Who needs the vinyl single? Not me. Ten Club and band made good..now let's return the favor

Comments

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Attaway77 said:
    JimmyV said:
     I do need the delivery mechanism. It includes the hunt for the record, opening it up and looking at the artwork and the liner notes... my ritual for storing each new album. 

Yep!!! Love rolling into record shops and just spending a couple hours in there going through albums... Finding a few, getting home, pouring a beverage, and just exploring the album as a whole. Yeah I do digital, just makes sense to have everything you enjoy in one place but exploring an album in it's physical capacity is an experience in it's own right.... Good shit....

Absolutely 👏🏼 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Attaway77 said:
    JimmyV said:
     I do need the delivery mechanism. It includes the hunt for the record, opening it up and looking at the artwork and the liner notes... my ritual for storing each new album. 

Yep!!! Love rolling into record shops and just spending a couple hours in there going through albums... Finding a few, getting home, pouring a beverage, and just exploring the album as a whole. Yeah I do digital, just makes sense to have everything you enjoy in one place but exploring an album in it's physical capacity is an experience in it's own right.... Good shit....

It’s about the only shopping I’ve ever liked... no question 😂
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I never play singles, so they get here when they get here. Definitely want em though. Was kinda hoping they'd go a little above and beyond because of the delay but que sera sera.

Vinyl to me is a little romantic but mostly about owning a physical copy of the music. With streaming services, you're at the mercy of whatever selections/versions they give you and you miss out on the booklet/artwork. I'm glad I have digital files, but I realllllly regret selling all my CDs back years ago.
    Bingo. And I’m starting to grab all the CDs again while they are cheap. CD nostalgia will be the next thing. 
    I really should start doing this but it feels so daunting. There's so much random shit that I can't find streaming anywhere aside from YouTube on occasion. I would kill to have some of those CDs back.
    Good record stores have loads of used CDs. If you are just getting back in you won’t have a problem finding some of your old treasures.
    I still mostly buy the wax... but I’ll grab a couple of CDs and throw them in a box. Don’t even own a CD player outside of my truck.  Cassettes and 8-tracks? Not there yet, but maybe someday lol
    Oh fuck, just thinking about how many tapes I threw out because they were ruined, back in the day....I rejoiced when CDs came out.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Great clickbait thread title.. 😂 
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I never play singles, so they get here when they get here. Definitely want em though. Was kinda hoping they'd go a little above and beyond because of the delay but que sera sera.

Vinyl to me is a little romantic but mostly about owning a physical copy of the music. With streaming services, you're at the mercy of whatever selections/versions they give you and you miss out on the booklet/artwork. I'm glad I have digital files, but I realllllly regret selling all my CDs back years ago.
    Bingo. And I’m starting to grab all the CDs again while they are cheap. CD nostalgia will be the next thing. 
    I really should start doing this but it feels so daunting. There's so much random shit that I can't find streaming anywhere aside from YouTube on occasion. I would kill to have some of those CDs back.
    Good record stores have loads of used CDs. If you are just getting back in you won’t have a problem finding some of your old treasures.
    I still mostly buy the wax... but I’ll grab a couple of CDs and throw them in a box. Don’t even own a CD player outside of my truck.  Cassettes and 8-tracks? Not there yet, but maybe someday lol
    Oh fuck, just thinking about how many tapes I threw out because they were ruined, back in the day....I rejoiced when CDs came out.  
    Truth.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    MedozK said:
    Great clickbait thread title.. 😂 
    oh well.  Jammers gotta have their merch.  
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Oh yes, cassette tapes.  When M and I were dating, a Henry Rollins cassette got stuck and wound all up into a knot in the truck stereo.  I threw it out of the window and into a cornfield.  I was kind of irritated and hungry.  We still talk about the death of that tape.  That was probably 1994.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • deadendp said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Oh yes, cassette tapes.  When M and I were dating, a Henry Rollins cassette got stuck and wound all up into a knot in the truck stereo.  I threw it out of the window and into a cornfield.  I was kind of irritated and hungry.  We still talk about the death of that tape.  That was probably 1994.
    Living in VT there was a way to use your cassette tape cases and then cassette tapes for good use, which did not help them to last long....and that was to scrape your windows 

Many cold mornings where the scraper could not be found/was broken/was taken by one of my siblings or parents and I said fuck it and used the case or tape 
    Because they were a mess they ended up on the floor in the back of the car.  
    :lol:.     I'm sure I tossed a few out the window when they jammed as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I remember my copy of Ten getting eaten because I played the hell out of it. 
    I also remember an evening involving shrooms and Ten was played about five times In a row and I mentioned... “is there anything else to listen to?” My buddy decides to take the tape out and pull all of the tape out of the cassette and proceed to hold the wad of tape to everyone’s ear asking “Hey, wanna hear some pearl jam?”
    Hilarious at the time... considering my state of mind lol. 

My big mistake - there wasn’t anything else to listen to. I think Snow was played until we left. Although Informer was somewhat catchy (and annoying all at once), it really forced out early exit. 
  • I have an old school Juke Box that was unfortunately passed down to me. Love it but wish my father was around instead. Regardless every single goes straight into the Juke Box. So I am glad for the digital downloads but I'd listen to them more on a 45.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    They addressed it with more excuses. I’m not mad about it or losing sleep on it, more important things to worry about. But the OP wants us to thank the ten club ? Are you serious? They treated their paying fans poorly , we paid them 3 years ago for this. Do this, go pay for a meal at a local restaurant and then wait 3 years to actually get the food with no updates and See how many people want to thank that restaurant for the food. Might be a bad example but stop kissing their butt. They fucked up and should apologize and send everyone signed 3 D view finder that they just release. Whatever the fuck that is
    Not surprisingly, this still is the dumbest take on this issue and yet, it gets repeated, time after time.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,012
    I bet there are 141 people here that would totally disagree with you.
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/267665/official-10club-annual-single-completist-list/p1

btw: The only way I'll listen to that compressed digital crap is when I can't listen to vinyl.

9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
    ski-bum said:
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/267665/official-10club-annual-single-completist-list/p1

btw: The only way I'll listen to that compressed digital crap is when I can't listen to vinyl.

To each his own.  The science does not bear out your "crap" claim.
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    I’m not clear on what favour was extended to the 10C Members who paid for the Analog membership. Or what favour those members should extend towards 10C.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,872
    PB11041 said:
    They addressed it with more excuses. I’m not mad about it or losing sleep on it, more important things to worry about. But the OP wants us to thank the ten club ? Are you serious? They treated their paying fans poorly , we paid them 3 years ago for this. Do this, go pay for a meal at a local restaurant and then wait 3 years to actually get the food with no updates and See how many people want to thank that restaurant for the food. Might be a bad example but stop kissing their butt. They fucked up and should apologize and send everyone signed 3 D view finder that they just release. Whatever the fuck that is
    Not surprisingly, this still is the dumbest take on this issue and yet, it gets repeated, time after time.
    What’s the dumbest take? Please clarify.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    ski-bum said:

So anytime you leave your house.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    PB11041 said:
    What’s the dumbest take? Please clarify.
    vaggar99 said:
    ski-bum said:

To each his own.  The science does not bear out your "crap" claim.
    My ears do.
    JimmyV said:
    ski-bum said:

So anytime you leave your house.
    Good luck with that.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
  • brewdog123brewdog123 Posts: 649
    OP has bad ears and opinions 
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
  • moozeekfanmoozeekfan Posts: 194
    PeterED said:
    I’m not clear on what favour was extended to the 10C Members who paid for the Analog membership. Or what favour those members should extend towards 10C.
    This.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
    I had my turntable put away since CD's came out. Got it back out a few years ago and I remember the first new record I played on it. I couldn't believe the difference in sound. I was so noticeable that digital doesn't even come close. Anyone that says there is no difference, hasn't listened to vinyl on good equipment.
    OP lives in the year 2020.  

Many of you, like me, got into vinyl based on the bands own marketing gimmicks.  

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have something touchy-feely like a record.  

But, if you are relying on that to get the full enjoyment out of your music, you are truly shooting yourself in the foot.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    So this isn’t truly about returning a favor. It’s just picking a fight with people that like vinyl.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    So this isn’t truly about returning a favor. It’s just picking a fight with people that like vinyl.
    it is not.  but, i also have to defend my position, being the OP and all.
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 791
    I paid for it so yeah, i'd like to receive them. hopefully prior to 2025.
    OP is confused
    I am not confused.  But, the kids of today should defend themselves against the 70s

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/29-does-vinyl-really-sound-better/
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    I am missing singles since year 2017, is it that year they stopped releasing the ten club vinyl ? Last one I have seems to be 2016 ( 2016 - Alive / Around and Around 7" ) 

-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
    vaggar99 said:
    I am not confused.  But, the kids of today should defend themselves against the 70s

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/29-does-vinyl-really-sound-better/
    You've never listened to vinyl, have you?
    That's why Sony developed SACD. Because they sound better than CD's. More like vinyl. 
    Thread doesn't deserve any more attention. 
    Send me my 45's.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    Analog members paid the extra $20 because we want the physical copy. It’s great the digital
    songs are up, but I won’t even listen until the singles are delivered. It’s a whole experience different than listening on your computer or phone. 
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23