Options

How do you think Coronavirus will change the world?

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    edited April 2020
    Smellyman said:
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:
    Nothing, like 9/11 we might have to take off shoes in the US through security.

Elbow bumps instead of high fives.

People well go back to consuming self absorbed phone gawking assholes.
    That wasn’t even from 9/11. That was from the show bomber almost a year later. When we think about how angry we were, how much we said “never again,” 9/11 really has had little impact on our daily lives. Not much I do every day is different. 

9/11 changes(ed) everything.

fast forward.

nope
    Exactly. I think this will be the same. I’ve heard people say no more concerts, movie theaters, sporting events, etc. that will all be the same. Maybe less handshakes and people will wash their hands more, but not much more than that in a year or 2

Probably a lot more hand sanitizing stations in the public too, I could see that.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    I think in general people will basically not change much if at all.  I would like to thing so, but...  we'll see.

A few things I have been wondering about in terms of how will things change:

1) Will we learn from this and be better prepared for the next pandemic?
    2)  What will economics look like on the local, national, and international level after the dust settles? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    One  thing I think will change is school closures. After 2+ months of distance learning under our belts by the end of this year, I think more school will move to distance learning instead of snow days. Some school around here already have. I know we didn’t take a few snow days because we were worried about having to make up minutes. This might push more schools and districts to using this model more regularly. Maybe even not just snow days, but possibly when X number of students come down with the flu in the future they can do it for a week. Or many other random events, school threats, plumbing problems, etc.
    I think changes will be more subtle like this.  Honestly, many schools could have been better prepared with the tools they already put in place (many aren’t so fortunate, so hopefully that will change).  At my kids school they all get chrome books to borrow, yet 3/4 of the teachers still make them carry books and rarely even post homework assignments.  It was ridiculous they had to take a week to teach the teachers how to use and leverage the tools our tax dollars have been paying for years. 

maybe now, we will see our kids not carry 50 lbs of books bc our teachers will finally catch up with the times in districts that have enabled them. Then we can have hope and fund districts that don’t.   
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,119
    mace1229 said:
    One  thing I think will change is school closures. After 2+ months of distance learning under our belts by the end of this year, I think more school will move to distance learning instead of snow days. Some school around here already have. I know we didn’t take a few snow days because we were worried about having to make up minutes. This might push more schools and districts to using this model more regularly. Maybe even not just snow days, but possibly when X number of students come down with the flu in the future they can do it for a week. Or many other random events, school threats, plumbing problems, etc.
    I think changes will be more subtle like this.  Honestly, many schools could have been better prepared with the tools they already put in place (many aren’t so fortunate, so hopefully that will change).  At my kids school they all get chrome books to borrow, yet 3/4 of the teachers still make them carry books and rarely even post homework assignments.  It was ridiculous they had to take a week to teach the teachers how to use and leverage the tools our tax dollars have been paying for years. 

maybe now, we will see our kids not carry 50 lbs of books bc our teachers will finally catch up with the times in districts that have enabled them. Then we can have hope and fund districts that don’t.   
    I gotta say, with my wife extended work away from home, me having to work at home and also still go in ("essential"), my kid having to do school at home, preparing even more meals....heck I actually prefer when everyone is going into work because now everyone's priority is supposed to become your instant priority.

I'm overly grumpy about all the facebook posts, tweets, news stories about what to do at home with your kids during the pandemic. ;) 

I think you are right about the small changes to school.  I also think you will see more people using the technology that already existed (order ahead groceries, self-checkout, doordash, even more meetings virtually, etc).  In the short term I think Family night returns...cooking together, movie night, game night, whatever.  I think that settles back into it's norm later though.  I think travel/tourism will be hit pretty hard, once there is a vaccine those with the means to travel will have some significant opportunities. I do wonder if this will have any effect long-term on the # of chairs a restaurant can have....and what that means to $  and survival.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    My wife & I were talking about this last night and here are a few business-related thoughts on what may change:

-The way we work may change. Some companies may see that there isn't a significant drop in employee productivity while their employees have been working from home. What does this mean? Maybe only working from the office in the AM, or working at the office 1-2 days/week. For example, the company I work for was very hesitant to allow us to work from home. Now they're already discussing working procedures once is this over because they've seen that all of the bases are still covered and time management has improved. (Not nearly as many meetings, etc)
    -Retail will change. I imagine that some retailers (large and small) simply won't survive this unless they change their ways. By changing their ways, I mean fewer stores to reduce their footprint and offering DTC selling by using drop ship services. This was already starting to happen before the virus hit. I see grocery stores removing some aisles to make them wider and palletizing a lot of their products to reduce the need for constant stocking. I also think that automation will increase, which would lead to fewer jobs. I also think that you will see an increase in personal shopping & delivery services.
    -Manufacturing will change. Countries will look to manufacture items within their borders more and more, which will lead to more jobs and pick up some of the slack that automation within the retail sector has taken away.

There's more that we talked about, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:

To stick up for teachers I know many prefer hard copies for several reasons. There’s always tech trouble with online stuff. I’ve never once had a parent email me and say the book won’t open to page 106. Kids misuse tech all the time, so it’s way easier management for hard copies as well. And with my school we all experienced far better turnout for work and homework if we handed out a hard copy in class rather than posting something online.

And the week we gave teachers was because it is a lot to transition from a small portion of your class online to 100% online. We not only have to figure out how to use the tech, which many of us did, but relay that info to students and parents. How is grading set up, how can they get help, etc
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    brianlux said:
    How will it change the world? Well two months ago I felt there was no way Trump loses in November. Now with the pandemic, I think he’s toast. 
    I surely hope that he looses but some polls say his approval rating has gone up and that does not build my confidence.
    Jesus. That’s surprising. I haven’t been paying much attention to approval ratings or even to Biden/Bernie (cause it’s over, Bernie) but man, you would think this would be hurting him. Even if Trump wasn’t to blame for the response to the virus (he is, but for a moment pretend he’s not), if the president gets credit for stuff like a good economy, why doesn’t he get blame for a national medical emergency? Like if you’re out of work right now due to the virus, why not blame Trump? At least you can hold him accountable by voting. You can’t vote against a Chinese wet-market in an American election. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    brianlux said:
    How will it change the world? Well two months ago I felt there was no way Trump loses in November. Now with the pandemic, I think he’s toast. 
    I surely hope that he looses but some polls say his approval rating has gone up and that does not build my confidence.
    Jesus. That’s surprising. I haven’t been paying much attention to approval ratings or even to Biden/Bernie (cause it’s over, Bernie) but man, you would think this would be hurting him. Even if Trump wasn’t to blame for the response to the virus (he is, but for a moment pretend he’s not), if the president gets credit for stuff like a good economy, why doesn’t he get blame for a national medical emergency? Like if you’re out of work right now due to the virus, why not blame Trump? At least you can hold him accountable by voting. You can’t vote against a Chinese wet-market in an American election. 

I hear you!  It is very surprising that Trumps approval rating hasn't gone into the ditch.  I guess his supporters would follow him into hell if that's where he said they should go.  Ship of fools.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited April 2020
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

To stick up for teachers I know many prefer hard copies for several reasons. There’s always tech trouble with online stuff. I’ve never once had a parent email me and say the book won’t open to page 106. Kids misuse tech all the time, so it’s way easier management for hard copies as well. And with my school we all experienced far better turnout for work and homework if we handed out a hard copy in class rather than posting something online.

And the week we gave teachers was because it is a lot to transition from a small portion of your class online to 100% online. We not only have to figure out how to use the tech, which many of us did, but relay that info to students and parents. How is grading set up, how can they get help, etc
     no disrespect, but you're kinda starting to sound like the guy that said those new fangled motor vehicles will never replace the rock solid dependable wagons & horses.. 

Here's an idea... If the kids aren't using the tech correctly, then maybe they aren't being taught properly? How can we compete globally if there's an excuse for something like this? Basically you're saying "Kids and their parents are too stupid to do it online" 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

no disrespect, but you're kinda starting to sound like the guy that said those new fangled motor vehicles will never replace the rock solid dependable wagons & horses.. 

Here's an idea... If the kids aren't using the tech correctly, then maybe they aren't being taught properly? How can we compete globally if there's an excuse for something like this? Basically you're saying "Kids and their parents are too stupid to do it online" 
    All kids don't learn the same and the sooner the school board and government realizes that it would be better.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

All kids don't learn the same and the sooner the school board and government realizes that it would be better.
    True.... which brings up a good point. The K-12 education system in the US is a product of the 19th and early 20th century.  It too came from events caused by class struggle which was magnified by the events of depression of the 1930's..... Time to rethink how we do it... ??

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    I myself have learned that working from home isn't so bad...I would not want to only do it this way, but I probably would a couple of times a month and would do so with colds, etc.  I think people will be less likely to work in person if their job allows otherwise (and there'll be more social pressure).

Most of our post 9/11 changes have been symbolic.  Take sporting events; We've replaced Take Me Out to the Ballgame with God Bless America (at least on Sundays).  We've put in extra efforts to show support for the military.  Will any of this rub off on some of the people who are sticking their necks out now?  First responders?  Maybe.  Nurses? Maybe. Doctors? Maybe.  All the other people going to work so we can buy food, gas, etc.? Probably not.  But this is going to last longer than the aftermath of 9/11 and touch more people.  It'll be interesting to see whether all of our love is mandated to go towards the military as it is now.

Random thoughts...
    • US individualism.  We're being asked to look out for each other.  Will the individualistic culture still dominate to the degree it does today?  I don't think so.
    • Environmentalism.  Will we appreciate the (relatively) cleaner air and water examples we're seeing? I don't think so.
    • Transportation. Is this the end of public transportation?  Maybe.
    • Handshaking: I'd LOVE handshaking to go away.  It's always been recognized as a germ-spreader...yet I continued to do it just not be be "rude."  I think that may happen.
    • Sports.  I'm surprised how little I am missing sports right now (particularly given that it's supposed to be the NCAA basketball tournament).  Does this hurt sports TV viewership (and, therefore, sports in general?)

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I myself have learned that working from home isn't so bad...I would not want to only do it this way, but I probably would a couple of times a month and would do so with colds, etc.  I think people will be less likely to work in person if their job allows otherwise (and there'll be more social pressure).

Most of our post 9/11 changes have been symbolic.  Take sporting events; We've replaced Take Me Out to the Ballgame with God Bless America (at least on Sundays).  We've put in extra efforts to show support for the military.  Will any of this rub off on some of the people who are sticking their necks out now?  First responders?  Maybe.  Nurses? Maybe. Doctors? Maybe.  All the other people going to work so we can buy food, gas, etc.? Probably not.  But this is going to last longer than the aftermath of 9/11 and touch more people.  It'll be interesting to see whether all of our love is mandated to go towards the military as it is now.

Random thoughts...
    • US individualism.  We're being asked to look out for each other.  Will the individualistic culture still dominate to the degree it does today?  I don't think so.
    • Environmentalism.  Will we appreciate the (relatively) cleaner air and water examples we're seeing? I don't think so.
    • Handshaking: I'd LOVE handshaking to go away.  It's always been recognized as a germ-spreader...yet I continued to do it just not be be "rude."  I think that may happen.
    • Sports.  I'm surprised how little I am missing sports right now (particularly given that it's supposed to be the NCAA basketball tournament).  Does this hurt sports TV viewership (and, therefore, sports in general?)

I agree 99% ;) - but not on 9/11 changing being symbolic..  Think of how ours lives have changed in just "security"... airports, events ..etc.. or the money spent by our nation since 9/11.. Iraq and Afghan wars.. Homeland Security created... TRILLIONS$$$$$ spent...  It also created a  new hate crimes and more racism towards those of middle eastern decent. 

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I looooove working from home.  

I have put forth some pretty good output the past 3 weeks too.  Maybe not 8-5....  but I have worked all hours and even some time on weekends.  
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Random thoughts...

I agree 99% ;) - but not on 9/11 changing being symbolic..  Think of how ours lives have changed in just "security"... airports, events ..etc.. or the money spent by our nation since 9/11.. Iraq and Afghan wars.. Homeland Security created... TRILLIONS$$$$$ spent...  It also created a  new hate crimes and more racism towards those of middle eastern decent. 

True.  Obviously the airport thing is a big one.  I was thinking a bit more "micro" than the military action, etc...though admittedly, it's easy for me to forget about the hate crimes that haven't happened to me.  (I was also focused on the parellel between how we responded to 9/11 with patriotism/jingoism and the miltary...and whether that will translate to the people that are risking their health/lives now.  But that's not how I wrote it, so point taken).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    I looooove working from home.  

I have put forth some pretty good output the past 3 weeks too.  Maybe not 8-5....  but I have worked all hours and even some time on weekends.  

I was averse to it...but I'm coming around.  That said, I'm keeping it to a "work day" and trying not to touch it on evenings and weekends...to echo what some said earlier in this thread, I would not want to see a shifting expectation toward always being on call and losing even more of our work/life balance.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    OnWis97 said:
    myoung321 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Random thoughts...

True.  Obviously the airport thing is a big one.  I was thinking a bit more "micro" than the military action, etc...though admittedly, it's easy for me to forget about the hate crimes that haven't happened to me.  (I was also focused on the parellel between how we responded to 9/11 with patriotism/jingoism and the miltary...and whether that will translate to the people that are risking their health/lives now.  But that's not how I wrote it, so point taken).
    Gotcha.. no way intended to discount your original comments. I understand completely. I"d for one love to see a Patriotism shift to those that work in healthcare to other jobs that keep us going. Maybe it will help us progress as a society. Care about others... Care if our neighbors have healthcare.. Care if the person stocking our supermarket shelves have healthcare... Just give a shit about your fellow citizens.. What a concept!!!!!

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Horses and wagons are going to make a comeback, just wait and see!

I didn’t say they are too stupid and didn’t mean to imply that. But think of it this way, there’s 15 minutes left in class. I can pass our a hard copy of homework and let kids have 15 minutes to work on it. Or I can tell students to take out their computers, wait for them to turn on (which many of our school computers can take 3+ minutes just for that) give them time to go to whatever platform we use. Navigate to the correct assignment, and now there’s only 5 minutes to actually work on it.
    And I’ve never been at a school where computers and internet are actually reliable. 
    That’s just in class. With 150 students I have never given an online assignment without at least a few notes from parents explaining why they don’t have Internet right now.
    But probably the biggest for me was as a chemistry teacher I haven’t found a good way for students to complete class/homework and show their work if it includes math or drawings. Which is probably 80% of the work we do. Draw a model of a water molecule, solve this gas law problem and show all your work, etc. it’s just so much easier on paper.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Victory gardens are making a comeback!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    MayDay10 said:
    In order to see a major shift in people's general attitudes and economic trends, we are going to have to experience severe, unprecedented, and biblical tragedy.  While a utopia where things are equalized, world peace is realized, and iphones are melted down to make vaccines sounds great.  We would probably have to watch society completely crumble.  All the firearms and ammo out there in the US, and having kids aged 4 and 7, I am good with letting people enjoy their electronics awhile longer.  

Like I said, I think I would take a further emphasis on science and knowledge.  Especially in the US where people seem to think that clutching a flag, chanting USA! and paying unlimited money into a bloated military makes us invincible to anything.... and leadership is all based on 'teams', and we cant be harmed, even if we elect a reality show con man as president just to 'win'.   Maybe, just maybe, this can mend the great divide we have in this country ( and has bled throughout the world in places like UK, Brazil, etc).  

This.

I think if anyone believes we will see huge systemic changes in our class system or how we treat one another  , it is just not going to happen unless something biblical happens and I don't want to watch most people I know die. Its sad but I think the system will crank on and keep going the way it is , I think you will see small changes like not shaking hands for a while ( although I feel there are people out there right now who think " you cant tell me I cant shake hands " )

One would hope that a the lack of leadership showing right now in our country will change things but I still cannot count on Trump being out of office , don't get me wrong I want a society were we all get along , stop wars , come together but unless you see something like 25% of the world die and I don't want to see that , I don't see that large change.

Trump is still saying how shitty Obama was for H1N1 but says he is a hero if only 150K die from this.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    About ten years ago when I was going through cancer treatment, I said to myself all the time, "This has changed me. From now on I will be more this and more that and do less of this or that. I will never see the world the same again."  It didn't take long after I went into remission that most of my bad habits returned -- even smoking! -- and I realized I am pretty much who I am, cancer or not.
    Someone said it earlier. There will have to be massive loss of life before any dramatic changes occur in the way society works. There may be incremental changes in how we operate. I've never been one to believe in the "we study history in order not to repeat it." We repeat history all the time (genocide, anyone?). This will not be the last time the world is unprepared for a crisis.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

The equipment we use in schools in mostly crap. Our servers are slow, we have one tech specialist for over 1500 users, when one student's machine breaks, it might be weeks before he gets it back. The kids know every trick in the book to get around firewalls to play Minecraft or download porn, many of them think it's hilarious to take it apart piece by piece, I've seen kids throw their laptops across the room at each other . . . all this in spite of signing an agreement, told they will be charged a fee, being taught protocols, modeling best practices, active monitoring in the room, etc. 
    These are not excuses, but let me ask -- do you have children? Do they have toys? Do they ever throw their toys? Break them? Use them for a purpose they are not supposed to be used for? This is what kids do. So, we can teach them as "properly" as you deem "proper," but they are kids. Not everybody is as wonderful a parent as you are, I guess. You really should go into teaching. You've got it all under control.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

True.... which brings up a good point. The K-12 education system in the US is a product of the 19th and early 20th century.  It too came from events caused by class struggle which was magnified by the events of depression of the 1930's..... Time to rethink how we do it... ??
    I'm pretty sure we all realize that not all kids learn the same. Many people in the system are open to change. As with every other massive institution that touches 100 million or so people, it's very difficult to get people to agree on how to do that.

When I was put on teach-from-home duty on March 6, I was super excited to experiment with digital learning. I sent an email to my team on Monday morning to get the ball rolling, only to have my admin immediately put on the breaks while the chiefs could make their decisions. There is much concern in education about this thing called "equity" and this pandemic put that front and center. In my high poverty district, the first priority was making sure students got fed with the current distancing practices in place. Then they had to make sure everyone had access to a computer and Internet connection at home -- and at my school alone, over 400 (out of 1200) students did not. So here we are a month later, and this is finally the week that students who need a computer will go to school and pick one up to borrow. Then there is the stark reality that not every parent is equally capable of supporting their student, for whatever reason, not for me to judge.

So these are just the issues now. But if we are to change how we do education, we as a nation would have to make sure it's done equitably because that is the Constitutional mandate of public education. How do you design a system where everyone gets what they need when resources are scarce and the public doesn't seem too thrilled about spending any more on public education, because apparently throwing money at the problem isn't what's needed (according to many critics of the way things are).

These are just questions I have. I'm open to change. I just think this is way more complicated than removing salad bars at restaurants and there will be lots of power struggles in deciding how change occurs.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I hear you!  It is very surprising that Trumps approval rating hasn't gone into the ditch.  I guess his supporters would follow him into hell if that's where he said they should go.  Ship of fools.

He does have his 40% no matter what. There is an interesting poll from Florida which is his top swing state:

Among those surveyed from March 31 through April 4, 53 percent do not approve of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, compared to 45 percent who do. A key problem for Trump is that a majority of Floridians, 58 percent, don’t trust him to provide reliable information about the pandemic.”

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/04/06/new-poll-show-coronavirus-taking-toll-on-president-trump-in-battleground-state-1272327
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

The equipment we use in schools in mostly crap. Our servers are slow, we have one tech specialist for over 1500 users, when one student's machine breaks, it might be weeks before he gets it back. The kids know every trick in the book to get around firewalls to play Minecraft or download porn, many of them think it's hilarious to take it apart piece by piece, I've seen kids throw their laptops across the room at each other . . . all this in spite of signing an agreement, told they will be charged a fee, being taught protocols, modeling best practices, active monitoring in the room, etc. 
    These are not excuses, but let me ask -- do you have children? Do they have toys? Do they ever throw their toys? Break them? Use them for a purpose they are not supposed to be used for? This is what kids do. So, we can teach them as "properly" as you deem "proper," but they are kids. Not everybody is as wonderful a parent as you are, I guess. You really should go into teaching. You've got it all under control.
    Agree! Even though I think you were defending my post so it’s redundant. How kids treat computers when they aren’t theirs is a joke. Especially since it’s discrimination to hold kids financially responsible. But Ive seen kids tear up text books even though there was an “agreement” to pay for damages. They treat computers the same, because in the end the school really can’t charge them. I mean, they can ask, but if they don’t pay there’s really nothing the school can do. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,321
    It def has changed most of normal activities..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    When everything is uncertain, everything that is important becomes clear....
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    About ten years ago when I was going through cancer treatment, I said to myself all the time, "This has changed me. From now on I will be more this and more that and do less of this or that. I will never see the world the same again."  It didn't take long after I went into remission that most of my bad habits returned -- even smoking! -- and I realized I am pretty much who I am, cancer or not.
    Someone said it earlier. There will have to be massive loss of life before any dramatic changes occur in the way society works. There may be incremental changes in how we operate. I've never been one to believe in the "we study history in order not to repeat it." We repeat history all the time (genocide, anyone?). This will not be the last time the world is unprepared for a crisis.

Reading this made me think of a somewhat similar experience ( not cancer ) , around 2004 I had to have major surgery on my left kidney and during the surgery my kidney burst , I was in ICU for two days and have little to no memory of it , I was then in the hospital for 10 days recovery ( was only supposed to be there 3 day total ) and another few weeks recovering at home.

When I first woke up and was speaking to my family after getting out of ICU , I thought my god why did I say I would catch up with this person another time or not go out with friends because I wanted to get a few extra hours of sleep , that I was working at a job that I hated ( management at Bank Of America ). I said I would never go back , I did leave that job and have worked at a non-profit for years but you just kind of get back into the habits you have.

Talking to my mom every night on Facetime I still get angry with myself that right before this happened she asked if I wanted to stop by for dinner and I was just tired from work and said " another time"

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:

Reading this made me think of a somewhat similar experience ( not cancer ) , around 2004 I had to have major surgery on my left kidney and during the surgery my kidney burst , I was in ICU for two days and have little to no memory of it , I was then in the hospital for 10 days recovery ( was only supposed to be there 3 day total ) and another few weeks recovering at home.

When I first woke up and was speaking to my family after getting out of ICU , I thought my god why did I say I would catch up with this person another time or not go out with friends because I wanted to get a few extra hours of sleep , that I was working at a job that I hated ( management at Bank Of America ). I said I would never go back , I did leave that job and have worked at a non-profit for years but you just kind of get back into the habits you have.

Talking to my mom every night on Facetime I still get angry with myself that right before this happened she asked if I wanted to stop by for dinner and I was just tired from work and said " another time"

I agree with the main points that it's going to be easy for people, and larger society to fall back into old habits.  Look at the cleaner air...I really don't think people are going to maintain their reduced driving behaviors once things are "normal."  There will be some small changes...maybe some employers (for employees who have work-at-home as an option) will be forceful in discouraging people from coming to the office when sick...things like that.  But things that don't relate directly to what's going on (like travel behaviors, cherishing time with family, less time in the rat-race, etc.) are likely to revert back.

All that said, specific to your situation, people have to look out for themselves...If I allowed her to, my mom would suck the life right out of me.  That dinner you missed?  Sometimes people have to do that.  Eddie gets it (see "Alright") :)