21,000
    jesus.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    yeah, mine is currently about 10 grand, and i haven't even cataloged a third of it. jesus indeed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    yeah, mine is currently about 10 grand, and i haven't even cataloged a third of it. jesus indeed.

which part of the scale  median or high end?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.

which part of the scale  median or high end?
    that's the high end (which is obviously not reality). low end is like 5 grand or something like that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    Yea, I really try not to look at my value, cause it makes me realize how much money I have spent. lol
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    Yea, I really try not to look at my value, cause it makes me realize how much money I have spent. lol
    Hahaha ... and I know I have records that I haven’t even added to my collection.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    My music and alcohol purchases have both gone up quite a bit this year!  I wonder why...

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,910
    edited September 2020
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    Same. While its neat to see what I've entered is "worth". Its maybe 10% of my collection. If I saw the low end value of my full collection, I would have an idea of what I have spent and that would make my stomach turn because all I would be able to think about is how much college for a kid of mine I could have paid for. Though knowing the value of 10%, I can back of the envelope the full value and... yeah.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    Same. While its neat to see what I've entered is "worth". Its maybe 5% of my collection. If I saw the low end value of my full collection, I would have an idea of what I have spent and that would make my stomach turn because all I would be able to think about is how much college for a kid of mine I could have paid for.

Looking back, I'd rather have a killer record collection than a college education. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Same. Dunno if my kids would think that way tho.

• Options
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.
    Same. While its neat to see what I've entered is "worth". Its maybe 5% of my collection. If I saw the low end value of my full collection, I would have an idea of what I have spent and that would make my stomach turn because all I would be able to think about is how much college for a kid of mine I could have paid for.

Looking back, I'd rather have a killer record collection than a college education. 
    LOL. why?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.

LOL. why?
    For one thing, I won't be paying off the record collection until I die. It's bought and paid for.

And as a bonus, my kids can sell my record collection to pay off maybe a quarter of my debt to education when it transfers to them.

There are other reasons as well, but that's as good as any.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Its more fun than college.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Discogs is essential if you’re a picky collector like me.  It’s also good for insurance.

https://www.discogs.com/user/BTNVideos/collection

• Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,582
    My collection: robertek79
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.

How do you guys determine your collection value?  My Discogs collection page shows three values:  Min, Med, Max.  I tend to be more and more selective about what I buy, seeking out those LPs that are the best pressing within my budget (and that is becoming like a real art because the more I learn about pressings and their sourcing and that sort of thing, the more complicated it becomes), but in the past, I wasn't as discriminating in selecting LP's to purchase other than generally looking for near mint or sealed.  But, of course, a near mint or sealed LP that was pressed from a CD or low quality vinyl source is not going to sound great due to the source. 

In any case, I assume my collection is probably at least in the Medium range but very unlikely close to the maximum range since max price includes signed and collectible copies at the high end. 

So how do you decide where on that continuum from Min to Max to set your estimates? 

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:

jesus.

How do you guys determine your collection value?  My Discogs collection page shows three values:  Min, Med, Max.  I tend to be more and more selective about what I buy, seeking out those LPs that are the best pressing within my budget (and that is becoming like a real art because the more I learn about pressings and their sourcing and that sort of thing, the more complicated it becomes), but in the past, I wasn't as discriminating in selecting LP's to purchase other than generally looking for near mint or sealed.  But, of course, a near mint or sealed LP that was pressed from a CD or low quality vinyl source is not going to sound great due to the source. 

In any case, I assume my collection is probably at least in the Medium range but very unlikely close to the maximum range since max price includes signed and collectible copies at the high end. 

So how do you decide where on that continuum from Min to Max to set your estimates? 
    I would go with this: for insurance purposes somewhere between the high and medium range. For actual value, somewhere slightly under the medium value.
  • Options
    My Collection: PJCanuck