Options

** STICKY ** BLACK vs JOHNNY GUITAR

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I feel like I’m not in on the joke. The best song on Backspacer isn’t better than the worst song on Ten. What’s next? Gonna See My Friend vs Rearviewmirror? Got Some vs Lukin? The best song on Backspacer is Speed of Sound. I will say that any song on Backspacer is better than Mankind. But the sound of explosive diarrhea splattering the bowl is better than the sound of Mankind so the standard isn't that high. I’m not smart enough to get the joke that is this thread. 
    Lukin is way better than Got Some...
    Agreed. And RVM vs Gonna See My Friend? How is that even a question? What the hell drug is this lady on? 
    Gonna see my friend opened spectrum night 4, 'nuff said.  
    They had to do that to bring the excitement level down a notch. If you start at ten there is no where to go but down. 

Gonna see my friend is just a dumb song. Not a bad song, just a dumb song. Backspacer is just not that good of an album. Some good to great songs but I will never sit down and listen to it again in it’s entirety. 
    In all seriousness,  I think Unthought and Amongst the Waves come off pretty well live.  While im not thrilled when they start,  I'm fine with hearing them.  Nothing else from BS. From LB, I think the song LB is excellent live,  especially the ending jam. They can table the rest of the record. 
    Unthought known, amongst the waves and lb are all phenomenal live. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Total joke post but I actually really enjoy JG
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Well, after 11 years I felt it was finally time for me to take a side in this debate.  I picked Johnny Guitar.  Ultimately, it wasn’t the musicality or the melodies, but rather the emotion you could feel in Ed’s delivery in JG.  The lyrics just come from the heart.  I think that is what Black lacks.  I still have no clue what Black is even about.  Tattered sheets from too many laundry cycles?  No clue.  But JG, you can just feel the pain of jealousy and unrequited love.   Ultimately JG taught me to be content with who I am as a person and not try to be some guitar gunslinger ladies man.  Thank you, Ed, for that wonderful insight into humanity.   
  • Options
    BLACK
    I assume this is an elaborate and well-executed troll?
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    Never assume, you know what it makes.... and that’s not cool:(
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,250
    BLACK
    on2legs said:
    Pap said:
    on2legs said:

You've seen Leatherman 9 times?! :open_mouth: Man, I'm jealous...
    Can’t find a... leatherman!
    Exactly! :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Well, after 11 years I felt it was finally time for me to take a side in this debate.  I picked Johnny Guitar.  Ultimately, it wasn’t the musicality or the melodies, but rather the emotion you could feel in Ed’s delivery in JG.  The lyrics just come from the heart.  I think that is what Black lacks.  I still have no clue what Black is even about.  Tattered sheets from too many laundry cycles?  No clue.  But JG, you can just feel the pain of jealousy and unrequited love.   Ultimately JG taught me to be content with who I am as a person and not try to be some guitar gunslinger ladies man.  Thank you, Ed, for that wonderful insight into humanity.   
    This guy gets it 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    BLACK
    100 Pacer said:
    Wow JG played only 17 times and I’ve seen it live 6 times. Sung my lungs out each time!
    Did it fill the room?
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,527
    BLACK
    Even i don't have the amount of sarcasm in me to vote JG....

Force of Nature, however....

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Great post here. Compelling and rich. Thank you for taking the time...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    You are an elaborate and well-executed troll
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    I don't think Hemingway could have put it better.  
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,498
    23scidoo said:
    Greatest poll ever!!!
    i love everyone who vote!!
    love yourself more
    Thank you, i will..lol
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    BLACK
    I feel so empty... haven't felt the beauty of JG live. What is it like on the other side?

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seeing as he was likely hammered out of his mind, he couldn't have.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    BLACK
    You missed an opportunity here...
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread#latest
  • Options
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Poncier said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seeing as he was likely hammered out of his mind, he couldn't have.
    I ve done some of my best work while sipping on absenta. 
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    BLACK
    I love Johnny Guitar but Black is classic.  i didn't realize JG was so popular.  cool.  
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    You missed an opportunity here...
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread#latest
    You did.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Great post here. Compelling and rich. Thank you for taking the time...
    I just write what is in my heart.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    I remember that huge JG sign campaign at MSG in 2010. On the heels of the successful Breath campaign from a decade earlier, fans really thought it could work again, but nonetheless, Ed didn't feel they were the right crowd to share that intense experience with. Showing once again that Hartford is where it's at. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    pjrusspjruss Posts: 454
    BLACK
    100 Pacer said:
    Wow JG played only 17 times and I’ve seen it live 6 times. Sung my lungs out each time!
    Did it fill the room?
    Well done, Tempo. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    I just learned a new phrase that perfectly crystallizes my thoughts on the song Black... fecal shedding.   

That is all.  
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    It’s so painfully obvious that I’m surprised this is even a poll
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    BLACK
    Let’s be real. Even the art on Backspacer is blah. Give me the awesome pink CD cover version of Ten any day, even tomorrow, Tom Tomorrow. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    tbergs said:
    I remember that huge JG sign campaign at MSG in 2010. On the heels of the successful Breath campaign from a decade earlier, fans really thought it could work again, but nonetheless, Ed didn't feel they were the right crowd to share that intense experience with. Showing once again that Hartford is where it's at. 
    It was incredible in Oslo 2014.  Ed was setting up playing a rare tune and I saw some folks getting excited.  They started playing strangest tribe and the group was bummed.  I asked, “why so glum?”  
    They looked back at me like I had asked the dumbest question ever and I just said “ah, Hoping for Johnny Guitar right?”.   I felt some such an idiot for asking that question.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    I would be amazed if Ed even remembers JG.  

I have to ask, "Is there a DEFINITIVE live version of JG?" Bootleg nerds, get to work!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Let’s be real. Even the art on Backspacer is blah. Give me the awesome pink CD cover version of Ten any day, even tomorrow, Tom Tomorrow. 
    Some people just don't get it. Go listen to Nickleback.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,250
    BLACK
    evenflow82 said: I have to ask, "Is there a DEFINITIVE live version of JG?" Bootleg nerds, get to work!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y2mzqqJ8DY
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    BLACK
    That video was just horrible. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.