** STICKY ** BLACK vs JOHNNY GUITAR

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    BLACK
    @The Juggler are you day drinking again?
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    BLACK
    I feel like I’m not in on the joke. The best song on Backspacer isn’t better than the worst song on Ten. What’s next? Gonna See My Friend vs Rearviewmirror? Got Some vs Lukin? The best song on Backspacer is Speed of Sound. I will say that any song on Backspacer is better than Mankind. But the sound of explosive diarrhea splattering the bowl is better than the sound of Mankind so the standard isn't that high. I’m not smart enough to get the joke that is this thread. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,604
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    I feel like I’m not in on the joke. The best song on Backspacer isn’t better than the worst song on Ten. What’s next? Gonna See My Friend vs Rearviewmirror? Got Some vs Lukin? The best song on Backspacer is Speed of Sound. I will say that any song on Backspacer is better than Mankind. But the sound of explosive diarrhea splattering the bowl is better than the sound of Mankind so the standard isn't that high. I’m not smart enough to get the joke that is this thread. 
    You're probably just too mature. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mrussel1 said:
    How does one not get or connect to Johnny guitar? 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    what joke?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Imagine that in 92 unplugged rather than the mediocre version of Black.  What could have been...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,175
    JOHNNY GUITAR
      What’s next? Gonna See My Friend vs Rearviewmirror?  
    I smell the next poll!
    This weekend we rock Portland
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    JG isn't bad....it's just an odd selection
    You know what's an odd selection?

chinese-happy.jpg
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    23scidoo said:
    Greatest poll ever!!!
    i love everyone who vote!!
    love yourself more
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    This cover is fucking brilliant

https://youtu.be/4VtWMz3aiOs
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,714
    BLACK
    This cover is fucking brilliant

https://youtu.be/4VtWMz3aiOs
    would have been better if she played that on a saxophone :wink::lol:

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Imagine that in 92 unplugged rather than the mediocre version of Black.  What could have been...
    Or at the Benny show. Wow.  
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Or at the Benny show. Wow.  
    Oh yeah... the crowd singing the last refrain... dare we dream?
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Peggy Lee's lyrics in her version are strong too. But if I'm going Guitar, I'm going with PJ"s Guitar. ALL DAY. 

Johnny Guitar
    Play the guitar, play it again, my Johnny
    Maybe you're cold but you're so warm inside
    I was always a fool for my Johnny
    For the one they call Johnny Guitar
    Play it again, Johnny Guitar
    What if you go, what if you stay, I love you
    But if you're cruel, you can be kind, I know
    There was never a man like my Johnny
    Like the one they call Johnny Guitar
    There was never a man like my Johnny
    Like the one they call Johnny Guitar
    Play it again, Johnny Guitar

OR

Johnny Guitar
    Johnny Guitar Watson staring at me
    Riding on 3 wheels, a woman on his knee
    With a leg under the red dress I wish I could see
    Further North the warmth of lovin' lingering
    Now Johnny he be having lots of women
    Oh the reason he'd be smiling known to him
    On the left the girl in red so innocent
    Never sheds her clothes even when she goes to bed
    Yeah the type of girl responsible for original sin
    Can't help but wonder where and who she is
    Oh and the memory's always getting clearer
    First thirty years and more I've loved her so
    But now I need to know why she's with him
    And I sleep with the light on in case she comes
    And I sleep with the light on in case she,
    Recently as I was waiting on a dream
    She came to visit lost and lonely me
    Oh she leaned over the bed and with…

chinese-happy.jpg
    BLACK
    mrussel1 said:
    I’ve been called a lot of things but mature was never one of them. Thank you. 
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mrussel1 said:
    Can you provide a detailed list of things you have been called over the last three and three quarter years?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    BLACK
    Lukin is way better than Got Some...
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Agreed. And RVM vs Gonna See My Friend? How is that even a question? What the hell drug is this lady on? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    BLACK
    mrussel1 said:
    Can you provide a detailed list of things you have been called over the last three and three quarter years?
    Fatty
    Fat Ass
    Fatso
    Wide Load
    Asshole
    Douchebag
    Dick
    Mother Fucker
    Cold Hearted Bastard
    Insensitive Jerk
    Dad
    Husband

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Got Some is just not that good. Better than The Fixer though. 
    BLACK
    mrussel1 said:
    Fatty
    Fat Ass
    Fatso
    Wide Load
    Asshole
    Douchebag
    Dick
    Mother Fucker
    Cold Hearted Bastard
    Insensitive Jerk
    Dad
    Husband

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Got Some is just not that good. Better than The Fixer though. 
    I'll never forget the first time I heard Lukin live on a broadcast.  Recorded it off the radio and listened to that song over and over.  Awesome song!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited May 2020
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    You can ride on three wheels, a woman on your knee or you can sulk in front of an empty bed where you ex used to lay.
    Johnny Guitar > Black
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mrussel1 said:
    Fatty
    Fat Ass
    Fatso
    Wide Load
    Asshole
    Douchebag
    Dick
    Mother Fucker
    Cold Hearted Bastard
    Insensitive Jerk
    Dad
    Husband

No one ever called you Master Quoter?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    BLACK
    Master..... something. Just not Quoter. 
  • kotton_crownkotton_crown Posts: 211
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Not even close
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Agreed. And RVM vs Gonna See My Friend? How is that even a question? What the hell drug is this lady on? 
    Gonna see my friend opened spectrum night 4, 'nuff said.  
    BLACK
    mcgruff10 said:
    They had to do that to bring the excitement level down a notch. If you start at ten there is no where to go but down. 

Gonna see my friend is just a dumb song. Not a bad song, just a dumb song. Backspacer is just not that good of an album. Some good to great songs but I will never sit down and listen to it again in it’s entirety. 
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mcgruff10 said:
    They had to do that to bring the excitement level down a notch. If you start at ten there is no where to go but down. 

Gonna see my friend is just a dumb song. Not a bad song, just a dumb song. Backspacer is just not that good of an album. Some good to great songs but I will never sit down and listen to it again in it’s entirety. 
    In all seriousness,  I think Unthought and Amongst the Waves come off pretty well live.  While im not thrilled when they start,  I'm fine with hearing them.  Nothing else from BS. From LB, I think the song LB is excellent live,  especially the ending jam. They can table the rest of the record. 
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

In all seriousness,  I think Unthought and Amongst the Waves come off pretty well live.  While im not thrilled when they start,  I'm fine with hearing them.  Nothing else from BS. From LB, I think the song LB is excellent live,  especially the ending jam. They can table the rest of the record. 
    Yeah I think LB the song is quite good, actually. The rest of the album is just kind of meh. I liked it at first and still think it's better than Backspacer (except for Johnny Guitar, obviously) but it's a tough listen at this point.

Hard to believe a song as wonderful as Johnny Guitar came out of an album as subpar as Backspacer. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    mcgruff10 said:

Backspacer is fine to me.  It’s not Vs. but there is plenty to appreciate in there for me.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    edited May 2020
    JOHNNY GUITAR
    Wow JG played only 17 times and I’ve seen it live 6 times. Sung my lungs out each time!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore