Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:
    Anyone claiming now or forever that they voted for Trump because of "gaffes" by the Democratic nominee is a liar. They voted for Trump because they wanted to and went shopping for a rationale.

Still...should have been Warren.
    I think it’s more about convincing people to get off their ass and vote. People that felt compelled to go vote for Obama but didn’t feel the same passion for Clinton. 
    I think there’s even less passion for Biden than there was for Clinton. Biden just has the good fortune of going up against Trump during Trump’s dreadful Covid response. Take away Covid, and Trump’s still his shitty self, but with a good economy and no pandemic blood on his hands. Plus, Biden would have to be traveling around the country giving daily speeches in front of live audiences if not for Covid. 

Disagree. Clinton was loathed by half the country and that was known long before she became the nominee. Plus, she had gone through an ugly primary fight with Obama in 2008 and many Democrats remembered that. Biden really has never been disliked the same way.
    I don't think Biden is bad at all.  I think he is a fundamentally good human being.  Is he less articulate than Obama?  Sure.  But if you know what he means and you think his heart is in the right place (which I do), then why cast stones?  

I love Biden. I just think he is old, straight, white and male, and it is 2020 in America. It surprises me that this is the direction the Democratic party chose to go in. Even before BLM exploded, I would have thought the mood of the party was for a more diverse candidate. Plus, I really thought the winner in 2016 would be the last Boomer to serve as President.
    I think the voters took a pragmatic approach to this election, and I'm frankly impressed by it.  Biden made the case that he can get us back to 'normal', not over steer, and remove the cancer from the office.  That was his argument and people were clearly onboard with it.  

Eh, maybe. I think any voter that was convinced by Joe saying he could work with Senate Republicans was sold a bill of goods. Removing the cancer from office and having a POTUS that acts presidential is about all we can hope for.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:
    Anyone claiming now or forever that they voted for Trump because of "gaffes" by the Democratic nominee is a liar. They voted for Trump because they wanted to and went shopping for a rationale.

I think it’s more about convincing people to get off their ass and vote. People that felt compelled to go vote for Obama but didn’t feel the same passion for Clinton. 
    I think there’s even less passion for Biden than there was for Clinton. Biden just has the good fortune of going up against Trump during Trump’s dreadful Covid response. Take away Covid, and Trump’s still his shitty self, but with a good economy and no pandemic blood on his hands. Plus, Biden would have to be traveling around the country giving daily speeches in front of live audiences if not for Covid. 

Disagree. Clinton was loathed by half the country and that was known long before she became the nominee. Plus, she had gone through an ugly primary fight with Obama in 2008 and many Democrats remembered that. Biden really has never been disliked the same way.
    I don't think Biden is bad at all.  I think he is a fundamentally good human being.  Is he less articulate than Obama?  Sure.  But if you know what he means and you think his heart is in the right place (which I do), then why cast stones?  

I love Biden. I just think he is old, straight, white and male, and it is 2020 in America. It surprises me that this is the direction the Democratic party chose to go in. Even before BLM exploded, I would have thought the mood of the party was for a more diverse candidate. Plus, I really thought the winner in 2016 would be the last Boomer to serve as President.
    I think the voters took a pragmatic approach to this election, and I'm frankly impressed by it.  Biden made the case that he can get us back to 'normal', not over steer, and remove the cancer from the office.  That was his argument and people were clearly onboard with it.  

I'd be with you if it was the Biden of at least 10 years ago.  That guy would run the score up in debates with Trump.  But he just seems so freaking old right now. He used to be sharp-tongued with just a hint of edgy cynicism that I loved (rubbed some the wrong way, I bet). That would have served him well against Trump. But now he's just too old to be a great candidate.  And I question his ability to do the job. 

Of course he's going to put more effort in than Trump, by default and surround himself with far better people.  I'm voting for him but I don't like the pick. Pragmatic made the most sense.  We're not going from Trump to Bernie.  We're just not. We have to get back to normal before we start going for actual progressiveness. 

Unfortunately, the party that brought us a youthful fresh face in 2008 didn't really have a deep bench.  Biden represents "back to normal" but again, I'd have liked  the 60-year old version much better.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I think you give the average voter way too much credit. 
    Then the other option is that the country the media and Twitter tells us about doesn't really exist.  It's actually centrist and moderate.  If that's the case, then don't expect a progressive firebrand to be the next D nominee any time soon.  
    I think that people voted Biden because they saw him as the “safe” choice to be able to take down Trump. And I think that they saw it that way because the DNC and the big Democrat donors wanted them to see it that way. Just like in 2008 and 2016 they wanted someone that had a history of towing the line. Luckily in 2008 there was a juggernaut that was too good to be beaten by the usual tactics. The same thing happened in 2016, but it happened during the general election instead of the primaries. 
  • Options
    Biden
    The Biden who spanked Paul Ryan on the debate stage in 2012 is the guy we want to show up in 2020.

• Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    The Biden who spanked Paul Ryan on the debate stage in 2012 is the guy we want to show up in 2020.
    Correct. I would also like to be the same weight that I was in 2012. Unfortunately I don’t think either of these scenarios are likely. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,674
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Then the other option is that the country the media and Twitter tells us about doesn't really exist.  It's actually centrist and moderate.  If that's the case, then don't expect a progressive firebrand to be the next D nominee any time soon.  
    I think that people voted Biden because they saw him as the “safe” choice to be able to take down Trump. And I think that they saw it that way because the DNC and the big Democrat donors wanted them to see it that way. Just like in 2008 and 2016 they wanted someone that had a history of towing the line. Luckily in 2008 there was a juggernaut that was too good to be beaten by the usual tactics. The same thing happened in 2016, but it happened during the general election instead of the primaries. 
    I agree on the safe choice, but the statement about the donors is dead wrong.  He had basically zero money on Super Tuesday.  He was swamped financially by Sanders and Warren.  He won handily in states where he didn't even advertise and no one advertised for him.  Biden's wins on Super Tuesday were out of nowhere, no money, no ground game.  People voted for him for a variety of reasons, but the reality is that he is actually the grass roots candidate for this cycle.  
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I agree on the safe choice, but the statement about the donors is dead wrong.  He had basically zero money on Super Tuesday.  He was swamped financially by Sanders and Warren.  He won handily in states where he didn't even advertise and no one advertised for him.  Biden's wins on Super Tuesday were out of nowhere, no money, no ground game.  People voted for him for a variety of reasons, but the reality is that he is actually the grass roots candidate for this cycle.  
    But wasn’t the vast majority of Sander’s and Warren’s money from small donations? I don’t know that for sure, but I’m guessing that Biden had the support of the mainstream Dem super-PACs and such. I honestly don’t know though. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    How long until this becomes a reality and how vehemently will people justify it.  I mean they let Reagan serve out his term.
    Thanks for pushing Putin on the ritz. Got an answer? Here’s mine, 160,000 covid dead and counting, how worse can it get before, “it just goes away like things go away?”
    So Biden is going to impose a country wide economic shutdown and mitigate the spread when he steps in, or is he gonna magic it away? With how far out of control Covid is what do you see Biden doing that will mitigate the spread? Or even stop it all together? I get it Trump is literally the worst, that doesn’t blind me to the fact that Biden would be a terrible candidate against any normal Republican if any of those are even left at this point.
    What’s the provenance of the meme you posted? Did you come up with that yourself or are you pushing a false narrative that Sleepy Woke Joe is demented and unfit for the position? If you think Sleepy Woke Joe is worse than the word salad “it’ll go away like things go away,” and “everyone is saying that, it’s in the books, read the manuals,” that doesn’t have to be made into a pretend or alternative reality via meme or doctored twitter photo or news clip, then clearly we’re fucked, particularly if “our” side is going to propagate the myth. Thanks for helping.

I expect Sleepy Woke Joe to listen to the experts and scientists and Marshall a coordinated federal response of expanded and rapid testing, contact tracing and publicly repeatedly stating that people need to wear masks, stay home, social distance and if deaths continue unabated, talk about, propose, float the idea of a national 90 day lockdown, with a plan to mitigate the impact of such a drastic action. You know lead.

How many here want to be where we are today 6,9,12 months from now? Because that’s where we’re going to be if people don’t wake the fuck up and someone leads us out of this mess. 

But boats with wheels and dogs and pancakes. Thoughts and prayers.
    I think sleepy woke Joe is a sleepwalking incoherent at times word salad.  I will still be voting for him because the only other choice is Trump and I'm not an idiot.  I will continue to criticize him and post memes if I think they are funny.  If you think a humorous meme about a pancake with a bone is more likely to get someone to abstain from voting or flipping to Trump, than some nonsense that Joe says and has to have his media team clarify I don't know what to tell you Comrade!  I personally think Joe is too deep in the pocket of Capitalism to propose an actual 90 day shutdown at this point but we will see what the future holds.
    How many months and deaths are you willing to settle for before you and the “kinda dems” decide Sleepy Woke Joe needs all the help he can get? Funny memes aside?

Its naive to think that social media doesn’t influence how people think and potentially vote.  People really need to start to not only pay attention to, but to understand, what Putin on the ritz and other nefarious actors are up to and the impact that it’s having. All without firing a shot or spilling their own blood. Feel free to contribute to it though, it’s Murica.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    static111 said:
    They really should just lock him down and not let him say a word until the debates. 

They should really hold an emergency meeting and get one of the younger candidates to replace him.
    The DNC was gifted a hanging change-up and delivered with a can of corn.
    Do you think the DNC chooses the candidate? Did you sleep through the primaries?  People just like me overwhelmingly voted for Biden over the other individuals who made their own decision to run for president.  

No, but I do think there is plenty of influence and they got who they wanted. I understand that you are partial to Biden and that is fine, I just don’t know how much he moves the needle in an election that is being touted even more do-or-die than normal.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited August 2020
    Biden
    People overreact to these gaffes. My goodness, folks. Have you not paid attention to Biden for the last 40 years? He makes gaffes regularly. But he's running against a guy who says and utterly crazy shit on an hourly basis. That is why this stuff today, like the "you ain't black" thing from three months ago won't amount to a hill of beans either. 

Jeez. 
    i have not paid attention to biden the last 40 years. i didn't know who he was until he was VP. judging by the average american voter, most of them hadn't either. 

it won't amount to a hill of beans to people who are already voting for him. but you can't honestly tell me that fence sitters and trump supporters considering moving left aren't looking at this and going "hmm....maybe he really is losing his mind". 

just because it's not a big deal to you, doesn't mean it won't have an effect on the election. 
    No offense but aren't you from Canada? Joe Biden has been one of the most recognizable politicians in this country for decades. This is the third time he's ran for president! People are very familiar with him. And most people have already made up their minds about him and his favorability ratings are significantly higher than HRC's. 

Trump saying Biden hates God and the bible has already gotten more attention to Joe's gaffe yesterday. That's what I'm talking about. For every Biden gaffe, there's 10 Trump gaffes/blunders/purposefully hateful thing said that people pay more attention to. 

Biden is by far not the perfect candidate. I agree with others that the Biden from ten years ago would've been a lot better but...the one thing he does have going for him is that people do know him and that people generally like him, gaffes and all. 

All of this is part of the reason why he has held such a steady lead for so long, though the numbers are tightening a little. Looking forward to some more good polling leading up to the virtual conventions...

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    JW269453 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    static111 said:
    They really should just lock him down and not let him say a word until the debates. 

They should really hold an emergency meeting and get one of the younger candidates to replace him.
    The DNC was gifted a hanging change-up and delivered with a can of corn.
    Do you think the DNC chooses the candidate? Did you sleep through the primaries?  People just like me overwhelmingly voted for Biden over the other individuals who made their own decision to run for president.  

No, but I do think there is plenty of influence and they got who they wanted. I understand that you are partial to Biden and that is fine, I just don’t know how much he moves the needle in an election that is being touted even more do-or-die than normal.
    Can you give me some tangible methods they used to influence the voters?  And why would they want Biden over Warren, Harris, Booker, or any other of the senators not named Sanders?  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    How long until this becomes a reality and how vehemently will people justify it.  I mean they let Reagan serve out his term.
    Thanks for pushing Putin on the ritz. Got an answer? Here’s mine, 160,000 covid dead and counting, how worse can it get before, “it just goes away like things go away?”
    So Biden is going to impose a country wide economic shutdown and mitigate the spread when he steps in, or is he gonna magic it away? With how far out of control Covid is what do you see Biden doing that will mitigate the spread? Or even stop it all together? I get it Trump is literally the worst, that doesn’t blind me to the fact that Biden would be a terrible candidate against any normal Republican if any of those are even left at this point.
    What’s the provenance of the meme you posted? Did you come up with that yourself or are you pushing a false narrative that Sleepy Woke Joe is demented and unfit for the position? If you think Sleepy Woke Joe is worse than the word salad “it’ll go away like things go away,” and “everyone is saying that, it’s in the books, read the manuals,” that doesn’t have to be made into a pretend or alternative reality via meme or doctored twitter photo or news clip, then clearly we’re fucked, particularly if “our” side is going to propagate the myth. Thanks for helping.

I expect Sleepy Woke Joe to listen to the experts and scientists and Marshall a coordinated federal response of expanded and rapid testing, contact tracing and publicly repeatedly stating that people need to wear masks, stay home, social distance and if deaths continue unabated, talk about, propose, float the idea of a national 90 day lockdown, with a plan to mitigate the impact of such a drastic action. You know lead.

How many here want to be where we are today 6,9,12 months from now? Because that’s where we’re going to be if people don’t wake the fuck up and someone leads us out of this mess. 

I think sleepy woke Joe is a sleepwalking incoherent at times word salad.  I will still be voting for him because the only other choice is Trump and I'm not an idiot.  I will continue to criticize him and post memes if I think they are funny.  If you think a humorous meme about a pancake with a bone is more likely to get someone to abstain from voting or flipping to Trump, than some nonsense that Joe says and has to have his media team clarify I don't know what to tell you Comrade!  I personally think Joe is too deep in the pocket of Capitalism to propose an actual 90 day shutdown at this point but we will see what the future holds.
    How many months and deaths are you willing to settle for before you and the “kinda dems” decide Sleepy Woke Joe needs all the help he can get? Funny memes aside?

Its naive to think that social media doesn’t influence how people think and potentially vote.  People really need to start to not only pay attention to, but to understand, what Putin on the ritz and other nefarious actors are up to and the impact that it’s having. All without firing a shot or spilling their own blood. Feel free to contribute to it though, it’s Murica.
    He's actually doing fine with the real left folks...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited August 2020
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I don't know about out of nowhere. Pete and Amy did drop out just two days before Super Tuesday, seemingly to "get out of Biden's lane," while Warren stuck around to, seemingly, siphon votes from Bernie. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I don't know about out of nowhere. Pete and Amy did drop out just two days before Super Tuesday, seemingly to "get out of Biden's lane," while Warren stuck around to, seemingly, siphon votes from Bernie. 
    Even after Warren dropped, those votes went to Biden more than Bernie. And you can't argue that everyone was in shock with Biden's Tuesday performance.  Everyone had written him off for dead even after SC. 
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Even after Warren dropped, those votes went to Biden more than Bernie. And you can't argue that everyone was in shock with Biden's Tuesday performance.  Everyone had written him off for dead even after SC. 
    Yeah he looked pretty dead in the water after SC. But by Super Tuesday, it definitely seemed coordinated to make Biden the nominee, out of fear that Bernie wouldn’t have a chance against Trump. I wonder how things would’ve played out if the pandemic began a year ago. Maybe Bernie, Pete, Amy, or Warren might have been considered viable candidates to beat Trump because, due to Trump’s pandemic response, it looks like anybody can beat him now. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

He's actually doing fine with the real left folks...
    But is he really? And when he chooses Harris, will they stick with him or complain about a "law and order former prosecutor" so I'm voting Jill Stein because Bernie didn't get the nod? And its not the far lefties we need as much as its indies/undecideds (hard to believe they exist).
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden
    South Carolina as Democratic bellwether still blows my mind.

• Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    The whole primary system blows my mind. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    We could go back to how we did it in the early 20th century and prior.. just have it hashed out a convention by party leaders.  Or maybe we could do it like Canada and let congress choose the candidate.  Is there a more democratic system in place anywhere in the world today to choose candidates?  What are you suggesting?
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    We could go back to how we did it in the early 20th century and prior.. just have it hashed out a convention by party leaders.  Or maybe we could do it like Canada and let congress choose the candidate.  Is there a more democratic system in place anywhere in the world today to choose candidates?  What are you suggesting?
    What I'd really like is one nationwide election, but that would never happen. So instead I'd like something like five Super Tuesdays where ten states vote at a time (with WHEN those states vote rotating so it's not always the same states voting first). And I'd like the elections to not be so spread out (maybe have them bi-weekly). Basically so everyone gets a chance to vote. What is so special about Iowa and New Hampshire that they get first crack at this every year? Too often a candidate bombs in those states, and is gone. We'll never know how they'd do in the other states. 

My friend's father is a big Bush guy, and he contributed to Jeb's campaign in 2016 (like a BIG donation). But after Jeb bombed in Iowa and New Hampshire, he dropped out. And our state of Pennsylvania didn't vote until two months later. So he didn't even get a chance to vote for the guy he donated a few thousand dollars to. Maybe Jeb would've bombed in my proposed ten-states-at-a-time system too, but at least it would ten states dismissing him, not just two. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    What I'd really like is one nationwide election, but that would never happen. So instead I'd like something like five Super Tuesdays where ten states vote at a time (with WHEN those states vote rotating so it's not always the same states voting first). And I'd like the elections to not be so spread out (maybe have them bi-weekly). Basically so everyone gets a chance to vote. What is so special about Iowa and New Hampshire that they get first crack at this every year? Too often a candidate bombs in those states, and is gone. We'll never know how they'd do in the other states. 

My friend's father is a big Bush guy, and he contributed to Jeb's campaign in 2016 (like a BIG donation). But after Jeb bombed in Iowa and New Hampshire, he dropped out. And our state of Pennsylvania didn't vote until two months later. So he didn't even get a chance to vote for the guy he donated a few thousand dollars to. Maybe Jeb would've bombed in my proposed ten-states-at-a-time system too, but at least it would ten states dismissing him, not just two. 
    I see.  I won't argue against some adjustment of the schedule.  I thought you meant something more fundamental.  The primary process is quite democratic, certainly compared to the prime minister model.
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

I see.  I won't argue against some adjustment of the schedule.  I thought you meant something more fundamental.  The primary process is quite democratic, certainly compared to the prime minister model.
    No it's all schedule-related. I'm very much against the other models you've mentioned. 

I'm not a member of either of the parties, but if I was, I'd want my state (and all states) to have the same influence on the election that Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, etc. does. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I agree sleepy woke joe needs all the help he can get.  I’m voting for him that’s my contribution as much as I wish there was someone better there isn’t. The deaths brought about by a failure at all levels of government Democrat and Republican though a tragedy do not weigh on my conscience. I sympathize and empathize for all lost to the pandemic.
    Please don’t insult me by calling me a “kinda Dem” I’m nowhere near as conservative as that.  More or less socialist.  Pragmatic enough to realize that the only way to move further left without a complete governmental overthrow is to vote for the best worst choice in this election.  Until we get a candidate with popular support that is willing to tax the rich to build a more equitable society my view of voting will remain with some notable exceptions as the meme below states. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I agree sleepy woke joe needs all the help he can get.  I’m voting for him that’s my contribution as much as I wish there was someone better there isn’t. The deaths brought about by a failure at all levels of government Democrat and Republican though a tragedy do not weigh on my conscience. I sympathize and empathize for all lost to the pandemic.
    Please don’t insult me by calling me a “kinda Dem” I’m nowhere near as conservative as that.  More or less socialist.  Pragmatic enough to realize that the only way to move further left without a complete governmental overthrow is to vote for the best worst choice in this election.  Until we get a candidate with popular support that is willing to tax the rich to build a more equitable society my view of voting will remain with some notable exceptions as the meme below states. 
    Go you.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,139
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Ironically, it was the “base” of the Democratic Party , aka South Carolina African Americans, who catapulted Biden to the nomination. Before SC, the Biden campaign was on life support in 4th or 5th place.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    People overreact to these gaffes. My goodness, folks. Have you not paid attention to Biden for the last 40 years? He makes gaffes regularly. But he's running against a guy who says and utterly crazy shit on an hourly basis. That is why this stuff today, like the "you ain't black" thing from three months ago won't amount to a hill of beans either. 

Jeez. 
    i have not paid attention to biden the last 40 years. i didn't know who he was until he was VP. judging by the average american voter, most of them hadn't either. 

it won't amount to a hill of beans to people who are already voting for him. but you can't honestly tell me that fence sitters and trump supporters considering moving left aren't looking at this and going "hmm....maybe he really is losing his mind". 

just because it's not a big deal to you, doesn't mean it won't have an effect on the election. 
    Except his point was fundamentally accurate.  
    how so? you think trump supporters give two shits about how he said tailand? some people are going to honestly be asking themselves, justified or not, one question: would i rather have an idiot in office or someone who doesn't know where they are?
    So we know Trump is an idiot based on a thousand things he has said and done for 3 5 years, far more than not knowing how to pronounce Thailand.  Are you telling me that you don't think Biden knows where he is at a given moment? Is that a joke? A real belief on your part? 
    he made a "joke" the other day during a speech, saying "it's great to be back at (some centre)". the he realized that's not where he was, and he said "that was a joke". if that was a joke, he's about the least funniest person ever to run for office. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Biden
    Kat said:
    I think Joe is more progressive than he's given credit for...but my biggest hope for right now is that he sets us back on a good course. I want him to repair our damaged reputation in the world with our allies and staff the government with people who can give us the services we pay taxes for...and reverse some things that have been put in place since 2016. I want the children and others out of cages, so I hear that's getting more judges in place to hear the asylum cases, things like that. If he can do that, then we can progress with other things. Our government is set to move slowly, not lurch from this and that...and we sure have been lurching. I can't wait to vote. 
    Added: Also, I'm looking forward to a lot less politicization of EVERYTHING. 
    it was pretty recent he was against legalizing gay marriage and cannabis. 

however, anyone looks progressive next to today's republican party. but progressive? I don't buy it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Biden

Jeez. 

No offense but aren't you from Canada? Joe Biden has been one of the most recognizable politicians in this country for decades. This is the third time he's ran for president! People are very familiar with him. And most people have already made up their minds about him and his favorability ratings are significantly higher than HRC's. 

Trump saying Biden hates God and the bible has already gotten more attention to Joe's gaffe yesterday. That's what I'm talking about. For every Biden gaffe, there's 10 Trump gaffes/blunders/purposefully hateful thing said that people pay more attention to. 

Biden is by far not the perfect candidate. I agree with others that the Biden from ten years ago would've been a lot better but...the one thing he does have going for him is that people do know him and that people generally like him, gaffes and all. 

All of this is part of the reason why he has held such a steady lead for so long, though the numbers are tightening a little. Looking forward to some more good polling leading up to the virtual conventions...

yes, i am from canada, no offence taken. i just think you are overestimating the knowledge of the average american voter. i'm not referring to people like you and everyone else here who are engaged politically. i'm talking about the people who vote but only do so by the "knowledge" they get from attack ads on tv. 

i don't think many average people knew who the fuck most of the senators were prior to the extreme political polarization of the last decade and social media. 

of course, you could be right. maybe he was one of the most recognizable senators. maybe everybody does know him. i just don't think the american electorate is as aware as you think they are. it's not just america. ask any canadian (besides the people who post here) who the premier of any given province they don't live in that isn't named Ford, and you'll get 8/10 wrong answers, guaranteed. 

i know there are more trump gaffes than there are biden ones. that was never my point. my point is just because he outnumbers them, don't believe for one second it still won't have an effect on the election. it will. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden

Jeez. 

yes, i am from canada, no offence taken. i just think you are overestimating the knowledge of the average american voter. i'm not referring to people like you and everyone else here who are engaged politically. i'm talking about the people who vote but only do so by the "knowledge" they get from attack ads on tv. 

i don't think many average people knew who the fuck most of the senators were prior to the extreme political polarization of the last decade and social media. 

of course, you could be right. maybe he was one of the most recognizable senators. maybe everybody does know him. i just don't think the american electorate is as aware as you think they are. it's not just america. ask any canadian (besides the people who post here) who the premier of any given province they don't live in that isn't named Ford, and you'll get 8/10 wrong answers, guaranteed. 

i know there are more trump gaffes than there are biden ones. that was never my point. my point is just because he outnumbers them, don't believe for one second it still won't have an effect on the election. it will. 
    All my friends from Canada think we are crazy for having two right wing parties here....
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden