I'm sorry but Gigaton is a major triumph!

Comments

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Posts: 1,118
    Edved82 said:
    Really top drawer album to my ears.
    Where dad hides the handgun and dildo
  • JM18725JM18725 Posts: 46
    This album is absolutely amazing.  Might very well be my favorite of their catalog.  I'm currently addicted to their Vevo visualizer.  Makes me wish I could have caught the dolby atmos listening expierience. :disappointed:
    already in love
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946
    The major triumph has been confirmed. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• I double this... Gigaton is a masterpiece, indeed a major Triumph :)
    ... and a long time listening experience that goes along with pure happiness!!!
    so I need to scream it out again: THANK YOU so much Pearl Jam, and please keep on rockin'
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    I am blown away by Gigaton. I was a little apprehensive at first - I loved DotC, but SBWM didn't grab me as quickly - but I can't stop listening to it. There's a really great feel to the album. It's perfect to listen to as a whole (especially when you're driving), but there are plenty of individual standouts too.

For some reason the only song that hasn't really clicked with me on it's own yet is Retrograde. It could be just because it follows the magnificent Comes Then Goes. It's not a bad song by any means, just not as instantly memorable as the others.

Also, when the song titles were first released I thought Buckle Up was going to be an MFC-type rocking 'car song'. Very much mistaken!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    goldrush said:
    I am blown away by Gigaton. I was a little apprehensive at first - I loved DotC, but SBWM didn't grab me as quickly - but I can't stop listening to it. There's a really great feel to the album. It's perfect to listen to as a whole (especially when you're driving), but there are plenty of individual standouts too.

For some reason the only song that hasn't really clicked with me on it's own yet is Retrograde. It could be just because it follows the magnificent Comes Then Goes. It's not a bad song by any means, just not as instantly memorable as the others.

Also, when the song titles were first released I thought Buckle Up was going to be an MFC-type rocking 'car song'. Very much mistaken!
    Re: Buckle Up...totally agree with you. Thought it would be a fast paced rocker that could open a show. My prediction was a little off. Haha. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Hell Yeah 
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    I really like Gigaton too. I've listened to it a few times and each listening gets better and better. Like others have said, it's a diverse sound for them with a variety of new sounds, and even a female background singer in Take the Long Way, which I love!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • I love this album.  I love that it's musically varied but so lyrically cohesive that it's almost a concept album. I love the point they're making. I love how different songs keep getting stuck in my head the more I listen -- there's not a bad one on this thing in my view, and some are instant classics while others are evolving for me each time I listen. I love the album art. It's a keeper. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I've listened to Gigaton probably 20 times while working from home this last week and the only songs I find myself skipping are Take The Long Way and River Cross. Everything else has clicked for me in one way or another. This album is awesome.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • donravendonraven Posts: 139
    This is an album that is going to have staying power - I am certain of it. Lots of layers here and variety. 
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    donraven said:
    This is an album that is going to have staying power - I am certain of it. Lots of layers here and variety. 
    Absolutely.

I can barely comprehend the criticism I've read to be honest.  There's far more going on musically than anything they've bought out since at least Binaural, yet it's really accessible.  I had zero expectations, but this isn't just a fun listen, there's a depth to these songs and the themes it covers that elevates it.  I think a lot of people will come around to it in time.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    donraven said:
    Yes!
    facepollution said:Absolutely.

I can barely comprehend the criticism I've read to be honest.  There's far more going on musically than anything they've bought out since at least Binaural, yet it's really accessible.  I had zero expectations, but this isn't just a fun listen, there's a depth to these songs and the themes it covers that elevates it.  I think a lot of people will come around to it in time.
    And yes!  I just listened from start to finish again and “depth” is a great word to describe it. I am discovering new things with every listen. Different songs are hitting me in different ways each listen as well. It’s a fucking gem of an album. And after each listen I find a different song stuck in my head. This time it’s Buckle Up which is the toughest one for me to fully connect with so far
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,152
    Starting to really dig Alright.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    Alright! It gets better with every listen for me as well.
  • potnikpotnik Posts: 461
    Why compare, Pearl Jam is always evolving as are we.  Seen them plenty of times and so thankful for the experience, look forward to the next time.  

"It's Evolution Baby"
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    JW269453 said:
    Alright! It gets better with every listen for me as well.
    Me too! Finally listened to the whole CD through a good pair of headphones and the slower songs really came to light. Buckle Up and River Cross are my least favorite at this point but still like them. Incredible CD! 
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,936
    edited April 2020
    Certainly my favorite since Binaural. Putting out your best work in 20 years I will take from them at this stage of their career, for sure.

Only one I don't think I will ever get into is River Cross.
    Post edited by 1STmammal2wearPants on
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited April 2020
    Not a song on this album that I consider skippable for me. That could change over time but right now I am very happy with this album as a whole. 
  • I love this album.  I love that it's musically varied but so lyrically cohesive that it's almost a concept album. I love the point they're making. I love how different songs keep getting stuck in my head the more I listen -- there's not a bad one on this thing in my view, and some are instant classics while others are evolving for me each time I listen. I love the album art. It's a keeper. 

... so perfectly said, thanks!!! ... and I completely agree  :)
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    I’m so glad B o B had nothing to do with the new album 
  • bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    There's not a single song on this album that I want to skip.  I can't say that about too many albums.  LOVE this one.
    Buckle Up. Love the entire album. Just thought this song was pretty cheesy. The lyrics and the kazoo sounding part. I would have rather had Can't Deny Me in this slot. Even Ole is better. Of the Earth would have been perfect since this is obviously a environmental themed record.
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    I support this message. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Cridder said:
    Check the song credits for Retrograde ;) 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,319
    on2legs said:
    The major triumph has been confirmed. 

• Cridder said:
    Check the song credits for Retrograde ;) 
    And, Quick Escape. 
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited April 2020
    I can’t compare it to other albums, but Gigaton is incredible; a major triumph, indeed! I can’t stop imagine quarantine without it!  
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    a bunch of people on here are putting Retrograde at the bottom of their lists, I think its the easiest slower song to go mainstream....I think it could do very well with the casual listener

Album is very good
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I'm digging it, tho I struggle a little bit with buckle up (mostly the bedpan lyric tbh). That's okay.

Comes Then Goes is my current highlight. I kind of hated Who Ever Said at first, but now I'm into it mostly due to the 2nd half mood shift. Lot of that on here. Reminds me of a Rush record in places, and that's a Good Thing.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    I fucking love the whole album period every single note! This band has been in my life since 91 they are masters of their craft, if it’s the last album I listen too in my life I would die a happy man! 
    Fuck Covid19
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....