Options

How do you think Coronavirus will change the world?

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Virtual Sports Leagues and Concerts will grow in popularity!!!!

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    myoung321 said:

This will flop once the real thing is back.

Well at least I hope it does.  I prefer the real thing...

I'm not an Impossible Whopper type of guy.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:

I prefer the real thing too... but that wasn't the Q... ;)

BTW-  the Impossible Whopper is freaking good!  

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:

I prefer the real thing too... but that wasn't the Q... ;)

BTW-  the Impossible Whopper is freaking good!  
    Your taste buds off?  I immediately noticed a difference.

It has that not real meat flavor that I do not like...
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Smellyman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I hope we don't go back to this rat race mentality and stop focusing on bullshit that is not important.
    Bingo.

I hope we realize that we have enough resources for everyone on this planet so they can meet their basic needs and thrive. I hope that greed dies a quick death, never to return.
    I hope people stop queuing overnight for new electronic goods like it is some food item they are in desperate need of to avoid starvation.
    People worship material shit more than they do nature, each other.
    The state of the world has bummed me out for very long now. I hope there are better days ahead.

How do you milk a sheep? 

Release a new Apple product

I use samsung phone and ipad (mostly for apple music)

Apple is a gawd awful terrible product. My Note 9 is a million times better than any apple device I held in my two hands.
  • Options
    Our economy can no longer think of china as our cheap manufacturer. The cost of this crisis must be included in the cost of anything produced in that country. We need to trade only with countries that have strict food regulations 

And biden better be talking about this.
    The governor of Ohio stated that the US can no longer out source our medical supplies and PPE. Hopefully, the retooling of US manufacturing companies will start a trend.

Agreed,  Biden needs to talk about this!
    Trump has been saying this for a while.  He wants my support though?  Make our medicine here, more textiles here.

Let's up the pay for things and everyone can live a good life.  Better quality of life.

I'd like to see that change.
    You Sir are Correct!!!  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,727
    How will it change the world? Well two months ago I felt there was no way Trump loses in November. Now with the pandemic, I think he’s toast. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    How will it change the world? Well two months ago I felt there was no way Trump loses in November. Now with the pandemic, I think he’s toast. 
    Thought the same thing but I’m not sure this brings him down, it wouldn’t surprise me that even if 100k perish from C19 he gets re-elected..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    myoung321 said:
    Salad Bars will be outlawed.....   

Sealed Decontaminated and Certified Food dispensers kinda like Arcade Claw games will allow you to choose different items to be placed into containers.  

Going off OP Question... 

My guess is very little will change. In a year most people will forget.  Right now people are fired up, but it will pass.
    Restaurants who built their entire business around the buffet won’t be willing to let that go. Grocery stores won’t want to invest in what it takes to remodel all their stores. Maybe those things will eventually happen and salad bars/buffets will slowly die and grocery stores will slowly become automated as new stores are being built. But it will be a slow process 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Sealed Decontaminated and Certified Food dispensers kinda like Arcade Claw games will allow you to choose different items to be placed into containers.  

Going off OP Question... 

My guess is very little will change. In a year most people will forget.  Right now people are fired up, but it will pass.
    Restaurants who built their entire business around the buffet won’t be willing to let that go. Grocery stores won’t want to invest in what it takes to remodel all their stores. Maybe those things will eventually happen and salad bars/buffets will slowly die and grocery stores will slowly become automated as new stores are being built. But it will be a slow process 
    If 100k perish in a few months I don’t think anyone will forget this! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Going off OP Question... 

But if 20 million are out of work they won’t reopen a restaurant because it has a buffet? They’ll close stores because they aren’t automated?
    Restaurants that only have a small selve serve salad bar might get rid of it. But I don’t see big chains like Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes closing their doors and laying off more people, or temporarily close so they can change their entire setup.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    What virus?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Going off OP Question... 

I wish...I hope you're right...  but I think that's wishful thinking.

Historical events like these always change life...   The Question is what will change and how much will it change? 

Look at 9/11, not even a "Global Event" but had global repercussions and changed the world into a different place. This is a Global Event...

Going to be hard to go back to not caring about unseen virus'/germs...  

In a year will you be shaking hands?  Shaking hands might be a cultural thing that disappears..

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Going off OP Question... 

But if 20 million are out of work they won’t reopen a restaurant because it has a buffet? They’ll close stores because they aren’t automated?
    Restaurants that only have a small selve serve salad bar might get rid of it. But I don’t see big chains like Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes closing their doors and laying off more people, or temporarily close so they can change their entire setup.
    If people don't go they will close or modify to make customers happy. This isn't a new thing..  For example... See many Drive In Burger places like in the 50s? No...why? They became outdated and inefficient for modern needs.  The grocery and restaurant business will adapt... Those that don't will not survive.. Those that do will thrive.    

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Going off OP Question... 

If people don't go they will close or modify to make customers happy. This isn't a new thing..  For example... See many Drive In Burger places like in the 50s? No...why? They became outdated and inefficient for modern needs.  The grocery and restaurant business will adapt... Those that don't will not survive.. Those that do will thrive.    
    I would argue that customers dictated that change though for your 50's diner example. I do not see, especially in the USA, the customer not wanting buffets after this. The only way buffets do not reopen is if the government bans them forever. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,865
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Going off OP Question... 

I thought salad bars and buffets were disgusting before all of this. I have seen people use their fingers to pick things up in them. The whole concept is gross to begin with. I wouldn't mind seeing them all go away for good.

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    myoung321 said:

Going off OP Question... 

But did someone come by and close them over night, or did they all close over a period of decades? That’s might point. 1 year from now I don’t think we’ll see a big change with buffets and stores being self automated. That might be a change, but may take 10 or 20 years.
    Before this year is over Souplantstion will reopen and there will be a buffet. Safeway is still going to be restocking shelves manually.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    i think it has proven that many people who were previously told that it is impossible for them to work from home can actually work and be effective from home.

other than that, i am not optimistic that much will change. we are social creatures. we need to be around other people. this is why people are failing at social distancing now.

i think that as a species we will forget a lot of the lessons we are being taught. probably due to the fact that life moves so fast these days. 

if this were to happen in the early 1800s or early 1900s i think we would have more lasting changes to our behaviors due to family and village/neighborhood having more influence over the population at those times.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    Companies will look at supply chains.  May have more production come back to US or at least away from China.
  • Options
    We will be allowed to go back to plastic bags because all the sane people will realize there was a good reason for them.  

Oh, wait. That’s already happened.  Lol. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    People will learn what per capita statistics are and putting numbers in the proper perspective.  
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711

I surely hope that he looses but some polls say his approval rating has gone up and that does not build my confidence.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    We will get even dumber.
    People will continue to support the largest morons of our time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    I think stores will go with more delivery and less in store sales. Companies will have many more virtual employees and will lower their amount of office space.  And the next president and his administration will be much more prepared for pandemics. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We will get even dumber.
    People will continue to support the largest morons of our time.
    I don’t disagree. I also think some will adopt an asshole mentality...others, moreso ;)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    pjhawks said:
    I think stores will go with more delivery and less in store sales. Companies will have many more virtual employees and will lower their amount of office space.  And the next president and his administration will be much more prepared for pandemics. 

Except bookstores...  I hope.  I hope people will once again flock to bookstores.   I really, really hope so.  It's hard to imagine possibly not having a job to return to again. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Nothing, like 9/11 we might have to take off shoes in the US through security.

Elbow bumps instead of high fives.

People well go back to consuming self absorbed phone gawking assholes.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

That wasn’t even from 9/11. That was from the show bomber almost a year later. When we think about how angry we were, how much we said “never again,” 9/11 really has had little impact on our daily lives. Not much I do every day is different. 
  • Options
    One  thing I think will change is school closures. After 2+ months of distance learning under our belts by the end of this year, I think more school will move to distance learning instead of snow days. Some school around here already have. I know we didn’t take a few snow days because we were worried about having to make up minutes. This might push more schools and districts to using this model more regularly. Maybe even not just snow days, but possibly when X number of students come down with the flu in the future they can do it for a week. Or many other random events, school threats, plumbing problems, etc.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    mace1229 said:
    Smellyman said:

That wasn’t even from 9/11. That was from the show bomber almost a year later. When we think about how angry we were, how much we said “never again,” 9/11 really has had little impact on our daily lives. Not much I do every day is different. 

9/11 changes(ed) everything.

fast forward.

nope