Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    People overreact to these gaffes. My goodness, folks. Have you not paid attention to Biden for the last 40 years? He makes gaffes regularly. But he's running against a guy who says and utterly crazy shit on an hourly basis. That is why this stuff today, like the "you ain't black" thing from three months ago won't amount to a hill of beans either. 

Jeez. 
    i have not paid attention to biden the last 40 years. i didn't know who he was until he was VP. judging by the average american voter, most of them hadn't either. 

it won't amount to a hill of beans to people who are already voting for him. but you can't honestly tell me that fence sitters and trump supporters considering moving left aren't looking at this and going "hmm....maybe he really is losing his mind". 

just because it's not a big deal to you, doesn't mean it won't have an effect on the election. 
    Except his point was fundamentally accurate.  
    What point are you talking about? That the African American community isn't diverse? 
    That the AA community can be considered more homogeneous than the Latino community.  The AA community has been in this country for centuries and has developed the culture we have today.  Music, film, literature, etc. are all heavily influenced by them.  The Latino communities are comprised of immigrants from countries that have their own unique cultures very different from one another.  Mexico is a different world than Cuba, as an example.  That's the point he was making.  Of course the AA community is not completely homogeneous, just like the White community isn't.  
    Okay, I don't disagree with a word of this. But obviously, it's easier for you to articulate this point on a message board than it is for Joe Biden to say it live on TV. When I'm critical of these sort of Biden quotes, it's not because I give a shit what he thinks or says. I'm not woke enough (or woke at all) to be like "How dare he disparage the African American community like that!" No, I'm looking at it from an electioneering standpoint: his gaffes give fuel to use against him, and his gaffes can be spun. If he wasn't running against the worst incumbent president ever, this sort of stuff might hurt him big time. 
    Bingo. Expecting the average undecided voter to understand the intricacies of that point is foolhardy. 
    Team Trump would do this kind of stuff to whoever the democratic nominee was. So I don't really understand the panic, this kind of dirty politics was expected and baked in.
    Of course he would. But you don’t think that some candidates are easier targets than others? 
    You don't think anything you say on racial issues couldn't be manipulated to make you look racist?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    static111 said:
    How long until this becomes a reality and how vehemently will people justify it.  I mean they let Reagan serve out his term.
    Thanks for pushing Putin on the ritz. Got an answer? Here’s mine, 160,000 covid dead and counting, how worse can it get before, “it just goes away like things go away?”
    So Biden is going to impose a country wide economic shutdown and mitigate the spread when he steps in, or is he gonna magic it away? With how far out of control Covid is what do you see Biden doing that will mitigate the spread? Or even stop it all together? I get it Trump is literally the worst, that doesn’t blind me to the fact that Biden would be a terrible candidate against any normal Republican if any of those are even left at this point.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    People overreact to these gaffes. My goodness, folks. Have you not paid attention to Biden for the last 40 years? He makes gaffes regularly. But he's running against a guy who says and utterly crazy shit on an hourly basis. That is why this stuff today, like the "you ain't black" thing from three months ago won't amount to a hill of beans either. 

Jeez. 
    i have not paid attention to biden the last 40 years. i didn't know who he was until he was VP. judging by the average american voter, most of them hadn't either. 

it won't amount to a hill of beans to people who are already voting for him. but you can't honestly tell me that fence sitters and trump supporters considering moving left aren't looking at this and going "hmm....maybe he really is losing his mind". 

just because it's not a big deal to you, doesn't mean it won't have an effect on the election. 
    What point are you talking about? That the African American community isn't diverse? 
    That the AA community can be considered more homogeneous than the Latino community.  The AA community has been in this country for centuries and has developed the culture we have today.  Music, film, literature, etc. are all heavily influenced by them.  The Latino communities are comprised of immigrants from countries that have their own unique cultures very different from one another.  Mexico is a different world than Cuba, as an example.  That's the point he was making.  Of course the AA community is not completely homogeneous, just like the White community isn't.  
    Okay, I don't disagree with a word of this. But obviously, it's easier for you to articulate this point on a message board than it is for Joe Biden to say it live on TV. When I'm critical of these sort of Biden quotes, it's not because I give a shit what he thinks or says. I'm not woke enough (or woke at all) to be like "How dare he disparage the African American community like that!" No, I'm looking at it from an electioneering standpoint: his gaffes give fuel to use against him, and his gaffes can be spun. If he wasn't running against the worst incumbent president ever, this sort of stuff might hurt him big time. 
    Bingo. Expecting the average undecided voter to understand the intricacies of that point is foolhardy. 
    Team Trump would do this kind of stuff to whoever the democratic nominee was. So I don't really understand the panic, this kind of dirty politics was expected and baked in.
    Of course he would. But you don’t think that some candidates are easier targets than others? 
    After the swift boating BS I honestly really don't think it matters who the target is.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Jeez. 

Same I’m still voting for the guy. It just surprises me that him speaking is his biggest weakness.  The lengths people go to to pretend that he isn’t a terrible candidate that would likely lose to any contender that wasn’t Trump is amazing.  I’m just waiting for him to announce a former Republican as a running mate and see how that gets justified.
    Yeah I actually think he's a worse candidate than Hillary was. History won't show that because Biden will still likely win, so he will have defeated Trump while Hillary lost to him. But if the roles were reversed, if this 2020 version of Joe Biden was going up against candidate Trump in 2016, I think Trump wins easily. If 2016 Hillary (or even current 2020 Hillary) was going up against incumbent 2020 Trump, I think she wins, and wins without making a fool of herself along the way. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Biden
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Jeez. 

After the swift boating BS I honestly really don't think it matters who the target is.
    Yeah no shit.  Good parallel.  
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Jeez. 

You don't think anything you say on racial issues couldn't be manipulated to make you look racist?
    Me personally? Probably. I’ve been known to say things too quickly and have to put my foot in my mouth. For that reason I don’t think I would be a great presidential candidate.

How about this though. A few posts back you explained what Biden’s point was, and you did a great job. Do you think it would have been as easy to attack him if he had used your words? 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    Biden
    trump says he has the best words, so for that alone i gotta vote for him.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Biden
    shit, kanye has better words than trump.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Jeez. 

Me personally? Probably. I’ve been known to say things too quickly and have to put my foot in my mouth. For that reason I don’t think I would be a great presidential candidate.

How about this though. A few posts back you explained what Biden’s point was, and you did a great job. Do you think it would have been as easy to attack him if he had used your words? 
    I don't know if it would or not, probably not.  But I have to say that I had to think about how to write it. Much, much easier than saying it in an interview.  I would argue it's impossible to speak in a way that could not be manipulated. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Biden
    Anyone claiming now or forever that they voted for Trump because of "gaffes" by the Democratic nominee is a liar. They voted for Trump because they wanted to and went shopping for a rationale.

Still...should have been Warren.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    I'm sitting this one out
    Well he is a motherfucking lyrical genius. And a Gay Fish. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    How long until this becomes a reality and how vehemently will people justify it.  I mean they let Reagan serve out his term.
    Thanks for pushing Putin on the ritz. Got an answer? Here’s mine, 160,000 covid dead and counting, how worse can it get before, “it just goes away like things go away?”
    So Biden is going to impose a country wide economic shutdown and mitigate the spread when he steps in, or is he gonna magic it away? With how far out of control Covid is what do you see Biden doing that will mitigate the spread? Or even stop it all together? I get it Trump is literally the worst, that doesn’t blind me to the fact that Biden would be a terrible candidate against any normal Republican if any of those are even left at this point.
    What’s the provenance of the meme you posted? Did you come up with that yourself or are you pushing a false narrative that Sleepy Woke Joe is demented and unfit for the position? If you think Sleepy Woke Joe is worse than the word salad “it’ll go away like things go away,” and “everyone is saying that, it’s in the books, read the manuals,” that doesn’t have to be made into a pretend or alternative reality via meme or doctored twitter photo or news clip, then clearly we’re fucked, particularly if “our” side is going to propagate the myth. Thanks for helping.

I expect Sleepy Woke Joe to listen to the experts and scientists and Marshall a coordinated federal response of expanded and rapid testing, contact tracing and publicly repeatedly stating that people need to wear masks, stay home, social distance and if deaths continue unabated, talk about, propose, float the idea of a national 90 day lockdown, with a plan to mitigate the impact of such a drastic action. You know lead.

How many here want to be where we are today 6,9,12 months from now? Because that’s where we’re going to be if people don’t wake the fuck up and someone leads us out of this mess. 

But boats with wheels and dogs and pancakes. Thoughts and prayers.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Jeez. 

I don't know if it would or not, probably not.  But I have to say that I had to think about how to write it. Much, much easier than saying it in an interview.  I would argue it's impossible to speak in a way that could not be manipulated. 
    Fair point about getting to think about it before writing it. So how about 2008 Obama? Does he word it in such an easily exploited way? Can you seriously not admit that this is an issue? Not to me, not to any of the other people on this forum, but to undecided voters that make up their minds by the ads that they see on YouTube. Of course anyone’s words can be twisted or taken out of context to make them look bad. But there certainly has to be a percentage of people that are better at not allowing it than others, and Biden is clearly not one of those people. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    edited August 2020
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

“Magic it away.” I would guess that’s satire but all anyone with doubt would only need to look at is every other wealthy country to figure this out.

on a country wide basis:

masks, six feet, rapid testing, tracing and isolating. Targeted restrictions on gatherings based on the above.

why is this still challenging after six months?
  • Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    Anyone claiming now or forever that they voted for Trump because of "gaffes" by the Democratic nominee is a liar. They voted for Trump because they wanted to and went shopping for a rationale.

I think it’s more about convincing people to get off their ass and vote. People that felt compelled to go vote for Obama but didn’t feel the same passion for Clinton. 
  • Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I think it’s more about convincing people to get off their ass and vote. People that felt compelled to go vote for Obama but didn’t feel the same passion for Clinton. 
    I think there’s even less passion for Biden than there was for Clinton. Biden just has the good fortune of going up against Trump during Trump’s dreadful Covid response. Take away Covid, and Trump’s still his shitty self, but with a good economy and no pandemic blood on his hands. Plus, Biden would have to be traveling around the country giving daily speeches in front of live audiences if not for Covid. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Biden
    nicknyr15 said:
    Well he is a motherfucking lyrical genius. And a Gay Fish. 
    yes!!

• Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I think there’s even less passion for Biden than there was for Clinton. Biden just has the good fortune of going up against Trump during Trump’s dreadful Covid response. Take away Covid, and Trump’s still his shitty self, but with a good economy and no pandemic blood on his hands. Plus, Biden would have to be traveling around the country giving daily speeches in front of live audiences if not for Covid. 
    Your points are definitely true but I think Clinton is a really high fucking bar. I am from West/Central PA aka “Pennsyltucky” and I cannot tell you how many people I know that voted Democrat their entire life but couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Hillary. Most just stayed home, but a few, including my Dad, voted Trump. 

She was such a terrible candidate that I actually think her candidacy may have turned countless lifelong Democrats into lifelong Republicans or lifetime “why vote when your just picking the better of two evils” people. After trying to unsuccessfully force her on us in 2008 and again in 2016 I think that she is now synonymous with the Democrat Party and has thus impacted the chances of every future Democrat candidate, most of all Biden.
  • Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Disagree. Clinton was loathed by half the country and that was known long before she became the nominee. Plus, she had gone through an ugly primary fight with Obama in 2008 and many Democrats remembered that. Biden really has never been disliked the same way.

• Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Disagree. Clinton was loathed by half the country and that was known long before she became the nominee. Plus, she had gone through an ugly primary fight with Obama in 2008 and many Democrats remembered that. Biden really has never been disliked the same way.
    Agree. For reasons right or wrong, people fucking hate her. Biden is bad though, just not as extreme. 
  • Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RiotZact said:
    dignin said:
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Jeez. 

Fair point about getting to think about it before writing it. So how about 2008 Obama? Does he word it in such an easily exploited way? Can you seriously not admit that this is an issue? Not to me, not to any of the other people on this forum, but to undecided voters that make up their minds by the ads that they see on YouTube. Of course anyone’s words can be twisted or taken out of context to make them look bad. But there certainly has to be a percentage of people that are better at not allowing it than others, and Biden is clearly not one of those people. 
    1. Obama was an extraordinarily talented speaker and politician.  He is once in a generation/lifetime type person.  That has to stop being the bar.  He's also inoculated against racial issues in a way not afforded to Biden or any other White one. So I don't think it's a good comparison.  To be fair, I think we all know that Biden has "binders full of women" at the ready.

2.  A person who is making a judgment to vote for Trump or Biden, based on racial issues, is not going to flip to Trump based on this.  I suppose it could serve to suppress. 
  • Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

Your points are definitely true but I think Clinton is a really high fucking bar. I am from West/Central PA aka “Pennsyltucky” and I cannot tell you how many people I know that voted Democrat their entire life but couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Hillary. Most just stayed home, but a few, including my Dad, voted Trump. 

She was such a terrible candidate that I actually think her candidacy may have turned countless lifelong Democrats into lifelong Republicans or lifetime “why vote when your just picking the better of two evils” people. After trying to unsuccessfully force her on us in 2008 and again in 2016 I think that she is now synonymous with the Democrat Party and has thus impacted the chances of every future Democrat candidate, most of all Biden.
    Yeah I agree on the notion of her being "forced" on us. What a botch. It should've been Biden THEN actually. I've heard two reasons as to why he didn't run in 2016. The first being that his son had just passed, and the second being that Obama told the DNC that Hillary would be the better candidate. Not sure what's true, but Biden, like Bush Sr. and (almost) Gore, could've rode high on the previous president that he served under's popularity. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I don't think Biden is bad at all.  I think he is a fundamentally good human being.  Is he less articulate than Obama?  Sure.  But if you know what he means and you think his heart is in the right place (which I do), then why cast stones?  
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I don't think Biden is bad at all.  I think he is a fundamentally good human being.  Is he less articulate than Obama?  Sure.  But if you know what he means and you think his heart is in the right place (which I do), then why cast stones?  

I love Biden. I just think he is old, straight, white and male, and it is 2020 in America. It surprises me that this is the direction the Democratic party chose to go in. Even before BLM exploded, I would have thought the mood of the party was for a more diverse candidate. Plus, I really thought the winner in 2016 would be the last Boomer to serve as President.

• Options
    Biden
    i do believe that biden will surround himself with better and younger, more energetic people that will pull him in a more progressive direction. he is old school, and old school politics is you work across the aisle on some things in order to get the big things you really want.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    What’s the provenance of the meme you posted? Did you come up with that yourself or are you pushing a false narrative that Sleepy Woke Joe is demented and unfit for the position? If you think Sleepy Woke Joe is worse than the word salad “it’ll go away like things go away,” and “everyone is saying that, it’s in the books, read the manuals,” that doesn’t have to be made into a pretend or alternative reality via meme or doctored twitter photo or news clip, then clearly we’re fucked, particularly if “our” side is going to propagate the myth. Thanks for helping.

I expect Sleepy Woke Joe to listen to the experts and scientists and Marshall a coordinated federal response of expanded and rapid testing, contact tracing and publicly repeatedly stating that people need to wear masks, stay home, social distance and if deaths continue unabated, talk about, propose, float the idea of a national 90 day lockdown, with a plan to mitigate the impact of such a drastic action. You know lead.

How many here want to be where we are today 6,9,12 months from now? Because that’s where we’re going to be if people don’t wake the fuck up and someone leads us out of this mess. 

But boats with wheels and dogs and pancakes. Thoughts and prayers.
    I think sleepy woke Joe is a sleepwalking incoherent at times word salad.  I will still be voting for him because the only other choice is Trump and I'm not an idiot.  I will continue to criticize him and post memes if I think they are funny.  If you think a humorous meme about a pancake with a bone is more likely to get someone to abstain from voting or flipping to Trump, than some nonsense that Joe says and has to have his media team clarify I don't know what to tell you Comrade!  I personally think Joe is too deep in the pocket of Capitalism to propose an actual 90 day shutdown at this point but we will see what the future holds.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I love Biden. I just think he is old, straight, white and male, and it is 2020 in America. It surprises me that this is the direction the Democratic party chose to go in. Even before BLM exploded, I would have thought the mood of the party was for a more diverse candidate. Plus, I really thought the winner in 2016 would be the last Boomer to serve as President.
    I think the voters took a pragmatic approach to this election, and I'm frankly impressed by it.  Biden made the case that he can get us back to 'normal', not over steer, and remove the cancer from the office.  That was his argument and people were clearly onboard with it.  
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited August 2020
    Biden
    I think Joe is more progressive than he's given credit for...but my biggest hope for right now is that he sets us back on a good course. I want him to repair our damaged reputation in the world with our allies and staff the government with people who can give us the services we pay taxes for...and reverse some things that have been put in place since 2016. I want the children and others out of cages, so I hear that's getting more judges in place to hear the asylum cases, things like that. If he can do that, then we can progress with other things. Our government is set to move slowly, not lurch from this and that...and we sure have been lurching. I can't wait to vote. 
    Added: Also, I'm looking forward to a lot less politicization of EVERYTHING. 
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I think the voters took a pragmatic approach to this election, and I'm frankly impressed by it.  Biden made the case that he can get us back to 'normal', not over steer, and remove the cancer from the office.  That was his argument and people were clearly onboard with it.  
    I think you give the average voter way too much credit. 
  • Options
    Biden
    RiotZact said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    RiotZact said:
    JimmyV said:

I think you give the average voter way too much credit. 
    Then the other option is that the country the media and Twitter tells us about doesn't really exist.  It's actually centrist and moderate.  If that's the case, then don't expect a progressive firebrand to be the next D nominee any time soon.