Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I'm not a lawyer, but if you parse the language of the note, it sounds more like a CYA statement than anything. Nothing says that you will be required to provide proof of vaccination/ negative test -- you are being asked to abide by the honor system.

I'm also not a doctor. That said: Unless you are an immunocompromised person (think organ transplant recipient, or on chemo), if you are vaccinated against COVID then maskless/ unvaccinated people pose very little risk to you; the risk is all theirs.
    it specifically says the event organizer is "requiring"....  and this "requirement" will apply to all before allowed entry.  whatever that means. 

Yes, it is *requiring* attendees to agree to confirm that they will be vaccinated and/or have a negative test result and/or wear a mask. That's not the same as requiring people to present their vaccination cards at the entry. If you look at what the state is saying, they're trying to sidestep legal battles with anti-vaxxers while encouraging pro-social behavior. This notice does the same thing: it says, we'd *really* like you to show up vaccinated, and if you aren't, we expect you to wear a mask.

It's an honor system. There's an implicit acknowledgement that if you disregard expectations and get sick, that's on you -- you know, "you're an adult; act like one."  But there's not an explicit waiver of liability as I hear Japan is doing for the Olympics.

Edit to add: I don't see how they could check vaccination/ testing status at the gates. That would be a complete cluster. Perhaps uploading proof of vaccination prior to the mailing date for wristbands could be required, but arguing with thousands of people at the entry? That's not going to happen.
    what do you make of "this requirement will apply to all members of your party before they are allowed to enter the event"

are these other shows popping up using some kind of verification system, or is it all a CYA?  anyone know?  these foo fighters shows for example, are they actually checking? if ohana was going to check somehow, i dont think the communication will come from ticketmaster, the details will come from ohana.  so i dont expect that ticketmaster pop up to have all the detail, just a warning saying the organizers want vax/negative test....  then the organizer should be relaying and new details.  

Honestly? I think it's still a fluid situation. I think Frontgate or whoever is organizing Ohana has the option of requiring proof of vaccination or a negative test; I also think that they've had a lot of time to think about how to handle re-opening. How do you control for people who won't comply no matter what? What does the science say? Is it worth the effort to check every person passing through the gates?

E.g.: I'm fully vaccinated. Let's say that Ohana decides to require people to upload their CDC cards before wristbands are mailed. I'll do that, no problem. But what if something comes up and I'm not able to attend the festival, and there are dozens of nice people on here who would be thrilled to take my three-day passes off of my hands? What happens now? What if I sell my passes to you -- are you vaccinated? How would I check that? How would the festival organizers check that?

People who are inclined to comply -- like you, I assume -- read the pop-up and think "Good thing I'm vaccinated/ have an appt to get vaccinated!" People who are not inclined to comply are going to find a way around the requirements. And the powers-that-be know this.

I live in San Diego. In my zip code, I'd guess that 75% of people are vaccinated, at a minimum. The state reopened yesterday, and stores have posted signs at their entrances saying that masks are required for non-vaccinated people and/or that by entering said business maskless you are affirming that you have been vaccinated, per state guidelines. (99% of the people I saw in Ralph's yesterday still wore masks, nonetheless.)

On its face, the "masks are required for non-vaccinated people" rule is silly -- how do you check vaccination status at the mall? But the message is that if you're vaccinated, you're protected, and if you're not, you're not. That message has been slow to sink in with a lot of people (not directing that at you or at anyone in particular).

So the pop-up people are seeing reflects current state policy: *encouraging* people at outdoor mega events to be vaccinated, giving organizers some discretion. As of today, I don't see that notice as a requirement of proof of vaccination; that doesn't mean that Ohana won't make proof of vaccination status a requirement down the road.  So get vaccinated, people! :-)

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    pjpitt89 said:
    If you haven't booked your flights yet Southwest is doing a 50% off fare deal today. I just rebooked 2 trips at lower prices and moved up to Business Select in both. Saved just over $450 for my 2 Ohana flights which I then applied to another trip.

You can do it all on the Southwest app/website.
    I'm guessing I'd have to cancel my current flights, then re book? Always makes me nervous that they may no longer be available
    Its real easy to do via the app.
    It will show if seats are sold out or limited.
    Took me all of 5 or 6 minutes this morning.
    I finally did it for mine and my wife's flight out, now we each have about $70 in travel funds left over. I used points for our flights home and it looks like booking with points isn't 50% off. But I'll take the $140ish back, thanks for the heads up!
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    pjpitt89 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    If you haven't booked your flights yet Southwest is doing a 50% off fare deal today. I just rebooked 2 trips at lower prices and moved up to Business Select in both. Saved just over $450 for my 2 Ohana flights which I then applied to another trip.

I'm guessing I'd have to cancel my current flights, then re book? Always makes me nervous that they may no longer be available
    I finally did it for mine and my wife's flight out, now we each have about $70 in travel funds left over. I used points for our flights home and it looks like booking with points isn't 50% off. But I'll take the $140ish back, thanks for the heads up!
    Ours were booked with points (roundtrip) and I was able to cancel and rebook and save us each over 6000 points total.

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    DoDaFoo said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    pjpitt89 said:

Ours were booked with points (roundtrip) and I was able to cancel and rebook and save us each over 6000 points total.

Nice! Cancelling my flight home gives me 14k points back but then to book the same flight today would cost 48k points
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    Wow, I was just able to snag 3 Sunday GA tickets for 150 each on the exchange!  Just in time to take advantage of the Southwest Airlines deal.  I have had a refundable room reserved, but had given up hope that I was going to be able to attend due to the crazy prices.  Super excited! 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    BB162610 said:
    Wow, I was just able to snag 3 Sunday GA tickets for 150 each on the exchange!  Just in time to take advantage of the Southwest Airlines deal.  I have had a refundable room reserved, but had given up hope that I was going to be able to attend due to the crazy prices.  Super excited! 
    Thats awesome congrats! 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    BB162610 said:
    WOW! Congrats!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    BB162610 said:
    I find that hard to believe.  That is below face, demand is crazy right now and the cheapest stubhub ticket is $739.
    edited June 2021
    Get_Right said:
    BB162610 said:
    I find that hard to believe.  That is below face, demand is crazy right now and the cheapest stubhub ticket is $739.
    It is true. It was $154 plus fees actually. I was going to post it here that it was up but saw it was gone seconds after I saw it. 
    So pumped for this festival!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    edited June 2021
    Get_Right said:
    BB162610 said:

Post edited by BB162610 on
    Dude cover up that ID number just in case. 
    edited June 2021
    Awesome score!
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,444
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:
    BB162610 said:
    It is true. It was $154 plus fees actually. I was going to post it here that it was up but saw it was gone seconds after I saw it. 
    Inconceivable but lucky grab.

• SenlickSenlick United States Posts: 80
    There is one 3 day pass available now on the exchange for $500. I just got myself one for $611 all in. See you there!!

Screenshot :)
    Looks like its gone now. Nice looking out for someone and congrats on the 3 day! 
    PJNB said:
    Looks like its gone now. Nice looking out for someone and congrats on the 3 day! 
    Thanks! Hopefully, someone on here got it!! I never post, but felt obligated too!!
  • rival9500rival9500 Posts: 530
    edited June 2021
    Just scored a Sunday GA for $200. I’ve been refreshing all day for most days for a month.  Don’t give up!
    Post edited by rival9500 on
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
    Two Sunday VIP for face value plus fees just popped up on the Exchange. 
  • e360727e360727 Posts: 73
    PJNB said:
    Thanks so much for the heads up.  I got them - wow.  Great gift to myself for my 50th birthday which is that same week:).  
    e360727 said:
    PJNB said:
    Thanks so much for the heads up.  I got them - wow.  Great gift to myself for my 50th birthday which is that same week:).  
    Nice!!  
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    PJNB said:
    Nice to see people selling for face!
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    If international travel doesn’t open up by September there’s going to be so many more tickets available.
    edited June 2021
    matt84 said:
    If international travel doesn’t open up by September there’s going to be so many more tickets available.
    I actually see it as the opposite where some sold tickets already from countries that will most definitely be open by the fall and will likely be looking for them again. 

If borders are not opened for the EU,UK, and CAN I will be shocked especially for those that are vaccinated but you are right there will be a huge ticket dump if so. 
    Anyone from the Dana Point area able to PM me. I have a local question I was hoping someone could clear up for me. 
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 187
    PJNB said:
    matt84 said:
    I actually see it as the opposite where some sold tickets already from countries that will most definitely be open by the fall and will likely be looking for them again. 

If borders are not opened for the EU,UK, and CAN I will be shocked especially for those that are vaccinated but you are right there will be a huge ticket dump if so. 
    Roger Daltrey just cancelled his US summer/fall tour.  His show here in Utah was scheduled for Sep. 8th, and the venue just sent out the following statement:   

"Dear Roger Daltrey concert ticketholders,

Yesterday we received the news that Roger Daltrey has cancelled his U.S. tour. His official statement follows:

"When I booked these shows several months ago I was confident that things would be back to normal by August, but due to the uncertainty of the current travel situation and the challenges for a UK act to be able to perform in the USA I have reluctantly decided to cancel the shows. I hope to re-book them in the near future, and to those of you who have bought tickets, please accept my sincere apologies.

I do appreciate your support and can't wait to get back to work once the time is right."

~ Roger Daltrey"