Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Ohana Festival 2020 Update

13»

Comments

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 1,046
    matt84 rsaid:
    What’s it like in California at the moment?
    The stay at home order just got lifted. Like most places, they are under a colour coded restriction opening 
    Just to add, cases are on the decline there, but like everywhere else they don’t know what the variants will do.  They have also been extremely cautious with any type of reopening. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I think it’s just a fact.  
  • FNM (and others) being rescheduled to October (soccer stadium in LA)

FNM (and others) being rescheduled to October (soccer stadium in LA)

Very interesting.
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 108
    Very interesting indeed.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 1,731
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of a tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
    I agree this would make sense, not to mention make for a more civilized experience, but I fully expect someone to jump in and say this will never happen because the economics only work with a full house.  We also don’t know if they’ve already sold more than whatever a reduced maximum might be.  
    This, of course, is correct. A festival that has already signed contracts with acts can’t just reduce their pay without renegotiation and obviously the festival would get wiped out economically if they pay the full deals with a greatly reduced capacity. Now whether Ohana has room to maneuver since Ed and PJ are the headliners, hard to say without knowing specifics of the other contracts. 

As  previously stated, an equally big issue here is the fact that all of these things need to be cleared months in advance. So conditions could be much better in September but you would have to know well before to have the show. Especially here in CA, there’s clearly going to be a presumption against having large numbers of people in one place. There has still not been a single person to attend a sporting event in California since the pandemic started, even though other states have been allowing fans in for months. Hopefully Newsom is going to allow at least a very limited number of fans into baseball stadiums come April but there’s been no word on that yet. 

In terms of the contracts, I wonder what the insurance policy of the festivals say... Clearly a global deadly pandemic is not an expected obstacle and I wonder if the totally destructive impact on the live music industry means that everything, or almost everything, is up for re-negotiation?

Bands want to play, fans want to go, and for most crew, promoters and bands, some pay is better than no pay.  Playing is better than not playing.  So I wonder if it is possible everything would be up for re-negotiation just to get the fest to happen?  This all assumes no one is risking their lives for it to go on sooner rather than later.  Which may not be an assumption that can be made this far ahead.
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 288
    JH6056 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of a tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
    I agree this would make sense, not to mention make for a more civilized experience, but I fully expect someone to jump in and say this will never happen because the economics only work with a full house.  We also don’t know if they’ve already sold more than whatever a reduced maximum might be.  
    This, of course, is correct. A festival that has already signed contracts with acts can’t just reduce their pay without renegotiation and obviously the festival would get wiped out economically if they pay the full deals with a greatly reduced capacity. Now whether Ohana has room to maneuver since Ed and PJ are the headliners, hard to say without knowing specifics of the other contracts. 

As  previously stated, an equally big issue here is the fact that all of these things need to be cleared months in advance. So conditions could be much better in September but you would have to know well before to have the show. Especially here in CA, there’s clearly going to be a presumption against having large numbers of people in one place. There has still not been a single person to attend a sporting event in California since the pandemic started, even though other states have been allowing fans in for months. Hopefully Newsom is going to allow at least a very limited number of fans into baseball stadiums come April but there’s been no word on that yet. 

In terms of the contracts, I wonder what the insurance policy of the festivals say... Clearly a global deadly pandemic is not an expected obstacle and I wonder if the totally destructive impact on the live music industry means that everything, or almost everything, is up for re-negotiation?

Bands want to play, fans want to go, and for most crew, promoters and bands, some pay is better than no pay.  Playing is better than not playing.  So I wonder if it is possible everything would be up for re-negotiation just to get the fest to happen?  This all assumes no one is risking their lives for it to go on sooner rather than later.  Which may not be an assumption that can be made this far ahead.
    For a promoter, “some” pay is likely not better than no pay because when the festival needs to be cancelled, that’s why they have insurance (assuming there’s no pandemic exclusion). And I don’t think bands want to play until they are 100 percent sure their fans will be safe attending shows. We know that is Pearl Jam’s position. I would bet strongly that if the festivals cannot proceed under almost normal circumstances, they will be postponed again. That’s what we are seeing time and again and it’s why the European festivals like Glastonbury are already moving to next year. 
  • chittychitty Posts: 450
    edited February 26
    I am fully prepared for all shows in  2021 to be cancelled, but I have some optimism for this one. Vaccinations, assuming canadian and usa plans for distribution go as planned, should be reached for herd immunity by July and August. Bands and promoters will have a good gauge of that by the time the decision to ramp up production for their tour/festival needs to start . I am only predicting and making large assumptions, but the optimist in me wants to believe this show happens. I know full well there's a big change it won't, but I do have flights, tickets and a hotel booked of which I am sick of cancelling those type of things.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 1,731
    Well, although I don't know HOW they are announcing this, given the current state of Covid & especially the UK variant and all variants... But so far THREE UK music festivals I've heard of (Isle of Wight, Leeds & Reading) are saying they are a GO for THIS SUMMER!  Here's one twitter announcement, but I don't see any details yet on what will be different or what modifications they're making to be confident that this will go off no matter what....

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 288
    I am a Dodgers season ticket holder and we have been informed Newsom has still not approved fans in the ballpark but the team is hoping/expecting that will be change by the start of the season. They expect a capacity of 20 percent for the first few months and then hopefully increasing in the summer. 
    Fingers crossed.