Killer job on this vinyl!

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    mace1229 said:
    KV4053 said:
    I keep thinking about buying a turntable....and then I read threads like this.  Thanks guys. :anguished:
    I got into it in the early 90s when you could by a record player at a yard sale for $1. Speakers, receiver and everything you needed a couple extra bucks. Everyone wanted smaller and you could find floor speakers and records at almost every yard sale. And if it broke a year later no big deal.
    Hell yeah.  I got into vinyl in 1995 after watching Pump Up the Volume (remember that film??)

records were so cheap (even new releases).  I later sold almost all of them in the early 2000s.  Oops
  • dobybluedobyblue Posts: 51
    you can get a digital scale for less than $20 to check your tracking force

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/

• My etched side reads, “in the midst of the 6th.”
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    dobyblue said:
    you can get a digital scale for less than $20 to check your tracking force

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/

You vinyl guys really are mad... I mean that with love and respect
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    Yeah for those who are having skips, first give it a good clean and then make sure your tone arm is weighted properly.  Turn those little weights if need be.  Watch a YouTube video on it if need be- it could very well be the vinyl of course, but try to eliminate any other variables and it may help you out 
    If anyone is looking for advice/information on their turntable setups, this is the best vinyl equipment forum on the internet: https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/forums/audio-hardware.8/. People are knowledgeable and not jerks.
  • RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 401
    I cleaned it but it didn't help.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Great art presentation as always. 

Hd tracks version  sounds fine to me, have not spun vinyl, just got  it today
    edited March 2020
    hrd2imgn said:
    Great art presentation as always. 

Hd tracks version  sounds fine to me, have not spun vinyl, just got  it today
    That will be the vinyl cutting files, sounds decent to me too just not audiophile like the new remaster of AiC’s The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here gets close to being - can’t believe that got a substantially more dynamic remastering with no announcement or fanfare compared to the horrendous CD and picture vinyl.
    Post edited by dobyblue on
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Hmmmm - there has got to be multiple masters - just thinking about that whole Dolby Atmos thing....
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Played through a few times... no skips.

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    MedozK said:
    Cridder said:
    Not good either, kinda meh. Definitely compressed.

the record (vinyl) sounds good at lower volume but cranking it up def brings out the compression.

I know this is common nowadays but I was hoping for more dynamic range from the record after listening to the shitty MP3 version on my phone for the last week.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    lolobugg said:
    MedozK said:
    Cridder said:
    Not good either, kinda meh. Definitely compressed.

the record (vinyl) sounds good at lower volume but cranking it up def brings out the compression.

I know this is common nowadays but I was hoping for more dynamic range from the record after listening to the shitty MP3 version on my phone for the last week.

Agree, I said something just about the same over in the vinyl thread over in Other Music
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067
    Both of my records were skipping but I ran them through the spin clean and now there are 0 skips I'm very happy!!!
    Cridder said:
    Hmmmm - there has got to be multiple masters - just thinking about that whole Dolby Atmos thing....
    That’s an entirely different mix so of course it will be separately mastered.
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Sounds great... my only complaint is the sleeves are not big enough to protect the records... oh yeah, the price was steep too... not quite 42.00 USD... is that the price of new double LP’s? 
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    My EU copy is skipping across side A. And yes I have cleaned it and know how to set up my turntable. I wondered if this was a wider issue or if I was just unlucky?
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    matt84 said:
    Is the European pressing exactly the same quality?
    I would say so yes!
    -- rafa
  • ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    Did you notice the wink to Cornell on the inside picture ? I post it in other thread. Pretty cool. I think it was edited as the Cornell signature is very sharp
    -- rafa
  • JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 379
    Bant said:
    Just got my 10c vinyl, skipped on the first 3 songs.  Sigh, guess they didn’t improve quality control after the Lightning Bolt debacle.

edit, every song on the first side skipped. 
    Did you clean it?   Mine didnt skip at all.  Sounds really good
    Great listen on the wax, no skips at all!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Finally gave mine a spin today.  Had been listening to it on pretty good earphones and headphones via digital FLAC.   The Vinyl is putting it to shame.  Sounds amazing on my home stereo :)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    This record sounds fantastic!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    This may be one of their best sounding vinyls.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    mfc2006 said:
    I couldn’t agree more!  They did a great job on this one. The production...whoa
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Overall presentation, little easter egg etchings, fantastic art direction and finishes on the packaging (even though the ALL CAPS font bothers me), it all adds up to so much extra thought and care beyond a great album.
  • djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 181
    mfc2006 said:
    I was thinking that after my first few listens. Just in terms of sound and production, this might be their best SOUNDING album since...Vs? 
    edited April 2020
    mfc2006 said:
    I was thinking that after my first few listens. Just in terms of sound and production, this might be their best SOUNDING album since...Vs? 
    I’d definitely put it up there!  I love the way Binaural sounds but I’ll say Gigaton is at least the best sounding vinyl since then. In no order I put it in with these originals...

No Code
    Yield
    Gigaton
    Vitalogy 
    VS
    Binaural

I think next would be
    Ten, Riot Act and Lost Dogs

I thought LB, Backspacer and Avocado could’ve sounded better. 
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mfc2006 said:
    I’d definitely put it up there!  I love the way Binaural sounds but I’ll say Gigaton is at least the best sounding vinyl since then. In no order I put it in with these originals...

No Code
    Yield
    Gigaton
    Vitalogy 
    VS
    Binaural

I think next would be

That's pretty much my list as well. I think the reissue of Avocado actually sounds better than the original.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

No Code
    Yield
    Gigaton
    Vitalogy 
    VS
    Binaural

I think next would be

That's pretty much my list as well. I think the reissue of Avocado actually sounds better than the original.
    Interesting. I haven’t heard any of the reissues except Ten, Vs and Vitalogy from the box sets. I might have to pick that one up someday. 

Anyway, Gigaton is up there on sound for sure. They really did a fucking fantastic job on it. I listened to it outside by a fire last night through streaming and the vinyl just absolutely blows it away 
  • mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 212
    1 complaint only. Should have spread the 12 tracks across all 4 sides.  Not a fan of a blank side of vinyl.  Tracks and sides could be:

Side A
    Who Ever Said
    Superblood Woofmoon
    Dance Of The Clairvoyants

Side B
    Quick Escape
    Alright
    Seven O’Clock

Side C
    Never Destination 
    Take The Long Way
    Buckle Up