Who needs the vinyl single? Not me. Ten Club and band made good..now let's return the favor

13»

Comments

• Boring 
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    ski-bum said:
    vaggar99 said:
    I am not confused.  But, the kids of today should defend themselves against the 70s

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/29-does-vinyl-really-sound-better/
    You've never listened to vinyl, have you?
    That's why Sony developed SACD. Because they sound better than CD's. More like vinyl. 
    Thread doesn't deserve any more attention. 
    Send me my 45's.
    Let me guess, you own a Pono player.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Analog members paid the extra $20 because we want the physical copy. It’s great the digital
    songs are up, but I won’t even listen until the singles are delivered. It’s a whole experience different than listening on your computer or phone. 
    +1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    edited April 2020
    Analog members paid the extra $20 because we want the physical copy. It’s great the digital
    songs are up, but I won’t even listen until the singles are delivered. It’s a whole experience different than listening on your computer or phone. 
    Yeah, the mp3s are totally unlistenable.  Ask anyone.
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    vaggar99 said:
    Yeah, the mp3s are totally unlistenable.  Ask anyone.
    Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I'll opt for remaining ignorant on listening to vinyl.  The last time I did that was in the days of only vinyl and 8-track tapes...mp3's sound just fine to me.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2020
    MP3 is Flank steak, while Vinyl Records are Filet Mignon. Some people really like flank steak, either because their cheap, just don’t know better, or just don’t care. Either way, it’s personal preference. You get fed either way, just different experiences.

btw, I like filet 😉
    MedozK said:
    MP3 is Flank steak, while Vinyl Records are Filet Mignon. Some people really like flank steak, either because their cheap, just don’t know better, or just don’t care. Either way, it’s personal preference. You get fed either way, just different experiences.

btw, I like filet 😉
    For me it's more like the difference between a digital watch and an analog one.  The digital is cheaper, more accurate and more convenient.  Yet, somehow, so many of us like the old timey way.
    edited April 2020
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉
    For me it's more like the difference between a digital watch and an analog one.  The digital is cheaper, more accurate and more convenient.  Yet, somehow, so many of us like the old timey way.
    Some, yes like vinyl for Nostalgia. But for a person that cares about the way music is presented, then Vinyl is the superior listening medium. Again, some people don't care, like i'm sure some people can't tell the difference in songs played over the radio. It's up to the listener to choose what they prefer, but to totally dismiss vinyl as having no sound difference is obtuse.

And, to use the words "more accurate" to define MP3s is just really wrong.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    MedozK said:
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉
    Some, yes like vinyl for Nostalgia. But for a person that cares about the way music is presented, then Vinyl is the superior listening medium. Again, some people don't care, like i'm sure some people can't tell the difference in songs played over the radio. It's up to the listener to choose what they prefer, but to totally dismiss vinyl as having no sound difference is obtuse.

That is indeed the debate.  The problem with vinyl is it is not good on the lows and high ends of the frequency spectrum.  That "warm" that is so desirable from vinyl is actually a result of the sound being distorted slightly.  
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉

That is indeed the debate.  The problem with vinyl is it is not good on the lows and high ends of the frequency spectrum.  That "warm" that is so desirable from vinyl is actually a result of the sound being distorted slightly.  
    I guess that is all in what statistics you look at, just like in real life... you swearing by CNN or FOX News.
    MedozK said:
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉

I guess that is all in what statistics you look at, just like in real life... you swearing by CNN or FOX News.
    It is the truth.  Look.  I swing both ways here.  I also own both solid state and tube based guitar amps.  Same idea. The solid state amp is cheaper and generally reproduces a more accurate tone.  Tube amps distort the sound. Its that "organic" distortion that people pay the big bucks for.  

Me?  I like checking things out.  But at this point, maybe I just don't fall in love as easily as I used to.
    As I sort of expected, this thread has gone completely off the rails.  It was supposed to be thread asking fellow TC members to perhaps show a little empathy towards a small business in a time where empathy is needed most.  

Anyway, I will admit that the vinyl version of Gigaton is kickass and I am glad to own it. 
    vaggar99 said:
    As I sort of expected, this thread has gone completely off the rails.  It was supposed to be thread asking fellow TC members to perhaps show a little empathy towards a small business in a time where empathy is needed most.  

Anyway, I will admit that the vinyl version of Gigaton is kickass and I am glad to own it. 
    I thought the "off the rails" discussion was much better than the original,  :)
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    I repeat my question (: 

Was "2016 - Alive / Around and Around 7"" the last physical TC vinyl distributed ?  

looks like I never received anything else. ):
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,393
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉
    It's cheaper and more convenient,  but it's impossible for it to be more accurate than analog.  You can't listen to digital music,  it doesn't exist.  So the mp3 can only be as accurate as the original analog source. Purists like Medoz, me and many others,  prefer our music that's never been altered from the original chain into a bunch of bits.   I'd be open to arguments that lossless digital rivals pure analog,  but not compressed digital.  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I repeat my question (: 

Was "2016 - Alive / Around and Around 7"" the last physical TC vinyl distributed ?  

Yes

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    I repeat my question (: 

Yes
    thanks ! 

Now you guys can resume you Digital VS Analog boring discussion (: 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,185
    vaggar99 said:

To your original point, it could actually be more work for them if a handful of people were to opt out. They're gonna be sending out thousands of these things. I have to imagine the quantities are ordered and the mailing list is locked and loaded. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉
    How about digitally analog? And yes, this is my choice of clock on my phone. 

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    MedozK said:
    vaggar99 said:
    MedozK said:

btw, I like filet 😉

All digital is not created equal.  A CD is digital, and so is an MP3, but the former is vastly superior to the latter.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • It really comes down to I paid for something, and I expect to receive what I paid for.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    very old school here . still have my nakamichi cassette deck , techniques turntable and a multitude of bootlegs on cassettes that i made over 15 years .  converted the good ones to cd. lots of old school fun.  the singles great to have them don't care one way or the other. never lost a moments sleep . there are way more important things in life and this one doesn't register. how anyone can get this angry is beyond me. yes i know you are right. those that have been screaming for 3 years i guess will find something else to complain about.  
  • foodboy said:
    very old school here . still have my nakamichi cassette deck , techniques turntable and a multitude of bootlegs on cassettes that i made over 15 years .  converted the good ones to cd. lots of old school fun.  the singles great to have them don't care one way or the other. never lost a moments sleep . there are way more important things in life and this one doesn't register. how anyone can get this angry is beyond me. yes i know you are right. those that have been screaming for 3 years i guess will find something else to complain about.  
    Again if you pay for something you should expect that you receive it
    Be careful when you say things such:

"Ten Club and band made good..now let's return the favor"

Yes of course, we all do like Pearl Jam's music.. And yes we do all enjoy going to shows. 

Don't forget something though. You do not own anything to them and vise versa. 

Pearl Jam is also a brand. They are a business like any places in your town. 

They work with Incomes, Outcomes, Taxes, how to saves on taxes, how to save more money here and there. They have good accountants, and really good touring producers, and touring managers. 

I work in the industry. Concerts, or any types of live events, go from crowd to crowd, from town to town, with techniciens, producers, artists, programmers, bands, and nobody I do know does it for your smile ( which does not mean we are not happy doing it, and it's always fun when a magic night happens. ).

If you paid 20$ extra to the fan club, in order to receive the Ten Club 45rpm you were supposed to, ASK FOR IT. 

I like Pearl Jam.. They helped me to grow up when I was younger.. Although, they are not my personal friends, and I will give that 20$ to someone with needs... with real needs. .

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    - I love vinyl hence one of the reasons I’ve stayed an analog member
    - I want what I paid for not to do a “favor”
    - 10c is a business 
    - vinyl sounds far superior to MP3
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    PB11041 said:
    They addressed it with more excuses. I’m not mad about it or losing sleep on it, more important things to worry about. But the OP wants us to thank the ten club ? Are you serious? They treated their paying fans poorly , we paid them 3 years ago for this. Do this, go pay for a meal at a local restaurant and then wait 3 years to actually get the food with no updates and See how many people want to thank that restaurant for the food. Might be a bad example but stop kissing their butt. They fucked up and should apologize and send everyone signed 3 D view finder that they just release. Whatever the fuck that is
    Not surprisingly, this still is the dumbest take on this issue and yet, it gets repeated, time after time.
    Why do you have to attack people for how they feel about the situation? There is no reason besides you just wanting to be a jerk. Funny that I'm the one that gets threatened to be banned for trolling but no one seems to mind when the trolling favors the band.

With that being said, I still would like my physical copies but I'm not concerned if it takes another 3 years to get them or not. We have the digital versions which is totally fair. I appreciate they released them. I can also appreciate that the Ten Club was trying to work with a smaller local business to get items printed. That's a bummer that there were issues and I'm glad the Ten Club finally made progress with this issue.
  • Travels WithTravels With Posts: 579
    edited April 2020
    If we "return the favor" aren't we just leaving the TC with a bunch of 45's laying around with no place to ship them to?  I wouldn't want to do that to my friends at the TC.  They need that warehouse space for sorting mystery boxes.   
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America