Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    is this the shy trump voter people keep saying exists? couldn't get past the first few paragraphs. paywall kicked in. 
    The silent Trump voter definitely exists. Half my work meetings someone brings up how Republicans and those who vote for trump are racist. That’s basically what our “diversity trainings” are, It shouldn’t be any surprise that Trump voters are often silent when in mixed company.
    Now what I don’t agree with is that transferring into a poll. I don’t see the silent supporter not being honest in a poll.
    There are no significant amounts of shy trump voters. This has been debunked numerous times. Biden does just as well with online polls as he does with over the phone polls. If you're "shy" you probably are more likely to lie to a pollster over the phone as opposed to a more anonymous online survey. If there was a more significant difference between these kinds of polls, that would lend credence to this mythology but there isn't much at all. 

And just anecdotally, I have never met a shy Trump voter. Every one I've met is excited to put their Trump fanaticism in your face. If anything, I would bet there are more shy Biden voters out there. 
    I’ll have to disagree. When half our staff meetings and nearly all of our diversity trainings (of which we’ve had several since the beginning of the school year) the leaders of the meetings mention republicans and conservatives are racist, they become silent on the topic. Not all obviously. But rather than be labeled a racist for simply being conservative, it’s easier to not engage in the conversation in the work place.
    Thats not to say there aren’t silent or shy Biden voters too.
    Everyone will have anecdotal incidents like what you are describing. But there is just no statistical evidence to prove that there is a significant amount that will swing an election. This was the case in 2016 and 2018... and all indicators appear 2020 is no different. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-supporters-arent-shy-but-polls-could-still-be-missing-some-of-them/

Bigger question I have is why are the leaders of your company calling republicans and conservatives racist in your meetings? That seems pretty inappropriate. 
    totally
    Really? At this point in US history, y'all wonder why this is happening? The party and movement have been hijacked by bad actors to the point at which the terms have become synonymous with racist/racism. I don't know if the party I've voted for on more than a few occasions will ever gain back the respect it once had. And the politicians who continue to use the R moniker but who aren't in line with these bad actors are lambasted as "republicans in name only" or "RINOs." At this point, I feel like it's a losing battle for these old school GOP folks; they should just rebrand, and take all of their convention funds with them. Let the bad actors fund their own assault on democracy and common decency.

Replace "police" with "republicans and conservatives," and I think you're pretty close to what the public discourse is on this these days.

Again, a conservative Supreme Court just decided this week that black (and lower-income) lives don't matter. Quite literally. They won't even be counted among US citizens. Systemic racism.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Biden
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    is this the shy trump voter people keep saying exists? couldn't get past the first few paragraphs. paywall kicked in. 
    The silent Trump voter definitely exists. Half my work meetings someone brings up how Republicans and those who vote for trump are racist. That’s basically what our “diversity trainings” are, It shouldn’t be any surprise that Trump voters are often silent when in mixed company.
    Now what I don’t agree with is that transferring into a poll. I don’t see the silent supporter not being honest in a poll.
    There are no significant amounts of shy trump voters. This has been debunked numerous times. Biden does just as well with online polls as he does with over the phone polls. If you're "shy" you probably are more likely to lie to a pollster over the phone as opposed to a more anonymous online survey. If there was a more significant difference between these kinds of polls, that would lend credence to this mythology but there isn't much at all. 

And just anecdotally, I have never met a shy Trump voter. Every one I've met is excited to put their Trump fanaticism in your face. If anything, I would bet there are more shy Biden voters out there. 
    I’ll have to disagree. When half our staff meetings and nearly all of our diversity trainings (of which we’ve had several since the beginning of the school year) the leaders of the meetings mention republicans and conservatives are racist, they become silent on the topic. Not all obviously. But rather than be labeled a racist for simply being conservative, it’s easier to not engage in the conversation in the work place.
    Everyone will have anecdotal incidents like what you are describing. But there is just no statistical evidence to prove that there is a significant amount that will swing an election. This was the case in 2016 and 2018... and all indicators appear 2020 is no different. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-supporters-arent-shy-but-polls-could-still-be-missing-some-of-them/

Bigger question I have is why are the leaders of your company calling republicans and conservatives racist in your meetings? That seems pretty inappropriate. 
    totally
    Really? At this point in US history, y'all wonder why this is happening? The party and movement have been hijacked by bad actors to the point at which the terms have become synonymous with racist/racism. I don't know if the party I've voted for on more than a few occasions will ever gain back the respect it once had. And the politicians who continue to use the R moniker but who aren't in line with these bad actors are lambasted as "republicans in name only" or "RINOs." At this point, I feel like it's a losing battle for these old school GOP folks; they should just rebrand, and take all of their convention funds with them. Let the bad actors fund their own assault on democracy and common decency.

Replace "police" with "republicans and conservatives," and I think your pretty close to what the public discourse is on this these days.

Again, a conservative Supreme Court just decided this week that black (and lower-income) lives don't matter. Quite literally. They won't even be counted among US citizens. Systemic racism.
    calling every member of a certain group (effectively half the country) in a professional team meeting racist is inappropriate.

full fucking stop. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Biden
    we have conservatives/republicans here. are you saying, unequivocally, that they are all racists? 

there's quite a few here that I think would rightly be pretty pissed off at that, if in fact that is what you are saying. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

totally

Replace "police" with "republicans and conservatives," and I think your pretty close to what the public discourse is on this these days.

Spot on! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Biden
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

totally

Nah.

I do not think it is okay for any manager of a company to talk like that about a group of people. Pretty sure it would be against most companies policies and procedures. It's just not professional. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Biden
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

totally

Nah.

I do not think it is okay for any manager of a company to talk like that about a group of people. Pretty sure it would be against most companies policies and procedures. It's just not professional. 
    You're both right.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I 100% agree with the last statement. That’s why I not only hate our “diversity trainings,” but also find them more harmful than good. It’s an open anti white, conservative/republican and police meetings. We had a 2 day training last year and at the end of the first day they had about a 10 minute open mic to share your feelings. A teacher of color said “I’m going home today hating all white people.” And that was appropriate. Not only appropriate, but I felt the goal for the day. They don’t create equality by bringing groups up, but rather by bringing everyone else down.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Biden
    The above sounds incredibly personalized. I have no idea who you are, where you work, etc etc. Not to say you can't come away with this purview, but that is because it's your personal experience. Diversity trainings are definitely not like this at most places. Putting them in air quotes just seems to show your disdain for such things - most expectedly, understandably, due to your personal experience. Who knows if you're not one of these white Republicans that is perceiving this workshop to be taken as such. I don't know, none of us know. What I can say definitively is that this is not how diversity trainings are operated. Sounds more like a problem with the professionals involved.
  • Biden
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I 100% agree with the last statement. That’s why I not only hate our “diversity trainings,” but also find them more harmful than good. It’s an open anti white, conservative/republican and police meetings. We had a 2 day training last year and at the end of the first day they had about a 10 minute open mic to share your feelings. A teacher of color said “I’m going home today hating all white people.” And that was appropriate. Not only appropriate, but I felt the goal for the day. They don’t create equality by bringing groups up, but rather by bringing everyone else down.
    I watched a part of the Espy Awards on ESPN, which aired at the height of George Floyd hysteria. They did a segment on racial injustice that showed a few old still photos of lynchings; photos where a black person is hanging and a group of white people are cheering. Now, while I agree that a more accurate American history should be taught in school, and the Native American genocide and African slavery shouldn't be so glossed over, is the fucking sports awards show the best place to be showing these photos? An adolescent black kid that tuned in because he voted for Lebron for best dunk or whatever gets his first exposure to photos like that on the sports awards show, and like the woman in your meeting, might just conclude that he should hate white people. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    The above sounds incredibly personalized. I have no idea who you are, where you work, etc etc. Not to say you can't come away with this purview, but that is because it's your personal experience. Diversity trainings are definitely not like this at most places. Putting them in air quotes just seems to show your disdain for such things - most expectedly, understandably, due to your personal experience. Who knows if you're not one of these white Republicans that is perceiving this workshop to be taken as such. I don't know, none of us know. What I can say definitively is that this is not how diversity trainings are operated. Sounds more like a problem with the professionals involved.
    Well that was a direct quote from another employee saying “I’m going home hating all white people.” I don’t see how that would happen and how that would be appropriate if the message wasn’t almost entirely negative towards white people and groups they are affiliated with.
    I did put it in quotes because of my experience and disdain for them. Maybe most aren’t like that, but they are in my district. I was even told it’s racist and insensitive to be pro police after many examples of anti-police statements were made. I can’t think of a single discussion or example of lifting blacks or other minorities, but the messages are consistently bringing down white people and their groups (which often include republicans and conservatives).
    I hope you’re right and this is not how they are intended to go.
    edited October 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

totally

Replace "police" with "republicans and conservatives," and I think you're pretty close to what the public discourse is on this these days.

calling every member of a certain group (effectively half the country) in a professional team meeting racist is inappropriate.

full fucking stop. 
    I never said it was appropriate; I merely highlighted why some administrative types might feel emboldened to say these things at this point in US history. That doesn’t make it appropriate. It’s just where we are as a nation. 
    we have conservatives/republicans here. are you saying, unequivocally, that they are all racists? 

there's quite a few here that I think would rightly be pretty pissed off at that, if in fact that is what you are saying. 
    See above. Did you read my post? Did I personally express that I have or support these views? If so, please show me where so that I can edit.

Nah.

Where’s the part where I said it’s okay or professional? Let me know, and I’ll edit accordingly. Thanks.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Biden
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

totally

full fucking stop. 

Not half by a long shot
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Biden
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:

totally

full fucking stop. 
    I never said it was appropriate; I merely highlighted why some administrative types might feel emboldened to say these things at this point in US history. That doesn’t make it appropriate. It’s just where we are as a nation. 

See above. Did you read my post? Did I personally express that I have or support these views? If so, please show me where so that I can edit.

Nah.

Where’s the part where I said it’s okay or professional? Let me know, and I’ll edit accordingly. Thanks.
    So I don't understand the point of your post then. I mean we all agree that what has become of the republican party is a fucking disgrace/travesty, whatever you want to call it. People may have inferred that you were condoning that sort of talk from superiors at work because you were...you know, replying to a post about an incident that happened at work. Makes sense.

But glad to see that is not the case though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm sitting this one out
    OK. Understanding why something is happening is not the same as condoning that thing.

Just seems that some of y’all are so quick to pick a fight, glossing over any nuance and assigning your fellow posters political/social positions that they don’t necessarily have. 

For example

Poster 1: I understand the BLM protestors. 
    Poster 2: So you condone riots? You’re a monster. 

Or

Poster 1: I understand those folks worried about an uptick in violent crime in urban areas. 
    Poster 2: You’re a racist monster!

It’s just where the discourse is today. Helluva a way to get know each other, IMO. 

But y’all seem to have a good time with it. Enjoy!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Biden
    dankind said:
    OK. Understanding why something is happening is not the same as condoning that thing.

Just seems that some of y’all are so quick to pick a fight, glossing over any nuance and assigning your fellow posters political/social positions that they don’t necessarily have. 

For example

Poster 1: I understand the BLM protestors. 
    Poster 2: So you condone riots? You’re a monster. 

Or

Poster 1: I understand those folks worried about an uptick in violent crime in urban areas. 
    Poster 2: You’re a racist monster!

It’s just where the discourse is today. Helluva a way to get know each other, IMO. 

But y’all seem to have a good time with it. Enjoy!
    that's really not comparable to the post i was responding to.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Biden
    and not only that, i simply agreed with juggler that it was unprofessional for that leader to say that in a meeting. and that prompted you to ask me why I/we wonder why it's happening and to go on a diatribe about bad actors and the republican party? did I say i wondered anything?

no, i said it was unprofessional. 

talk about the discourse of the moment. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm sitting this one out
    and not only that, i simply agreed with juggler that it was unprofessional for that leader to say that in a meeting. and that prompted you to ask me why I/we wonder why it's happening and to go on a diatribe about bad actors and the republican party? did I say i wondered anything?

Cool. So the post below never happened then?

Good to know.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited October 2020
    Biden

Agreed.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Biden
    dankind said:

Cool. So the post below never happened then?

Good to know.
    yeah, that was in response to your ramblings. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ruddy Ghouliani’s daughter pleading for an intervention. By voting for Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden. His own daughter. Let that sink in.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Biden
    Ruddy Ghouliani’s daughter pleading for an intervention. By voting for Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden. His own daughter. Let that sink in.
    i wouldn't say that's really a "let that sink in" moment. many children have different politics than their parents. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ruddy Ghouliani’s daughter pleading for an intervention. By voting for Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden. His own daughter. Let that sink in.
    i wouldn't say that's really a "let that sink in" moment. many children have different politics than their parents. 
    Name the last child of one of the former personal attorneys to the POTUS who spoke up in such a manner. Unpresidented.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Biden
    So Guthrie had a good night, eh?  
  • mrussel1 said:
    Should have asked if Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat had ever paid for an abortion.

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    Should have asked if Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat had ever paid for an abortion.
    Yikes!  
    I can't believe Trump said he didn't know what was wrong with his lungs while he had Covid.. as if he never bothered to ask or listen to the doctors.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yikes!  
    I can't believe Trump said he didn't know what was wrong with his lungs while he had Covid.. as if he never bothered to ask or listen to the doctors.  
    Seriously, though. In regards to Roe V. Wade why wouldn’t you ask that question? Seems to me that Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat can’t admit nor own or take responsibility for ANYTHING.

Yet, it’s something about mixing up names. 700  club gots killa jebus waps, yo. I was told.

Brilliantati©
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yikes!  

I changed the channel shortly after that.  Only so many bold faced lies one can listen to.

As someone who voted Republican more often than not...and would classify himself as Conservative on many issues as recently as the later part of 2015 (when I started to recognize that Trump was actually getting support for President), it is obvious to me that I can never go back.
    These people are fucking jokers.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yikes!  

I changed the channel shortly after that.  Only so many bold faced lies one can listen to.

As someone who voted Republican more often than not...and would classify himself as Conservative on many issues as recently as the later part of 2015 (when I started to recognize that Trump was actually getting support for President), it is obvious to me that I can never go back.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya, buddy!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yikes!  

That was me in 2008 once McCain picked Palin
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville