Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    Biden
    tbergs said:
    saw this on twitter. great ad.   There have been a lot of really good anti-trump messages being put out this year. well done.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    edited October 2020
    Biden
    First let me say - Biden is going to win.  It’s very clear.  I really don’t see a path for Trump.

But in the bizarre scenario that somehow Trump wins - would there be any clearer repudiation of the Obama Administration?  In theory, Obama resulted in Trump in the first place, then his VP loses to him.  

Again, it’s purely hypothetical as it’s not happening, but interested to see what others think. 
    While I do think Obama made Trump possible (look at all the militia groups that popped up during Obama...no, though, it's not about race), I really don't think Trump's reelection (which I think is a done deal) has anything to do with Obama.  Well, maybe it does...it's the anger about the very fact Obama was president that helps him linger.  But I don't really think it's about Biden's connection to Obama.  Trump was going to beat any Democratic opponent.  The last four Dem presidents are Obama, Clinton, Carter, and Kennedy (wow).  Three of them won because they were young and had magnetic personalities that drew voters in.  The other won because his opponent pardoned Nixon.

The Dems did not have a Kennedy, Obama, or Clinton this time. Republicans don't lose presidential elections (Ford, being the exception). Strong Democratic candidates go and take them. That was Obama. That was Clinton. That's not Biden.

I don't think anything about Obama's presidency has been repudiated, except for his race.  Generally speaking, he was just another Democratic president.  In 2008, I did not think America was ready to elect a black president. I was wrong. But it turns out America was not ready to have a black president. Enough people would vote for Obama.  But a critical mass of people would react very negative and angrily to that vote. We became more divided under Obama. But Obama did not do the dividing..
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    Biden
    Wis don’t forget about LBJ.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,476
    edited October 2020
    Biden
    dignin said:
    I was more fired up for that ad than I was the game I was watching. lol

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    Biden
    dignin said:

love the music selection. definitely pandering to the gen x vote there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wis don’t forget about LBJ.   

I totally did...I'll put him in a new category: "Elected because he recently replaced a popular president who was assassinated."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Biden
    Check out this insult Trump threw at Biden's at yesterday's rally in Nevada, holy cow (insert sarcasm):

“If you vote for Biden, he will surrender your jobs to China. He will surrender your future to the virus. He’s going to lock down, he’s going to want us to lock down,” Trump said.

“He’ll listen to the scientists,” Trump continued. “If I listened totally to the scientists, we would right now have a country that would be in a massive depression, instead of, we’re like a rocket ship. Take a look at the numbers.”

• Options
    Biden
    "he'll listen to the experts" is about as Trumpian an insult as it gets. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:
    Check out this insult Trump threw at Biden's at yesterday's rally in Nevada, holy cow (insert sarcasm):

“If you vote for Biden, he will surrender your jobs to China. He will surrender your future to the virus. He’s going to lock down, he’s going to want us to lock down,” Trump said.

“He’ll listen to the scientists,” Trump continued. “If I listened totally to the scientists, we would right now have a country that would be in a massive depression, instead of, we’re like a rocket ship. Take a look at the numbers.”

this is the worst diss track i have ever heard.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    mcgruff10 said:

The reply in the debate is so easy. I am hopeful Bidens team is smart enough to have it ready for him

“Mr Trump, restaurants, bars, cinemas and many other businesses will suffer if customers do not feel safe. There is a reason economists always point to customer confidence as a basic foundation  for the economy, and covid is no different. 

Get infections low, THEN reopen. It’s a simple two step process you clearly do not understand.“
  • Options
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:

The reply in the debate is so easy. I am hopeful Bidens team is smart enough to have it ready for him

“Mr Trump, restaurants, bars, cinemas and many other businesses will suffer if customers do not feel safe. There is a reason economists always point to customer confidence as a basic foundation  for the economy, and covid is no different. 

Get infections low, THEN reopen. It’s a simple two step process you clearly do not understand.“
    just keep shit open with mask and distancing protocols and it will be all fine. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Biden
    i voted today. got there at 07:30 am. polls opened at 08:00. There were already over 150 people in line ahead of me when i got there. this first pic shows the people in front of me at 07:30. the entrance is the little black awning barely visible. the 2nd pic is the line behind me at 07:55. I got into the building about 08:55 and was voted and on the road home by about 09:10. i should have taken a pic of the line when i left because it was even longer than this 2nd pic.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:

just keep shit open with mask and distancing protocols and it will be all fine. 

I said that months ago. I totally underestimated the unwillingness of Americans to look out for their fellow humans this way.  And I also underestimated the misinformation (and there market for it).  It's partly Trump, but it's not just Trump.

Now?  I won't overestimate the impact that "he'll listen to the scientists" will have.  It will have almost none.
  • Options
    Biden

• Options
    Biden

• Options
    Biden
    i'm liking the voting enthusiasm i've been seeing. that points to a blue wave. or at the very least, a strong blue current
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    OnWis97 said:
    First let me say - Biden is going to win.  It’s very clear.  I really don’t see a path for Trump.

But in the bizarre scenario that somehow Trump wins - would there be any clearer repudiation of the Obama Administration?  In theory, Obama resulted in Trump in the first place, then his VP loses to him.  

Again, it’s purely hypothetical as it’s not happening, but interested to see what others think. 
    While I do think Obama made Trump possible (look at all the militia groups that popped up during Obama...no, though, it's not about race), I really don't think Trump's reelection (which I think is a done deal) has anything to do with Obama.  Well, maybe it does...it's the anger about the very fact Obama was president that helps him linger.  But I don't really think it's about Biden's connection to Obama.  Trump was going to beat any Democratic opponent.  The last four Dem presidents are Obama, Clinton, Carter, and Kennedy (wow).  Three of them won because they were young and had magnetic personalities that drew voters in.  The other won because his opponent pardoned Nixon.

The Dems did not have a Kennedy, Obama, or Clinton this time. Republicans don't lose presidential elections (Ford, being the exception). Strong Democratic candidates go and take them. That was Obama. That was Clinton. That's not Biden.

I don't think anything about Obama's presidency has been repudiated, except for his race.  Generally speaking, he was just another Democratic president.  In 2008, I did not think America was ready to elect a black president. I was wrong. But it turns out America was not ready to have a black president. Enough people would vote for Obama.  But a critical mass of people would react very negative and angrily to that vote. We became more divided under Obama. But Obama did not do the dividing..
    I disagree with that, Trump would not beat any democratic opponent. I think Hilary was about the only one he could beat. 2016 had some of the mist disliked candiates.  One of the demographics Trump won in 2016 was the group that disliked both, but had to pick one. If the democrats put up someone new that wasn't so disliked, he/she would have beaten Trump. 
    I think for the same reason Trump will lose this time. That middle of the ground that had to pick the lesser of the two evils last time will probably swing (or already has swung) towards Biden.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    Biden
    dignin said:

hey hey hey. Its always fun to watch the Steelers beat up on the Browns.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Biden
    i'm liking the voting enthusiasm i've been seeing. that points to a blue wave. or at the very least, a strong blue current
    Early voting equals blue?
  • Options
    Biden
    the enthusiasm is definitely there. this is st louis, mo. it is pretty dem leaning. you get 30-45 minutes outside of st louis suburbs or kansas city suburbs and it is all trump country. most of the people around me in line were dems who do not trust our governor, and thus our elections.

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    edited October 2020
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:
    Whether it be mail-in voting or early voting, more avenues/forms of voting can increase voter turnout. When voter turnout is high it leans Dem. Furthermore, if we're talking early voting in the sense that's essentially mail-in ballots being accepted early then, yes, this helps Dems as applications for mail-in ballots have been overwhelmingly more Dem.
  • Options
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:
    not necessarily early voting on its own, voter turnout as a whole. it seems a lot higher than usual across the board. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Biden
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I disagree with that, Trump would not beat any democratic opponent. I think Hilary was about the only one he could beat. 2016 had some of the mist disliked candiates.  One of the demographics Trump won in 2016 was the group that disliked both, but had to pick one. If the democrats put up someone new that wasn't so disliked, he/she would have beaten Trump. 
    I think for the same reason Trump will lose this time. That middle of the ground that had to pick the lesser of the two evils last time will probably swing (or already has swung) towards Biden.

I meant this year...I don't think any one of them (Bernie, Yang, Warren, Klobuchar, etc.) beats Trump.  Because Dems need someone with more pull...
    ...you might be right about 2016.  The Dems were stupid thinking it was Hillary's "turn."  People didn't like Trump...but he was a bit of an unknown.  They'd hated Hillary for decades.
  • Options
    Biden
    mcgruff10 said:

High turnout does....it looks like we may be headed that way.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,967
    Biden
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

hey hey hey. Its always fun to watch the Steelers beat up on the Browns.....
    Truer words have never been written!

I'm planning to vote in person on election day.  The last presidential election I had to wait in line, but overall the process took about three minutes.  I'd be surprised if this year is the same.  Every other election since 2013 has been walk in, cast ballot, leave.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,476
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh my goodness. Do my eyes deceive me or is this finally a faint sliver of optimism from mr onwise?!

lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh my goodness. Do my eyes deceive me or is this finally a faint sliver of optimism from mr onwise?!

lol

Well, it's common knowledge that high turnout is good for the team in the blue uniforms.  The question is, whether this early voting in an indication of high turnout.  Early voting has become trendy and one has to think that Covid is going to make these numbers explode.  Election Day voting will be minimal, I'd guess.

So much of this feels like 2016 that I probably won't believe Trump can lose until such time as it's official.  But when looking for good signs, big early turnouts might be one. 

(as an aside, hats off to anyone that will wait several hours to vote, but it's asinine that it happens. I'm grateful to live in a state in which the Governor is not service to The Leader...I was in and out in 15 minutes, in a mixed-race urban city)