Ohana Festival Update

Comments

• matt84 rsaid:
    What’s it like in California at the moment?
    The stay at home order just got lifted. Like most places, they are under a colour coded restriction opening 
    Just to add, cases are on the decline there, but like everywhere else they don’t know what the variants will do.  They have also been extremely cautious with any type of reopening. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I think it’s just a fact.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,541
    FNM (and others) being rescheduled to October (soccer stadium in LA)

• FNM (and others) being rescheduled to October (soccer stadium in LA)

Very interesting.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    Very interesting indeed.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of a tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
    I agree this would make sense, not to mention make for a more civilized experience, but I fully expect someone to jump in and say this will never happen because the economics only work with a full house.  We also don’t know if they’ve already sold more than whatever a reduced maximum might be.  
    This, of course, is correct. A festival that has already signed contracts with acts can’t just reduce their pay without renegotiation and obviously the festival would get wiped out economically if they pay the full deals with a greatly reduced capacity. Now whether Ohana has room to maneuver since Ed and PJ are the headliners, hard to say without knowing specifics of the other contracts. 

As  previously stated, an equally big issue here is the fact that all of these things need to be cleared months in advance. So conditions could be much better in September but you would have to know well before to have the show. Especially here in CA, there’s clearly going to be a presumption against having large numbers of people in one place. There has still not been a single person to attend a sporting event in California since the pandemic started, even though other states have been allowing fans in for months. Hopefully Newsom is going to allow at least a very limited number of fans into baseball stadiums come April but there’s been no word on that yet. 

In terms of the contracts, I wonder what the insurance policy of the festivals say... Clearly a global deadly pandemic is not an expected obstacle and I wonder if the totally destructive impact on the live music industry means that everything, or almost everything, is up for re-negotiation?

Bands want to play, fans want to go, and for most crew, promoters and bands, some pay is better than no pay.  Playing is better than not playing.  So I wonder if it is possible everything would be up for re-negotiation just to get the fest to happen?  This all assumes no one is risking their lives for it to go on sooner rather than later.  Which may not be an assumption that can be made this far ahead.
  • JH6056 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Obviously with Ohana there’s still a lot of a tickets left to sell. I wonder if the organisers are now going to put a limit on how many the venue can hold. That way if the festival is allowed to go ahead, it’s not going to have the capacity it’s had in previous years. I’m sure all this kind of stuff is being discussed.
    I agree this would make sense, not to mention make for a more civilized experience, but I fully expect someone to jump in and say this will never happen because the economics only work with a full house.  We also don’t know if they’ve already sold more than whatever a reduced maximum might be.  
    This, of course, is correct. A festival that has already signed contracts with acts can’t just reduce their pay without renegotiation and obviously the festival would get wiped out economically if they pay the full deals with a greatly reduced capacity. Now whether Ohana has room to maneuver since Ed and PJ are the headliners, hard to say without knowing specifics of the other contracts. 

As  previously stated, an equally big issue here is the fact that all of these things need to be cleared months in advance. So conditions could be much better in September but you would have to know well before to have the show. Especially here in CA, there’s clearly going to be a presumption against having large numbers of people in one place. There has still not been a single person to attend a sporting event in California since the pandemic started, even though other states have been allowing fans in for months. Hopefully Newsom is going to allow at least a very limited number of fans into baseball stadiums come April but there’s been no word on that yet. 

In terms of the contracts, I wonder what the insurance policy of the festivals say... Clearly a global deadly pandemic is not an expected obstacle and I wonder if the totally destructive impact on the live music industry means that everything, or almost everything, is up for re-negotiation?

Bands want to play, fans want to go, and for most crew, promoters and bands, some pay is better than no pay.  Playing is better than not playing.  So I wonder if it is possible everything would be up for re-negotiation just to get the fest to happen?  This all assumes no one is risking their lives for it to go on sooner rather than later.  Which may not be an assumption that can be made this far ahead.
    For a promoter, “some” pay is likely not better than no pay because when the festival needs to be cancelled, that’s why they have insurance (assuming there’s no pandemic exclusion). And I don’t think bands want to play until they are 100 percent sure their fans will be safe attending shows. We know that is Pearl Jam’s position. I would bet strongly that if the festivals cannot proceed under almost normal circumstances, they will be postponed again. That’s what we are seeing time and again and it’s why the European festivals like Glastonbury are already moving to next year. 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    edited February 2021
    I am fully prepared for all shows in  2021 to be cancelled, but I have some optimism for this one. Vaccinations, assuming canadian and usa plans for distribution go as planned, should be reached for herd immunity by July and August. Bands and promoters will have a good gauge of that by the time the decision to ramp up production for their tour/festival needs to start . I am only predicting and making large assumptions, but the optimist in me wants to believe this show happens. I know full well there's a big change it won't, but I do have flights, tickets and a hotel booked of which I am sick of cancelling those type of things.
    Well, although I don't know HOW they are announcing this, given the current state of Covid & especially the UK variant and all variants... But so far THREE UK music festivals I've heard of (Isle of Wight, Leeds & Reading) are saying they are a GO for THIS SUMMER!  Here's one twitter announcement, but I don't see any details yet on what will be different or what modifications they're making to be confident that this will go off no matter what....

• I am a Dodgers season ticket holder and we have been informed Newsom has still not approved fans in the ballpark but the team is hoping/expecting that will be change by the start of the season. They expect a capacity of 20 percent for the first few months and then hopefully increasing in the summer. 
  • Fingers crossed.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Not sure how/why I though of this, but:

To the best of my knowledge, this will be the first time PJ/EV play at the same festival one day after another.

EV usually plays a wide assortment of songs, including PJ songs. in his solo sets

Do you think he will omit any/all PJ songs from his solo set as to avoid any repeats in PJ's set on Sunday?
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    I think he will play some PJ in his solo, but is unlikely to repeat any of those with the band the next day.  Now, whether this happens this year or not, that I’m not so sure.

JH6056 said:
    Well, although I don't know HOW they are announcing this, given the current state of Covid & especially the UK variant and all variants... But so far THREE UK music festivals I've heard of (Isle of Wight, Leeds & Reading) are saying they are a GO for THIS SUMMER!  Here's one twitter announcement, but I don't see any details yet on what will be different or what modifications they're making to be confident that this will go off no matter what....

By June, the UK is hoping to be back to the way it was pre-Covid so I doubt these festivals are making modifications or doing anything differently. 
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    matt84 said:
    JH6056 said:

By June, the UK is hoping to be back to the way it was pre-Covid so I doubt these festivals are making modifications or doing anything differently. 
    The key word is "hoping" and there is no downside for Live Nation to sell tickets now, even if there's still a chance it winds up moving later.

Clapton postponed his 2021 European tour date (May/June) and moved the dates to 2022.
    matt84 said:
    JH6056 said:

Given that the UK hasn't gotten control of the UK variant and now has people with the Brazil variant and the S. African variant, it just feels wildly irresponsible to announce based on the "hope" they'll be pre-Covid.  Literally NO signs point to being totally back to normal by then. Anyone who buys tickets without knowing what they're basing this announcement on in terms of Plan A (back to Pre-Covid) but also is there a Plan B & Plan C if Covid is still a big thing... I guess people trust promoters more than I do. And I know some good ones.
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    JH6056 said:
    matt84 said:
    JH6056 said:

Given that the UK hasn't gotten control of the UK variant and now has people with the Brazil variant and the S. African variant, it just feels wildly irresponsible to announce based on the "hope" they'll be pre-Covid.  Literally NO signs point to being totally back to normal by then. Anyone who buys tickets without knowing what they're basing this announcement on in terms of Plan A (back to Pre-Covid) but also is there a Plan B & Plan C if Covid is still a big thing... I guess people trust promoters more than I do. And I know some good ones.
    Given the developers of the Oxford vaccine were on Uk media this morning telling people to stop obsessing about variants then I wonder if a sea change is about to take place regarding summer events. The Uk is the world leader in identifying these variants - they don't emerge from the Uk - we just pick them up.

Covid deaths are plunging at 35+% per week in the Uk - will be down to very small numbers by April at that rate. June and beyond look promising.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    Tjm007 said:
    JH6056 said:
    matt84 said:
    JH6056 said:

Given the developers of the Oxford vaccine were on Uk media this morning telling people to stop obsessing about variants then I wonder if a sea change is about to take place regarding summer events. The Uk is the world leader in identifying these variants - they don't emerge from the Uk - we just pick them up.

Covid deaths are plunging at 35+% per week in the Uk - will be down to very small numbers by April at that rate. June and beyond look promising.
    This.

For the first time in a year I actually feel we are doing well with this... The line for cases and deaths etc is dropping with a sharper curve than last spring. And the new variants are being clamped down on with door to door testing etc.

I believe the 6 Brazilian variety cases are from tests carried out over 2 weeks ago and as of yet no other cases have been found.

And above all it's great to feel some positivity.
    Tjm007 said:
    JH6056 said:
    matt84 said:
    JH6056 said:

I'm as happy as anyone to see signs of the sun coming up again over live music events and festivals. AND...the UK's numbers JUST LAST WEEK were still highly problematic. Hey, if you're right and they've got such a lead on this that we simply don't know what they know but you trust they know enough to back up their optimism, cool.  I just haven't seen any evidence of it and it was such a fast and huge jump from one British friend telling me JUST LAST WEEK that they were looking at another lockdown in London... and seeing this confident "We're doing this festival!" news.

I truly hope it's safe and that they're right that these events will safely happen, maybe even at full capacity, when they're scheduled. But pardon me if I reserve a very very healthy amount of skepticism about it really being back to "business as usual" by these dates, as much as I would love that to be true.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    edited March 2021
    Cases and deaths are the lowest they have been for 5 months here. I almost overdose on news about it 😂 and I have seen no talk of further lockdowns in London or elsewhere. Were still some long tough months away but it's all going in the right direction here. 

And infact I'm way off topic In a thread for Ohana fest so I'll leave it there 👍😂
    Post edited by beano.79 on
    Isle of Wight festival moved to September. Seems like we really are going to have live music (if everything continues to go well) back in the UK come September time.

Hope the US follows a similar pattern to the UK and Ohana is a go!
    beano.79 said:
    Cases and deaths are the lowest they have been for 5 months here. I almost overdose on news about it 😂 and I have seen no talk of further lockdowns in London or elsewhere. Were still some long tough months away but it's all going in the right direction here. 

And infact I'm way off topic In a thread for Ohana fest so I'll leave it there 👍😂
    Super happy to hear from another London dweller.  And you're not off-topic, this is about signs or likelihood that Ohana will happen as scheduled. Anything about festivals coming back online and timetables is relevant to any festival discussion.

I hope you're all right, hope this bodes very well for Ohana and others!
    Well, the problem with Ohana is that again today Newsom left So Cal at the same restrictions. Still no movie theaters opening in Los Angeles, still no word on the Dodgers and Angels, still not a single fan has attended a sports event in CA since the pandemic began. 

The Biden news about enough vaccines by late May for all adults is great but as you can see from above, Newsom is going to move very very cautiously. So reading into things happening in the UK or even another state isn’t really going to work. 
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Well, the problem with Ohana is that again today Newsom left So Cal at the same restrictions. Still no movie theaters opening in Los Angeles, still no word on the Dodgers and Angels, still not a single fan has attended a sports event in CA since the pandemic began. 

The Biden news about enough vaccines by late May for all adults is great but as you can see from above, Newsom is going to move very very cautiously. So reading into things happening in the UK or even another state isn’t really going to work. 
    But by the same measure, if no one else anywhere else is even talking about getting festivals going again, wouldn't that bode even worse for California? Given the rollercoaster of breakouts and spikes that the biggest California cities have experienced, he's right to be careful and the more careful he is, the more hopeful I'd think it'll look for at least end of summer possibilities...   And for other festivals in other parts of the world that have had recent spikes to be announcing shows at least gives support to Newsom doing it when he thinks it's looking safe.

Does all of that seem true to you?
    edited March 2021
    JH6056 said:
    Luckytwn1 said:

But by the same measure, if no one else anywhere else is even talking about getting festivals going again, wouldn't that bode even worse for California? Given the rollercoaster of breakouts and spikes that the biggest California cities have experienced, he's right to be careful and the more careful he is, the more hopeful I'd think it'll look for at least end of summer possibilities...   And for other festivals in other parts of the world that have had recent spikes to be announcing shows at least gives support to Newsom doing it when he thinks it's looking safe.

Does all of that seem true to you?
    Nope. Many NFL cities hosted fans this year. If you used that as a guide, you would have expected CA to also have at least some fans in the stadiums. None were allowed. Ironically, the 49ers were forced to move to Arizona, they couldn’t play even without fans, at a time when Arizona’s numbers were much worse than here and Arizona was hosting fans at that time. So trying to draw conclusions from other jurisdictions isn’t going to work. While So Cal got really bad in December/January, for much of the year we were much better off per capita than many other locales. Those places had movie theaters open. Not a single patron has attended a movie in LA since last March.

We are at zero percent in terms of allowed crowds. Until we get info on when at least 50 percent will be admitted to say Dodger Stadium, I would not get too excited about Ohana. And again Dodger Stadium can adapt in days. Ohana they have a hard deadline when they will have to make a call on whether to proceed in 2021. We just don’t know what it is.
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    They pulled the plug on Ohana 2020 in June, so we have a few months to see what happens.  If there are really enough vaccines for all Americans by the end of May then presumably by June there will be a decent indication of the impact of that.  I do agree that until something of a smaller scale occurs in the state it’s not just going to go from zero to Ohana.

Ok, that all makes sense what you've both said (last 2 posts).
  • They pulled the plug on Ohana 2020 in June, so we have a few months to see what happens.  If there are really enough vaccines for all Americans by the end of May then presumably by June there will be a decent indication of the impact of that.  I do agree that until something of a smaller scale occurs in the state it’s not just going to go from zero to Ohana.
    I still believe the issue at hand is the international travellers from Canada, Australia, uk, etc. 
    They pulled the plug on Ohana 2020 in June, so we have a few months to see what happens.  If there are really enough vaccines for all Americans by the end of May then presumably by June there will be a decent indication of the impact of that.  I do agree that until something of a smaller scale occurs in the state it’s not just going to go from zero to Ohana.
    I still believe the issue at hand is the international travellers from Canada, Australia, uk, etc. 
    That is not the issue at all. How could that be the issue when Los Angeles is at zero percent capacity allowed?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited March 2021
    Luckytwn1 said:
    That is not the issue at all. How could that be the issue when Los Angeles is at zero percent capacity allowed?
    No one is talking about the rules today though. They are talking about the rules in late September where presumably all eligible Americans who want one will have had the vaccine for at least a month or two depending on roll out. People have to wear masks and socially distance now if they get vaccinated due to a number of reasons to keep protecting the population that has yet to have been given it. What will the restrictions be when that is no longer necessary? I am hoping all restrictions are lifted. 

• whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    Those travelers will have to test negative of Covid to board the flight to arrive into the states. So if Ohana is a go, I think with it not being completely sold out, they might not sell any more tickets, and along with those who sought refunds, and with everyone hopefully being vaccinated by late June, Ohana could still happen, but with a smaller crowd.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena